• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

fyi - Reading Apple Store has had stock of the wifi Air 2 since yesterday so I'm guessing most apple stores were the same in the UK. No 4G ones yet though.

thinking to go and have a look and maybe swap from white to black.

Cool, must check out the Belfast one when I get a chance.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just got my new Smart Cover though- not a fan of how cheap it feels (have not seen one since the iPad 2), and the design of the folded base makes it feel quite unsecure. I wish they'd make the magnet more powerful, I'm never quite sure if it's going to stand up by itself.

At least my iPad is complete now, feels better to use already. Now just need that jailbreak.

AndTAR

.. So apparently, according to iFixit, the Air 2 actually has the NFC module, despite the apparent lack of NFC support.

For later enabling of third-party NFC use perhaps, with just Apple Pay skipping support for the iPad form factor? (Similar to how certain stock apps are missing on iPad, maybe.)

Quasar

.. So apparently, according to iFixit, the Air 2 actually has the NFC module, despite the apparent lack of NFC support.

For later enabling of third-party NFC use perhaps, with just Apple Pay skipping support for the iPad form factor? (Similar to how certain stock apps are missing on iPad, maybe.)

I figured it would be limited to the LTE versions of the tablet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

isn't it just using touchID to authenticate and then transferring a tokenised version of your credit card info to the register? The register is the one doing any online confirmation of the transaction via your bank.

I hope they'll roll it out soon, once they've had time to iron out any kinks with the iphone version. Surely there are plenty of people that don't own iphones but sit in coffee shops with their ipads?

DOWN

Banned
I don't think its reliant on your device having a signal. It's the register that needs to send the token out.

EDIT: see above

fyi - Reading Apple Store has had stock of the wifi Air 2 since yesterday so I'm guessing most apple stores were the same in the UK. No 4G ones yet though.

thinking to go and have a look and maybe swap from white to black.
Yeah, I've been trying to get someone at Best Buy to tell me if they are going to let me pick up my preorder tomorrow instead of first thing Friday. No way in hell would Apple make all their third party partners lose to a 2 day head start exclusive to Apple. So even though my preorder said pick up on release day Friday, it's obviously going to be in stock tomorrow and I want it ASAP.

FerranMG

Does this mean that the iPad Air 2 would have the ability to use ApplePay exactly as the iPhone 6 does, but Apple decided to cut the functionality off?

DOWN

Banned
Does this mean that the iPad Air 2 would have the ability to use ApplePay exactly as the iPhone 6 does, but Apple decided to cut the functionality off?
Sounds like it. Just like iPad doesn't have a calculator built in. Or weather. There's some things they just don't seem to find worthy on iPad.

FerranMG

Sounds like it. Just like iPad doesn't have a calculator built in. Or weather. There's some things they just don't seem to find worthy on iPad.

Regardless, it seems it shouldn't take much effort for Apple to enable this.
I wouldn't ever pay with an iPad (lol), as I would never use it to take pictures. But hey, apparently people like to do the second. I just don't understand why would Apple cut features out of their products. :/

I hope they open up and allow third party access to the NFC chip soon (iOS 9?). Hopefully the iPads would get access to it too, then.

samn

isn't it just using touchID to authenticate and then transferring a tokenised version of your credit card info to the register? The register is the one doing any online confirmation of the transaction via your bank.

Exactly. This is why the Watch can make purchases even without being connected to a phone.

Red

Regardless, it seems it shouldn't take much effort for Apple to enable this.
I wouldn't ever pay with an iPad (lol), as I would never use it to take pictures. But hey, apparently people like to do the second. I just don't understand why would Apple cut features out of their products. :/

I hope they open up and allow third party access to the NFC chip soon (iOS 9?). Hopefully the iPads would get access to it too, then.

The iPhone 6 has more NFC hardware than the iPad. I don't know what the function of the NFC module in the iPad is, but the iPhone has additional components speculated to increase signal strength. Maybe the iPad module does not have an antenna for some reason? I don't know why it would be included at all.

AngryMoth

Got my air 2 yesterday. Love it, coming from a 2 the form factor feels amazing and opening/switching between apps is extremely snappy.

I don't think its reliant on your device having a signal. It's the register that needs to send the token out.

EDIT: see above

Yeah, I've been trying to get someone at Best Buy to tell me if they are going to let me pick up my preorder tomorrow instead of first thing Friday. No way in hell would Apple make all their third party partners lose to a 2 day head start exclusive to Apple. So even though my preorder said pick up on release day Friday, it's obviously going to be in stock tomorrow and I want it ASAP.

I was hoping the same thing, but I just got an email from Best Buy saying that my order will be ready to pick up tomorrow. Let me know if they tell you something different.

Damn that bestbuy trade in is sounding really good now, since im looking at a 64 gb air 2. But I know my mom would want my ipad 3 since she's on a 1.

Can games saves be backed up?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OK... so it turns out Apple retail stores in the UK will not accept returns of products bought from Apple online. Apparantly they are two different companies. While that might be the case, the staff at the Apple store were a little bit offish about it - can't they forward things to Apple online or facilitate the return for me, rather than me having to wait in for a collection which costs Apple more money?

So I ended up buying a black 64GB Air 2 and I'll compare it with my white one before picking one to return in a day or two. I love the look of the white one, but the black definitely works better with the laminated display - the black bezel camouflages the black edge to the screen.

LCfiner

But but I thought the tab refreshing was "deliberate software design" by apple and not because of RAM.

I have less tab refreshing on my iPad Air and iPhone 6 with 8.1 than I did with 8.0 or 7.X, so yes.

its something they can adjust in software. It appears they increased the buffer further with the 2GB Air 2, as should be expected. But the super frequent tab refreshing seen beofre on 1GB devices wasn't because the device was physically running out of RAM. Apple was always choosing to flush pages more quickly than they had to... which is annoying.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
X2EzuH3.jpg

both ipad Air 2. To me, although both have laminated screens, the white one looks more sunken because of the effect of the screen edges. But it is definitely a prettier ipad. Think I'll probably keep the black one though

mrkgoo

OK... so it turns out Apple retail stores in the UK will not accept returns of products bought from Apple online. Apparantly they are two different companies. While that might be the case, the staff at the Apple store were a little bit offish about it - can't they forward things to Apple online or facilitate the return for me, rather than me having to wait in for a collection which costs Apple more money?

So I ended up buying a black 64GB Air 2 and I'll compare it with my white one before picking one to return in a day or two. I love the look of the white one, but the black definitely works better with the laminated display - the black bezel camouflages the black edge to the screen.

Just feel fortunate you can even do something like that as a consumer. In my country, you cannot ever return something just because you don't want it. Bought it, it's yours.

You are right about black being great for content, especially movies. The White ipad does look nice though as a device.

If you went to an official apple store and not just a reseller, they are the same company I gelieve but wouldn't be surprised if they operated as separate entities at least in regards to some logistics. I would've thought they would've had system in place for facilitating stock like that. But yeah, maybe not. My country doesn't have any official Apple presence.

X2EzuH3.jpg

both ipad Air 2. To me, although both have laminated screens, the white one looks more sunken because of the effect of the screen edges. But it is definitely a prettier ipad. Think I'll probably keep the black one though

Have you used a white ipad before? It's not something you notice after a day or unless it's side by side

jts

...hate me...
http://i.imgur.com/X2EzuH3.jpg

both ipad Air 2. To me, although both have laminated screens, the white one looks more sunken because of the effect of the screen edges. But it is definitely a prettier ipad. Think I'll probably keep the black one though[/QUOTE]
This and the way it looks when the screen is off are the reasons why I'll never get a white front iOS device.

Much prefer the look of an all-black slab when the screen is off, rather than the photo frame look.

Psykoboy2

Mine showed up this morning around 9:30. Now it's time for the great case hunt. No idea what I want, but I compared to my iPad 2, it seems I won't have heavy use of it outside my home. I'll travel with it on trips and stuff, but otherwise, it'll stay at home.

Whatever the case, it needs to cover the back and the front, but also be as stable as possible when propped up for viewing horizontally.

Any suggestions?

BFIB

Mine showed up this morning around 9:30. Now it's time for the great case hunt. No idea what I want, but I compared to my iPad 2, it seems I won't have heavy use of it outside my home. I'll travel with it on trips and stuff, but otherwise, it'll stay at home.

Whatever the case, it needs to cover the back and the front, but also be as stable as possible when propped up for viewing horizontally.

Any suggestions?

I put a Poetic case on my Air. Has worked great.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have you used a white ipad before? It's not something you notice after a day or unless it's side by side

My previous iPad was a white air. I hated how sunken the screen was, didn't like the black edges, and didn't like the bouncy trampoline screen (thankfully gone on the air 2)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Pretty impressed with Air 2.

Coming from iPad 3, so the speed increase is insane. Sexy screen too.

I'm not used to feeling so much vibration with audio, though. Minor, and only, nitpick.

The smart case adds so much weight and thickness that I'll probably only use it for travel.

AndTAR

My previous iPad was a white air. I hated how sunken the screen was, didn't like the black edges, and didn't like the bouncy trampoline screen (thankfully gone on the air 2)

Really looking forward to that changed screen tactility. A bit weird I know, but it's seriously in my top 3 of desired hardware features.

I've found a considerable difference in keyboard-tapping this thinner iPad Air 1 surface, and then the older versions' more solid screens, for some reason. It's like that "granite feel" just works much better for eg. fast keyboard tapping, or something.

I guess it's just me because the black edges wasn't something that I noticed anymore after a little use. The black iPad and iPhone is just boring to me now after always buying black devices

HylianTom

Banned
Pretty impressed with Air 2.

Coming from iPad 3, so the speed increase is insane. Sexy screen too.

I'm not used to feeling so much vibration with audio, though. Minor, and only, nitpick.

The smart case adds so much weight and thickness that I'll probably only use it for travel.
I was torn between smart case and smart cover, but went with the cover. The only time the back of the tablet would be exposed is when it's in another sleeve in my backpack.

Now, to work-up the nerve to pull the trigger on the ipad itself. I have a hunch that this'll be the last one I buy for years.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I was torn between smart case and smart cover, but went with the cover. The only time the back of the tablet would be exposed is when it's in another sleeve in my backpack.

Now, to work-up the nerve to pull the trigger on the ipad itself. I have a hunch that this'll be the last one I buy for years.

Yeah, I may pick up a cover too. The case is just... Too much.

Oh, and color temp doesn't seem colder to me. Mine has proper white balance, and the anti-reflective coating is damn good.

Red

In getting antsy waiting on numbers for the upgraded imac. I think I'm going to wait for next year, but I'm really curious about the 295's performance.

Bebpo

Banned
I can't tell if I got an ipad air 2, it just says "ipad air" everywhere on the device and packaging. Is there somewhere that says air 2?

Bebpo

Banned
What does it say on the back of the box?

MGKM2LL / A iPad Air Wi-Fi 64GB Silver

next sticker:

Includes: iPad Air, lightening to USB cable....etc...

I think it's an Air 2 though because it has the Touch ID thing, but it just seems weird there's not a single place where it's referred to as the Air 2. Even in settings under about it just says "Ipad Air"

I can't tell if I got an ipad air 2, it just says "ipad air" everywhere on the device and packaging. Is there somewhere that says air 2?

Does the picture on the front of the box show an iPad with or without the mute/rotation lock switch?

So when the heck is best buy going to have this in stores?

I got an email this morning saying that mine will be available this morning. I called them this afternoon to see if by chance they were selling them early. I was told they already have their stock, but aren't selling them until tomorrow even though Apple started yesterday.

LCfiner

is there a mute switch above the volume buttons? if not, it’s the air 2.

is there a shiny ring around the home button for touch ID? is yes, Air 2.

are the speaker holes almost the thickness of the thing? it’s the Air 2.

samn

MGKM2LL / A iPad Air Wi-Fi 64GB Silver

next sticker:

Includes: iPad Air, lightening to USB cable....etc...

I think it's an Air 2 though because it has the Touch ID thing, but it just seems weird there's not a single place where it's referred to as the Air 2. Even in settings under about it just says "Ipad Air"

It's definitely an Air 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom