• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So who's returning their phones?

Who's going to skip out on buying one as a result of this?

Who is happy enough with theirs to hold onto it?

Just curious what the GAF status is. :D

Me? I'm not having any problems so I'm holding onto mine.

I guess no one actually held the phone in the cerebro chamber?
Well, it looks like they have people hold the phone in some of the testing chambers at least. Just not all of them.

hyp

StuBurns said:
Really? When do the bumper owners get our refunds?
yea i was at the mall while the conference was going down and asked about the free bumper. what they're doing in-store is allowing
you to purchase one and refunding it on the spot. not sure how it works with existing
owners, but they might make exceptions if you drop into the store. give em a call.

Eteric Rice

Apple needs to make their next phone out of this phone.

NOKIA_6010_LARGE.jpg

It gets reception just about EVERYWHERE. I still use one. :D

dark10x

Eteric Rice said:
Apple needs to make their next phone out of this phone.

NOKIA_6010_LARGE.jpg

It gets reception just about EVERYWHERE. I still use one. :D
Doesn't that have the antenna near the top where the FCC now forbids them to be located?

A lot of those older phones certainly did.

I had one of those back in 2004. Hated it, but it definitely worked. Only non-iPhone I've owned that I liked was a Sony Ericsson Walkman phone. It had a strange rotating design, but it had a very nice screen (for its day) and was enjoyable to use. The menu system was very decent for a dumb phone (good animation, snappy response, etc).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
BboyDubC said:
Do you *have* an iphone 4??? It is *not* possible for me to ever reproduce that problem by touching it "lightly". Me and other friends have sat around testing it. It is only possibly by firmly gripping that whole area with the palm of the hand. And even then, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't go down at all even after holding it like that for a few minutes, just as Jobs was talking about with the guy who owned a blackberry. These are facts, not speculation based on what you read on the internet.

yes, your anecdotal evidince on the internet is facts, not speculation you read on the internet. :lol

Pro apple internet post = fact
Pro death grip internet post = wild internet rumorz.

Sullichin

dark10x said:

Well, it looks like they have people hold the phone in some of the testing chambers at least. Just not all of them.

I'm keeping mine. Haven't had any problems with it. But I am still excited to get a free case.

StoOgE

dark10x said:

This is where I am. I have a 3gs now. I was going to upgrade to a 4 after the insanity died down a bit, but after using my coworkers and having massive issues (I have large hands) I'm going to hold out for the new phone (4g) next year. Plus the camera and speed upgrades should be worth the 11 month wait.

But I won't be buying it at launch to see if any issues pop up next year.

BboyDubC

StoOgE said:
yes, your anecdotal evidince on the internet is facts, not speculation you read on the internet. :lol

Pro apple internet post = fact
Pro death grip internet post = wild internet rumorz.

Stop being stupid for one second. I told you I MYSELF tested the device I own THOROUGHLY with several friends and we found it IS true if you hold it with your palm completely covering the area, but we found it IMPOSSIBLE to reproduce just by touching it with a finger to bridge the gap. Ergo, disproving your anecdotal evidence, since apparently you DON'T have an iphone4, saying that it happens when you touch it lightly.

Reading is fundamental.

Edit: Unless what you are saying is that since you don't have an iPhone 4, you can't properly do your trolling if you look at the pro responses, so you have to focus on the negatives that are actually lies (which you can't disprove) to be most effective.

BboyDubC said:
Stop being stupid for one second. I told you I MYSELF tested the device I own THOROUGHLY with several friends and we found it IS true if you hold it with your palm completely covering the area, but we found it IMPOSSIBLE to reproduce just by touching it with a finger to bridge the gap. Ergo, disproving your anecdotal evidence, since apparently you DON'T have an iphone4, saying that it happens when you touch it lightly.

Reading is fundamental.

And I've shown screenshots of my Internet connection dying from it lightly holding it compared to letting it freely rest in the palm of my hand without gripping it at all. How does your experience disprove mine? I'm now 5 minutes from Apple and Steve Jobs BTW.

StuBurns

Banned
BboyDubC said:

Reading is fundamental.
I have an iPhone 4, I can do it lightly with a single finger.

Vyer

Marty Chinn said:
And I've shown screenshots of my Internet connection dying from it lightly holding it compared to letting it freely rest in the palm of my hand without gripping it at all. How does your experience disprove mine? I'm now 5 minutes from Apple and Steve Jobs BTW.

Don't you find that strange?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
gutterboy44 said:
I have a 3GS and it is horrid with iOS4.0. So many bugs, freezes, restarts, etc. ugh. Just want one more year from it.
What? My 3GS works smooth as a butter with 4.0 Better than ever actually.

StoOgE

BboyDubC said:

Reading is fundamental.

Simmer down skippy. I own a 3gs, I love my iphone. I just wouldn't blindly follow Steve Jobs off a cliff. So I guess I'm a troll?

However, I tried my coworkers out to see how it worked and I had issues with dropped calls with it.

I'm glad you and your friends anecdotal evidence is superior to mine.. but I had problems enough that I changed my mind on buying the phone. I guess I must have been confused and made it all up though, because clearly you actually owning the phone proves that I couldn't possibly have had reception issues when I used it.

Also, don't use ergo in a sentence unless you want to sound like the guy from the end of Matrix Reloaded.

Tobor

hyp said:
yea i was at the mall while the conference was going down and asked about the free bumper. what they're doing in-store is allowing
you to purchase one and refunding it on the spot. not sure how it works with existing
owners, but they might make exceptions if you drop into the store. give em a call.
Just called the Apple Store here, they don't know for sure yet, but I'll probably have to go through the online page to get my refund.

No biggie.

dark10x

Yeah, I used my old 3GS on 4.0 before getting the new phone and it was definitely better than ever. Ran iOS4 very well. It's smoother on iPhone4, but the difference is reasonably minor.

BboyDubC

StuBurns said:
I have an iPhone 4, I can do it lightly with a single finger.

Then take it back because yours is in the minor category that is defective. That is impossible to do on mine and several of my friends' i4s. I would be inclined to believe you are lying, but if I had a problem where if I happened to touch my phone in a spot and it died, I'd return that crap first day.

StoOgE

Lord Error said:

I had a couple of problems with the phone not backing up properly that required me to delete my backup data off of my PC. Since then the 3GS running 4.0 has been smooth as butter.

It was right after a plane ride, so my guess is it might have been a time zone problem, but I have no proof to back that up. Like I said, after deleting the backup data I haven't had any issues.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BboyDubC said:
Do you *have* an iphone 4???
No, I don't and after seeing the problem in person I have no desire to own one either, until it's fixed.

BboyDubC said:
Then take it back because yours is in the minor category that is defective. That is impossible to do on mine and several of my friends' i4s. I would be inclined to believe you are lying, but if I had a problem where if I happened to touch my phone in a spot and it died, I'd return that crap first day.
I'm sure all the test samples in Consumer Reports testing just happened to be from that same minor category. They reproduced the problem with one finger as well, on all of them. The reason why you can't do it is either because you are in an area with a signal strong enough, (or you've received one of these new mythical coated metal models, which probably don't even really exist)

.la1n

Iv'e had no issues with my iphone4 but I'll take a free case anyway. This whole thing has been quite fun to watch though, I think it does some good to shake up the big guys from time to time.

I'm fucking pissed with Apple over this. Typical PR bullshit.

"Phones aren't perfect" - It's you that's holding a press conference over this, not Nokia or anyone else

"We can make the bumpers quick enough" - Wow. BS. Wow. BS BS BS. So much BS

If any other device came close the iphone for my needs then I would return mine instantly. Unfortunately none do and I have to live with the problems.

sangreal

BboyDubC said:

In the consumer reports test they were able to reproduce it every time with a touch of a single finger to the gap. Watch the video

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Bungieware said:

"Phones aren't perfect" - It's you that's holding a press conference over this, not Nokia or anyone else

If any other device came close the iphone for my needs then I would return mine instantly. Unfortunately none do and I have to live with the problems.
:lol at the overreaction.

Why is the iphone so special for your needs?

I don't see the benefit of this press conference. Sure, it was nice for a laugh, but a normal press release or 'a letter from Steve Jobs' would've gained better reactions and Steve could still be in Hawaii.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Bungieware said:

Can't you just return it and get a refurb 3GS instead?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Bungieware said:

iPhone fucking sucks. Apple is a horrible company that makes bad phones. Too bad no other company has a phone that matches up to the iPhone, otherwise I would get rid of this POS.

ZZMitch

K2Valor said:
iPhone fucking sucks. Apple is a horrible company that makes bad phones. Too bad no other company has a phone that matches up to the iPhone, otherwise I would get rid of this POS.

Ah, my friend, but they do! :lol

K2Valor said:
So the iPhone is so great that you wont get rid of it, but it is a POS and it "fucking sucks?" Which one is it?

K2Valor said:
This post broke my brain!

Baconmonk

Bungieware said:

Phones aren't perfect is right, other manufactures have had issues, but nobody else is apple, they're the ones under the microscope here for once, so they have to do something to save face.

And for the bumpers, if I was apple (pre-antennagate) I would not manufacture 3 mil bumpers. Why? Because there's a ton of other cases offered, and not everyone has the same taste (not to mention color variations). Now that they're offering them for free, of course they don't have enough, they need time to manufacture them, this isn't magic you know.

Also what exactly can't you do on a droid phone that you can on iPhone? I personally prefer apples phone (I have a 3GS), but aesthetics aside I can't think of any specific things one can do over the other.

That said, this is going to prevent me from upgrading early. iOS4 will tide me over until the iPhone 4-SA (super antenna) or whatever happens next summer

itxaka

Defeatist
dark10x said:

I'll be holding off a bit until I see reports of the thing being fixed. it's out on 30th of July so waiting a couple months isn't a big deal.

Plus by that time the white one will be more easily available for sure :D

Flek said:
this. I have no problems with ios 4 on the 3gs at all. Works perfectly.

I have no idea what the hell 3GS you have but mine is a joke. It lags when typing unlock codes, if I open camera it kills my music and sometimes fully locks up my phone. Once the fast app switching dock gets like 6+ icons in it the entire OS runs like mud. The green bar at the top when you are on a call randomly appears. I have done full restores and it is the exact same and I can reproduce the lag over and over. My buddy who has the 3GS has lots of problems too. Other than the folders and unified inbox, this OS is my least favorite. They actually removed functionality. I want triple click for camera damn it!

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Gary Whitta said:
This post broke my brain!

He was taking the piss out of Bungieware. :lol

Korey

Customer: Dang it my phone's antenna is faulty.

Apple: HERE'S A BUNCH OF PHONES THAT ARE ALSO FAULTY. NOW...BEHOLD CEREBRO!!

Customer: ...

Frank Lemon said:

That's impossible! BBoyDubC has done the testing for everyone and has found conclusively that it's not possible. So only one of the following is true:

1) You're a liar
2) You have a broken phone

There's just no way a slight touch could cause it to happen. BBoyDubC has declared this whole situation is a lie.

Interfectum

Korey said:
Apple Hating Fanatic: LOL iPhone 4 is a bust product. You should call Apple and try to return it. Whoop, you can't make calls, sorry brah!

Apple: This free bumper fixes it for the people experiencing problems, if that's not good enough for you just return it.

Apple Hating Fanatic: LOL I don't own an iPhone! [youtube video]

Fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom