• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Marty Chinn said:
Would you drop your phone three times on a concrete surface then? Or are you not confident enough in the construction of the phone and bumper?
No, and I wouldn't fall on my head multiple times to test a bike helmet, either.

Zeppu

C Jones said:
You keep saying it protects from drops but there is already video out there of the thing shattering from impact with the bumper on it. I agree with you about protecting against table scratches(main reason why I got one), but I think I'm screwed if I drop this thing outside. In the office I'd probably be fine though.

Huh? Do you 'work' in one of those offices with padded walls and floors? If so I have some news for you Timmy...

:p

C Jones said:
You keep saying it protects from drops but there is already video out there of the thing shattering from impact with the bumper on it. I agree with you about protecting against table scratches(main reason why I got one), but I think I'm screwed if I drop this thing outside. In the office I'd probably be fine though.
There are videos of all sorts of cases failing. They're not tanks, guys. Shit happens. Are you talking about the video where they dropped it like 4 times before it finally happened?

clav

25ko7me.gif

C Jones

josephdebono said:
Huh? Do you 'work' in one of those offices with padded walls and floors? If so I have some news for you Timmy...

:p
Haha, nah I just think I'd be fine if it went from the desk to the carpet. I'm not gonna do a drop test to find out thought haha

itxaka

Defeatist
SimleuqiR said:
I don't believe they will ever acknowledge any adjustments to the hardware publicly, but I assume that since "Free Bumpers" is a limited offer they will be fixing it down the road.

That is what I hoping for, as soon as the free bumper season ends, the phone will already come with something to prevent the massive loss of signal and everybody would be happy. Confirmation from them instead of evasion would be great thought, I would have to postpone my upgrade for quite a bit.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but isn't that the point of having the 30 day return policy? After all, some people don't have issues with it. So if you were already interested in the phone anyway, is it really a huge deal to buy it, use it for a few days and see if it affects you? And if so, return it and get your money back?

It's not like if you try the phone out you're stuck with it forever.

Some people changed operators for the iphone, I don't know how that works in the US, but here operators would never ever cancel your contract without having you pay a fine, and you will also lose the special offer for the iphone (much cheaper for people that change operators)

Stuck forever with a company is worst that being stuck with an iphone :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Apple is basically saying a bumper/case will fix everything and protect your iPhone. Then when iPhones start breaking becauses cases aren't all that (especially the bumper, which doesn't even protect 90% of the phone) -- what will Apple do? Blame it on consuemrs and say "You're dropping it wrong"? :lol

Can't wait to watch this unfold....

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
That was a horrible conference... why didnt they just have a quick "hey if you are having problems with the iphone, get a free bumber that may fix your problem and if that doesnt work then you can take it back with out worry." instead of this "every phone does it, and stats and all"?

I just dont get it...

Sullichin

AstroLad said:
Apple is basically saying a bumper/case will fix everything and protect your iPhone. Then when iPhones start breaking becauses cases aren't all that (especially the bumper, which doesn't even protect 90% of the phone) -- what will Apple do? Blame it on consuemrs and say "You're dropping it wrong"? :lol

What.

First of all, the description of Apple's bumpers says nothing about protecting the phone:

Dress up your iPhone 4 with an iPhone 4 Bumper. Choose one of six colors — white, black, blue, green, orange, or pink — and slip it around the edge of your iPhone 4. With metal buttons for volume and power, two-tone colors, and a combination of rubber and molded plastic, Bumpers add a touch of style to any iPhone 4.

Apple never said "if you drop your phone with a bumper (or any other case), it won't break."

If you drop something and it breaks, it's your own fault.

Zeppu

C Jones said:
Haha, nah I just think I'd be fine if it went from the desk to the carpet. I'm not gonna do a drop test to find out thought haha

I doubt anything would happen to any phone (without case) if you dropped it from the desk to the carpet. Maybe if it falls bang on one of the corners such that all pressure goes to one point and maybe get a dent, but...nah...

Hell I dropped my phone twice from my recliner on to the floor yesterday whilst playing SMG2 and responding to chat messages while Mario is flying through the air. Meh, nothing.

Besides, dents add character much like wrinkles.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
KingGondo said:
I couldn't care less what phone people buy, it's just funny for people who said they were considering an iPhone to completely rule it out after this press conference.

It's called a free market for a reason, and there are a bunch of great phones out there. All I know is it's BY FAR the best phone I've ever used (and has been universally praised by critics), so for people who have never seen one in person to be so reactionary is a bit silly.
*Shrugs* this is the corner that Apple painted themselves into after marketing it into everyone's heads for years that their products "just work" while portraying their competitors' products are unreliable. The other edge to that sword is that it just keeps raising the bar on everyone's expectations and the margin for error decreases sharply.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
What the fuck? I don't care. I don't work for Apple. I was just explaining to a dude asking about the design of the bumper.

You're a really weird fucking guy, Marty.

Well you said I was putting too much stock in that video as if implying that it could be more of a fluke than the norm. If that's the case, then you'd be confident enough to try it, just like you're confident enough in the glass to not scratch to not protect it. Same principle.

AstroLad said:

Since Apple isn't liable for damage from droppages I don't see how this is at all relevant.

To paraphrase iPhone prototype theft dude:

"Sucks for him. Shouldn't have dropped his phone."

I don't have the energy to read through the thread since the announcement, but how does GAF generally feel about this? I had to sleep through the conference.

Had a feeling this would be their solution, as it was the cheapest way to have their users avoid problems. I'm not sure why they stopped giving away the bumpers in the first damn place. they cost them next to nothing and just mean a little less profit on top of the huge amount of profit being made off of each phone sold! whether it's enough or not will be up to the individuals, I guess.

I do say, however...I'd be pretty fucking pissed if I were a case manufacturer. I'm about to cancel my $60 case pre-order because...well because Apple is going to give me a sufficient one for free. How many others will be returning their 3rd party cases because of this free solution? I understand from a few posts here that the bumpers will be free for only a certain amount of time...but some case makers are going to permanently lose out of business they would have had.

C Jones

There are videos of all sorts of cases failing. They're not tanks, guys. Shit happens. Are you talking about the video where they dropped it like 4 times before it finally happened?
Yes I was.

I completely agree with you that stuff happens and that they can break. I just think that if drop protection is something someone is worried about, there are probably better options than the bumper since all the glass is still exposed. I just think the drop protection with these things is pretty minimal, especially if you are outside where you are not likely to drop it on a perfectly flat surface.

But that's why I bought the bumper. I'm not a case person at all, and I only got the bumper because it's minimalistic and it protects against a table. I hate hiding phones behind a case.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sullichin said:
Apple never said "if you drop your phone with a bumper (or any other case), it won't break."

If you drop something and it breaks, it's your own fault.
Well whatever they may or may not have said (unlike some of you here, I don't have transcripts of everything Steve Jobs ever said handy at all times): you don't hand someone a shoddy helmet and then shun responsibility after they break their head crashing a motorcycle because "it's your own fault." No Court of Law would accept that argument.

subrock

AstroLad said:
Well whatever they may or may not have said (unlike some of you here, I don't have transcripts of everything Steve Jobs ever said handy at all times): you don't hand someone a shoddy helmet and then shun responsibility after they break their head crashing a motorcycle because "it's your own fault." No Court of Law would accept that argument.
wow, shut up.

I just figured out that Marty Chinn is like AstroLad, except the posts aren't jokes.

I'm not the one dismissing the dropped video by saying I'm putting too much stock into it. Amazing how you make such bold statements, get called out for it, and then act like something crazy happened instead of addressing it. Not taking much stock in a video is dismissing how valid it is.

elohel

AstroLad said:

lol

false analogy

who's dying from this phone?

edit: same guy that doesnt like smartphones?

Marty Chinn said:
I'm not the one dismissing the dropped video by saying I'm putting too much stock into it. Amazing how you make such bold statements, get called out for it, and then act like something crazy happened instead of addressing it. Not taking much stock in a video is dismissing how valid it is.
Dude, you are crazy. Don't front.

Let me spell it out for you: I don't give a shit about cases. I was just explaining to a dude why the bumper is designed the way it is, and you're in here all like "shit bro if you believe that you should go out there and drop your expensive phone a bunch or shut up." You make no sense!

Sullichin

AstroLad said:

This is perhaps one of the worst analogies I've seen.

I guess you have a cell phone case that unequivocally will prevent damage to your phone if dropped. Maybe you should just stick with that.

Flo_Evans

elohel said:
lol

false analogy

who's dying from this phone?

edit: same guy that doesnt like smartphones?

Seems people on this forum have a hard time understanding analogies.

Helmet = case
Person = phone

shitty case = phone breaks
shitty helmet = head breaks

How hard is that to understand?

Korey

-NeoTB1- said:
The conference was about what I expected. I'll be shopping phones tomorrow and this puts the iPhone4 back in my top 3.
How does a free bumper put a phone back in your top 3? How much do they cost?

great, so no takes for my questions. :lol

a follow-up: is Apple going to start coating that antenna silently in production runs in the future? if they're not giving the bumpers away forever, then that means they're going to address this, right?

Zeppu

I sometimes think Astrolad is never really kidding and he's just misunderstood and no one takes him seriously. Besides he always brings up rather valid points to any argument.

evil ways

Dreams-Visions said:
great, so no takes for my questions. :lol

a follow-up: is Apple going to start coating that antenna silently in production runs in the future? if they're not giving the bumpers away forever, then that means they're going to address this, right?

I'd like to know as well, they were so vague in that address, where they spent more time taking jabs at other phones, and promising free giveaways than actually giving a straight answer about future production runs.

If not, then no biggie, I keep my 3GS until my contract is up, then migrate to the EVO4G or whatever new smartphone that comes out between now & march and has the features that I'm looking for.

Flo_Evans

josephdebono said:
I sometimes think Astrolad is never really kidding and he's just misunderstood and no one takes him seriously. Besides he always brings up rather valid points to any argument.

A proper troll always has some element of truth to it :lol

I am in the middle of a busy move today and don't have time to read the thread. How do I get my free bumper? Can I go to an AT&T store instead of an Apple store? Not one in my town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom