• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I think I'm going to really enjoy the attempts by Apple to either spin this into something positive ("This simple bumper attachment will vastly improve your call quality!") or to bury the acknowledgment of the defect in the middle of announcing something else.

StuBurns

Banned
Jobs might bin someone, but I doubt it'd be to stroke his ego, if there is a recall, it's going to cost Apple, someone should be fired.

SmokyDave

Wish I hadn't browsed this thread. I now have PEACE burned into my screen. It glowed with the fury of 1000 retina displays.

teiresias

StuBurns said:
Jobs might bin someone, but I doubt it'd be to stroke his ego, if there is a recall, it's going to cost Apple, someone should be fired.
If it needs to be recalled because aesthetics were put before functionality then the person to fire would be Jobs. Everyone gives him credit for the phone - he shouldn't be held responsible for its faults?

All this Apple drama is now at the top of the Drudge Report btw.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
StuBurns said:
If they play it right, it's not really going to cost them anything, it'll still be a profit. Just a reduced profit.
And they gain image, which is worth more than you'd probably expect.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Oh man. This is such a disaster. Can't wait to see the outcome of the press conference. Was all set to upgrade...

Interfectum

teiresias said:
If it needs to be recalled because aesthetics were put before functionality then the person to fire would be Jobs. Everyone gives him credit for the phone - he shouldn't be held responsible for its faults?

Joke post?

You'd fire Jobs over a mistake that is being blown completely out of proportion? Eventhough he's basically the reason the iPhone even exists in the first place? :lol Some of you... just wow.

tino

Banned
Owensboro said:
The part of me that loves to read the rabid fanboyism / anti-fanboyism / trolling that goes on in all Apple threads really wants it to be a "deal with it" conference. These threads are always the funniest things I read all day. It's not every day that you can be reminded of school children arguing over who is cooler: Mario or Sonic (Super Nintendo / Genesis).

But realistically, I hope they 1) acknowledge there is a problem and 2) at least say they are working on a fix. I have a feeling #1 will happen no matter what, but how they present it could be interesting. I imagine there will be plenty of statistics and graphs that no one can prove or disprove that show it only affects a small percentage of phones. Then, #2 will happen and these forums will explode with "They didn't do enough! Those arrogant jerks!" and "See! Apple is a great company that cares about people!".

Hrmm... I guess it will be fun regardless of what they do. I still vote for "deal with it" though. :lol
I honest want a "deal with it" conference because I want to see steve jobs self destruct as much as roger ebert did at the end of his career. :lol

Yes, steve, that's what you get for cock blocking google voice from app store. Think I have forgotten that? NEVER!!

StuBurns

Banned
teiresias said:

All this Apple drama is now at the top of the Drudge Report btw.
Yes, it's his fault, but I'm pretty sure he isn't going to fire himself. If the owners demand a head rolls, it will, and it won't be Jobs, he's took the company from the ICU to one of the biggest technology companies in the world in fourteen years. He can do whatever the fuck he wants and the board will line up to rim him daily.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
JoeBoy101 said:
This is just priceless compared to the people over the past two days:

"Who cares about Consumer Reports?!?"
"Nobody listens to CNN anymore, least watched Cable News!"

Yeah that was the best. If I cared enough, I would go through that thread and pull some quotes for crow-eating justice.

Zeppu

I can't believe anyone thinks Apple didn't know about this before.

I find the fact that they dedicated over 10 seconds of a keynote to show rubber bands is enough of a proof for me.

3rdman

tino said:
I honest want a "deal with it" conference because I want to see steve jobs self destruct as much as roger ebert did at the end of his career. :lol

Yes, steve, that's what you get for cock blocking google voice from app store. Think I have forgotten that? NEVER!!
They are doing this on a Friday so whatever it is they are announcing, it's timed to see as little media coverage as possible. :/

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
StuBurns said:
This issue is too easily fixed for me to believe they've known about it for a long time.
It's a classic engineer's dilemma that's happened many times in the past where an arbitrary management decision overrides the technical side.

Marty Chinn said:
Here you go Burger, just for you:

23ua9hc.jpg
It's an Avant-Garde piece titled "Wait, I'm Confused. What if This Was a Mural Instead? I'm Just Trying To Understand the Scope of This Problem".

Some time i wished there was a RDF filter built in to my browser so i can skip over the obvious trolls.

Things you should know about Apple products, Never buy a gen 1 product, Never buy a Rev. A product from them. Apple has had a horrible track record of putting out new hardware designs with functional problems. First gen Al powerbooks, first gen unibody mac book pros, first gen mac minis, first gen time capsule

Flek

Banned
design follows function. Thats the nr1 rule of product design. And apples designer (steve ivy) KNOWS this. Whoever thinks that apple did this on purpose for design reasons is just plain stupid.

StuBurns

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
It's a classic engineer's dilemma that's happened many times in the past where an arbitrary management decision overrides the technical side.
Jobs might be an arrogant dictator, but he isn't an idiot, if the choice was ship a phone that works perfect, or one that doesn't, he wouldn't ship the broken one, I really can't see why he would. It just means having to come back and fix it now.

When MS shipped the 360, I completely believe they knew it was a piece of shit, but they couldn't afford to delay and fix it, they wanted the head start, and although it cost them a lot of money, it got them a considerable market share. I don't think the release date of the iPhone is a big deal in that same way at all.

I'm not saying he didn't know, but I doubt it, or at least, not so early that it could have been fixed.

Or, another alternative is they had the phone with the coating on and the normal signal wasn't as good and it came down to making the decision between good signal for most people, normal signal for all and they picked the former, hoping it wouldn't be the PR issue it has become.

Talon

Technosteve said:
Some time i wished there was a RDF filter built in to my browser so i can skip over the obvious trolls.

Things you should know about Apple products, Never buy a gen 1 product, Never buy a Rev. A product from them. Apple has had a horrible track record of putting out new hardware designs with functional problems. First gen Al powerbooks, first gen unibody mac book pros, first gen mac minis, first gen time capsule
...this is the 4th gen iPhone, friend.

josephdebono said:
I can't believe anyone thinks Apple didn't know about this before.

I find the fact that they dedicated over 10 seconds of a keynote to show rubber bands is enough of a proof for me.
So was it a conspiracy when they showed off the iPad case? What deficiency is that product fixing?

AVclub

Interfectum said:
Joke post?

You'd fire Jobs over a mistake that is being blown completely out of proportion? Eventhough he's basically the reason the iPhone even exists in the first place? :lol Some of you... just wow.
I keep hearing this "blown out of proportion" statement. Please tell me, what proportion of importance is telephone signal strength on a mobile telephone? Seems to me like it would be at the top of the list of most important things. If Apple had designed a phone with a "drop call" button on the lower left corner of it where many people grip the phone, would you still be defending them? Because that's exactly what they did.

Technosteve said:

This.

I'm surprised people are still trying to make excuses for this issue. I was hanging out with an Apple employee the other day and they were complaining about dropping calls due to their left handed grip. Its like Xbox fanboys during the initial wave of RROD.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AVclub said:
I keep hearing this "blown out of proportion" statement. Please tell me, what proportion of importance is telephone signal strength on a mobile telephone? Seems to me like it would be at the top of the list of most important things. If Apple had designed a phone with a "drop call" button on the lower left corner of it where many people grip the phone, would you still be defending them? Because that's exactly what they did.
Have you actually used one of these, though?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
StuBurns said:
Jobs might be an arrogant dictator, but he isn't an idiot, if the choice was ship a phone that works perfect, or one that doesn't, he wouldn't ship the broken one, I really can't see why he would. It just means having to come back and fix it now.

When MS shipped the 360, I completely believe they knew it was a piece of shit, but they couldn't afford to delay and fix it, they wanted the head start, and although it cost them a lot of money, it got them a considerable market share. I don't think the release date of the iPhone is a big deal in that same way at all.

I'm not saying he didn't know, but I doubt it, or at least, not so early that it could have been fixed.
They could've just come to the conclusion that it was a risk worth taking to release as-is and just underestimated the impact of the design. For all we know, Jobs may have been hearing advice from a bunch of people with enough technical backing wanting to push it out anyway who drowned out the objections and assured him the issue wasn't that bad.

So they could've known about it, sure. Whether the true scope of the issue was known to the higher-ups, who knows. Internal corporate politics always makes things unclear, as anyone who's worked in a large engineering/software firm likely knows.

StuBurns

Banned
AVclub said:
Know how many calls I've dropped so far? Zero.

It's 'blown out of proportion' because the amount of people affected isn't clear, but it certainly doesn't seem to be that many.

All the units are affected, but not all the users.

AirBrian

WordAssassin said:
WTF? Is that the original iPhone's box on the left there or is that some promotional thing? I had a 4Gig OG iPhone and I totally don't recall the box being so huge!
They're promotional bags given out during the 3G release.

StuBurns said:
Know how many calls I've dropped so far? Zero.

It's 'blown out of proportion' because the amount of people affected isn't clear, but it certainly doesn't seem to be that many.

All the units are affected, but not all the users.

Guess what, most product recalls don't happen because of the number of users affected. They happen because there is a defect in the production needing fixing.

StuBurns

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:
Guess what, most product recalls don't happen because of the number of users affected. They happen because there is a defect in the production needing fixing.
I agree, it does need fixing, that doesn't mean it hasn't been blown out of proportion, I've yet to meet an iPhone 4 user that isn't blown away by the product, let alone affected by this issue. I've met a lot of non-owners ripping the phone apart though.

Zeppu

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
So was it a conspiracy when they showed off the iPad case? What deficiency is that product fixing?

Lack of keyboard section means the thing cannot stay upright on its own. That deficiency. :p

SimleuqiR said:
Let's see what happens Friday. Sounds like Steve knew about the possibility of an issue.
Smh.

Still, someone on the engineering team must have told Stevie that while tough, it would be doable. I have a hard time believing that Steve would sign off on the final product if his engineers had come to him explaining the issue relative to where this antenna separation area resided.

Someone should have known better than this. And yes, someone needs to be let go because of it.

Had this particular seam been located on the bottom of the phone or even on the rounded corner, this would have been a minimal issue.

Smh.

andycapps

What does this have to do with anything?

You asked what showing a case during a conference shows. It shows that some people may want to put a case on their phone to keep it from getting scratched. What practical usage does a "bumper" serve? Other than covering up the problem area that causes some users to drop calls.. Sure, it keeps it from bumping into other things on the edges, but in my past usages with mobile phones, I've never noticed issues there, it's always been on the front and backs of phones.

Edit: I might be misunderstanding your original post, you asked about showing a case for an iPad. Apologize if I missed your point.

andycapps said:
You asked what showing a case during a conference shows. It shows that some people may want to put a case on their phone to keep it from getting scratched. What practical usage does a "bumper" serve? Other than covering up the problem area that causes some users to drop calls.. Sure, it keeps it from bumping into other things on the edges, but in my past usages with mobile phones, I've never noticed issues there, it's always been on the front and backs of phones.
It's a case. It protects against falls. The sides extend beyond the phone's normal thickness to protect against surface scratches.

These conspiracy theories are terrible.

cartoon_soldier said:
it's cute that you believe that.

hiryu2015

I finally caved and reserved an iPhone at my local Apple Store about 8-9 days ago. knowing my luck, I'll probably get a "your iphone is ready" email right before this announcement/fix tomorrow.

maybe the reception won't be so bad since i live minutes from apple

andycapps

It's a case. It protects against falls. The sides extend beyond the phone's normal thickness to protect against surface scratches.

These conspiracy theories are terrible.

So you take the bumpers being introduced as protecting the phone against falls, but that Apple doesn't think a full case is necessary due to the glass they use on the front and rear of the phone? That is certainly one explanation and is the one that people would like to believe. Hard to believe that Apple wouldn't have known about this issue prior to release, and some reports are indicating that people did and mentioned it. Bumpers would seem to resolve that issue... I don't see the huge leap in logic you seem to.

"Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday".

Steve Jobs walks on stage to start the press conference, the lights begin to flicker as if loosing electricity. Audience shouts, "You're holding it wrong."

StuBurns

Banned
hiryu2015 said:
I finally caved and reserved an iPhone at my local Apple Store about 8-9 days ago. knowing my luck, I'll probably get a "your iphone is ready" email right before this announcement/fix tomorrow.

maybe the reception won't be so bad since i live minutes from apple
Well you might be okay anyway, there are rumors that the latest batches have a coating on the antenna so they don't have the issue.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
andycapps said:
So you take the bumpers being introduced as protecting the phone against falls, but that Apple doesn't think a full case is necessary due to the glass they use on the front and rear of the phone? That is certainly one explanation and is the one that people would like to believe. Hard to believe that Apple wouldn't have known about this issue prior to release, and some reports are indicating that people did and mentioned it. Bumpers would seem to resolve that issue... I don't see the huge leap in logic you seem to.
Bumpers protect the surfaces very well due to the extended lip. That is precisely why I use one. The surfaces of the phone never make contact with another surface as a result of the bumper. Is also adds protection to the edges of the phone thanks to the rubber for minor impacts.

hsin

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Here you go Burger, just for you:

23ua9hc.jpg

Jesus.

Granted, I was trying to convince some random guy that was asking me about my iPad in the library that I was a native PC user and that I prefer the PC. Kinda hard when I also had out my iPod classic and iPhone 3GS sprawled across my desk.

clav

The announcement will probably be free bumpers for all iPhone 4 users, and the Apple fans will finally rejoice that iPhone is a JesusPhone again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
claviertekky said:
The announcement will probably be free bumpers for all iPhone 4 users, and the Apple fans will finally rejoice that iPhone is a JesusPhone again.
:lol exactly. Imagine if MS gave out a free faceplate to everyone affected by the RROD . . . the Apple Disciples would be all over it. Hypocrites much?

StuBurns

Banned
claviertekky said:
It cannot be free bumpers.

Right now Apple's official line is that it is not a hardware issue.

If on Friday they admit that a bumper fixes it, they are admitting that it is a hardware issue.

If they admit it is a hardware issue, they have to offer replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom