• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| WrassleMania Sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Expecting Christian to win the World Heavyweight Championship... even in this era of devalued title belts... is like expecting the Undertaker to lose at WrestleMania. There is no reason whatsoever to expect it to happen... period.

At least he's younger than R-Truth.

And you guys need to stop debating the merits of wrestlers being booked as wrestlers in the WWE. That company is no longer about wrestling and will never be about wrestling unless the fans take their industry back by protesting and/or building up another deserving company (i.e. not TNA) as legitimate competition.

"Daniel" Bryan Danielson is being used exactly as intended right now. THEY don't want him or anyone else to get over on his promo ability or on the merits of his WRESTLING ability even though we all very well know he can. It doesn't matter. He is now a member of APPLE and in the grand scheme of things Kaval will look like the smart one for leaving when he did.

Everyone will have their favorite characters or wrestlers for various reasons. Having done something interesting lately shouldn't really factor into it.

In the end he probably watches wrestling because he...... likes wrestling*?

*entertainment.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
JdFoX187 said:
That's like bitching that Sheamus would suck in a Nation of Domination reunion.

that could actually work. harken back to the times of slavery when the irish were just a rung above the slaves, and have him work that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's really a shame WWE now has a concrete policy with zero tolerance against Man vs Woman violence.

:/

I think women are equal to men, but that's another conversation. Asses should be allowed to be beat regardless of gender.

Zhengi

Christian
would be a great champion, imo. He's a good worker and he's pretty good on the mic. Just have him in a real feud with ADR and the two will put up entertaining matches.

RBH

Kyoufu said:
Why isn't Natalya being used any more? Is it because she takes a dump on the current "diva" roster in ability?
Because she bombs whenever she's given a mic.

I like Natalya, but her acting/mic skills during her time as champion was not too good. Of course, you could say the same thing for the majority of the divas as well.

Lunchbox

Banned
RBH said:
Because she bombs whenever she's given a mic.

I like Natalya, but her acting/mic skills during her time as champion was not too good. Of course, you could say the same thing for the majority of the divas as well.
you better settle your kettle mister or ill kiss king again

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
sajj316 said:
What does Christian exactly lack as a "sports entertainer" to NOT be champion? Just wondering...

If I had to guess it'd be personality. He's very dry now, very boring. Just my opinion though - some people get boners for him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Boring matches and moveset. No believability as a competitor.

I always did find it unusual he had a heel moveset, with the slaps and chokes.

Striker

He's had some pretty damn good matches with ADR recently on Smackdown shows - made them watchable. And his match with Edge back in 2010 I believe was the show's best all year. I don't know what wrestler you're comparing him to, or what type of current WWE guys you find entertaining and exhilarating to see. I'm in the midst of fandom of Punk, Ziggler, Christian, ADR, Bryan, and Rhodes has been impressing me lately. If you're looking for dry, cookie cutter matches, look at the bores on the main event scene in RAW (trio of Miz, Cena, and Orton).

UberTag

sajj316 said:
What does Christian exactly lack as a "sports entertainer" to NOT be champion? Just wondering...
You'll get an assortment of answers to this question but let's not pretend it's not anything except the following...

A) He ditched the WWE for TNA and went on to become a 2-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion.
B) Vince doesn't think he comes off as a credible fighter.

Christian has plenty of personality and has showcased it in the past. He's just not booked to have any right now (like most midcard faces).

Lunchbox

Banned
wheres the 2 goldberg marks that kept arguing about R-Truth

K-kwik is in the mainevent for the belt, while greenberg will probably end up in tna soon enough. now Whats up !

2f0antc.gif

If they gave Christian more mic time and made him a little bit more aggressive, he'd be sweet.

I like that R-Truth is getting a bit of a push. The top of the card was getting very boring.

Ryck

EraldoCoil said:
finally got around to watching the top 50 superstars of all time.

meh....
I watched The Chaperon yesterday, took a sick day was really bored and decided I would give it a shot. For what it was I thought it was executed fairly well and Trips did a decent job. Kinda reminded me of an 80's flick with an action type actor placed into a family friendly role.

Dude, Jesus Christ, this thread...

Shick Brithouse said:
Dream just speaks the truth and you guys don't want to hear it. Bryan has no charisma, doesn't identify with the crowd, and is about as entertaining as watching paint dry.

It doesn't matter how poorly he's written. It's his job to make the fans care, and he fails miserably at that. Even the boogeyman was over with the crowd, and that dude ate worms.

First, how the HELL is someone supposed to get themselves over in an environment that tones down the wrestling to where only the VERY TOP guys get any sort of time in the ring, he's stuck with this nerd gimmick, Michael Cole buries him on commentary, stuck in the middle of a bunch of divas who CAN'T EVEN ACT, is constantly in matches 2 minutes away from being classified as a "squash," gets no mic time, and is being watched over by creative directors who at any sign of a wrestler doing something THEY didn't tell him to do will YANK his ass out of the little bit of light they give him?

The current WWE environment doesn't promote creativity or wrestling. Unless THEY want you over, you AIN'T GETTIN' OVER.

Secondly, this is a ridiculous statement. In the past 2 years, when Christian hasn't been injured, he's consistently been a part of the best matches on Smackdown. he even pulled out a GREAT couple of matches out of Drew McIntyre.

Net_Wrecker said:
he's constantly been putting on the best matches on Smackdown.
A high bar has been set.

Net_Wrecker said:
First, how the HELL is someone supposed to get themselves over in an environment that tones down the wrestling to where only the VERY TOP guys get any sort of time in the ring, he's stuck with this nerd gimmick, Michael Cole buries him on commentary, stuck in the middle of a bunch of divas who CAN'T EVEN ACT, is constantly in matches 2 minutes away from being classified as a "squash," gets no mic time, and is being watched over by creative directors who at any sign of a wrestler doing something THEY didn't tell him to do will YANK his ass out of the little bit of light they give him?

The current WWE environment doesn't promote creativity or wrestling. Unless THEY want you over, you AIN'T GETTIN' OVER.
Who are you arguing with here, WWE or dream?

If that's the situation as it is, then dream's statements about Bryan are still correct. You're just going "but but but..." looking for excuses. He's not getting over, regardless of why it is that way.

A high bar has been set.

The best matches on Smackdown usually mean the best matches in the company as a whole anyway. You're acting like there have been matches on Raw that far outclass what Christian has been doing in the last 2 years.

Who are you arguing with here, WWE or dream?

If that's the situation as it is, then dream's statements about Bryan are still correct. You're just going "but but but..." looking for excuses. He's not getting over, regardless of why it is that way.

I was responding to Shick Brithouse, who I quoted. It isn't like Bryan has gotten the best possible push out of creative, and stunk up the joint...They give him NOTHING to work with.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Net_Wrecker said:
In the past 2 years, when Christian hasn't been injured, he's consistently been a part of the best matches on Smackdown. he even pulled out a GREAT couple of matches out of Drew McIntyre.

That's also a concern with talent - if you're injury prone, it's a little bit harder to put that kind of commitment and trust onto you as a champion and to structure long-term storylines around you. Accidents do happen though, and there are exceptions.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Net_Wrecker said:

I dunno, Santino and Kozlov have managed to do this exact thing, so perhaps Christian needs a fake unibrow and some actual charisma ;)

Sunflower said:
I dunno, Santino and Kozlov have managed to do this exact thing, so perhaps Christian needs a fake unibrow and some actual charisma ;)

SANTINO has gotten over, NOT Kozlov, and that's because they GAVE HIM MIC TIME, let him have great comedic spots in matches, and allowed him to connect with the crowd. When you're booked as a nerd stuck in between clucking chickens, never have a live mic, and just out there as cannon fodder for Sheamus, you...can...not...get...over.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Net_Wrecker said:
SANTINO has gotten over, NOT Kozlov, and that's because they GAVE HIM MIC TIME, let him have great comedic spots in matches, and allowed him to connect with the crowd. When you're booked as a nerd stuck in between clucking chickens, never have a live mic, and just out there as cannon fodder for Sheamus, you...can...not...get...over.

Bryan had these chances. Remember those horrid backstage moments with the Bellas, or with Gail Kim? Admittedly, they did not fit him as a character, but part of being a compelling character is finding the right fit for him instead of just forcing him into one role and tossing it aside.

Time will tell if he's truly a dud, or if he...wait, were we talking about Daniel Bryan or Christian? :/

Net_Wrecker said:
"But but but..."

You're really angrily repeating the obvious to all of us. I think this whole Bryan thing has gone over your head.

Sunflower said:
Bryan had these chances. Remember those horrid backstage moments with the Bellas, or with Gail Kim? Admittedly, they did not fit him as a character, but part of being a compelling character is finding the right fit for him instead of just forcing him into one role and tossing it aside.

Time will tell if he's truly a dud, or if he...wait, were we talking about Daniel Bryan or Christian? :/

Short of The Rock, NOBODY would have gotten pops from working promos with the Bella Twins or Gail Kim. That's all I'm trying to get across here. You can't get over unless you're put in positions that are consistent with your gimmick, and that allow you to get a "win" whether on the mic, or in the ring. Daniel Bryan has had none of that.

"But but but..."

You're really angrily repeating the obvious to all of us. I think this whole Bryan thing has gone over your head.

No, man, really I understand all of this. If we have to boil it down, my initial reaction came from the statement:

"It doesn't matter how poorly he's written."

That's bullshit. This isn't an environment where creativity, or working with creative is promoted. Guys only get over when Vince or people a couple notches under him want you over, or where a guy gets enough exposure to the point where crowd reaction DEMANDS that a guy be put over (ala RVD during his brief WWE Title run)

Calling out Daniel Bryan for being crap at the moment is just as bad as hating Cena as a person because of how he's booked. Creative is at fault here, 100%

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lunchbox said:
wheres the 2 goldberg marks that kept arguing about R-Truth

K-kwik is in the mainevent for the belt, while greenberg will probably end up in tna soon enough. now Whats up !

LOL...the other day I was trying to think of who the clueless one was that actually said R-Truth got bigger pops than Goldberg. Now I remember.

Net_Wrecker said:
Short of The Rock, NOBODY would have gotten pops from working promos with the Bella Twins or Gail Kim. That's all I'm trying to get across here. You can't get over unless you're put in positions that are consistent with your gimmick, and that allow you to get a "win" whether on the mic, or in the ring. Daniel Bryan has had none of that.

No, man, really I understand all of this. If we have to boil it down, my initial reaction came from the statement:

That's bullshit. This isn't an environment where creativity, or working with creative is promoted. Guys only get over when Vince or people a couple notches under him want you over, or where a guy gets enough exposure to the point where crowd reaction DEMANDS that a guy be put over (ala RVD during his brief WWE Title run)

Calling out Daniel Bryan for being crap at the moment is just as bad as hating Cena as a person because of how he's booked. Creative is at fault here, 100%
Your problem is you see the conflict as between the performer and his employer. We're normal dudes that see the conflict between us and what's on TV. It's obvious the guy has potential, but I'm not going to make excuses to everyone for how the writers present Bryan. All I see is what's on TV.

You're going too deep into the rabbit hole to where watching WWE is a meta game. It reminds me of the arguments everyone had in here about how Bryan was getting buried because Cole was making fun of him, when to any reasonable viewer, it was Cole putting him over because he was being discussed at all.

Your Cena example is strange because you're actually seeing that one from the other perspective. As it is, everyone dislikes Cena for his Supercena character. We don't make the distinction that he is a different person than how the company presents him. What we see on TV is what we get, so that's what you discuss.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Net_Wrecker said:

Would you say that the Boogeyman was over? Also, would you say that creative did a shit job with Boogey or a good one?

Your problem is you see the conflict as between the performer and his employer. We're normal dudes that see the conflict between us and what's on TV. It's obvious the guy has potential, but I'm not going to make excuses to everyone for how the writers present Bryan. All I see is what's on TV.

You're going too deep into the rabbit hole to where watching WWE is a meta game. It reminds me of the arguments everyone had in here about how Bryan was getting buried because Cole was making fun of him, when to any reasonable viewer, it was Cole putting him over because he was being discussed at all.

Your Cena example is strange because you're actually seeing that one from the other perspective. As it is, everyone dislikes Cena for his Supercena character. We don't make the distinction that he is a different person than how the company presents him. What we see on TV is what we get, so that's what you discuss.

If the problem was on the "surface" with Daniel Bryan screwing up his push, I would leave the argument there, but the problem isn't on the surface.

Sunflower said:
Would you say that the Boogeyman was over? Also, would you say that creative did a shit job with Boogey or a good one?

Horrible gimmick but he got over because they gave him time to work with it, and disgust people. Still more effort than they've been giving Bryan. Plus he interrupted a bunch of matches, and stole TV time from people.

Net_Wrecker said:
If the problem was on the "surface" with Daniel Bryan screwing up his push, I would leave the argument there, but the problem isn't on the surface.
Hence what I said about this all going over your head: people are trolling Bryan and saying he's getting cut and saying he sucks because it's a joke playing on that exact reason.

sajj316

I actually agree with Net_Wrecker on this. You need to be put in a position to be over if you are "new" to the WWE crowd. Winning the US title and coming out to entrance music that puts you to sleep right away is not it. The nerd that gets the ladies does not work.

The most entertaining thing Daniel Bryan has done thus far was on NXT where him and Cole went at it and his feud with Miz.

Hence what I said about this all going over your head: people are trolling Bryan and saying he's getting cut and saying he sucks because it's a joke playing on that exact reason.

Is it really a joke though? All of the comments are trolling?

If everyone was trolling, I'm done, but I don't think everyone was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom