• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar nosurge |OT| – Class__EXPAJA;

kiryogi

Banned
4 days~ I love Ion, I love you!
iI4qR68C4Q8Kf.jpg

Imouto

Banned
Wait there's more! I'll be giving away a NA copy of Ar nosurge too! Post here or tweet @kiryogi with hashtag #exapicopassion alongside a moment/song(and or) in EXA_PICO history (Meaning Ar Tonelico 1/2/3/Ciel nosurge/Ar nosurge) that moved you the most. Explain in a creative detailed manner! The most passionate and/or creative entry will win! Folks outside of NA can enter too, but they'll have to cover shipping. I will also feature the winning entry in the OT! And by creative, it could be a photo/image or video. Show that passion for EXA_PICO!

I'll let other folks take this chance, since I'm really bad at expression and writing :p.

It's nice to see them saying they are are looking into Ar noSurge Plus, but won't it hurt the sale of this one?

OceanBlue

I'll let other folks take this chance, since I'm really bad at expression and writing :p.

It's nice to see them saying they are are looking into Ar noSurge Plus, but won't it hurt the sale of this one?

I guess that's their way of leaving the possibility open without giving a definitive answer.

kiryogi

Banned

I think as mentioned before, even if they did, it's a long ways down the road, like a year at least if folks were willing to wait.

Einbroch

Banned
Never played a game in this series, threw this on the Gamefly queue. Just sent back another game so I have a free slot for Shadow of Mordor.

Excited to dip my toes in this series!

kiryogi

Banned
The first shipment of Ar nosurge Limited edition has shipped! Just Confirmed with NISA today when I was getting my order squared away. Sadly mine won't go out until Monday probably, but folks that got charged earlier this way will be getting their copies very soon!

The first shipment of Ar nosurge Limited edition has shipped! Just Confirmed with NISA today when I was getting my order squared away. Sadly mine won't go out until Monday probably, but folks that got charged earlier this way will be getting their copies very soon!

They haven't shipped mine yet either and I ordered months ago, it looks like I might have to wait a bit to play it.

Stage On

Wait there's more! I'll be giving away a NA copy of Ar nosurge too! Post here or tweet @kiryogi with hashtag #exapicopassion alongside a moment/song(and or) in EXA_PICO history (Meaning Ar Tonelico 1/2/3/Ciel nosurge/Ar nosurge) that moved you the most. Explain in a creative detailed manner! The most passionate and/or creative entry will win! Folks outside of NA can enter too, but they'll have to cover shipping. I will also feature the winning entry in the OT! And by creative, it could be a photo/image or video. Show that passion for EXA_PICO!

How I went to Tim Buck 2 to get my Game

Hopefully this story will count. It's not about the gameplay itself but the lengths I had to go to get myself a copy of Ar Tonelico 2. Basically as it came out really late in the Ps2's lifespan they didn't seem to print very many copies of it or something.

I don't remember the store but I had a preorder on it but they weren't able to fulfill it in which ended up leaving me high and dry since NOBODY seems to have a copy anywhere in Canada and believe me I checked all the local Eb games for both my town Oakville as well as Burlington and Missisaga. Nobody had it online either other the Ebay which had horrible inflated prices that I couldn't afford. After awhile I figured that I was pretty much screwed since a reprint seemed unlikely.

So a few months later in March 2009 I end up going up north with my parents to visit my Grandparents who live in a retirement community out in the middle of nowhere. The nearest town Lindsay was pretty small with the only place to buy games a mom and pop store called Iceman videogames. I'd made a habit of visiting Iceman every time I went to Lindsay since sadly it was literally the most exciting thing to do in town. Now they carried a lot of niece games in the past when I'd dropped in on prior visits so I was hoping against hope they'd have a copy of Ar Tonelico 2 in stock since I figured that was pretty much my last shot at getting it at that point and no such luck and I left devastated.

Now normally that's where things would have ended since we'd go into town on Saturday morning and go back to my grandparents place for the rest of the weekend where I'd be board to dead with no internet or anything else to do but this time something strange happened. My Grandfather, bless his soul wanted to into the next town over an hour away to a mall to do some shopping for stuff he couldn't get in Lindsay. I'd never been to this mall before and was board of my mind I went with them just to have something to do and at the mall they had an Eb games.

So I went into the Eb games and asked if they had a copy of Ar Tonelico 2. Turns out they had but they had just sold it minutes before I had walked in. Talk about rotten timing. I was so close and yet so far, but since they had a copy where nobody in my area did I thought maybe another store in the area would have one as well. I walked over to a phone booth cracked open the massive yellow pages and sure enough the town was just big enough to have 3 eb games. I called the second one in town and they had nothing and my heart sank just a bit further. By now I was expecting to strike out but at this point I'm gone to far to give up with at least calling the last store and what do you know they had a copy. HALLELUJAH

They where even willing to hold it for me until I could get over but now I had a new problem my mom doesn't want to take the time to drive further into town so I can pick it up. I begged and I pleaded but my words fell on death ears until my Grand father said "give the poor boy a break already." Finally reluctantly my mom decides to give in and drive me over but we hit another snag actually finding the place since this was long before she got her gps. We go to where it's supposed to be according to the address in the phone book and there's nothing. We drive further and there's a mall with an eb games listed on the sign outside the building.

Turns out this mall was actually the second Eb games in town and the first one I had called so I had the wrong store. We grab lunch and then head out to search the area for the third story but after a half hour of driving around my Mom is getting fed up from frustration and because it was freezing and wants to give up and just go back to my grandparents place.

I'm panicking at this point. I know there's finally a copy with my name on it if only we can find the blasted store to buy it at and if I don't get it now I knew that was it, game over since I was never going to come back to this town again and it wasn't like there where any copies of it back home. I ask to go around the block on more time and the gamer gods must have been smiling upon me that day since there tucked in corner nearly out of site across the street from the mall was a small out lit that you could just barely see coming only from that direction was a small outlit Eb games that we'd been looking for.

I run into the store find the copy of the game sitting on the highest shelf that even I can barely reach despite been fairly tall and quickly pull it down and take it over to the clerk and quickly pay for it thanking them profusely for having such a hard to find game in stock before leaving, clutching the game tightly in my hands knowing I wouldn't be able to play it for days since my system was back home and not at my grandparents. Ironically enough I still have the game in it's original shrink wrapping and haven't gotten around to actually playing it yet, but one of these days....

The third game ended up being a pretty close call as well as the store I went to get it only got two copies in but had three preorders including mine. I happened to be second in line and felt really bad for the guy behind me who had to go home empty handed.

Crispy

Thanks for this OT, especially the part about Ciel Nosurge. I have to review Ar Nosurge and booted up the game yesterday, but half of what happened made no real sense to me, partly because of the sometimes shoddy translation, but mostly because I didn't know of the events in Ciel.

By the way: can anyone else who has the English version of the game confirm that the NPC's talk complete nonsense? I can't make heads or tails of what they say. Oftentimes it's like all of the possible things they could say have been tossed into a hat, mixed and pasted randomly to the different NPC's. I had a young woman tell me that and old man like her appreciates the atmosphere in an area for example and oftentimes the first thing they say contradicts the second part of the conversation, or the first part actually feels like the second part.

redhairedking

Thanks for this OT, especially the part about Ciel Nosurge. I have to review Ar Nosurge and booted up the game yesterday, but half of what happened made no real sense to me, partly because of the sometimes shoddy translation, but mostly because I didn't know of the events in Ciel.

By the way: can anyone else who has the English version of the game confirm that the NPC's talk complete nonsense? I can't make heads or tails of what they say. Oftentimes it's like all of the possible things they could say have been tossed into a hat, mixed and pasted randomly to the different NPC's. I had a young woman tell me that and old man like her appreciates the atmosphere in an area for example and oftentimes the first thing they say contradicts the second part of the conversation, or the first part actually feels like the second part.

I don't have the game so I can't confirm, but that kind of shoddy translation sounds like what I was afraid of. I can't say I'm surprised really.

Kuro

Aww nuts. Have you played Ar Tonelico 1 and 2? Is the translation comparable to those games?

Mokoi

Banned
Well those songs posted in the OT have sold me on this game, and it seems that I have some reading to do. Also wish I didn't miss out on the limited edition.

Stage On

Sorta OT but still major news! We might be seeing the Ar Tonelico 2 retranslation by December! Merry Christmas?!~

Wait whaaa? Does that mean a Vita port or an HD remaster?

Either way I hope they fix the bug with that boss near the end of the game so that if you don't defeat it by the third defense phase it won't freeze the game anymore.

Stage On

It's a full on fan translation to make up for NISAs massive mess

http://www.at2.metalbat.com/

Well if nothing else that'll be as good an excuse as any to finally crack open my copy of 2 and play it, though for the life of me I don't know how the heck I'd actually apply the patch on a ps2.

Speaking of Ar nosurge I'm actually kind of disappointed how the standard edition this time around is so plain. It was nice how all the Ar tonelico games came with artbooks and stuff and you didn't have to pay anything extra for that.

kiryogi

Banned
Well if nothing else that'll be as good an excuse as any to finally crack open my copy of 2 and play it, though for the life of me I don't know how the heck I'd actually apply the patch on a ps2.

Speaking of Ar nosurge I'm actually kind of disappointed how the standard edition this time around is so plain. It was nice how all the Ar tonelico games came with artbooks and stuff and you didn't have to pay anything extra for that.

Well that's on KT, NISA went the extra mile for us otherwise.

matmanx1

The fan re-translation of AT2 is good news but I played it to completion and beyond with the original version and it was still a great game. Overall it is actually my favorite in the series.

Still working my way through the in depth Ciel summary. Holy cow what a read! Major props to whoever put that together. It's just like reading a novel complete with videos and pictures. I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in Ar nosurge. I don't think that you will consider your time to be wasted in any way, shape or form.

kiryogi

Banned
The fan re-translation of AT2 is good news but I played it to completion and beyond with the original version and it was still a great game. Overall it is actually my favorite in the series.

Still working my way through the in depth Ciel summary. Holy cow what a read! Major props to whoever put that together. It's just like reading a novel complete with videos and pictures. I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in Ar nosurge. I don't think that you will consider your time to be wasted in any way, shape or form.

Oh yeah, NISA's translation didn't bug me that much either. I was able to enjoy it to a massive extent, so much that I consider it the best RPG of the PS2 era.

And yes, the detailed Ciel summary is insanely good. I spent all of last week reading it, I don't think I've sat down with a book like that in a long time! Really good story, and definitely sets you up for Ar nosurge. I mean I only read the cliffnotes summary when I played the import and I was still pretty lost and not realizing how much I was missing out. After finishing up the detailed summary, everything in Ar nosurge all of a sudden means so much more now.

Stage On

Heck yeah it's officially the 22nd now which means

Some lucky people might even get a copy in the mail today a little ahead of release! Hope they enjoy it enough for both themselves and me :/

If only it'd been listed on Amazon.ca during the e3 sale...

bigmac996

I gotta ask, what's the general outlook of this game? I watched some footage several months ago and loved the phantasy-star online esque soundtrack, and I'm a pretty big RPG fan so I'm definitely interested. Has anyone played the import version or does anyone have know of any impressions?

Stage On

I gotta ask, what's the general outlook of this game? I watched some footage several months ago and loved the phantasy-star online esque soundtrack, and I'm a pretty big RPG fan so I'm definitely interested. Has anyone played the import version or does anyone have know of any impressions?

From what I've gathered reading what little importer impression's I've been able to find reception seems to be somewhat mixed.

Here's one review I was able to find
http://ecliss.net/blog/personal/games/reviews/138

But honestly as a big rpg fan you'll probably be ok with it as long as you don't go in expecting top of the line production values.

bigmac996

From what I've gathered reading what little importer impression's I've been able to find reception seems to be somewhat mixed.

But honestly as a big rpg fan you'll probably be ok with it as long as you don't go in expecting top of the line production values.

Thanks for the tip! As long as fun can be had, the production values don't matter at all to me.

kiryogi

Banned
Heck yeah it's officially the 22nd now which means

Some lucky people might even get a copy in the mail today a little ahead of release! Hope they enjoy it enough for both themselves and me :/

If only it'd been listed on Amazon.ca during the e3 sale...

Lol, nice image. Although it was only 9 PM for me when you posted that. Haha, I'll post the japanese countdown image in the morning.

I actually like this review a lot, meanwhile it sounds negative, he actually recognizes what Tsuchiya is is trying to do, like this statement right here, nails the money:

The more subtle reason that the Ar tonelico series is important is that having played it gives you an idea of what to expect from Tsuchiya’s games. He has never had the resources to properly depict the settings he’s thought up (if it’s even possible within the medium of RPGs,) and an awareness of the various ways in which he’s failed gives you an idea of what to look for to appreciate them a little more. Game systems that seem like fanservice, like the hero and heroine powering up by bathing together, become slightly less puerile when you’re aware that Tsuchiya has written pages upon pages about how he struggles to depict the bonds of love in his stories and that Surge Concerto, while still a little naughty, is considerably more wholesome than any of the Ar tonelico games were. I could go on, but there’s little reason to; either you share my perspective or you don’t.

I was pointed to some developer diaries for AT 1 before and after, and yes, this man really does go through pages just to explain every single thing in his world. Bottom line though, it seems like the review mostly has faults with how much of a shoestring budget the game was developed on, which quite frankly, is nothing new to AT nor Gust, but just an unfortunate reality. Makes one wonder if Gust had the budget of a Tales or Final Fantasy title just how much more realized would these worlds be.

kiryogi

Banned
I wonder when NISA is going to start shipping mine out.

When were you charged? If it was last week, yours should have been shipped friday, if not tomorrow. The NISA rep I was talking with said mine would have been set up and sent out friday evening or so, and I'd at late, get it on thurs.

Imouto

Banned
Damn, my local retailers didn't know about the game until I asked them. I guess I won't be able to get it on launch day.

Stage On

Eh so what if it's a little naughty, why does that have to be a bad thing? Some of my favorite anime like Heaven's lost property and Majimoji rurumo are a little naughty too and yet also both extremely hilarious and heartwarming at the same time.

And yeah sure it doesn't have the budget of Final fantasy but it doesn't have the development time either since Square can take over eight years on a game and still not be ready to go like with FF15.

I'd recommend giving Rpg Backtrack Episode 94 "Ou Est le Sol Ciel?" a listen for anyone who has missed out on the Ar Tonelico games, or people that have played them and just want a bit of a refresher before diving into Ar nosurge

http://www.rpgamer.com/backtrack/backtrack_archive.html

Link doesn't work for me.

I ordered a copy but I probably won't play it as I'm still reading the Ciel nosurge summary and I should probably play the first Ar tonelico first.

Stage On

Link doesn't work for me.

I ordered a copy but I probably won't play it as I'm still reading the Ciel nosurge summary and I should probably play the first Ar tonelico first.

Darn didn't know they had hot linking disabled :( Oh well I'll just link to the archive instead of directly to the episode itself

Eh so what if it's a little naughty, why does that have to be a bad thing? Some of my favorite anime like Heaven's lost property and Majimoji rurumo are a little naughty too and yet also both extremely hilarious and heartwarming at the same time.

What one person thinks is "a little naughty, hillarious and heartwarming" might just be juvenille and embarassing to someone else. It's a valid criticism.

And in the past, one could just ignore it and play something else, but in the world of console JRPGs, there's not much else. I just want some console JRPGs dammit.

kiryogi

Banned
1 more day! Although looks like there's shipping woes XD

What one person thinks is "a little naughty, hillarious and heartwarming" might just be juvenille and embarassing to someone else. It's a valid criticism.

And in the past, one could just ignore it and play something else, but in the world of console JRPGs, there's not much else. I just want some console JRPGs dammit.
Ill be frank there's some stuff like a hot springs scene or so, but never that too extreme since it earned itself a T compared to a M like AT3. Do you want me to PM you all the iffy scenes to better prepare yourself? TBH, as the review above mentions, this is actually one of the more wholesome titles in the series.

Top Bottom