• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar nosurge |OT| – Class__EXPAJA;

kiryogi

Banned
My LE finally shipped from NISA!

Still no email here. D: Probably shipping tomorrow. Again guess I'm a little glad I ran out to gamestop lol or something.

I'm really excited about the game getting released even if I still need to finish reading Ciel(which is really interesting so far), I wonder if I'll wait till I play Ar Tonelico or just forget about it and dive into Ar nosurge.

Which version are you reading? The detailed or the just the pastebin summary?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
My LE finally shipped from NISA!

As did mine!

HkMg62N.gif

Burn that midnight oil reading! It's a big day tomorrow.

I'm just curious to how important it is for my experience that I don't play the first Ar Tonelico game before Ar nosurge.

If it's not that important, then I might just dive into Ar Nosurge when I finish reading the detailed summary, I'm really enjoying it so far, really interesting world and Ion is adorable. I do plan on playing at least the first 2 Ar Tonelico games eventually(not sure about the 3rd one).

Stage On

Burn that midnight oil reading! It's a big day tomorrow.

Well it's already the 23rd here in Ontario so more like today which is why I posted my release day banner already :)

Detailed, there's no way I'd read the pastebin summary when someone did such an amazing job with the detailed summary.

Ditto. It's not quite the same as the full game, but it's the closest you can get in English so I'll take that over the cliff notes any day.

I'm just curious to how important it is for my experience that I don't play the first Ar Tonelico game before Ar nosurge.

If it's not that important, then I might just dive into Ar Nosurge when I finish reading the detailed summary, I'm really enjoying it so far, really interesting world and Ion is adorable. I do plan on playing at least the first 2 Ar Tonelico games eventually(not sure about the 3rd one).

Well given that it's a prequel to Ar tonelico I would venture to guess that the references are more a nice bonus for people that played previous games to the series and aren't integral to the experience.

Hopefully the kind that work both ways so that if you decided to play Ar nosurge first then Ar Tonelico later you'll still be able to go "hey I recognize that person"

kiryogi

Banned

Well like I said in the OP, the best experience is having played AT1 prior, as theres events that are very nostalgic that take place in AS. Maybe it could work playing it chronologically too. I mean I did play AS blind with just the pastebin summary as the detailed summary didn't exist back then and only having known fully Ciel as of last week. I've said it somewhere, it all depends on how you process your experiences.

Well given that it's a prequel to Ar tonelico I would venture to guess that the references are more a nice bonus for people that played previous games to the series and aren't integral to the experience.

Hopefully the kind that work both ways so that if you decided to play Ar nosurge first then Ar Tonelico later you'll still be able to go "hey I recognize that person"

Heh, did you ever look at the character roster on the website?

kiryogi

Banned
Yay, my order shipped! I guess it just takes time to go through the orders.

I think all of our orders have shipped but when they were processed determines when we finally get a statement. I mean, shipped as of what? 11PM PST here? Something automated going on.

OceanBlue

I think all of our orders have shipped but when they were processed determines when we finally get a statement. I mean, shipped as of what? 11PM PST here? Something automated going on.

Oh, you might be right. I checked tracking and it left the USPS facility at 11PM.

Well like I said in the OP, the best experience is having played AT1 prior, as theres events that are very nostalgic that take place in AS. Maybe it could work playing it chronologically too. I mean I did play AS blind with just the pastebin summary as the detailed summary didn't exist back then and only having known fully Ciel as of last week. I've said it somewhere, it all depends on how you process your experiences.

I can see how it can be pretty cool and nostalgic with the AT1 knowledge, as always thanks for the info. I don't know if I'll get my copy of Ar nosurge tomorrow so I have some time to make the decision, I need to finish reading Ciel at least.

kiryogi

Banned
And it's finally midnight in the west meaning it's launch day all across North America!

To commemorate Happy Publication Day with an image from NTNY himself! (from JP launch)

Now all that's left is for folks to go to their stores or wait on Grace Chen tomorrow :D Happy Ar nosurge Publication Day!

Stage On

One of the things that I have to say I like about the Nosurge series so far is how it breaks the forth wall and that you the person playing the game have a direct role in the story. There aren't a lot of rpgs I can think of that do that sort of thing

kiryogi

Banned
Initial impressions concerning dub on gamefaqs from someone that got it at a GameStop Fifa midnight launch:

I can confirm that none of the original audio has been cut out. At least up to the part I'm at, which is still kind of early in. But I even compared some scenes to videos of the Japanese version on Youtube just to make sure and so far everything is still intact.

I can confirm, however, that not everything has been dubbed in the English version. They didn't bother to dub the songs during synthesis, and there weren't any voices in the first Dive either.

So for those that were planning to play it with the Japanese voices it seems there's nothing to worry about. Those who were going to play it English though prepare to not have some stuff voiced.

Adding on to the above, the chats that take place while walking around dungeons aren't voiced in the English audio either.

Seems like they really didn't bother to dub much aside from the major story scenes.

Isn't it going to hurt the franchise in the west that many did not play ciel prior to this one? It really seems like a dumb move.

How integral is ciel anyway? Will you be totally lost or is it more like a Kingdom Hearts 2 situation (for those who didn't play the gba spin off)

kiryogi

Banned
Isn't it going to hurt the franchise in the west that many did not play ciel prior to this one? It really seems like a dumb move.

How integral is ciel anyway? Will you be totally lost or is it more like a Kingdom Hearts 2 situation (for those who didn't play the gba spin off)

Lemme illustrate something very interesting here. So in the above interview, Tsuchiya claims you can enjoy the title stand alone and won't have any trouble. . . HOWEVER, apparently at TGS he said that Ciel was essential to enjoy Ar during the Gust presentation. What do you think the reality is.

I'll say myself, Ciel is massively important, more so than Ar Tonelico if you had to pick one of the two to play catch up on before playing Ar nosurge.

OceanBlue

This is just speculation on my part, but judging by what people are saying about Ciel nosurge, it would probably have been a bigger financial risk to localize Ciel nosurge anyway. There's probably more interest in Ar nosurge than Ciel nosurge due to the genres, despite it being a sequel, and from there you either localize to a smaller audience or don't localize at all.

kiryogi

Banned
This is just speculation on my part, but judging by what people are saying about Ciel nosurge, it would probably have been a bigger financial risk to localize Ciel nosurge anyway. There's probably more interest in Ar nosurge than Ciel nosurge due to the genres, despite it being a sequel, and from there you either localize to a smaller audience or don't localize at all.

Correct, it was either this or no localization at all. If we're lucky and for some reason sales are enough. We could get Plus and Ciel. Doubting the latter but eh.

There's really no market for a game like Ciel unless it came off a foundation built by Ar first, at least in the west.

Thanks for the responses and yeah, i'll read the detailed ciel summary beforehand. AT 1 is fairly pricy in EU. I still think that they should have included a summary of ciel a la Final Fantasy XIII-2 but whatever.

Since my scars from AT3 still haven't completely healed, I'll possibly wait for a price drop.

The music is totally awesome and miles better than in AT3 so now I actually know what all the fuss is about. Minakata (apparently the battle theme) really sold me on the game.

kiryogi

Banned
Thanks for the responses and yeah, i'll read the detailed ciel summary beforehand. AT 1 is fairly pricy in EU. I still think that they should have included a summary of ciel a la Final Fantasy XIII-2 but whatever.

Since my scars from AT3 still haven't completely healed, I'll possibly wait for a price drop.

The music is totally awesome and miles better than in AT3 so now I actually know what all the fuss is about. Minakata (apparently the battle theme) really sold me on the game.

They sorta do. There's an ingame glossary explaining terms and events. But it's nowhere the depth required to have a proper understanding of what previously happened.

OceanBlue

Lol if it eases your concerns a little, the few people who talked about it in the import thread/announcement thread compared it to AT2, which has a completely different battle system than AT3.

kiryogi

Banned
so does this have good waifus

Did you not look at the OP XD Either way knowing you Ken, you'd eat this game up.

Lol if it eases your concerns a little, the few people who talked about it in the import thread/announcement thread compared it to AT2, which has a completely different battle system than AT3.

We've been at this before in another thread. He had us try and sell him on why AT2 was so much more superior. Many folks chimed in, including Aeana. Haven't heard a peep from him, but he seems really traumatized by AT 3. Couldn't blame him, but I wouldn't be positively championing this game as hard as I am now were it anything like AT3.

Did you not look at the OP XD Either way knowing you Ken, you'd eat this game up.

We've been at this before in another thread. He had us try and sell him on why AT2 was so much more superior. Many folks chimed in, including Aeana. Haven't heard a peep from him, but he seems really traumatized by AT 3. Couldn't blame him, but I wouldn't be positively championing this game as hard as I am now were it anything like AT3.

Oh yeah about that..I totally forgot to respond to these posts. What all of you wrote about AT2 sounded really cool and I quickly went to Amazon and ebay only to see that the game is effing expensive. And I have a history of giving in to fanbase hype only to be burned by the hyped up games so I am cautious about spending too much on games I would have ignored otherwise.

AT3 came out at a time in which I was starving for a HD console jrpg and yes it traumatized me. The battle system was not even the biggest problem. I remember endless dungeons, endless yadda yadda and a story that didn't go anywhere, padding, ridiculous balancing. And that core removal scene. It's without a doubt among the worst games I have ever played and I really tried to like it.

Durante

Say, Ar Nosurge is set to release on PSN today too, right? I was certain it would, and that's how I want to buy it.

Durante

I'd rather get the game even with no dub at all than not get it. It's probably the most expensive part of the localization.

Initial impressions concerning dub on gamefaqs from someone that got it at a GameStop Fifa midnight launch:

Pretty sure this is par for the course for most Gust game localizations. At least AT3 had this same deal, I think (I specifically remember a lot of lines in the log having icons indicating they were voiced but weren't actually voiced when playing the dub, never switched to JP to see if they were voiced on that side.)

Seems like reading up on Ciel is really important. I'm at work, so any sites gaming related are blocked.. I'll have to use my phone.

I wished I had pre-ordered a LE before it being out of stock. I'm jealous of those who did

Volcynika

I don't even think they could dub those songs.

I'm completely fine with the songs not being dubbed (they could've left them in JP for the English part, but I'm guessing that would take some extra coding or putting in the specific files to be used), it's just a bit frustrating to have most of the side stuff not dubbed, since I think Escha & Logy had a fair amount of VA for the most part. It's not a gamebreaker for me, but eh.

I will buy this for support of course but I don't have time to play it anytime soon sadly still I look forward grabbing my copy Thursday :D I liked AT1 and AT2 and even the third in a way so more Ar is awesome! :) Nice to have the detailed Ciel summery too though when I went to bookmark it I was a bit floored in a sense of hmm this page doesn't look so long I wonder why everyone here seems to take so long to read...

shufle17js6id.gif

so many chapter links! :eek: Thanks to whoever did all the work it really seems to be a amazing summery!

So apparently my LE still hasn't shipped yet. Which is kind of bullshit considering I might have been the first person to pre-order it (I happened to check before the announcement that it was up went up.)

Because I'm impatient and this is basically my favorite series ever I guess I'll just grab a normal copy on the way home and then trade it back in or something once I get my LE. Which means I'm putting two first week sales up on the board- YOU'RE WELCOME, GUST/KT.

kirby2096

ShopTo have dispatched my copy. Also the Playstation blogs have posted their articles on Ar nosurge. I've linked the short summary to the EU PS blog in my comment there, so maybe someone could do the same on the US ^^

BluWacky

Europe-GAF, I have received a shipping confirmation from ShopTo, so it's possible that other places will be shipping out soon.

I did read most of the Ciel no surge summary (not the super detailed one, that would be like playing the game...) so I do at least have a vague idea what's happening in this one. Perhaps.

I do slightly question the wisdom of creating a direct sequel on a different platform, even in Japan, that seems to rely so closely on knowledge of the prequel. At least, say, the Lightning trilogy got releases on the same platforms, for instance, or normally the handheld instalments of franchises take place in a different continuity from the mainline console ones. It can't be helpful for sales, is all I'm saying!

Durante

I just spent 2 1/2 hours reading the summary (and watching the corresponding Genometric Concert Digest videos). EXCITE! It's really too bad we didn't get Ciel, I know I'd have enjoyed it. This kind of meta storytelling totally is my thing (Ciel spoilers):
At this point, Nelico is getting really upset at the player and Ion for continuing to repair Ion's memories - she seems nervous, like they're about to find something out that they shouldn't know. Ion thinks hard for days (literally days, the game makes you wait several days to let Ion think) and finally remembers a recipe for a special vacuum-tube and for a robot. The robot is something special - as Ion creates it, she experiences Deja-vu and she sees mental flashes of herself walking alongside the robot, talking with it..and when she finally finishes crafting it, something in her mind snaps - she gets a massive headache and cries out in pain, and the PS Vita crashes (not really, but the game puts up a screen that makes it look like it has crashed). When the game comes back online, Ion's house has been half destroyed - most of the roof and parts of the walls are completely gone, and her dream world's locked memories can now be repaired.

Anyway, I'm hyped. Update already US PSN!

kiryogi

Banned
I just spent 2 1/2 hours reading the summary (and watching the corresponding Genometric Concert Digest videos). EXCITE! It's really too bad we didn't get Ciel, I know I'd have enjoyed it. This kind of meta storytelling totally is my thing (Ciel spoilers):

Anyway, I'm hyped. Update already US PSN!

When you can, make sure to read the indepth summary for Ciel!!!

And Hello World!

Top Bottom