• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar nosurge |OT| – Class__EXPAJA;

chrono01

I was charged last week and mine hasn't shipped yet either. :/

I should be receiving my LE Fairy Fencer today, though. So there's that!

Stage On

What one person thinks is "a little naughty, hillarious and heartwarming" might just be juvenille and embarassing to someone else. It's a valid criticism.

And in the past, one could just ignore it and play something else, but in the world of console JRPGs, there's not much else. I just want some console JRPGs dammit.

You're acting like the naughty hasn't been there all along. Go back to classics like Lunar or Phantasy Star 4 which had just as much sexual innuendos thrown around then as today does, the only difference was they weren't quite as upfront about it in the marketing.

Even Dragon quest, the grand daddy of Jrpgs has the infamous puff puff.

Jinko

You're acting like the naughty hasn't been there all along. Go back to classics like Lunar or Phantasy Star 4 which had just as much sexual innuendos thrown around then as today does, the only difference was they weren't quite as upfront about it in the marketing.

I would have to disagree, it has become much more of a "go to" for many low budget RPGs, same for anime for that matter. (beach episodes etc... "What is this shit it has nothing to do with the plot")

kiryogi

Banned

Well thing is, that was often text or hinted at, this series is upfront with visuals to illustrate it clearly. There's things I will and won't defend that they do. Anything that occurs internally (Genometrics/Cosmosphere), for example, I'm OK with.

As Jinko mentions, there's some stuff that occurs during the main storyline that is unnecessary and also more likely market pandering. Which I don't think was all in Tsuchiya's intentions, could be the Banpresto half of things after all I've read in developer diaries.

chrono01

I would have to disagree, it has become much more of a "go to" for many low budget RPGs, same for anime for that matter. (beach episodes etc... "What is this shit it has nothin to do with the plot")
The typical beach episode is crucial to any and all anime, if only for that critical "plot" development.

And by "plot", I mean:

iby7nnPi5piPc9.gif

kiryogi

Banned
Here's an example of the transition into RPG or bigger market even from their life sim.

Renall in Ciel nosurge and Ar nosurge respectively:

Zill

TBH, the most surprising thing to me was there was a severe lack of fanservice, at least in the main scenario portion of Ciel. Given the life sim parts, there's stuff like dates and dressing up whatnot, but it's nowhere as pervy. It doesn't make any sense why they're so properly clothed formerly, unless society really changed inbetween the two somehow. But even then.

Stage On

You guys joke about Beach episodes but when they are done right they actually do develop the plot and/or the characters and aren't just there for pure fan service.

kiryogi

Banned
You guys joke about Beach episodes but when they are done right they actually do develop the plot and/or the characters and aren't just there for pure fan service.

It's a mix of both, most of the time it is filler pandering. But it does at times serve to further character development.

The innuendo/fanservicey moments in DQ or PS or even more recent titles like Tales, Atelier and Sen no Kiseki don't feel anywhere close to the pandering like some other modern titles.

Maybe I'm crazy and blocking it out or maybe as I've gotten older (ie. my 30s) my tastes have changed and even though I still want to play JRPGs I'm no longer the target demographic. Who knows.

I think the comparison between outfits in Ciel and Ar is a great example.

kiryogi

Banned
Actually I totally forgot, Lunar did get pretty pandering. Hot springs and bromides XD Puff wasn't so bad until it finally hit 3D, in which case we got treated to well endowed bunny girls giving us ze puff puff. I think the worst of the list tho is Tales, Tales definitely panders on some levels, be it with outfits or the hot spring scenes.

Stage On

The innuendo/fanservicey moments in DQ or PS or even more recent titles like Tales, Atelier and Sen no Kiseki don't feel anywhere close to the pandering like some other modern titles..

What other modern titles are you talking about that actually get localized on counsel that are so pandering? Hyperdimension Neptunia?

Honestly I'd say most rpgs these days are fairly tame, what's the worst pandering you'll see in Tales games for example? Optional fanservice bathing suit costume you'd have to pay extra for. Pretty easy to ignore since you have to really go out of your way to acquire them.

Maybe I'm crazy and blocking it out or maybe as I've gotten older (ie. my 30s) my tastes have changed and even though I still want to play JRPGs I'm no longer the target demographic. Who knows.

I think the comparison between outfits in Ciel and Ar is a great example.

I don't know what to tell you friend, I'm turning 30 myself this year and I don't see much of a difference between the Ciel and Ar outfits. I'm certainly not having a hard time finding Jprgs to play, quite the opposite actually since I can't afford them all anymore and am starting to fall behind on releases.

That said I wouldn't depend on consoles alone these days for my Jrpg fix. If anything I game more on my handhelds since that's where a lot of these type of games are being made now.

kiryogi

Banned
What other modern titles are you talking about that actually get localized on counsel that are so pandering? Hyperdimension Neptunia?

Honestly I'd say most rpgs these days are fairly tame, what's the worst pandering you'll see in Tales games for example? Optional fanservice bathing suit costume you'd have to pay extra for. Pretty easy to ignore since you have to really go out of your way to acquire them.

I don't know what to tell you friend, I'm turning 30 myself this year and I don't see much of a difference between the Ciel and Ar outfits. I'm certainly not having a hard time finding Jprgs to play, quite the opposite actually since I can't afford them all anymore and am starting to fall behind on releases.

That said I wouldn't depend on consoles alone these days for my Jrpg fix. If anything I game more on my handhelds since that's where a lot of these type of games are being made now.

I think if I made a topic about this on the forum with those comparison images, many folks could see the difference. There's a clear showing of more skin in the Ar outfits. Even I admit to that, it's just really jarring coming from Ciel and demonstrates how they need to market it more due to the genre transition.

Stage On

I think if I made a topic about this on the forum with those comparison images, many folks could see the difference. There's a clear showing of more skin in the Ar outfits. Even I admit to that, it's just really jarring coming from Ciel and demonstrates how they need to market it more due to the genre transition.

Sure it's a bit more skin, but the outfits are still fairly tasteful and nowhere near offensive. Not sure what the problem is, as it's not really enough to qualify as fanservicy.

At worst Renall looks like she switched from a fall/winter setup to a something more suited for spring/summer when it's warmer out.

kaiju

Strange that I got the FFF LE a day before official release, but have yet to hear confirmation of shipment for this LE.

Any word on what the holdup is?

kiryogi

Banned
Strange that I got the FFF LE a day before official release, but have yet to hear confirmation of shipment for this LE.

Any word on what the holdup is?

No idea, there's some reports of folks having gotten their LEs though. Maybe it is due to the fact it's a KT release?

kierwynn

Just got the email that my copy shipped! I'm pretty hyped despite the fact that I can't play it right away. I have a feeling I'm going to start it sooner... just gotta finish the Ciel summary.

Stage On

Stage On

Any word on what the dlc for this game is supposed to be like? It's it purely cosmetic or does it add new characters like in the Atelier series?

matmanx1

Got my text from Gamestop today saying my pre-order of Ar nosurge would be available tomorrow in the AM. I'll go by and pick it up on lunch most likely but I'm not going to start it until I finish my read through of the Ciel synopsis.

kiryogi

Banned
Any word on what the dlc for this game is supposed to be like? It's it purely cosmetic or does it add new characters like in the Atelier series?

It's funny you mention that, I actually just got the last piece of JP DLC and finished it last night.

It's pretty neat. But I'll list off what's available. SO if you preorder with GameStop you get:

Dynamic Custom theme for PS3
Kanon and Nay Purification scenes
Ability to remove glasses on Sarly

The Kanon and Nay DLC will be available later and adds extra character development, so it's nice.
Sarly never available separately in JP I think.

The last piece of DLC adds new genometrics for both Ion and Casty that when completed will give you new songs to use with them.

Here's what you get for one of them, so hilarious. (Note Sirotaka is a MAJOR otaku)
http://youtu.be/8xeyzncohFU?t=8m32s

So, it's pretty neat DLC overall minus the comestic stuff on Sarly.

kiryogi

Banned
I got my shipping notice yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Looks like Thurs will be the earliest I see it. Still in Texas.

Customer Message Your order is currently being processed in our warehouse.

D: Well if my Gamestop does have enough copies for me, I'll at least have the regular to play around tomorrow morning. XD

Stage On

Not bad, good to see that they didn't go too crazy with the dlc for this.

Customer Message Your order is currently being processed in our warehouse.

D: Well if my Gamestop does have enough copies for me, I'll at least have the regular to play around tomorrow morning. XD

Just how many copies of this game are you planning on getting anyhow? 0_o Maybe it's time your tag got updated to "EXA_PICO's Bard" or something

kiryogi

Banned
Not bad, good to see that they didn't go too crazy with the dlc for this.

Just how many copies of this game are you planning on getting anyhow? 0_o Maybe it's time your tag got updated to "EXA_PICO's Bard" or something

Just 2! The LE and a regular to giveaway. Honestly if I could afford it, I'd give out more copies.

And that'd be a lovely tag but, this tag I have has a special meaning.

Stage On

Just 2! The LE and a regular to giveaway. Honestly if I could afford it, I'd give out more copies.

Heh I know what you mean. I've tried to get the word out on some niece series several times in my day and it's never easy getting people to listen even if you hand out flyers about them at places like Fan Expo or Anime north. But it's worth it in the long run just to have more people to talk about these things with.

At one point back when they where ignoring the series I was even considering buying shares in Namco just so that I could force them to localize more Tales games but realized that even my entire life savings wouldn't be enough to make a real dent so I stuck to more grass roots stuff like Project Rainfall.

kiryogi

Banned
New interview with Tsuchiya on Ar nosurge!

http://www.otakustudy.com/video-gam...kira-tsuchiya-director-surge-concerto-series/

First of all, congratulations on deciding to publish Ar nosurge in the international market. What do you think are some of the game’s defining features which will help it stand out within the JRPG gaming market?

The visuals of Ar nosurge focus on “moe” type characters, but the content of the game is a diehard sci-fi world. Almost everything in that world has a meaning, and it is derived from the history and elaborate setting of worlds from 5000 years ago to those in the distant universe.

In addition, in this title the “game” itself is included as a part of the world. The player and the player’s PS3 are both a part of this game called Ar nosurge. This can be felt when the players reaches the middle of the game. What sets this game apart from other RPGs is that the player can enter the world of Ar norsurge and save it. This sensation cannot be experienced in any other game. In Japan, where the game was released earlier this year, there were many players who said that they felt like they had awakened to the truth when this ‘trick’ is revealed.

Even if the visual style is not to every person’s liking, I hope players who enjoy sci-fi works will play this game. They won’t be disappointed.

It has already been shown that you have commissioned a new English dub for the game. Can you provide some idea of what proportion of the game will be dubbed vs just text, and like the Atelier games, will you be providing gamers with the option to switch between English and Japanese dubs?

Yes, there is definitely the option to switch between the Japanese and English dubs. In the main story and world of the mind, about 2/3 of it is dubbed. The key events in the game are fully voiced, so do not worry.

Ar Nosurge Plus has already been announced in Japan for the PlayStation Vita. Do you see it as a possibility that you would be able to publish this edition internationally at a later date if Ar nosurge succeeds in the western market?

If people who play Ar nosurge enjoy it enough to request the Plus version, then definitely I think we could release it overseas. So I hope that many people will play the game, and provide us with a lot of feedback.

I'm really excited about the game getting released even if I still need to finish reading Ciel(which is really interesting so far), I wonder if I'll wait till I play Ar Tonelico or just forget about it and dive into Ar nosurge.

Top Bottom