• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar nosurge |OT| – Class__EXPAJA;

kiryogi

Banned
I loved Ar Tonelico 1+2, but skipped 3. Rather excited, since this game seems to be much more well received.

I'm reading the summaries of Ciel, and apparently the story changes if you have carry over data from Ciel? Has anyone who has played comment on whether or not options were added or something for the localization?

Completely gone.

I ordered a copy from a local retailer and I just called and they told me they might not even get copies... I'm going to several stores tomorrow to see if I can find a copy, worst case scenario I will just buy it on PSN.

I'm going to finish reading Ciel soon(currently in chapter 10) and I really wanna know more about this story and characters now.
Do you know japanese, or are you somehow reading Ciel in English?

Tohsaka

I played the game for a few hours and enjoyed it, initially not planning on reading the summaries in case offline version of Ciel nosurge got localized, but I ultimately decided to read them anyway. I'm on chapter 4 now and it really sucks that they never localized this since most of the characters already know each other and everything in the sequel. I'm going to pick Ar nosurge back up tomorrow after I'm done reading/watching the summaries.

kiryogi

Banned
I played the game for a few hours and enjoyed it, initially not planning on reading the summaries in case offline version of Ciel nosurge got localized, but I ultimately decided to read them anyway. I'm on chapter 4 now and it really sucks that they never localized this since most of the characters already know each other and everything in the sequel. I'm going to pick Ar nosurge back up tomorrow after I'm done reading/watching the summaries.

Good man, Ciel is a fantastic read. Hearing folks seeing all the connections right off the bat illustrates how necessary Ciel is.

kiryogi

Banned
Going over some stubborn posts over various other parts of the internet. . .

Im not reading that. If the game fails at explaining itself well then thats the games fault and I will judge it for that.

- Agreed! People shouldn’t have to read a book before watching a movie, and we shouldn’t have to read a summary before playing a game. This game should be able to stand on its own and if it doesn’t, it fails.

facepalm.

kiryogi

Banned
Lol, maybe they don't realize that Ar nosurge is a sequel?

More choice words from the guy

I know but the game should still have a way to introduce new player. Skits or even journel entries. Not everyone is going to be able to get their hands on that game or maybe they dont like that type of game and like jrpgs.

Again you can easily fit some more info through skits or journel entries or something els. The writer and game designers should keep stuff like this in mind. What if everyone cant get acess to that game or what if they hate that type of gameplay. Video games dont have to worry about being on a fixed time as much as movies and tv shows have to so they can fill you in more if need be.

Something else funny too:
i just looked at more gameplay and noticed this game had random encounters. I can’t believe jrpgs in 2014 are still insisting on using such an archaic mechanic. That pretty much sealed the deal that this game is a rental or severe price drop purchase. :/

Imouto

Banned
That's...actually a pretty reasonable opinion. Having to read a fan summary of an untranslated game to enjoy this is hardly ideal.

His reason is the sequel should be able to stand on its own without any need for reading regarding the previous game. That's unreasonable.

You should ask people if you need to play Danganronpa 1 before playing the 2nd game. Look at what they tell you.

Durante

But the game has mechaisms to introduce players to the setting, easily well enough to follow along. For example, I think how the glossary is integrated directly in the dialogue system is pretty neat.

So far, I think reading Ciel does increase your enjoyment of the game, but it's not strictly necessary. You could play it and understand the story and setting just with the in-game explanations, glossary and character profiles.

OceanBlue

That's...actually a pretty reasonable opinion. Having to read a fan summary of an untranslated game to enjoy this is hardly ideal.

A sequel should expect that its audience knows about the prequel. The problem isn't that the game should explain everything about the prequel, it's that we don't have access to the prequel. Well, I agree that it sucks having to read a fan summary of Ciel nosurge, but I feel lucky that we're getting the game at all lol.

I agree, KT should have included an ingame summary of Ciel. I mean...what if these (good) fan summaries did not exist? I understand that localizing Ciel would not have made much sense but at the same time it does not make such sense to not provide any form of official substitite.

The thing that bugs me regarding these posts is that: if it is such a dealbreaker for you to rely on fan summaries beforehand, then don't buy the game. Simple as that. What are people expected to respond to that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The thing holding me off from this game is the fact that you don't get the whole story by just playing this one. I understand its a sequel, but then they should not have localized it without the prequel. Can't stand things like that.

Just how much of a fish out of water are you by simply playing through this game? Is it limited to simply a better understanding, or are you going to just be lost due to prior events without your knowledge?

A sequel should expect that its audience knows about the prequel. The problem isn't that the game should explain everything about the prequel, it's that we don't have access to the prequel. Well, I agree that it sucks having to read a fan summary of Ciel nosurge, but I feel lucky that we're getting the game at all lol.
I mostly agree. But that opinion was hardly so outlandish as to warrant a cross forum shaming session.

kiryogi

Banned
I agree, KT should have included an ingame summary of Ciel. I mean...what if these (good) fan summaries did not exist? I understand that localizing Ciel would not have made much sense but at the same time it does not make such sense to not provide any form of official substitite.

The thing that bugs me regarding these posts is that: if it is such a dealbreaker for you to rely on fan summaries beforehand, then don't buy the game. Simple as that. What are people expected to respond to that.

It's not so much a dealbreaker, they just expect the game to stand on its own merits. Similar posters posted Drakengard 3 as an example.

The thing holding me off from this game is the fact that you don't get the whole story by just playing this one. I understand its a sequel, but then they should not have localized it without the prequel. Can't stand things like that.

Just how much of a fish out of water are you by simply playing through this game? Is it limited to simply a better understanding, or are you going to just be lost due to prior events without your knowledge?

YMMV perhaps. Durante for example seems fine up there, but I've had fine discussion with folks that played both and was irritated at Ar because they forgot about details in Ciel that lead to/explain events in Ar. I'll say it again and again, it's all dependent on how you process your experiences. It's very much possible to play Ar blind and go backwards with Ciel to fill in the gaps if you want, but if you think that ruins your Ar experience first hand on the other hand.

Also, maybe you don't end up playing Ar, but Ciel itself is a great read on its own and very much worth checking out.

The Ciel summary is so well done that I don't even see it as a negative to have to read it before playing Ar nosurge, I've had a great time reading it and I'm now really interested to see what happens next.

The Ciel summary is so well done that I don't even see it as a negative to have to read it before playing Ar nosurge, I've had a great time reading it and I'm now really interested to see what happens next.
Yeah, I've enjoyed reading it a lot. It's so muvh better than that pastebin which I read and retained almost nothing.

Durante

At this point (so not too far into the game) I still think playing Ar nosurge without knowing anything about Ciel is perfectly possible. Of course this is hard to judge as someone who did read the summary, but I believe that the glossary introduces the terminology you need to know, and the character profiles give a rough overview of their backgrounds. Obviously, it's better and more involving if you played or read about Ciel, but that's a value-add, not a strict necessity.

I also agree with this though.

fedexpeon

Banned
Dang...Still haven't received my game yet.
Bad news, I accidentally ordered the game twice. Hurray for surprise charges lol.
Man, I need to get an app or create an Excel sheet on stuff I preordered.

OceanBlue

I mostly agree. But that opinion was hardly so outlandish as to warrant a cross forum shaming session.
Yeah, that's true. I expect it to be a common sentiment though, so I wanted to voice my opinion. :V

It would've been best if they localized Ciel nosurge. It would've been nice if they provided an in-game summary of Ciel. Judging from the reports of spotty QA work in places, I'm not sure they would've been able to do that lol. Creating an ingame summary would require way more than just a localization. Judging from the scope, it could require anything from a large increase in scriptwriting and QA work to more programmers with a more intimate knowledge of the game's engine to create scenes and/or import models from the Vita game.

Also it closes the door to an eventual localization of the offline version of Ciel nosurge if that ever were to happen. :D

If they could've provided a booklet with their own official summary, that would've been convenient enough. I'm surprised they didn't do that to be honest.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, I've enjoyed reading it a lot. It's so muvh better than that pastebin which I read and retained almost nothing.

Well it's around as an inkling to what happened in Ciel to shed a little more light in Ar, and maybe some folks don't have the time to read the novel presentation that is the detailed summary. But by all means, if they can, as folks here are mentioning in their feedback, it's really enjoyable regardless.

Yeah, that's true. I expect it to be a common sentiment though, so I wanted to voice my opinion. :V

It would've been best if they localized Ciel nosurge. It would've been nice if they provided an in-game summary of Ciel. Judging from the reports of spotty QA work in places, I'm not sure they would've been able to do that lol. Creating an ingame summary would require way more than just a localization. Judging from the scope, it could require anything from a large increase in scriptwriting and QA work to more programmers with a more intimate knowledge of the game's engine to create scenes and/or import models from the Vita game.

Also it closes the door to an eventual localization of the offline version of Ciel nosurge if that ever were to happen. :D

If they could've provided a booklet with their own official summary, that would've been convenient enough. I'm surprised they didn't do that to be honest.

What's unfortunate is that if we were to ask KT, they already officially claim (and in some capacity they are right) that it's perfectly fine stand alone, so they wouldn't have done anything about it. But it's funny how they flipflop about the position depending it being the West or Japan

OceanBlue

Actually, how they've handled Ar nosurge makes more sense now that I've heard that KT's official stance is that you can play it standalone. I didn't really get it before lol.

Lol hopefully I'm not sounding too defensive of how KT has handled releasing this game. I don't think it has been particularly good either, but I do think that they probably wouldn't have localized this game if they had to put in more resources.

kiryogi

Banned
Actually, how they've handled Ar nosurge makes more sense now that I've heard that KT's official stance is that you can play it standalone. I didn't really get it before lol.

Lol hopefully I'm not sounding too defensive of how KT has handled releasing this game. I don't think it has been particularly good either, but I do think that they probably wouldn't have localized this game if they had to put in more resources.

The official stance is amusing tho. I'm going to quote blackraen himself from another forum.

But that said, everyone here has some very valid points. Even going back to the Japanese release cycle, KT pressured (personal assumption) the Gust/Ar team into releasing Ar nosurge before Ciel nosurge was even finished, and even before they could really finish tuning the new graphics engine as well (hence the framerate issues people are noticing). So we actually received and played Ar nosurge with only 10 chapters of Ciel nosurge finished, with Chapters 11 and 12, and the Terminate Pack all still unreleased, only finally receiving Chapter 12 and Terminate at the end of July a few months back.

The issues everyone is having with the story of Ar nosurge is further compounded by market issues. Frankly, Ciel nosurge would bomb in the West. Despite what I said above, the marketing would have to describe it as a Dating-sim, and I hope everyone here can agree and understand that despite some personal interest, on the whole a dating-sim wouldn't be a success story. Even in Japan, the Sim/VN market and the RPG market doesn't necessarily overlap and KT had concerns about Ar nosurge's marketability, even going so far as to obviously pressure Tsuchiya-san to push the "No Ciel nosurge experience necessary to play and enjoy Ar nosurge" lines.

Going back to the Tsuchiya lines, if you missed it, @ TGS he said himself that Ciel was necessary to the enjoyment of Ar. So we got some really sleazy marketing going on from KT here.

Durante

I think I actually agree with the "no Ciel experience necessary to enjoy Ar" argument. I almost feel like I shouldn't have read about Ciel as then I could more confidently argue this. Almost, but not quite ;)

Of course, it's undeniable that you'll enjoy it more if you know Ciel's story.

kiryogi

Banned
Is there an official word whether they turn this into a trilogy? Or is Ar the final installment?

Nothing, and Ar does end pretty tightly. There's also the matter of how well it sold in Japan back then, but looks like there's Ciel offline and Ar plus so who really knows. I was sure back then the series was doomed though.

Durante

Nothing, and Ar does end pretty tightly. There's also the matter of how well it sold in Japan back then, but looks like there's Ciel offline and Ar plus so who really knows. I was sure back then the series was doomed though.
I just hope that Akira Tsuchiya gets to continue to make these crazy and unique games. (And in a way that has a chance of translation)

BluWacky

Very early first impressions:

- the mess they've made of NPC dialogue is kind of hilarious, trying to piece together how the conversations are supposed to slot together is actually adding to my enjoyment
- Nay's costume is ridiculous, but otherwise the fanservice is pretty inoffensive at this very early stage - even the purification stuff
- I might switch to English voices purely because so much is unsubtitled (battle dialogue, purification comments etc.)
- the story is an odd mix of introduction and "you should know these people already". Surely Delta's amnesia would make no sense if you've played Ciel, because you know his past already? The worst thing so far has been the odd references to "when you destroyed the barrier six months ago" - how on earth are you supposed to understand that???
- first Genometrics was wryly amusing in a very otaku-esque way

As I say, super early impressions, I've only had about an hour or so with the game. Which is probably longer than the editing team had with the script (seriously, how hard was it to spellcheck PLASMA?).

I'm surprised that this game got a T rating when it has not one but two scenes where girls are wearing nothing but soap and conveniently-placed hair in the first four hours. I don't remember AT3 having anything close to that and it was rated M.

I think I actually agree with the "no Ciel experience necessary to enjoy Ar" argument. I almost feel like I shouldn't have read about Ciel as then I could more confidently argue this. Almost, but not quite ;)

Of course, it's undeniable that you'll enjoy it more if you know Ciel's story.

Is anyone familiar with Boogiepop Phantom?

Short description: it's a show that frequently references a book that takes place, but all the necessary information is in the show if you pay close attention. The result is that you can actually enjoy the show more without having read the book if you put in the effort to listen carefully and really parse all the information in the show.

Is it like that in this case? Can Ciel's full story be gleaned from Ar nosurge? Or do you mean more that it is possible to enjoy, but not possible to get full enjoyment?

Durante

Is anyone familiar with Boogiepop Phantom?
It's one of my favourite "esoteric" anime shows, actually. Never thought it would come up in this thread ;)

Is it like that in this case? Can Ciel's full story be gleaned from Ar nosurge? Or do you mean more that it is possible to enjoy, but not possible to get full enjoyment?
It's too early for me to say. For now, I feel like it's a case of all important story bits being there somewhere, but I don't think you can get the same level of enjoyment out of it. Simply because these games are a lot about characters, and you know more about those characters if you played (or read) Ciel.

BluWacky

I'm surprised that this game got a T rating when it has not one but two scenes where girls are wearing nothing but soap and conveniently-placed hair in the first four hours. I don't remember AT3 having anything close to that and it was rated M.

AT3 had the player deliberately aiming to make the girls strip, moan voluptuously and tweak their nipples (in service of powering up, obviously, but still).

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
I really like the look of this game so I'm wondering, if I read that summary stuff for Ciel nosurge is that enough to understand and appreciate this game?

Zafir

I think when I get round to playing this I'll just try and fill in the dots as I play along. Not really feeling like reading an essay before playing it. Mainly because I just know I'll forget everything. xD

Just got this email...

Dear Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star Limited Edition customers,

Thank you for taking the time to place your order through our Online Store!

Unfortunately, our warehouse notified us of an internal error with their shipping system which has resulted in approximately 10% of orders being delayed. As of today, your order currently has not been shipped and is being processed by our warehouse, and for that you have our deepest apologies. Currently, all pending orders should be shipped out by the end of this week at the latest.

We have been working hard along with our warehouses to resolve the issue and ensure that no future orders will be affected by it.

Once again, we apologize and truly appreciate your patience while we work through this issue. Look forward to your copy of Ar nosurge very soon!

Thank you for your time and support!

I originally ordered this and Fairy Fencer in the same order because they had the same release date. When the dates got switched and I realized FFF would be shipped with Ar no Surge a week later I figured it was OK because I was more excited about playing Surge. Now I have to wait another week to get either of them? Awesome!

Volcynika

Took quick pics of LE.

ByUc4JYIQAAeaWE.jpg:large
ByUc4yMIEAAA6CC.jpg:large

ByUc3aSIUAE-Sza.jpg:large
ByUc5baIUAEPc6r.jpg:large

kiryogi

Banned
Just got this email...

I originally ordered this and Fairy Fencer in the same order because they had the same release date. When the dates got switched and I realized FFF would be shipped with Ar no Surge a week later I figured it was OK because I was more excited about playing Surge. Now I have to wait another week to get either of them? Awesome!

Lol yup, I'm in that 10% too. So glad I got the regular in the mean time

Very early first impressions:

- the mess they've made of NPC dialogue is kind of hilarious, trying to piece together how the conversations are supposed to slot together is actually adding to my enjoyment
- Nay's costume is ridiculous, but otherwise the fanservice is pretty inoffensive at this very early stage - even the purification stuff
- I might switch to English voices purely because so much is unsubtitled (battle dialogue, purification comments etc.)
- the story is an odd mix of introduction and "you should know these people already". Surely Delta's amnesia would make no sense if you've played Ciel, because you know his past already? The worst thing so far has been the odd references to "when you destroyed the barrier six months ago" - how on earth are you supposed to understand that???
- first Genometrics was wryly amusing in a very otaku-esque way

As I say, super early impressions, I've only had about an hour or so with the game. Which is probably longer than the editing team had with the script (seriously, how hard was it to spellcheck PLASMA?).

When you finish the game, you should check out the Ar nosurge Proto I posted. :D

Top Bottom