• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

People are stupid...

http://variety.com/2013/digital/new...nt-watermark-gag-causes-confusion-1200488124/

Fans of Netflix’s heavily hyped return of “Arrested Development” early Sunday were baffled by text watermarks, supposedly for video piracy software, in flashback scenes — a joke that misfired for some.

Watermarks with the text “Showstealer Pro Trial Version,” which appear in footage from the show’s run on Fox, are a prank pulled by the show’s producers. “Arrested Development” was canceled by Fox in 2006 after three seasons.

The streaming video company made all 15 episodes of “Arrested Development” season four available at 12:01 a.m. Pacific on Sunday, May 26. The premiere had garnered significantly more buzz than any Netflix original to date, and execs have counting on the skein to prop up second-quarter numbers.

A Netflix spokeswoman confirmed that the watermarks are intentional.

But many users didn’t get — or appreciate — the joke. Numerous ”Arrested Development” fans took to Twitter to complain about the watermarks immediately following the episode dump:

Did Netflix have to steal old Arrested Development scenes to put in the new season? There's a digital watermark 2:40 into the 1st episode...

Erm @netflix Should I be seeing this watermark? I can't tell if its a joke or not.

i hope that watermark on Arrested Development ep.2 is intended. HAHAHA. i don't even care right now.

@netflix @arresteddev WTF is this SHOWSTEALER PRO Trial version watermark that shows up? Not cool @Netflix.

Bacon

Excited for someone(with a lot of time on their hands) to piece together the chronological timeline of season 4. Must have been hell for Mitch Hurwitz and the writing staff to piece together that puzzle.

Downhome

I just got SUPER excited even more than I already am.

At the very top of this page:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Arrested_Development/70140358?trkid=2361637&leid=534

...they have a link that says "Season 5 Trailer". I clicked it thinking "no way" and no way indeed, it is just mislabeled.

EDIT:

Ok, it's not there now. I swear to God that is what it said when I posted the above though.

EDIT:

It is still in the page source...

<span class="seasonTrailerText">Season 5 Trailer</span>

Bacon

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Arrested_Development/70140358?trkid=2361637&leid=534

...they have a link that says "Season 5 Trailer". I clicked it thinking "no way" and no way indeed, it is just mislabeled.

EDIT:

Ok, it's not there now. I swear to God that is what it said when I posted the above though.
That would have been absolutely crazy if they filmed season 5 at the same time as season 4 and kept it quiet from everyone, and then released a month or so from now. A man can dream...

.GqueB.

Banned
Each episode is a building block for bigger, funnier jokes. Just keep watching.
Yea that's what it seems like. There's still something "off" about it. Barely paying attention to the show it's so uninteresting. The most engaging part is how it's going to all come together.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Yea that's what it seems like. There's still something "off" about it. Barely paying attention to the show it's so uninteresting. The most engaging part is how it's going to all come together.
They got lazy with the Netflix format. A lot of the gags run on for way too long.

That's the perfect word for it: uninteresting.
It's like Hurwitz cared more about making it seam together rather than making it funny.

The single focus format can take a while to get use to, but there are still plenty of laughs. The old show never had a 100% batting average with jokes and this doesnt either, but when it hits for me it usually hits hard. Im glad I didnt have unmeetable expectations that it reads like some of you did.

i dunno, i'm LOLin'

edit: i think people are just used to the frenetic pace of the older seasons... i mean, episode 1 of season4 takes place almost entirely in the dorm room, they really draw it out here where that whole plot would have been given maybe 4 minutes in the old series.

newsguy

Just watched ep. 1 and 2. Obviously the show is like the originals, where they have many inside jokes that snowball into funny winks and nods. Unfortunately, the writing is very different from what I can see. Jokes are way more in your face and lack that charming subtlety people come to expect. I'll reserve further judgement until I've seen the entire season.

Not sure if posted. Mitch Hurwitz note to the fans:

DI4VzEK.jpg

And in a more legible format:

To our friends, fans, supporters, detractors, haters, enemies, and arch enemies,

I'm writing on behalf of everyone who has worked so hard to bring back a show that's very special to us to say thank you for your ardent support of this show with the exception of the haters, detractors, etc.

We are also grateful for another chance to bring these characters to life and could not have dones [sic] so without your consistent effort to "spread the word" about it. Although obviously in the case of the enemies, the words you spread were "don't watch this show!" You know I probably shouldn't have even included them in the salutation &#8212; but I'm writing this in ink + making all sorts of mistakes. Did you notice the "s" at the end of the word "done"?

Anyway &#8212; it's been our great joy to bring this to you on Netflix where you can access it whenever and however you want.

Except, you know, it's really meant to be watched in order.

And you really should watch them all &#8212; because they build and, I'm just saying "eventually." If you can. All 15.

But really this is yours now.

Except for the obvious copyright issues. And you have to subscribe to Netflix.

So it's not completely yours I guess.

I'm not going to write in ink anymore.

I love you,
Mitch Hurwitz
Creator: Arrested Development

Sanjuro

I'm not sure I like the new format they've gone for in this season, but it's still fairly solid. I'm on episode ten.

I loved the MST3k reference. Bring it back netflix!!

.GqueB.

Banned
That's the perfect word for it: uninteresting.
It's like Hurwitz cared more about making it seam together rather than making it funny.

Pretty much yea. I'm finding it hard to give a shit about anything. The stakes were so clear in the first few seasons. Father in jail. The most responsible son is in charge. Family is insane. Easy. Now they're trying to weave this whole intricate sort but they aren't giving you a reason to care yet. I'm two episodes in waiting for the show to crawl out of its own ass.

Just watched ep. 1 and 2. Obviously the show is like the originals, where they have many inside jokes that snowball into funny winks and nods. Unfortunately, the writing is very different from what I can see. Jokes are way more in your face and lack that charming subtlety people come to expect. I'll reserve further judgement until I've seen the entire season.

That's a big issue of mine. It's lacks subtlety. There were always ah ha moments in this show but you never saw them coming. But I find myself thinking "Oh they'll explain why that's funny later" so often. Showing humility. My phone doesn't do that. Etc etc. Yea I know you'll explain it later but don't be so obvious about it. Especially while not being funny otherwise.

Episode 4 better be dope yall. DOPE!

aparisi2274

How are you people forming an opinion after 1 or 2 episodes?? I'm up to episode 10 and its been damn good so far. Were there some misses? Sure. But it's been pretty solid so far.

Divius

I'm up to episode 6 and I'm not sure what I think yet. Somewhat disappointed to say the least, but the last (4/5/6) episodes were better than the first (1/2/3) so I have hope for what's to come. I'll hold off on forming an opinion until I've seen the new season at least twice.

Not sure when I'll watch the remaining eps. Maybe tomorrow,
tumblr_lzdfkkQMQe1qjd2rpo1_500.jpg

plainr_

I agree, the audio mixing is terrible. At times, you can't even make out what Ron Howard is saying when he speaks over the characters. The timing is off too it seems.

aparisi2274

I agree, the audio mixing is terrible. At times, you can't even make out what Ron Howard is saying when he speaks over the characters. The timing is off too it seems.

Really?!?! I'm 10 eps in, and never had that issue. I've been able to hear every word he's said.

The green screen moments up to episode 10 are very rare and not bad. There have been maybe a couple. Barry and Lucile 2 were two I noticed. I just don't get the need to even add them. And ridiculous that you couldn't get everyone together for a day to shoot those scenes.

Blader

Yeah, there's a lot of shit Michael said in ep. 1 that I couldn't make out at all.

Downhome

EDIT:

EDIT:

It is still in the page source...

<span class="seasonTrailerText">Season 5 Trailer</span>

I see it again now...

gTolVuQ.jpg

Weenerz

Banned
I don't know how to describe it, but this season, the comedy feels more obvious, less smart than it was before Netflix got their hands on it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Episode one isn't very good but it gets progressively funnier as it goes on. They might go overboard with the storythreads.

10 down, 5 to go. Also you really should watch them in order.

SkyandSun

Banned
Up to episode 10, my opinion keeps changing but consistently I do miss the cast interaction. Was it really that hard to get the cast in the same room together?

Anyway, will need to complete the season then rewatch to come to a firm opinion

.GqueB.

Banned
I don't know how to describe it, but this season, he comedy feels more obvious, less smart than it was before Netflix got their hands on it.
Why is everyone blaming Netflix?

At any rate, this is one of those things I want to embrace out of principaI. I like the idea of shows being brought back to life like this. Sort of like heavy rain on the gaming side of things. You don't have to like it, but we should damn sure encourage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom