• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliCash

Wee Britain wasn't great but it's leaps and bounds above anything in this season.

I think just about everything in this season is funnier than Wee Britain. Even stuff in the weaker episodes: like Michael sharing a college dorm with George Michael and a guy called P-hound or George Sr. taking businessmen into sweat lodges to sell them $10,000 glasses of lemonade. The first few episodes are the worst but they have funny ideas in them. And I think the rest of the season has some gold that's leaps and bounds above a lot of season 3: like GOB's second episode.

Brinbe

Just rewatching some things now and I'm pretty glad we actually got to see Tracey too. (presumably thin Tracey at the end)

It's weird, I thought Marky Bark was pretty much the weakest new addition, but everything around him; Swappigans, Debris, the Method One Clinic, etc; was so top tier I could never be annoyed at him for very long.

I also loved the nice touch of the woman sex offender living in Sudden Valley. Classic AD gag that's never explicitly focused on, but comes with a whole implicit and hilarious backstory.

KingKong

Im up to episode 8 and the one character focus is a real bummer. I feel like the humor and the jokes are as good as the old episodes though.

Pctx

Banned
Just finished the season. I knew they were writing out past the last episode. Proof?
or Poof?: Michael wearing the Banana stand shirt which... WTF why wasn't that even in this season?

I really like the GOB - Tobias lunch tabel scene. When Tobias slides the mustard across to GOB and they're directly lampooning the fact that they had to green screen in actors at different times, it's soooo good.

Actually earlier in the season they show parts of that scene and I thought that both actors were actually there at the same time - was the way that scene was shot a gag in itself, where it's meant to look like one of the green screen scenes but it actually wasn't?

oatmeal

Banned
Just finished the season. I knew they were writing out past the last episode. Proof?
or Poof?: Michael wearing the Banana stand shirt which... WTF why wasn't that even in this season?

The one thing I wish they did was spend an episode fully on michaels fall and stay there for a bit. As it was it starts saying he's $700,000 I'm debt and then we see him take over Sudden Valley and then take the loan. And then he's in college. Would have been fun to see him trying to make ends meet on his own (including working as Mr. manager at the banana stand) and other bits before deciding on going to the college.

Also loved the super deep cut Sorkin gag in Episode 1. Just as The Social Network stuff is coming into play, Michael mentions being able to "build a television from scratch", a reference to Sorkin's play The Farnsworth Invention.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I really like the GOB - Tobias lunch tabel scene. When Tobias slides the mustard across to GOB and they're directly lampooning the fact that they had to green screen in actors at different times, it's soooo good.
Yes! There is such a meta attitude that this show is really playing around with that it gives them another layer of comedy to put even more jokes into. It's like eating a chocolate cake and finding pockets of strawberrys in there.

They know their budget isn't great, but they're ok with that because the characters are aware they don't have much money to work with either in their own universe.

I love how in the George senior episode you can see Tobias and Lindsey argue in the background. you can see Tobias spin and say "fallacy"

Mindlog

Not going to lie. I liked it! Won't bother comparing it to the earlier seasons because it didn't really work like that for me. I will definitely be re-watching it. We need to know who sabotaged GOB.

My bet is on Mrs Veal.

Mariolee

I just rewatched the last episode and I really liked the touch of putting a pumped song right after GM punching Michael and rolling right into the credits. I don't know why I liked it, but the beats were perfect.

"As your therapist, it's great, your director, 'it's terrible.' Therapist speaking, 'keep at it'. Director, 'No.' Stop. That's your director."

I like how Tobias accidentally helped Lucille at the Cinco Quatro festival even though he was talking completely about the play. Actually, every time he gave help it was because of a misunderstanding

this season is incredible. it's different, but in a good way. the focus on a single character per episode kinda stinks, but they did what they had to do.

it's already clear to me that this season is again going to be immensely rewatchable. i'm two episodes from the end, but i already cannot wait to start it over.

on another note, alia has really grown as an actress. i always felt she was the weakest of the cast, but her focused episode is actually one of my faves mostly due to her performance.

I'm through episode 6 and while I thought Tobias and Lindsay's episodes were pretty bad, the rest was spot-on. It feels different because of the longer length and focus on one character at a time, but the humor and writing style are absolutely there. Looking forward to watching the rest over the next week or so.

Amagon

this season is incredible. it's different, but in a good way. the focus on a single character per episode kinda stinks, but they did what they had to do.

it's already clear to me that this season is again going to be immensely rewatchable. i'm two episodes from the end, but i already cannot wait to start it over.

on another note, alia has really grown as an actress. i always felt she was the weakest of the cast, but her focused episode is actually one of my faves mostly due to her performance.

Alia's episode was one of my favorites.

Gobias

Banned
Overall, it was an entertaining season, but I felt some funny was lost in the very plot-centric story and the way they told it. Some of the episodes just fell flat. I understand why it was character focused, but Arrested Development is definitely at its best as an ensemble with scenes that have the whole family in them. I hope they are able to return to that with season 5, or whatever comes next.

I will start re watching it now.

It's weird. I had grown tired of Michael Cera outside of the show but...I actually liked him in the show (so I guess nothing changed really). He just really works as George Michael but I really enjoyed how his character matured. It was very believable and well done and that was probably a result of Cera being on the writing staff now.

People rating the season already are prematurely shooting their wads. You should know better to judge an Arrested Development season after only watching it one time.

michaelkickjkj7o.gif

Akahige

So for people going to do a rewatch are going in the regular order? I think I might do it in Production number order next, though that would screw up the ending, I suppose the production number have to do with scheduling the cast.

I also wonder with the way things ended if George-Michael will take over the Michael role of the show, by that I mean the only good one of the group.

oatmeal

Banned
So for people going to do a rewatch are going in the regular order? I think I might do it in Production number order next, though that would screw up the ending, I suppose the production number have to do with scheduling the cast.

I also wonder with the way things ended if George-Michael will take over the Michael role of the show, by that I mean the only good one of the group.

What's the production order?

oatmeal

Banned
The order is here here but that is just probably the shooting order.

Looks like the same order to me...

Or wait, the Production Code?

Hmm...

Well, there was so much talk about watching it in any order originally, I wonder if they changed the order last minute (which would explain Mitch pulling 18-hour days at the end to get it done) to make it more coherent so it had a better feel on the first watch.

That would explain why suddenly he started preaching about how you should watch it in order.

Apharmd

Nope. He's is now as guilty as the rest of the Bluths. The show pretty much spells it out for us! ... Actually, he's worse than Gob or Tobias considering that he never backed down from defrauding investors and defrauding Rebel with the Fakeblock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom