• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

I miss her old face.

It'll be awhile before I get over it.

Seriously... Man. Seriously. What happened?

Show really came together after the first few episodes... Really enjoyed it. How can Netflix even gauge the success of the show? By their membership? Amount of people who watched it?

y2dvd

By the amount of viewership. They said they were looking long term though, like what the viewing amount was within a year. I know I plan on rewatching the entire 4 seasons all over again before the year is up.

Grinchy

Banned

Show really came together after the first few episodes... Really enjoyed it. How can Netflix even gauge the success of the show? By their membership? Amount of people who watched it?

I feel like both will be factors, but the most important factor to Netflix is probably how many new subscribers joined specifically because of their interest in the show. Also how long they stay.

If a million people joined for one month and paid $8, then cancelled their subscription immediately after watching the show, I don't think it would be a successful venture. But if a million people stay for a year, that's some hot ham water.

If a million people joined for one month and paid $8, then cancelled their subscription immediately after watching the show, I don't think it would be a successful venture. But if a million people stay for a year, that's some hot ham water.

Any additional subscriptions, at any point ever, is a good thing for Netflix. So it's not so much about how many people join at the launch, but how many new subscribers watch AD over the course of a year.

What the "over a year" thing means is not about how many people subscribe for AD now, but how many subscribe and watch AD over a year.

If a million people joined for one month, paid $8, and 5% of them continue longterm, and then AD brings in another 10,000 people each month that also turn long-term, that's a huge win for Netflix. That's what the long game is about.

I signed up for netflix in April, which wound up being my Free Trial, so when May came around, it felt good to pay the 8 dollars for the new episodes.

Originally, I was going to cancel after watching the new episodes, however, as success for the show seems to be attracting new customers and actually keeping around the old ones, it'd do more harm for me to leave now, so I'll leave it going for a while.

I'm already rewatching season 1, and probably will rewatch the entire thing again before the year's up.

Batigol

Banned
Michael Cera really isn't an attractive guy. He's so, weird looking. Something is off about him.

HD is not kind to him.

But Lindsay looks great with short hair

jett

D-Member
Michael Cera really isn't an attractive guy. He's so, weird looking. Something is off about him.

HD is not kind to him.

But Lindsay looks great with short hair

Both of the Bluth kids got hit in the face by adulthood. Poor bastards.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Some of my favourite gags:

Tobias having to work into every conversation that he's a registered sex offender, he needs a new business card or resume with that on it.

Gob, "Oh great, now my boss is on my ass."

Some of my favourite gags:

Tobias having to work into every conversation that he's a registered sex offender, he needs a new business card or resume with that on it.

Tobias Funke, M.D.

Analrapist

(And sex offender)

It started out average but with potential. I can name a handful of great gags and lines from the first few eps. However Hurwitz decided as an experiment just to take every note from the studio so some hilarious sounding scripts got watered down and the further you get into the season the more bland and jokeless it becomes. The last chunk of episodes is such a blur to me, all I remember is Tamboor cameoed in the finale

Yeah, it's ironic and sad that he decided to just completely bend to the will of the studio and do every single thing they told him, and as a result the show just turned into shit and they cancelled it anyway. Fucking pathetic on the studio's part.

RightClick Saved for dem gifs. That Buster one is great. Hmmm...I think i'll add a gif section to the OP when I get the time. gaf love jifs!

I added a wallpaper section on there the other day btw.

EDIT: For new page:
and it is glorious.

ib0JOa1GqaJ3cp.gif

Thanks Bats

The scene where Gob flips on Steve Holt for not being there for him all these years is amazing. Especially the punchline (in the face) on Steve Holt.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a good interview about this? I watched the show and didn't follow the news around it at the time, I was worried he just lost it after AD.

Here's one where he talks about how FOX made him edit the pilot: http://collider.com/mitch-hurwitz-interview-running-wilde/

What will the changes be, and what specifically did Fox tell you that they wanted to see more or less of?

Mitch: We were very rushed in making a very ambitious pilot because our favorite directors, the Russo brothers, were doing another show, which got picked up at ABC, so we didn’t have them until the last minute. We didn’t have a lot of prep, and we had six or seven days of post, which is from the end of shooting to delivering the thing. That’s a very short amount of time, and that affects everything. That affected casting and how much time you get to spend with the characters. We threw a lot of stuff out there very quickly, and we were able to look at it and say, “You know, here’s where we’re not as invested in the characters.”

I think Kevin was able to laser in on the fact that we had lost a lot of what was really special about Emmy’s character, and we had just left the things where she had made her daughter live in the jungle, and she had been a little shrewish with the Steve character. So, a lot of it has to do with a little more backstory on her, explaining where she’s coming from.

We also had a character that played his nanny, and the idea there was to have a matriarchal character, almost like a mother ,who doesn’t want her child to go to therapy and has a lot at stake. Jayne Houdyshell is a wonderful actress, but it didn’t quite connect. We had a couple of scenes that we cut where she and Emmy would come head to head, and you didn’t feel good about either character. That character is now becoming this Mr. Lunt character, played by Robert Michael Morris from The Comeback. Hopefully, there will be a heartbreaking element to that character, who does not want to be told that all their work in raising this child is wrong. It will be somebody who has given his life over to taking care of Steve, and that will make it more complicated for Emmy to tell him off, just for whatever reason. It’s a chemistry thing.

Also, we had a character named Migo, played by a wonderful actor named Joe Nunez, who was very funny in the pilot, but we just needed somebody that was a little more of a contemporary to Will. We really wanted to tell people that these two had been together their whole lives. This guy is somebody who thinks his boss is an idiot, but loves his boss and is a little bit of a point of entry for an audience. There are a lot of things that are going to be subtle shifts, but hopefully will make the pilot easier to connect with.

And this interview talks about the fifth episode (The Party): http://www.vulture.com/2010/10/the_vulture_transcript_mitch_h.html

Are you taking more of the notes this time?
I’m almost only taking notes this time.

Is that easier, in a way?
That is where I get very uncomfortable, I have to say. The second episode, we were kind of instructed to do a very, very simple episode. And yet I put some big twists in it. Will was going to throw a party for rich people but dress them up like hobos and pretend they were homeless. At the same time, he had to have another party going, but now he was all out of rich people. So he hired all these homeless to dress in tuxedos — right? And I had this whole thing where he was helping but it was all twisted, and it kind of made great points about the flaws with both characters’ arguments.

I got, “You’re doing that Arrested stuff. Let’s just have a nice party. Let’s see these two and how they function at a party.” And on that one, I was aware of, “This is not turning out as interesting as I’d hoped.” The note kept being “Minimize the conflict,” because the feeling at that point based on testing was that [Keri Russell's character] Emmy is striking people as shrill and shrewish. And we ended up with an episode that we’re pushing back because, as expected, it’s not that interesting.

Wait — so no hobo joke?
I know! Rich people as hobos — it’s a funny idea, isn’t it? But now I think we’re getting back to a place where, if we get numbers in the next couple of weeks, we’ll start getting more and more ambitious. We’ll see.

Lijik

Is there a good interview about this? I watched the show and didn't follow the news around it at the time, I was worried he just lost it after AD.

Heres a great one

Rereading that canned premise of Steve having his rich friends dress up as hobos at a party to impress Emmy, but then realizing hes also holding a second party he needs rich people at so he dresses hobos up in tuxedos just reminds me how much potential that show had.

EDIT-Beaten while I was trying to find the interview

Lijik

Wasn't there a cartoon that he developed that also was critically panned? I think it was called Sit Down, Shut Up?

Yup. George Michael is actually watching it when he's spain during that argument.

I only watched the first like 3-5 episodes of it. Was really abysmal. The cast was solid though

Mariolee

Yup. George Michael is actually watching it when he's spain during that argument.

I only watched the first like 3-5 episodes of it. Was really abysmal. The cast was solid though

So what's his excuse for that one? Maybe he just wasn't used to the cartoon format?

Lijik

Rereading the Running Wilde thread is a little surreal in hindsight. Some posts predicting things like Netflix and Hulu doing original content, and posts saying the reason why the show sucks is because Steve Wilde is basically GOB and GOB cant carry a full show (only funny to me since GOB's episodes are the best of s4)
Heres another interview on Running Wilde but with Peter Serafinowicz
You know, I guess it just brought it home to me, watching it on actual TV, that the show is there to sell advertising space. It's not there to be exhibited as this work of comedic art made available for the viewers of America. It's there to fill up the spaces between ads. And if you're not getting the numbers and the viewers that these advertisers paid for — that's it. You're fucked. There's no point in you being there. That's how the business works, and it's a different model to the cable TV system.
But they'd seem to arbitrarily not let us cast certain people. There were guest spots and we'd want to hire somebody really funny for them. And they'd hem and haw for days and weeks until the next day or the next couple of days we had to hire somebody. And then they'd say no. And then we'd have to get somebody that we didn't particularly have in mind, that we didn't particularly want.
Mitch and I were talking about this thing where he wasn't an Arab at all, and he was just a total impostor, to be revealed at some point. So that was something that I was looking forward to — finding out who he really was. And I got the chance to play different characters throughout the show, through Fa'ad's different impersonations of people, and I miss doing that as well. We had some fun ideas lined up for that.
So what's his excuse for that one? Maybe he just wasn't used to the cartoon format?
The history behind that one is really convoluted. Its a remake of an Australian show that Mitch saw and noticed was similar to BBC's The Office. He wrote a script for an american version that never got picked up (this was also before The Office was remade for an American audience)
I think he shopped it around after AD and eventually turned into a cartoon because suddenly a lot of network complaints he got would disappear (characters being too broad doesnt matter in a cartoon etc)
He only wrote the first episode, and then took a supervisory role. Some other dude was the showrunner

Lach

Wow, I didn't even think of that. That's actually a fairly plausible theory.

It would also fit in with the naration about him "doing something he was not proud of" from the very first episode of the season (in the beginning after scene with lucille2, when coming back to the model home)

Wow never thought of that Michael theory. I hope its that instead of the other one of
him being the one who killed Lucille 2, because Michael "is the only likeable one of the group" :(

kHRyW1E.gif

Gif section is up. So many good gifs, but I tried to limit it to just reaction gifs so I don't break ppls browsers.

this is so far out of left field, but a thought struck me. what if this "body":

Franklinhmm_zps52c3333b.jpg

was actually:

hqdefault.jpg

some similarities no? especially with how unnatural "lucille 2" looks laying there.

oatmeal

Banned
I like that in the knife store when GOB and Michael are fighting, there is a life sized knife that is basically a white Mr. Bananagrabber with a handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom