• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great episode but I strongly disagree with this death. I mean she's literally suppose to be his wife later on in life. I mean she's literally a Justice League member. I guess they felt that Felicity, Dig and Thea were too obvious a choice. Oh well. At least they actually killed someone and showed who it was unlike that zombie show that everyone loves. Now I gotta turn around and watch Empire

Effect

Just realized she didn't do the canary cry once this episode. She was taking on groups of people too. She's used it on less people and wasn't even written to use her signature move.

Magwik

Banned
So, the shipping thing was not an element. It was not a factor for us. And we recognize that that upsets a lot of fans, particularly the comic book fans. In the comics, Dinah Lance and Oliver Queen, depending on which version of the character you like, are in a romance together, in various iterations. That, to some people, is considered canonical and iconic, and we respect that. But at the same time, we’ve always made no bones about the fact that we are telling our own version of the Green Arrow mythos.
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/arr...-black-canary-season-4-episode-18-1201747805/

Guggenheim on a possible fake out:
Guggenheim: No. We’ve done that. We’ve done a fake death before. And that’s the thing: we’re always trying to figure out what’s the way to do this. That fake-out where she was OK and then she wasn’t, that was, again, our attempt at “how do we do a death we haven’t done before?” We’ve had people killed right in front of Oliver; we’ve faked a death; we’ve had someone be fatally injured and then Oliver arrives on the scene. “Walking Dead” has this problem, too, which I suppose [the finale] episode indicates. I shouldn’t say a problem: a creative challenge. The deeper you get into your story… “Game of Thrones,” also. I don’t know what’s going to happen with Jon Snow, but that is also probably going to change things. It’s the nature of having a long-running show that deals, with a major component of it, with death.

I know everyone's talking about the scene but spoiler tagging all the same.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/arr...-black-canary-season-4-episode-18-1201747805/

I can't believe her last moment was shipping Olicity. The funny thing is up until she was stabbed I thought it was a pretty damned good episode -- especially the scene with Oliver and Andy.

WedgeX

Banned
Great episode but I strongly disagree with this death. I mean she's literally suppose to be his wife later on in life. I mean she's literally a Justice League member. I guess they felt that Felicity, Dig and Thea were too obvious a choice. Oh well. At least they actually killed someone and showed who it was unlike that zombie show that everyone loves. Now I gotta turn around and watch Empire

A founding Justice Leaguer in some stories!

What happens in the comics don't mean shit in this show.
So much of the stuff from batman and other new for the tv series .

But we’ve never made decisions on the show, creatively, because of the internet.
rwVGW.gif

I just fucking can't with this show.

ZeroX03

Banned
You say the internet doesn’t impact your storytelling…

Guggenheim: I also know the internet doesn’t believe me when I say that. [Laughs.]

I think if the death was done better, I wouldn't be as upset.

That and the fact she had the most growth besides Thea in the last two seasons was just heartbreaking.

But I do agree with
having the balls to do that at all because He's right, the Walking Dead is afraid to kill off characters and other shows just kill of characters for no reason.

ZeroX03

Banned
But in terms of Quentin, he’s going to have to pick up the pieces, not pick up a bottle, and reconcile what’s left in his life. With that, he’s got the Arrow family. That will be where he’ll have to find his anchor now, from here on in, without his beautiful daughter.

How much guilt will the team be feeling over Laurel’s death, and will we see Sara find out on “Legends of Tomorrow”?

Guggenheim: Diggle especially, like he says in the hospital, he’ll never forgive himself. And I would say the biggest consequences emotionally are felt by Thea and by Diggle. And of course, Oliver, Felicity and Lance, everyone’s having their own reactions, but Diggle – you can draw a straight-ish line from his decisions in this episode to Laurel’s death. And that’s certainly a fact that’s not lost on him. Sara will find out in “Legends” about what happened with Laurel, and I think we give it its due. I’m looking at Paul to see if I’m lying, but I feel like we give it its due. And we always said on “Legends,” we were not going to shy away from this development, as far as Sara’s character is concerned, and Paul was very gracious to lend his time to “Legends” to really allow us to explore that.

Damien says before he stabs Laurel that he’s doing it because Lance betrayed him. Are those words going to find their way back to Quentin, and will that have an adverse affect on how he accepts this?

Guggenheim: Not this season. Anything is possible next season.

Yay for more Chesthair? Possibly still around in S5? Lance on Team Arrow and Legends!

I think if the death was done better, I wouldn't be as upset.

That and the fact she had the most growth besides Thea in the last two seasons was just heartbreaking.

But I do agree with
having the balls to do that at all because He's right, the Walking Dead is afraid to kill off characters and other shows just kill of characters for no reason.

WD has bigger a problem than that also but he is right in some ways .

Berlanti lied about Arrow not being intended to have superpowers, I wouldn't take a lot of faith in old comments.

Yeah that stuff was long while ago if i remember right .
Things can change weekly on TV shows.

From the promo for next week
is Oliver kissing Laurel or Felicity? I mean if we get Laurel flashbacks we essentially could get something set in season 1 or 2. You know when Oliver was all 'I love Laurel more than anything', 'she was all I missed the most on the island'. Writers forgot that in like five seconds.

From the promo for next week
is Oliver kissing Laurel or Felicity?
I mean if we get Laurel flashbacks we essentially could get something set in season 1 or 2. You know when Oliver was all 'I love Laurel more than anything', 'she was all I missed the most on the island'. Writers forgot that in like five seconds.

Laurel

(I paused the DVR lol)

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I'm pretty ambivalent over Laurel's death. Feel bad for Paul Blackthorne. He basically has go through the ringer again because one of Chesthair's daughters died again. At least we still got Sara! (I guess she's going to go back to being Black Canary... because.)

That episode was straight up crap. The pieced together idol. These pointless flashbacks. All the death signs. Just awful.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm very interested to see if all the people saying "fuck this show I'm never watching again" actually live up to it. We've heard this so many times before.

I might be out.

I was borderline on watching the show before. There are already two better superhero shows on the air right now, not even counting the Netflix stuff.

Khezu

Haven't watched the show in forever, but have been waiting for this moment to see the reactions.

Well I don't care she died, if her last moments really were shipping Ollicity then fuuuuuck.

I really hate the flashbacks for poor writing and terrible continuity. Flashback Oliver is badly written because they write him just like present Oliver when this Oliver is supposed to be the Ollie who becomes the ruthless killer of season 1. He's heroic and gives rousing speeches, not being this stoic, stunted badass.

Deadly

Storyline was so dumb after the first heist it was just so obvious Dig's brother was a traitor.

Shame they killed Laurel, she was okay this season. Think I'm going to drop this after the finale because this season and the last have been really bad.

Oddduck

I really hate the flashbacks for poor writing and terrible continuity. Flashback Oliver is badly written because they write him just like present Oliver when this Oliver is supposed to be the Ollie who becomes the ruthless killer of season 1. He's heroic and gives rousing speeches, not being this stoic, stunted badass.

I've been thinking the same thing.

Every time I watch these flashbacks, I think to myself, "Okay, did Oliver act like this in Season 1?"

Haven't watched the show in forever, but have been waiting for this moment to see the reactions.

Well I don't care she died, if her last moments really were shipping Ollicity then fuuuuuck.

That was part of it but the final part was some promise we did not hear .

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Am I the only one who thinks there's no way she died?

They mute the hospital conversation and then come back to her dying. Only way I believe these writers don't try to resuscitate her is if, during the funeral, the casket spills her body, Felicity does a DNA test to confirm it's her while Malcolm shows up with a backyard pool saying "Hey this is the last of the Lazarus Pit," pours it out into a sewer drain some distance away, Constantine pops in and goes, "Oh wow, yeah, that's one dead bird," AND Rip Hunter has Gideon confirm that she is dead to Sarah while saying a time wraith is blocking them AND BARRY FUCKING ALLEN from going back and saving her.

THEN I'll be like 90% sure she's dead. Otherwise I'm fully expecting her to be hiding until Ruve is kicked out of office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom