• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah it worked pretty well for Arrow other than Ray disappearing without explanation for the mid-season finale. Sara at least went away, Ray was just not there (he was filming Legends) while the team was under attack.

He was macking on that woman who he thought he'd gotten pregnant.

Blader

So I haven't watched any of S4 due to school and not liking S3. Is S4 worth watching?

I know the folks on Reddit hate it, but I want an opinion outside the echo chamber.

Not really. Just as much if not more Felicity drama, a charismatic villain who's stuck spinning his wheels all season, and the most useless and badly acted flashbacks of the show to date.

CryptiK

So I haven't watched any of S4 due to school and not liking S3. Is S4 worth watching?

I know the folks on Reddit hate it, but I want an opinion outside the echo chamber.
Its pretty bad, doesnt kind of pick up til then end, but in the middle it falls so flat on its face that its just not worth watching it again.

Not really. Just as much if not more Felicity drama, a charismatic villain who's stuck spinning his wheels all season, and the most useless and badly acted flashbacks of the show to date.

There was hardly any felicity drama (well stupid\bad drama) when you look at the season overall.
Mostly in the middle other wise it's has been normal for arrow not counting laurel death .
This season had okay first few set of eps , the middle had some stupid ones and last few have been okay to good .

Yeah it worked pretty well for Arrow other than Ray disappearing without explanation for the mid-season finale. Sara at least went away, Ray was just not there (he was filming Legends) while the team was under attack.

Hmm I gotta rewatch be it had to be either Legends or Arrow where they showed him and Oliver talking about him leaving.

ZeroX03

Banned
The last two episodes has some downright awful smoak family drama.

Disagree. I don't think it's any way "downright awful". The Calculator stuff is actually pretty damn solid for Felicity, it has her in a role where she's facing drama and not blubbering about it. Good backstory work, certainly better than anything characters like Caitlin are getting. I can get not liking Mama Smoak because she leans too hard into the comic relief, but it's decent as far as family drama goes.

Hmm I gotta rewatch be it had to be either Legends or Arrow where they showed him and Oliver talking about him leaving.

He just says "I'll take some time but be an occasional superhero" in his last Arrow, then cut to the Legends premiere where he says "I'm out Ollie!". There's a few weeks/month gap where Ray just isn't participating while the team gets kidnapped and have to bring Merlyn in for help.

The last two episodes has some downright awful smoak family drama.

You mean stuff that last less than 3 to 4 mins lol
Gaf arrow thread is be so full of hyperbole .
Last night i was reading the flash thread and some was saying they think Felicity had more screen time that oliver SMH.

Magwik

Banned
I won't disagree that S4 is better than S3 as it is, because episodes are far more consistent here than before, but there's also nothing really stand out as last season nor nothing half as ambitious. Shit we haven't even had any character moments (aside from Oliver confronting Lance about working with Darhk) that are really top tier at all. S3 had ambition and I'm legit shocked im just now starting to look back at it fondly.

GulAtiCa

The way "some" here hate the show & bitch about Felicity is basically:
1324596542030_7713053.png

Except for some mid season episodes (like late Winter/early Spring/etc) it has been pretty great.

I won't disagree that S4 is better than S3 as it is, because episodes are far more consistent here than before, but there's also nothing really stand out as last season nor nothing half as ambitious. Shit we haven't even had any character moments (aside from Oliver confronting Lance about working with Darhk) that are really top tier at all. S3 had ambition and I'm legit shocked im just now starting to look back at it fondly.

I rather a show be consistent rather than having very highs and lows parts.
Since the lower parts normally last longer .
This season of flash is good eg of this season 1 was so much better .

Then again it could just be because RF is better than Zoom lol .

ZeroX03

Banned
S3 had ambition and I'm legit shocked im just now starting to look back at it fondly.

Here's how I see it:

Season 3 had a lot of fantastic ideas but atrocious execution. When you look at the character arcs and themes on paper - especially stuff like Laurel and Thea - they seem like great directions.

Season 4 has weak ideas and lacks ambition, but is done at a much more competent and consistent level with better acting (Darhk > Ra's, most of the regulars doing better etc).

I think Arrow needed to reign itself back in so I don't mind it not being as ambitious. A lot of the S3 plot points seemed like a huge elevation from S2 and they didn't have the ability to keep up with that and fumbled it. S4 seems like they realized this and put more of a focus on just being more consistent writing wise and will likely turn more ambitious next season.

Magwik

Banned
I rather a show be consistent rather than having very highs and lows parts.
Since the lower parts normally last longer .
This season of flash is good eg of this season 1 was so much better .

Then again it could just be because RF is better than Zoom lol .

Here's how I see it:

Season 3 had a lot of fantastic ideas but atrocious execution. When you look at the character arcs and themes on paper - especially stuff like Laurel and Thea - they seem like great directions.

Season 4 has weak ideas and lacks ambition, but is done at a much more competent and consistent level with better acting (Darhk > Ra's, most of the regulars doing better etc).
So far I suppose my main problem with S4 is my expectations for it. They were beating the drum over and over at how the show is going to change tonally and how the Green Arrow name and new suit represent that, but then after the pilot they never followed through on it. It's just S3 without the ambition. The plot is more simple (thankfully) but it's just sort of dragged. For me the most promising part of S3 was Oliver confronting Malcom in the crowd in the beginning. Barrowman chewed the scenery while Ollie has an entire season worth of progression he struggles with retaining trying not to kill the fuck right there. I also appreciate the use of different locations for the season as well. We really don't have much of that anymore as it's just the same 4-5 sets over and over. I'm rambling so I'll stop.

Joni

Season 4 will also be determined by the finale: will they kill Malcolm or not? If they keep him, there is a problem.

So far I suppose my main problem with S4 is my expectations for it. They were beating the drum over and over at how the show is going to change tonally and how the Green Arrow name and new suit represent that, but then after the pilot they never followed through on it. It's just S3 without the ambition. The plot is more simple (thankfully) but it's just sort of dragged. For me the most promising part of S3 was Oliver confronting Malcom in the crowd in the beginning. Barrowman chewed the scenery while Ollie has an entire season worth of progression he struggles with retaining trying not to kill the fuck right there. I also appreciate the use of different locations for the season as well. We really don't have much of that anymore as it's just the same 4-5 sets over and over. I'm rambling so I'll stop.

I think that's what this finale is kinda going for but we'll see and I can agree that it dragged but Oliver not immediately blaming himself after Laurel dies is probably the biggest amount of character development he's had since Tommy died. Its a slow burn but they're just kinda getting there. We'll see though tonight.

ZeroX03

Banned

To be fair they also said they were always the darker show and they were never going to be as light as The Flash (lol after this season).

That Merlyn episode was fun.

Blader

There was hardly any felicity drama (well stupid\bad drama) when you look at the season overall.
Mostly in the middle other wise it's has been normal for arrow not counting laurel death .
This season had okay first few set of eps , the middle had some stupid ones and last few have been okay to good .

The middle part of the season is a far bigger chunk of the season than the first few episodes or the last couple.

Disagree. I don't think it's any way "downright awful". The Calculator stuff is actually pretty damn solid for Felicity, it has her in a role where she's facing drama and not blubbering about it. Good backstory work, certainly better than anything characters like Caitlin are getting. I can get not liking Mama Smoak because she leans too hard into the comic relief, but it's decent as far as family drama goes.

Anything Mama Smoak says or does comes off as completely incongruous with the rest of what's happening.

"Oh baby, why didn't you tell me you were working with the Green Arrow?" The fuck? Why the hell would she? Or, acting pouty and jealous while Felicity and her dad are saving the world from a nuclear holocaust.

The Felicity/Calculator stuff is fine on its own but it's dragged down every time Mama Smoak enters the scene.

A big problem I've had with the show for this and last season is that they set up interesting status quos, and then do away with them after a couple episodes. The first two seasons were paced pretty quickly too, but they felt like they moved organically (at least compared to 3 and 4). Now we have stuff like Oliver being dead, Oliver being in the League of Assassins, Diggle/Laurel/Thea superhero-ing on their own, Oliver running for mayor, etc. that gets rushed through in two or three episodes or completely marginalized.

Yeah, they really need to get rid of him. Specifically Thea killing him would be best.

She will if he drugs her again!
lol

ZeroX03

Banned
Season 4 will also be determined by the finale: will they kill Malcolm or not? If they keep him, there is a problem.

John Barrowman wasn't listed in The CW upfront season five show description, and Echo Kellum is. But that doesn't really mean much, Teddy Sears was mentioned for Flash and Ciara Renee for Legends.

Yeah, the show is actually top notch and any kind of hate is actually unfounded. You know you're watching, like, a super cheesy show with bad dialogue, acting, action, and plot?

No one is saying the show does not have problems .
What some people are saying is sometimes members exaggerate when talking about them.

No one is saying the show does not have problems .
What some people are saying is sometimes members exaggerate when talking about them.
I don't think many people are exaggerating when they say in these threads that the show for them has been almost completely ruined by the life-draining succubus that is Olicity.

GulAtiCa

I don't think many people are exaggerating when they say in these threads that the show for them has been almost completely ruined by the life-draining succubus that is Olicity.

Then the reasonable thing for some of those that really dislike the show now, is to probably stop watching it if they really don't like the show that much anymore.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm proud to announce my new service, exclusive to the Arrowverse threads:

You say you're done with a show after this season? Good choice. If given consent, I will write your name in a database (along with all the shows you've tapped out of) and hold you accountable come October. Worry no longer of wasting your time coming into a thread for a show you hate!

This service is free of charge and the offer will be running from now until October.

I'm sure that's true. Just like the blinding hatred for the Ghostbusters remake is not exaggerated in certain quarters.

Chase17

I had high hopes for a more light hearted approach after the you have failed this omelet joke. Didn't exactly pan out though.

Still have probably enjoyed this season of Arrow more than the other arrowverse shows this year, which is surprising. Although the Felicity paralysis resolution was by far the worst thing I've seen on tv in a while. Hopefully the finale is good.

Thanks for proving my point? Never said anything of the sort..

That is what happens when a meme picture is posted instead of actually explaining your point.

It looks like your point is saying the show is amazing and anyone who thinks the Olicity shit is bad is just a hater.

Joni

I'm proud to announce my new service, exclusive to the Arrowverse threads:

You say you're done with a show after this season? Good choice. If given consent, I will write your name in a database (along with all the shows you've tapped out of) and hold you accountable come October. Worry no longer of wasting your time coming into a thread for a show you hate!

This service is free of charge and the offer will be running from now until October.
Could you please run your season 3 database through the thread?

If Malcolm survives the finale tonight I'm done, if he at least gets some sort of true comeuppance (dead or not) for everything he's done I'll be on the fence but still leaning towards being done unless there's some news or major shake up over the summer that makes me want to stick around. But it's still more likely that I'm giving up outside of cross over events. So feel free to add me to that "database".

I won't stop watching, because at the very least I can enjoy laughing and preaching at how bad the show has become.

But I will stop supporting it, didn't buy S3, won't be buying S4.

Xemnas89

The finale could be the worst episode arrow has ever produced and I'll still be back next season. I can't drop shows that I've put so much time in so I'm with this show and this universe till it's over. I stuck with dexter till it's terrible end and Arrow is nowhere near that level at this point.

I can't even enjoy the show in a hate watch kind of way like I did Under the Dumb. It just makes me angry because I know they could do so much better.

pocahontasbyebitch.gif

You know what was the coolest thing about Arrow this year?

That Episode on Legends of Tomorrow where they go to the Future and it's basically the Green Arrow version of Batman Beyond. I want another episode like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom