• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
E405 spoilers:
Constantine is an old friend of Oliver's? Of course he fucking is. At this point I won't be surprised if Oliver also met Superman and Batman while on the Island, lol.

By the time it's all said and done, Oliver will have been to space and fought Darkseid while he was "on the island".

Frog-fu

Banned
I will never understand the people who say most of season 1 is bad. There are rough spots to be sure, but It got me hooked from episode 1 and never let up.

It was pretty bad for 14 episodes or so before it got better.

I do miss Killer!Ollie though. Conceptually it is still by far the strongest of the seasons I'd say.

arrow became la flame around the time the odyssey happened. it was also probably the only time ever that I was actually looking forward to flashbacks more than the current timeline.

anaron

in addition to laurel looking so much better this year (ditching that fugly wig helped so much thank gawd) that zip line moment was cool as hell.

Frog-fu

Banned
Pretty Bad for 14 episodes in S1?? You're nuts. Arrow S1 was awesome from the start and never let up.

No, you've just forgotten the awful acting and formulaic approach. It was almost aggressively mediocre before it started cashing in on its glimpses of promise.

Go back and watch the pilot. You'll see how bad it was.

GulAtiCa

Forgotten? Hell no. I've re-watched season 1 many times, even recently. I loved it. I also find the acting to be fine. You all are crazy.

9czDq.jpeg

foxtrot3d

Banned
Can I just say that I found the last episode to be a possible sign of bad things to come, and I mean that in terms of the writing quality for the rest of the season. Basically, we're just two episodes in and we've already started on the whole "everybody is keeping a secret" trend. You see if there is one thing that has really killed Arrow it's that everyone keeps a secret. Early on there was just one big secret, Ollie being the Arrow, and so things were relatively simple. But, as things moved on more and more secrets were added and each character got their own secret they got to keep from everyone else.

Oliver has his Arrow secret but he's also keeping secret that Sara is alive, what he did on the island, his past with Slade, Ra's al Ghul shenanigans, alliance with Malcolm, Malcolm being Thea's father, etc. But, then you got Laurel keeping Black Canary secret, that Sara is dead, that she's on drugs, and on and on. What this eventually results is a continual cycle of secrets, revelations, anger about revelations, and then back to secrets again. Laurel finds out Oliver is the Arrow, gets mad, eventually accepts what he did, Oliver and/or Laurel start new secret against each other and we start the cycle again.

Right now we got Diggle keeping HIVE a secret from Oliver, Lance keeping his alliance with Damien a secret from everyone, Laurel keeping her secret plant with Sara a secret to everyone but Thea, and Oliver has just revealed that he's been keeping The Pitt side effects a secret from Thea and Felicity admitting she's been helping the team behind Oliver's back the entire time. Please, enough with the god damn secret cycle. The reason The Flash S1 worked so well is because the team was a fun group that weren't constantly suspicious and angry at each other because someone kept a secret from another person to "keep them safe." And, the fact that, that stuff has started to creep into Flash S2 concerns me.

Magwik

Banned
Ehh...he said he
saw magic in his 5 years, Constantine will probably show up on the island this season.
I can't think of any compelling reason for him to be on the island. Also the "I met this guy in my five years away" is just a really shitty plot device at this point.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Forgotten? Hell no. I've re-watched season 1 many times, even recently. I loved it. I also find the acting to be fine. You all are crazy.

9czDq.jpeg

Thea being obnoxious mumbly mc-mumblepants with all her jaw-clenched whining...
Cool villains being turned into easily killed one-offs or total bastardizations...
Huntress...

Nah, season 1 was barely acceptable for a while...

Hex

Banned
I can't think of any compelling reason for him to be on the island. Also the "I met this guy in my five years away" is just a really shitty plot device at this point.

Who said he was on the Island.
Ollie was in other places also before he went home.

Kyoufu

Second episode wasn't bad.

I really like the villain.

Also Thea is kicking some ass. She's definitely far more believable as a Vigilante than Laurel.

Right now we got Diggle keeping HIVE a secret from Oliver, Lance keeping his alliance with Damien a secret from everyone, Laurel keeping her secret plant with Sara a secret to everyone but Thea, and Oliver has just revealed that he's been keeping The Pitt side effects a secret from Thea and Felicity admitting she's been helping the team behind Oliver's back the entire time. Please, enough with the god damn secret cycle. The reason The Flash S1 worked so well is because the team was a fun group that weren't constantly suspicious and angry at each other because someone kept a secret from another person to "keep them safe." And, the fact that, that stuff has started to creep into Flash S2 concerns me.

All of those Secrets actually make sense this season though. Diggle doesn't trust Oliver. Why would Lance tell anyone that he's helping fuck up the city? Laruel not telling anyone but Thea make sense because she knows Oliver and everyone else would say no besides Thea(who is going because she wants to see the effects of the Pit herself). Oliver didn't tell Thea because he didn't see anything wrong and didn't have time to explain before he left. and Felicity lying is harmless as Oliver would have helped if she wanted to help. She just thought he was happy to get away.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
No, you've just forgotten the awful acting and formulaic approach. It was almost aggressively mediocre before it started cashing in on its glimpses of promise.

Go back and watch the pilot. You'll see how bad it was.

Ollie dropping fools, giving no fucks was awesome IMO. I really like S1, it has some weak episodes sure, but the season is decent and better than S3 obv.

Kyoufu

Ollie dropping fools, giving no fucks was awesome IMO. I really like S1, it has some weak episodes sure, but the season is decent and better than S3 obv.

Totally agree. The reason why I got into the character was because he was basically Batman but merciless. Wasn't afraid of killing baddies.

Now he's just Batman.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Oh we hate Laurel again? Is that still a thing?

I hate nearly everyone in s4. No joke lol. I'm trying so hard to like this show again, but I genuinely hate most of the main characters. I think my favorite character right now is Lyla because all she does is spit truth and doesn't feel shoehorned into the plot.

Joni

He still doesn't care. He only cares if it's Thea doing the killing. I mean, he's hanging around Diggle who straight up shoots everyone and last episode he gave a speech to Thea about restraint after he himself shot a few guys in the chest with arrows.
Tranquilizers. We went over that a couple of pages back, it doesn't sound like live rounds.

The reason The Flash S1 worked so well is because the team was a fun group that weren't constantly suspicious and angry at each other because someone kept a secret from another person to "keep them safe."
It was refreshing to see Barry immediately tell Iris he was The Flash in the first episode and Wells to divulge his entire Reverse Flash plan in the next episode.

foxtrot3d

Banned
It was refreshing to see Barry immediately tell Iris he was The Flash in the first episode and Wells to divulge his entire Reverse Flash plan in the next episode.

Iris wasn't a part of Team Flash and Wells identity wasn't so much a secret but a mystery for the whole audience to ponder and unravel. There wasn't constant secrets being kept between Barry, Cisco, Caitlin, and Joe. And, when secrets did crop up they were almost immediately resolved without people complaining about them for a whole season. Cisco is quickly let in on Joe's suspicions about Wells, who soon after quickly notifies Barry about what they eventually discover, who soon after involves both Eddie and Caitlin in the Wells secret. Iris discovers that Barry is the Flash but only complains about it for about two episodes before she gets fully on Team Barry/Flash.

We didn't have a whole season of Cisco hiding the fact that Ronnie was alive, but screwed up, from Caitlin before she eventually found out and proceeded to be angry at him for a whole new season.

Joni

Iris wasn't a part of Team Flash and Wells identity wasn't so much a secret but a mystery for the whole audience to ponder and unravel. There wasn't constant secrets being kept between Barry, Cisco, Caitlin, and Joe. And, when secrets did crop up they were almost immediately resolved without people complaining about them for a whole season. Cisco is quickly let in on Joe's suspicions about Wells, who soon after quickly notifies Barry about what they eventually discover, who soon after involves both Eddie and Caitlin in the Wells secret. Iris discovers that Barry is the Flash but only complains about it for about two episodes before she gets fully on Team Barry/Flash.

We didn't have a whole season of Cisco hiding the fact that Ronnie was alive, but screwed up, from Caitlin before she eventually found out and proceeded to be angry at him for a whole new season.

In that case, most of your Arrow complaints are not really relevant either. Laurel wasn't part of the team, Thea wasn't, Lance isn't. Felicity and Diggle knew he had a past with Slade, Thea and Moira didn't but they weren't Team Arrow.

I really enjoyed the first episode, with Amell actually, you know, acting for the first time in four years. Seeing Oliver as a human being and finally emoting was great. He also seemed to show how Oliver was releasing all the emotions he had bottled up about everything. It was like a new pilot.

The flashbacks were a lot better before I realized Lian Yu is the center of the universe. As soon as one shady organization moves out another sets up shop. I wonder if there is a waiting list

Season 1's flashback arc was probably my favorite arc (present or past) in the show so far.

Anth0ny

I don't care what anyone said, I loved everything about seasons 1 and 2. 3 was when the quality dropped off a fucking cliff, and so far 4 seems to continue where 3 left off :(

I'll keep watching, though. Amell is too awesome to stop. Though I get the feeling that the best Arrow will be when he appears randomly in Flash.

I don't care what anyone said, I loved everything about seasons 1 and 2. 3 was when the quality dropped off a fucking cliff, and so far 4 seems to continue where 3 left off :(

I'll keep watching, though. Amell is too awesome to stop. Though I get the feeling that the best Arrow will be when he appears randomly in Flash.

Still...not....seeing...this...

DeathyBoy

Banned
Ehh...he said he
saw magic in his 5 years, Constantine will probably show up on the island this season.

I just love how Constantine being canon makes Heaven/Hell canon in the Arrow-verse. Now we just need a scene where Diggle sees a fucking Angel.

giphy.gif

OLIVER: Diggle, I saw things...
DIGGLE: On the island?
OLIVER: No, in Heaven.
DIGGLE: Oliver, I've put up with ninjas and assassins and Felicity and Mirakuru and pirates and the dude with the eyes. But this is...
OLIVER: Diggle. Stop.

Kyoufu

Speculation on the flash forward ending of the first episode. I'll spoiler tag it just in case:

Felicity is gonna die isn't she?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Speculation on the flash forward ending of the first episode. I'll spoiler tag it just in case:

No, neither reaction from Oliver or Barry would lead me to believe that.

A friend suggested another possible candidate,
Curtis Holt
. This leads us to the possibility of
His so far unnamed husband being Michael Holt, the actual Mr. Terrific

Rooster12

She should die. But this show won't kill off characters who are useless, they do the opposite.

Yep, I know I'm not the only who sees Arrow falling off a cliff. Oliver on Flash is awesome, especially when he's using trick arrows.

Kyoufu

I think Barry would be more beat up over it.

The fact that he was there gives me the impression it's someone he cared about. Oliver wouldn't kill anyone unless something happened to Felicity or Thea.

It's Tommy.

heisalreadydead.jpg

Also, the whole engagement ring thing that is never going to be used gives me the feeling that something tragic will happen just before he pops the question.

Or maybe just after?

Kyoufu

Another thing I have to say is...

Thea > Oliver

She reminds me of Oliver's ruthless Vigilante days. Season 1, I miss thee.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The fact that he was there gives me the impression it's someone he cared about. Oliver wouldn't kill anyone unless something happened to Felicity or Thea.

Barry would be there for any Team Arrow death. 1) It's trivial for him to get there and 2) he's friends with everyone on the team.

Again, how is either Oliver or Barry's reaction in any way indicative of it being Felicity (or Thea) in the grave?

The most their reactions give us is that it's a person that Barry isn't torn to pieces over dying (literally nearly anyone than Felicity) and it's a person that apparently allows Oliver to still be functioning (nearly anyone other than the love of his life, Felcitiy, or his only remaining family member, Thea.)

Kyoufu

Barry would be there for any Team Arrow death. 1) It's trivial for him to get there and 2) he's friends with everyone on the team.

Again, how is either Oliver or Barry's reaction in any way indicative of it being Felicity (or Thea) in the grave?

The most their reactions give us is that it's a person that Barry isn't torn to pieces over dying (literally nearly anyone than Felicity) and it's a person that apparently allows Oliver to still be functioning (nearly anyone other than the love of his life, Felcitiy, or his only remaining family member, Thea.)

Barry isn't torn to pieces out of respect for Oliver. Felicity was Oli's lover, not Barry's.

If it was someone like Diggle or Laurel in the grave, then Diggle's wife or Laurel's father would be there with Oliver.

It's so clearly Felicity. So, so clear.

Loudninja

Barry isn't torn to pieces out of respect for Oliver. Felicity was Oli's lover, not Barry's.

If it was someone like Diggle or Laurel in the grave, then Diggle's wife or Laurel's father would be there with Oliver.

This makes no sense.

Joni

It is some time after the funeral. They could have left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom