• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kard8p3

Well it was better than tue Flash finale I think? But neither was waht I'd call good.

Nope. Flash was good. Set up A LOT.

This finale is just..bleh.

I hope Flash can rewrite this shit. Get rid of Felicity, or undue the character assassination of her she's gone thru the last few seasons.

ZeroX03

Banned
Well it was better than the Flash finale I think? But neither was what I'd call good.

Yeah, Supergirl wasn't great either. Only one I really liked was Legends.

Fuck you Arrow writers. You had me until that "not a chance". You just had to ruin the damn ending.

You think Felicity is going to leave? That's not happening. That's never happening.

I'm fine with Felicity if she's cheerful. I'm fine with Olicity as long as it's not bogged down in drama/secrets/lies/crying Emily Bett Rickards. Other than talking to her ex this episode (why?), Felicity was decent this episode.

carlsojo

IMO it was a better finale than Flash. Everyone going their separate ways. No big crazy twist. Just... we saved the city! ... but we kind of got all fucked up along the way.

I think the Legends finale was actually the strongest by far. The emotional beats for Heatwave were on point.

Nope. Flash was good. Set up A LOT.

This finale is just..bleh.

I hope Flash can rewrite this shit. Get rid of Felicity, or undue the character assassination of her she's gone thru the last few seasons.

Flash set up nothing because none of that shit will stay .
Plus Felicity has not change her being main romantic interest comes with drama .
Which has suck to tell the truth but it going happen since it CW.

I don't hate the finale, but I do think it was kinda boring.

Kind of surprised LoT ended up with the most entertaining finale, to be honest. I wouldn't have called that at all, a few months back. Great Season 2 tease, too.

Dunlop

so the moral they arrived at was "the past three seasons of character development were pointless, killing dudes and being angry batman was the right answer all along"

Thank goodness, loved season 1 and was saddened watching the show descend into what it became

bring it on!

IMO it was a better finale than Flash. Everyone going their separate ways. No big crazy twist. Just... we saved the city! ... but we kind of got all fucked up along the way.

I think the Legends finale was actually the strongest by far. The emotional beats for Heatwave were on point.

I'm of the same opinion. The episode itself was silly as hell with the nuke stuff, Star City Rises and all that but the actual character moments were pretty strong from everyone except Malcolm.

Hell Felicity and Oliver didn't kiss or reconcile or anything. Just left to reflect on the past year.

LOT was definitely better though and surprisingly but I'm not as disappointed with Arrow's finale like I am with the Flash's.

I don't hate the finale, but I do think it was kinda boring.

Kind of surprised LoT ended up with the most entertaining finale, to be honest. I wouldn't have called that at all, a few months back. Great Sason 2 tease, too.

I agree for me it goes
LOT
Arrow
Supergirl = Gotham
Flash

If we talking DC shows .

Kard8p3

Flash set up nothing because none of that shit will stay .
Plus Felicity has not change her being main romantic interest comes with drama .
Which has suck to tell the truth but it going happen since it CW.

? I'm not just referring to Flash Point. They set up Black Racer, and earlier that season they set up Grodd.

and yes, she has definitely changed, not sure why you'd think otherwise. To quote someone else regarding Felicity,
Proof is in the pudding too, Felicity and Laurel were both fairly well liked and awesome (in my book) when they weren't in romantic relationships with Oliver. See entire Laurel Black Canary arc and Felicity s1 and s2 lol.

That's an understatement and yeah everyone loved her in s1 and s2. arrow is like the perfect case study in 100% complete and perfect character assassination.

Ollie went from a sociopath with some cool moves and clever tricks to a dumbass like Barry who shoots his bow (non-lethally) once in a blue moon. Felicity went from the quirky comic relief IT girl to the central character in a soap opera. Slade went from the badass frenemy who made a promise to getting his shit kicked in by Thea Queen as a villain of the week. Walter disappeared. There's much more, but the list would be too long and start to look like an essay.

Chase17

Ok three team trade.

Malcom to LoT
Some version of Wells to Arrow
Snart to Flash

All three shows improve. Flash is my weakest case though.

? I'm not just referring to Flash Point. They set up Black Racer, and earlier that season they set up Grodd.

and yes, she has definitely changed, not sure why you'd think otherwise. To quote someone else regarding Felicity,

How has she change ?
Other than the BS that comes with being the main romantic interest in a CW show .

ZeroX03

Banned
Finale was better after Darhk died. The music in the fight scene and last montage was great. Neely always delivers on finales.

Like I mentioned earlier, "end of the world" as stakes is really played out now that we're at peak superhero media. I think one of the reasons Batman works a lot better with stakes is that it builds up Gotham as a character - Nolan, Scott Snyder come to mind - so you give a shit because what's at stake is something that you've invested time in and can actually suffer. The world won't blow up, a city can. Arrow S1 to S3 understood that, and S4 touched on it with the civilians, but we know the world isn't going to blow up so ehhhh it's just kind of busy work for the heroes. The same reason Flash kinda fucked up by going with
Flashpoint instead of Crisis, we know the timeline is safe-ish overall so Flashpoint can't affect much, but at least Crisis would bring Supergirl in easily.
I was just in and out of focusing on this episode, whereas when the characters laser focused on Darhk because of Laurel's death it was a lot more compelling. Same thing with Flash's S1 finale, the wormhole was just like "oh that'll get written away" but the mother and Reverse Flash stuff is what draws the emotion out. So I was just tuning out half the time.

Darhk was good even if he should've come in at episode 9 instead of right from the beginning. McDonough has great presence and sells shaky material. Overall storyline was about what we expect, not ambitious but written in a serviceable manner.

Kard8p3

How has she change ?
Other than the BS that comes with being the main romantic interest in a CW show .

That's an understatement and yeah everyone loved her in s1 and s2. arrow is like the perfect case study in 100% complete and perfect character assassination.

Ollie went from a sociopath with some cool moves and clever tricks to a dumbass like Barry who shoots his bow (non-lethally) once in a blue moon. Felicity went from the quirky comic relief IT girl to the central character in a soap opera. Slade went from the badass frenemy who made a promise to getting his shit kicked in by Thea Queen as a villain of the week. Walter disappeared. There's much more, but the list would be too long and start to look like an essay.

^

GulAtiCa

I suppose its fine. And doubt were gonna feel the effects of the Flash finale anyways

Yeah, would be cool, but doubt we will see it interfere with Arrow much. Curious how they do all that.

One thing we do know, is obviously in new season Ollie is mayor, team is at basic roots (+Curtis for 3 people), and flashbacks takes during Russia.

Kard8p3

I should stress that you can think w/e you want. Opinions and all that jazz. I just think Arrow has taken a dive, plot and character wise, since S2 ended.

... That was hands down the worst Arrow finale of the entire series... like seriously wtf happened to this show?

I mean if they actually had the balls to not bring back the group that left right at the very beginning of the next season and let Oliver/Felicity actually have time to work things out between them that would actually be an interesting premise... but we all know the first 2 maybe 3 episodes at most of the next season are just going to be setting up the status quo again. Oh yeah I guess Curtis is a for sure thing now too.

Can we just bring Roy back and keep Curtis? I'd love all the baggage to just stay away for awhile. I mean Felicity is her own baggage but shes clearly not going anywhere the Olicity fans would fucking riot.

I should stress that you can think w/e you want. Opinions and all that jazz. I just think Arrow has taken a dive, plot and character wise, since S2 ended.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that, I think where most of the issues come from the fact that after season 3 there's a general apathy towards the show especially with the Flash as a comparison point and that there's a slight division on whether or not its getting better.

... That was hands down the worst Arrow finale of the entire series... like seriously wtf happened to this show?

I mean if they actually had the balls to not bring back the group that left right at the very beginning of the next season and let Oliver/Felicity actually have time to work things out between them that would actually be an interesting premise... but we all know the first 2 maybe 3 episodes at most of the next season are just going to be setting up the status quo again. Oh yeah I guess Curtis is a for sure thing now too.

Can we just bring Roy back and keep Curtis? I'd love all the baggage to just stay away for awhile. I mean Felicity is her own baggage but shes clearly not going anywhere the Olicity fans would fucking riot.

When you look at it it's the reverse of last season .
Olicity left and everyone else stay and now everyone left and Olicity stay .

I don't think anyone disagrees with that, I think where most of the issues come from the fact that after season 3 there's a general apathy towards the show especially with the Flash as a comparison point and that there's a slight division on whether or not its getting better.

I would say this season was better than 3 for certain but it did not feel as good as season 2 maybe even 1 .
Flash on the other hand i had high hopes for it after season 1 and was let down .

The apathy is well deserved.

GulAtiCa

No set up for next season, nothing to talk about during the off season? the last 2 minutes disappointed me after we got great season ending 2 minutes from Legends and Flash.

No set up?

Oliver is mayor. Team Arrow back to basics. Rest of team goes separate ways, but will likely come back. Flashbacks now in Russia as Ollie gets trained there.

Damn I was feeling that Finale. I legit got hyped when Darhk said he didn't need powers he's a former League of Assassins member. I lol'd when they traded punches like it was a WWE match though. Glad he actually killed him in the end especially when he tried to bring up him not killing Slade. Looking forward to next season and I'll never understand why the hater of this show will not stop watching the show. Like seriously it's never gonna get better for you guys at all. It's going to get worse and worse and what's even more laughable is(Flash Spoilers)
that some of you guys really think the whole Flashpoint thing is gonna undo the last two season
. That kinda pathetic but oh well.

Effect

I have to sit on this one to decide if this ended up being better then Flash. Right now as far as the DC shows go Flash's finale is at the bottom for me and there is a decent gap between it and the next one up and that one I find had a good finale while Flash's wasn't good.. Arrow's is going to be near Flash but not sure if it will be above it or not. My initial reaction is to easily place it ahead of Flash's finale with it being closer to it being satisfying while Flash's wasn't. Arrow's had far to many stupid moments though.

ZeroX03

Banned
For those wondering about S5 set-up, The CW upfronts description vaguely alluded to Oliver confronting threats from his past. If I'd wager a guess, as supposedly the last year of flashbacks they'll probably go hard into the Russia/nukes thing.

I'm sort of excited about flashbacks. Mostly because my hope is if they're actually coming to an end they can throw everything at the wall and stop spinning their wheels. And they can give us the neck snapping serial killer we deserve. That's what I'd do anyway.

Season 2 - you could say Deathstroke was sort of set up
Season 3 - It teased the city... didn't they?
Season 4 - can't remember

At end of season 2 they beat slade and went home happy .
At end of season 3 he left with felicity .

Truth is i much rather season endings like arrow and this season Gotham .
Cliffhanger endings are such bullshit .

At end of season 2 they beat slade and went home happy .
At end of season 3 he left with felicity .

Truth is i much rather season endings like arrow and this season Gotham .
Cliffhanger endings are such bullshit .

In season 3 (near the end) they kept teasing Darhk and HIVE.

And in the end of season 2 they have Oliver in Hong Kong(?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom