• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Doing some color exercise. Relatively happy with the way it came out

fK2bpMd.jpg

barik

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a few years now, there's a lot of great stuff in here! Now that I can finally post, here's some of my work of the past few years:

This is just a small selection, you can see more at www.rikdegroot.com (which is also my tumblr)

Firebrand

I thought this could be the place to ask:

If one were to spend a little money to get new gear for digital painting, would you recommend a Cintiq 13HD? Or, for the same money (at most), just go with an Intuos 5 Pro and a decent IPS? The only monitors I have atm are TN panels (1680x1050) with so-so viewing angles (it can be distracting when watching movies on them already).

Futureman

I used the Cintiq Companion (or whatever the Android one is called) and honestly I like my Intuous better. Now that's probably because I'm sooo used to it at this point, plus the Android one might not be as responsive?

if you can find a 13HD and try it out that would be my recommendation.

Futureman

sooo I'm doing the art for a graphic novel and my girlfriend will do the writing. We will both be characters, not sure to what capacity yet, but here's my girl! Her sister said she should be cuter.... Not sure how to go about that!

marleelo.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So... I need a little lighting help. I'm trying to do a value rough and it doesn't doesn't feel right, but I need some opinion.

Any thoughts on how to make the values better?

vM74EX9.jpg

C.B.

So... I need a little lighting help. I'm trying to do a value rough and it doesn't doesn't feel right, but I need some opinion.

vM74EX9.jpg

Always remember that light bounces off at right angles, and I think you could do with another (more subtle) light source. Something that seems like a more atmospheric glow, rather than a direct source like the flame off to the left side (perhaps coming out of the door to the right?); that would be out of personal taste for me though.

I was actually talking about values the other day and the whole high key and low key stuff and this was something that had a nice little run down regarding it. It can be a bit hard find the right amount of contrast in any picture, especially when you have very specific types of light sources.

Finished this a few days ago.

Which was a commission for a fellow gaffer actually. I just hope people never stop paying me to paint nearly naked dudes.

RurouniZel

Always remember that light bounces off at right angles, and I think you could do with another (more subtle) light source. Something that seems like a more atmospheric glow, rather than a direct source like the flame off to the left side (perhaps coming out of the door to the right?); that would be out of personal taste for me though.

I was actually talking about values the other day and the whole high key and low key stuff and this was something that had a nice little run down regarding it. It can be a bit hard find the right amount of contrast in any picture, especially when you have very specific types of light sources.

Finished this a few days ago.

Which was a commission for a fellow gaffer actually. I just hope people never stop paying me to paint nearly naked dudes.

Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

And nice painting. :3

Post more damnit.

Finished this the other day:

oxx5juuv.jpg

thinking I might actually redo this traditionally when I've got my set up ready.

OMG this is amazing. I both love and admire your stupid awesome skillz. I really want to see this traditional so definitely do it.

Also I will! For realsies.

Acid08

Banned
Hey all! First time posting, been lurking for a while. I'm taking drawing classes at school and just wanna post something I did last night. Learning anatomy has been one of my main goals, I really want to be able to draw people/animals well. Anyway here's the drawing, took me about 3 hours to finish:

Any thoughts or critiques? I'm still trying to figure out how I want to draw faces, I kind of just smudged the mouth, nose, and eyes together. It's really difficult for me to get right.

East Lake

Hey Acid it depends on how rigorous you want to be. A lot of people recommend Loomis or Bridgman. Artistic anatomy from Paul Richer is good but they only translated the male version and it's extremely detailed. Dunno if Bridgman is good for women either. If I were you when you're not doing your class assignments perhaps try to focus on getting good at drawing individual features. Maybe you want to get good at drawing eyes for example. You'll want to do this from as many angles as you can. You can practice for the whole body but when starting out you don't want to get bogged down with details. Make sure the line is in the right place and make sure it looks right in perspective before you pour a lot of work into rendering. That's why anatomy books will often start out with simple skeletons or mannequin line figures. Maybe just use hatching for shadow as well. Check out the line work in this Michelangelo study.

http://images.metmuseum.org/CRDImages/dp/original/DP826907.jpg

Here's the french version of Paul Richer's Female Anatomy from the Library of France. You might not be able to read it but it's still useful to copy some of the images there as practice. You can download the whole pdf.

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5533512w.r=paul+richer.langEN

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k205846w.r=paul+richer.langEN
^Male version in french.

Here's an example from a page where he drew eyes from different angles.

mQUmUZs.jpg

Also try not to get too discouraged when you're having trouble drawing something as you see it. Particularly when you look at anatomy drawings they may look simple on the page but actually hard to replicate easily, and that's because a veteran artist has developed techniques over years that you haven't yet, and you need time and practice to be able to execute it well. So if you get frustrated with something like drawing eyes take a break and move onto lips or try using a different style/techique to keep your progress going.

Phandy

vM74EX9.jpg

When I'm doing environments with strong distinct light sources in the dark, the main things i consider are is the face in the light, and how far is it from the source. Any face of objects that are in 'view' of the light source get lit, and then the intensity of the light on the surface is just how far away it is from the source.

Heres a 30 second rough :) Probably makes more sense;

Here's some recent paintings, I haven't posted enough here :)

So, if I've been wanting to learn how to draw for a while, is this the place to seek advice? I don't have much free time, but enough to jump in and I would like to learn how to do basic illustrations.

There's a lot of good stuff in here, by the way. Bombasador, that Olaf thing is crazy cool. Phandy, I really like your paintings.

RurouniZel

When I'm doing environments with strong distinct light sources in the dark, the main things i consider are is the face in the light, and how far is it from the source. Any face of objects that are in 'view' of the light source get lit, and then the intensity of the light on the surface is just how far away it is from the source.

Wow, thank you. This is super awesome! :D

And your paintings are quite amazing! :D

Phandy I know the brushes dont make the artist but man I want your brushes. :p

Anyway I did this:

Phandy

Phandy I know the brushes dont make the artist but man I want your brushes. :p

Anyway I did this:

They're a huge mixture of people's I've found over the years, I think the main ones are; Jaime Jones, Shaddy Safadi, and Zedig, alot of tweakingto them and a bunch from the guys at work too.

Nice girl too :)
(I think she needs a little dip in her upper lip though)

f0lken

So fucking many amazing works here, I deliberately avoid posting here because other than saying "Wow, such amazing draw/painting/art/etc) I don't think I can be a good critic, so I want to be critiziced in hopes of getting better and of course showing my work, this is part of an ongoing photographic project of the Sandman comic by Neil Gaiman, I hope you like it! Soon I will post the full gallery

Damn Phandy, your environments are amazing. Love the colors and compisition. MAybe you could give me some pointers on how to improve. This is a landscape piece for a game me and some guys are making. I am the conceptual artist.
Blighted_Canyon.jpg

DEO3

It's been a while since I've worked on anything, sadly I think my last submission to this thread was nearly two years ago now. Anyway here's my latest, made for an upcoming abstract art show:

"Skylines" 16x12 on scratchboard

Futureman

two new...

woolefou-lo.jpg

hh.jpg

The house is for a little book my GF and I are doing. She's writing fake house histories for houses that she loves in our area. I'm terrible at drawing anything but characters, so I'm doing a trace style over photos I take and then messing with colors and blending modes in PS.

Did this one a while back. I want to color it but I don't have much time right now. I've been doing some more traditional work since I've decided to be more active in getting my stuff out there in front of people so they can give me money. I kinda miss the cleanliness of digital tho

edit: I quite like your work Foxy Fox. I'm now following your tumblr which I tend to check more than this thread. I like the Zangief a lot!

bumpbumpbump

I didn't want to make a whole topic dedicated to this so I looked all over the place for a thread with digital artists that post their own artwork and I landed here.

I'm actually looking to request a commission from an artist here. Paid gig. Nothing too crazy and i'm not rolling in money but maybe someone would be down to collaborate with me on something cool. Looking for an album cover with color specifically.

If you're interested, PM me!

Mik2121

Love the colors on your second painting (the red one).

Top Bottom