• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

JambiBum

conman said:
Anyone done the work of decoding the hidden messages? I'm not talking about the puzzles, but the other stuff that you don't need to solve, but that's hidden throughout the backgrounds of the puzzles. I deciphered all the Morse code segments (some odd bits in it), but I can't decode the binary stuff, nor have I figured out the letter code that's used. Anyone?

No one in the spoiler thread has done it, but I figured that there might be a link or guide somewhere that does this work already.

For a couple of the letter puzzles the key is A=H. You have to look around on the picture some to find the letter key but it is always around. For the binary codes you can just use this translator.

Mana Sin

Glorious. I got the patch and the very first thing I did was pull off two double assassination within like 3-5seconds. No freeze, no lag, nothing but sweet satisfaction. :) Bring on the DLC! January can't come soon enough, AC2 DLC and Bayonetta for me >:)

conman

JambiBum said:
For a couple of the letter puzzles the key is A=H. You have to look around on the picture some to find the letter key but it is always around. For the binary codes you can just use this translator.
I found a few of the letter translations (C=A, A=H, etc), but not enough to do full transcriptions. Figured I'd just go back through the glyph puzzles and get those later. Thanks for the binary translator link. Not sure why that didn't occur to me to look for since that's what I did for the Morse code segments. I think that's all there is (binary, Morse, and letter transliterations). Anything I'm missing?

antispin

A personal take on these control complaints: I agree that the controls could stand to be a lot more 'predictable' -- most times they work as is but when they fail, they do so spectacularly. I think it's mostly because of the 'intelligence' in the way the AC character traverses terrain: so much of it is left to the machine to figure out -- I want to climb that ledge, then swing on the pole, jump over the chimneys and run along that beam, finally jumping to the other roof -- the software understands this for the most part but sometimes it doesn't and that's when you get spectacular failures like taking a leap of faith onto dirt instead of hay, or getting stuck between two surfaces during a chase scene...

Having said that, I played U2 right after AC2 and I thought Uncharted controlled very stiffly in comparison. I loved U1 controls, haven't played AC1, but AC2 > U2 in controls and animation. IMO, Ubisoft has done a better job at both compared to ND.

conman said:
Anyone done the work of decoding the hidden messages? I'm not talking about the puzzles, but the other stuff that you don't need to solve, but that's hidden throughout the backgrounds of the puzzles. I deciphered all the Morse code segments (some odd bits in it), but I can't decode the binary stuff, nor have I figured out the letter code that's used. Anyone?

No one in the spoiler thread has done it, but I figured that there might be a link or guide somewhere that does this work already.

I decoded most of them so far (up to 17), though I might have missed the first few. I just typed up the message then Googled for an appropriate translator (binary, hex, Morse, ASCII). There is one message I didn't get because the cipher is given in pieces over various other clues, and I didn't realize what it was until later.

I'll post the ones I decoded here. Unfortunately I didn't record which clues they came from but it's usually obvious, and the messages don't really contain any useful information.

Antikythera Mechanism' much older than 150 B.C.E.

Ancient city, Rajasthan, India, irradiated by PoE

Sumerian. Me 23. [Wikipedia says that glyph means "to be."]

17 July, 1918 [Date Nicholas II was executed]

30 May, 1431 [Date Joan of Arc was executed]

THEY USED IT TO MAKE TESLA GO INSANE THE ORGANIZATION TOOK HIS RESEARCH ALIEN PROPERTY CUSTODIAN OFFICE

Out of context, most of those seem meaningless, but if you read them in the context of the rest of the story and how the
Templars control every fucking thing
they make a little more sense.

conman

faceless007 said:
Oh sweet, I can go back and find the messages I missed before. Thanks.
Just go to the "location" section and select the places that have the glyph symbol on them (assuming you've already solved them).

Basically I reinstalled my Steam copy of AC1 for PC ...and wow, the controls are SOOO MUCH BETTER! Don't get me wrong, I more often than not prefer analog input to digital, but in AC's case, your not having to deal with all of that waisted analog range, holding down for High profile (you can toggle it on PC!), and imprecise camera movement.

So my solution?

I'm going to replay AC1 (never finished it) and actually buy AC2 through Steam next spring. Problem solved!

mr.beers

AgentOtaku said:
Yep ...controls arent for me either ...especially with titles like inFamous out there. Ubi can keep their pretentious ass controls =/

I had more problems with Infamous controls tbh but AC2 is still janky.

Aspiring

Finally got around to playing this today and its quite good. I still have no idea what i am doing, and am only up to beating
claudios boyfriend up
but its good. Seems like there is a lot to do. Its a bit tricky getting used to the controls. I keep pressing x to jump, but i dont have to, all i have to do is click up to climb walls etc and jumping to my death. Still so far so good. I must say though the graphics are somewhat crap. After playing UC2, the characters faces and all look last gen.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So I went into this game with fairly low expectations and holy shit, there's a lot of stuff to do. I'm really liking it so far -- all the database entries, equipment and etc.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah. You can't replay Memory Sequences, but you can do just about everything else, including replaying the tombs, finishing up all sidequests, and completing the collection elements.

Great, thanks!

Besides that, how the hell am I supposed to find all the feathers? Why the hell aren't they located on the map like the treasures and such? The OCD-child is crying inside me. :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
They took the place of the flags from ACI, and have to be sought out. At least there are only 100 feathers vs. the 400 or so flags!

Hit up some online maps that have them all plotted out for you.
I ran through the cities grabbing feathers and treasures together.

conman

Silicon Knight said:
Great, thanks!

Besides that, how the hell am I supposed to find all the feathers? Why the hell aren't they located on the map like the treasures and such? The OCD-child is crying inside me. :(
They're not that difficult to find. Most of them I found incidentally while playing. The few stragglers I found while cleaning up the treasure chests with Eagle Vision on.

conman

faceless007 said:
I'll post the ones I decoded here. Unfortunately I didn't record which clues they came from but it's usually obvious, and the messages don't really contain any useful information.
Great stuff! I got some of these and at least one you haven't. I'll post those once I get the chance. Definitely useful in figuring out what's happening in the game's larger "meta-plot."

Antikythera Mechanism' much older than 150 B.C.E.
Pretty obvious. Just trying to establish a very old, technologically advanced civilization. This is that ancient astronomical device with the mechanical wheel, often referred to as an ancient "calculator." Reminds me of the sextant that Da Vinci always has strapped to his belt that looks a lot like the compass symbol of the Assassins (which is also in my avatar picture of a William Blake drawing BTW, and of course in Masonic iconography).

Ancient city, Rajasthan, India, irradiated by PoE
Location of one of the oldest urban civilizations, along with ancient Mesopotamia and Egypt. In line with the above "calculator," the ancient Indus civilization is credited with having an especially advanced system of weights and measures. They also significantly didn't have big tombs like the other early urban centers (where the "gods" would have been housed according to Minerva). The civilization died out eventually, which is presumably what the "irradiated" bit refers to.

Sumerian. Me 23. [Wikipedia says that glyph means "to be."]
Sumerian is from one of the other ancient urban centers (Babylonia in Mesopotamia). According to Wikipedia, the "mes" are physical objects that were embodiments of decrees from the gods (similar to the tablets containing the commandments in the story of Moses). There are 64 of them in total, and the 23rd one listed says "weapons," but it has a question mark after it in the entry, so it might not be certain. In any event, this seems to go hand-in-hand with the multiple references in the game to large-scale weaponry like the atom bomb (the columns of fire).

17 July, 1918 [Date Nicholas II was executed]
Seems to be an echo of the earlier uprisings referred to by Minerva and subject 16. The sequence of events also closely resembles the way that Ezio's family was executed. Also, interestingly, Nicholas was sainted.

30 May, 1431 [Date Joan of Arc was executed]
Also executed and heroized. She looks a lot like the drawing in the codex of the woman in armor and a bit like the (Templar?) woman that Altair sleeps with and has a child with. Also, her symbol was the "Cross of Lorraine" that looks identical to the PoE staff. The symbol has since been used by all sorts of organizations, including the French resistance during WWII.

THEY USED IT TO MAKE TESLA GO INSANE THE ORGANIZATION TOOK HIS RESEARCH ALIEN PROPERTY CUSTODIAN OFFICE
Sounds like the end of the first Indiana Jones movie. Also, of course sounds like subject 16. Both were driven insane by Templar experimentation. Does this mean that the technology of the animus is derived from the same technology as the PoE's? I'd say a definitive "yes." This fits in with my theory that the Ones Who Came Before actually came after. This makes the PoE's something like the technology in the Terminator movies. They were never invented since they were originally created by copying a future version. Similar to humanity in the AC universe. The Ones created humanity in their image, but the Ones are also the culmination of human civilization in the future; therefore, humanity was never created since it had always simply created itself.

Out of context, most of those seem meaningless, but if you read them in the context of the rest of the story and how the
Templars control every fucking thing
they make a little more sense.
Those are actually incredibly useful in helping to piece together this total mindfuck of a story. Good job!

In the Assassin's Tombs where you have to chase a guard while he tries to block your path and force you to take alternate routes, does anyone have any tips on how to catch up to them and kill them? They run at the same speed as Ezio so I'm finding it a real bitch to do that. I know you don't have to but I want to. I'm specifically talking about Santa Maria della Visitazione.

Found 2 things that really piss me off about the game.

1. The PS3 save is copying prohibited, which means if your PS3 breaks you're fucked.
2. Really wish you could replay story missions, you could in AC1, why not 2?

Jaeyden

Just finished it. The story was pretty cool and definitely less repetitive than AC1. The last half of the game though I just wanted it to end. Alot of stuff just felt like a chore...particularly this mopping up of feathers I've still got to do.

I had high expectations for the performance side of this game. They've had plenty of time to iron out the kinks in their engine. IMO, UBI made absolutely no improvements over AC1 in this regard. The tearing is AWFUL on the PS3, and it destroys any sense of immersion that might be there. Numerous little graphical hitches like flashing colors, random lines permeating the map and the frame drops in high action events made me feel like the game was rushed....once again. The texture pop-ins are frequent and far too noticeable, and watching the shadows 'click' across the screen during daylight is just downright laughable for a game at this point in the generation.

Like I said, the story is cool and I really want to see what happens next but I'll wait till part 3 hits bargain price before I purchase. Part 1 and 2 just don't perform the way a free runner like this should and I spent $120 to learn that the hard way.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
faceless007 said:
In the Assassin's Tombs where you have to chase a guard while he tries to block your path and force you to take alternate routes, does anyone have any tips on how to catch up to them and kill them? They run at the same speed as Ezio so I'm finding it a real bitch to do that. I know you don't have to but I want to. I'm specifically talking about Santa Maria della Visitazione.

I don't think you can, you just chase them until you get to the destination and play it out from there.

OK, this is incredibly annoying. I inadvertently got into a fight with a bunch of brutes (anyone have any tips on how to fight these guys besides smoke bombs?) and one of them knocked my Milanese Sword away. In the course of fighting I must have picked up a Maul, a far weaker weapon, and when the fight was over I couldn't swap it back for the Sword. The Maul had replaced the sword in my inventory, even after I quit out and reloaded. Unless I'm missing something, why the fuck couldn't I pick up my sword again permanently?

Edit: I went back to the villa and re-equipped it. Still annoying.

Red

faceless007 said:
OK, this is incredibly annoying. I inadvertently got into a fight with a bunch of brutes (anyone have any tips on how to fight these guys besides smoke bombs?) and one of them knocked my Milanese Sword away. In the course of fighting I must have picked up a Maul, a far weaker weapon, and when the fight was over I couldn't swap it back for the Sword. The Maul had replaced the sword in my inventory, even after I quit out and reloaded. Unless I'm missing something, why the fuck couldn't I pick up my sword again permanently?
Why not just go back to your villa and get it? It's inconvenient, but not game breaking.

Mikey Jr.

How do you change armor? I bought some crappy armor just to fill out my equipment requirement, but I don't know how to change back to my good stuff.

Hyunkel6

Mikey Jr. said:
How do you change armor? I bought some crappy armor just to fill out my equipment requirement, but I don't know how to change back to my good stuff.
I may be wrong, but I think that you have no choice but to go back to your villa, and swap armors in the armor room. I don't think you can do it in the pause menu.

Interestingly, for those that didn't know, the ending plot revelation is heavily inspired by the
Sumerian creation theory (essentially we were created by humanoid extraterrestrials).
It was a shock and one of the biggest WTF moments I've ever had but I'm not so sure I like the route they are taking here with the whole
2012 theme
. I much prefer the historical and political vibe of the game.

Duelist

NinjaFridge said:
I don't think you can, you just chase them until you get to the destination and play it out from there.

Yes, you can assassinate them. I did for both of them before they reached the guards.

What you have to do is keep up with them, and then near the end there'll be a part where you can take a path going upwards above them. From there, you can air assassinate them.

Fusebox

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:

Go back to your armour room.

I waited till end-game before buying all my trash weapons and armour and I did it from my Villa to save coin and walking distance.

Only problem is, I'm missing one blunt weapon from my rack and none of the blacksmiths seem to sell it. Any tips?

Red

Fusebox said:
Go back to your armour room.

I waited till end-game before buying all my trash weapons and armour and I did it from my Villa to save coin and walking distance.

Only problem is, I'm missing one blunt weapon from my rack and none of the blacksmiths seem to sell it. Any tips?
You need to find 50 feathers to unlock it at the villa.

conman

Meus Renaissance said:
Interestingly, for those that didn't know, the ending plot revelation is heavily inspired by the
Sumerian creation theory (essentially we were created by humanoid extraterrestrials).
It was a shock and one of the biggest WTF moments I've ever had but I'm not so sure I like the route they are taking here with the whole
2012 theme
. I much prefer the historical and political vibe of the game.
This sort of idea is actually present in almost all creation stories, which is part of the point that this game's story is making. It's doing comparative mythology (in the vein of James Frazer or Joseph Campbell) and turning it into historical conspiracy. Closer to PK Dick than to Dan Brown IMO. Either it works for you, or it doesn't. I'm a big fan of paranoid fiction, conspiracy fiction, and gnostic-influenced science fiction (Gene Wolfe, etc), so it's right up my alley.

The problem is that there are a lot of untalented hacks who try to do this type of plot (the writers of Lost, for example), but only a few can do it well. So it gives the genre a bad name. The writers/designers of AC2 aren't always great at it, but they're pretty damn good. I think AC1 did a much better job of selling the fiction, but AC2 does a good job of building on the core story ideas of the first.

Darktails

conman said:
The Ones created humanity in their image, but the Ones are also the culmination of human civilization in the future; therefore, humanity was never created since it had always simply created itself.
... and would continue to do so ad infinitum.
That just blew my mind. :lol

Edit:
But if you think about it, it becomes pretty obvious that there's an inherent logical flaw in this thesis.
Humanity first has to come into existence before it would be able to "create itself".

conman

Darktails said:
But if you think about it, it becomes pretty obvious that there's an inherent logical flaw in this thesis.
Humanity first has to come into existence before it would be able to "create itself".
Right. That's the idea.
It's what Terminator 2 did.
It's not an inherently hoaky idea; it's all about how you convey it.

So far, it's not clear if this is where the AC crew are taking the series. At the very least, we know that
the "gods" exist outside of time, or at least outside of Desmond's time. Either they entered the world in a way similar to how Desmond enters the worlds of the animus (using some sort of technology to visit a time before humanity and create them), or they're performing some sort of time travel.
Judging by the "rules" of the fiction that Ubi Montreal has established for the series, my sense is it's the former, not the latter. But I still need to re-watch some of the key cutscenes and re-read the codices and glyph messages.

Miburou

Yeah, the way the game tries to predict what you want to do works 80% of the time, but in those 20% when it doesn't, it really can get annoying, and is exasperated by being able to go in only 8 directions. I wish games like this would have the option of more manual control, like having to hold a button if you want to hide in a haystack, or climb a wall or dive off a ledge. It's something I also wish Uncharted 2 had, but to a lesser degree.

A lot of people probably had trouble with the game during focus testing, which is why it's so much less challenging than AC1, what with the generous time limits and the way missions are divided into bite-sized chunks with checkpoints and guides to make sure you rarely fail. The only challenging parts were the races and some of the tombs.

It's a shame really, because I love every other aspect of the game, from the beautiful and atmospheric graphics to the amazing music and entertaining story, and there's a huge amount of content in the game.

conman

The only place the movement mechanics fall apart is during chases. So long as you're traveling in a straight line or scaling slowly up a building, everything works great.

Also, I don't think combat is supposed to be "difficult" in the sense that it kills you. It's an inconvenience that interferes with the flow of the experience. I don't know about you all, but it's enough motivation to keep my notoriety down knowing that guards will keep attacking me. I'm not annoyed because I might die. I'm just annoyed because it keeps me from doing what I want to do.

IMO that's a pretty major innovation in game design. Rather than using death aversion as a motivation, they're using conflict aversion. Great idea.

Althoran

Got the sweeper trophy yesterday. Now only one tomb to go, finishing the story and getting those last few feathers and it's a platinum.

This is really a great game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really loved the controls of Assassin's Creed 2. I had problems in the first couple of hours, but as soon as I learned to not constantly hold down the 'high profile button' and the 'legs' button while running around and to be much more deliberate with my movement I stopped having weird episodes where Ezio would leap somewhere I didn't want him to. I did notice a few occasions when climbing a building where I would have to position the camera in a certain way for Ezio to continue climbing upwards, though.

Anyway, I finally finished up all of the glyphs and I must say I really enjoyed the payoff video. I pretty much knew who the two "characters" in the video were right from the beginning, but I really enjoyed the game's take on their story. All I have left to do is to collect the remaining 30 or so feathers. Fortunately they are all located in Venice, but I can't same I am really in a rush to go finish them off. I'm still pissed that I can't go back and get the "kick an enemy while on the flying machine" achievement. Oh well, I'm sure I will definitely play through the game again soon. Hopefully the PC version comes out sooner than later.

Miburou

Zefah said:
I really loved the controls of Assassin's Creed 2. I had problems in the first couple of hours, but as soon as I learned to not constantly hold down the 'high profile button' and the 'legs' button while running around and to be much more deliberate with my movement I stopped having weird episodes where Ezio would leap somewhere I didn't want him to. I did notice a few occasions when climbing a building where I would have to position the camera in a certain way for Ezio to continue climbing upwards, though.

Anyway, I finally finished up all of the glyphs and I must say I really enjoyed the payoff video. I pretty much knew who the two "characters" in the video were right from the beginning, but I really enjoyed the game's take on their story. All I have left to do is to collect the remaining 30 or so feathers. Fortunately they are all located in Venice, but I can't same I am really in a rush to go finish them off. I'm still pissed that I can't go back and get the "kick an enemy while on the flying machine" achievement. Oh well, I'm sure I will definitely play through the game again soon. Hopefully the PC version comes out sooner than later.

Thank god I'm not the only one who missed that achievement! I was thinking you'd have access to the flying machine later or would be able to replay that mission, but nope, you have only one shot at that achievement.

voltron

I cant believe how HUUUUGE this game is. Lovin' it!

And my 360 version looks like the top screen too. It comes down to what display you use.

conman

Was watching the Truth video some more, and got a few more details from it. No one's using the story/spoiler thread, so I figured it'd be better to just keep posting this all here instead.

First off, there is obviously more than one "apple" since Eve has one and the God in the factory has another one in its hand that it's using to control the humans working in the factory. I saw this being debated in some story discussion, so I thought I'd make that clear.

Second, the binary code at the end identifies the place as Eden (duh). We also know this is from BCE, but the date is classified. Makes it sound like it's more recent than we might otherwise assume.

Third, it looks like Adam and Eve are wearing some sort of specialized suit. You can see the neckline on Eve when she turns around at the end. I wasn't sure how we were supposed to take her lack of nipples and both of their lack of ass crack. But it looks like, yes, they're wearing something that only makes them look nude.

Fourth, we know this is from one of subject 16's memories, but it's tough to say whose perspective he's seeing. They appear to be getting chased (Eve glances over her shoulder and she shouts a final "look out!" at the end), but it's tough to say if subject 16 is one of them or if he's the chaser.

Fifth, anyone recognize the mountain in the distance? I have a feeling it's supposed to be recognizable, but I have no idea what mountain it is. It does, however, look an awful lot like the mountains of the Indus Valley--which is the place referenced by one of the glyph codes.

Sixth, they seem to have some version of Eagle Vision. As they're climbing up the side of the building, you hear the familiar sound of Eagle Vision being switched on, then they look through the wall and see the "god" holding a PoE and controlling the other humans working in the factory (a scene that conflates the Adam/Eve story with the Exodus story, no?).

That's it for now.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
conman said:
Was watching the Truth video some more, and got a few more details from it. No one's using the story/spoiler thread, so I figured it'd be better to just keep posting this all here instead.

First off, there is obviously more than one "apple" since Eve has one and the God in the factory has another one in its hand that it's using to control the humans working in the factory. I saw this being debated in some story discussion, so I thought I'd make that clear.

Second, the binary code at the end identifies the place as Eden (duh). We also know this is from BCE, but the date is classified. Makes it sound like it's more recent than we might otherwise assume.

Third, it looks like Adam and Eve are wearing some sort of specialized suit. You can see the neckline on Eve when she turns around at the end. I wasn't sure how we were supposed to take her lack of nipples and both of their lack of ass crack. But it looks like, yes, they're wearing something that only makes them look nude.

Fourth, we know this is from one of subject 16's memories, but it's tough to say whose perspective he's seeing. They appear to be getting chased (Eve glances over her shoulder and she shouts a final "look out!" at the end), but it's tough to say if subject 16 is one of them or if he's the chaser.

Fifth, anyone recognize the mountain in the distance? I have a feeling it's supposed to be recognizable, but I have no idea what mountain it is. It does, however, look an awful lot like the mountains of the Indus Valley--which is the place referenced by one of the glyph codes.

Sixth, they seem to have some version of Eagle Vision. As they're climbing up the side of the building, you hear the familiar sound of Eagle Vision being switched on, then they look through the wall and see the "god" holding a PoE and controlling the other humans working in the factory (a scene that conflates the Adam/Eve story with the Exodus story, no?).

That's it for now.

I'm fairly sure it (the mountain) is Kilimanjaro in Africa which would work well as Africa is known to be where Human life originates from.

I really like the whole idea that everything we know is basically a lie, and that everything we take to be true has be carefully created to give us the illusion that the world and humanity is much older than it actually is.

Some great stuff on the assassins creed wiki about this stuff.

Miburou said:
Thank god I'm not the only one who missed that achievement! I was thinking you'd have access to the flying machine later or would be able to replay that mission, but nope, you have only one shot at that achievement.

Nope, i'm in the same group too. Can't believe something like that made it into the final game

I dont really play too many games but I just finished this and its probably my favourite game of the year. I had NO idea wtf was going on in the story (never played the first game either) but its such a fun game. After I came to Venice I was like WTF theres ANOTHER city in this game? All the cities looked so good. Jumping controls got annoying though.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
conman said:
Already looked through the wiki. It's seriously wrong on quite a bit of info. Not very helpful, but it is exhaustive.

Like what? It is a wiki so if its wrong you're supposed to change it.

conman

NinjaFridge said:
Like what? It is a wiki so if its wrong you're supposed to change it.
Not into the idea of maintaining a wiki, but it's not any more or less incorrect than most other wiki pages. But the stuff in the "Trivia" section for the Truth entry is spot on, and I missed the
Kilimanjaro bit
. Thanks.

Top Bottom