• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

conman

K' Dash said:
What the fuck did I just watch?
One of the ballsiest moves in big-budget game design. We'll have to wait for the sequel to see if it pays off.

Conceptually, it's consistent. The ending builds on the game's two core thematic ideas:

-the cyclical nature of history
History repeats itself in endless cycles, a la Giambattista Vico. The world goes through cycles of destruction and rebirth. Endless cycle of revolt after revolt coupled with conspiracy (human v. gods, Templar v. Assassin, etc).

-the layered-ness of experience
. Worlds within worlds in the vein of religious mysticism and virtual worlds fiction. Altair/Ezio within Desmond's experience within the realm of these other god-like beings. Arranged just like the conspiracy chart the Ezio carries around. There's always circles within circles within circles.

I hate the Tomb in Venice where you had to leap on these wooden stacks under a timer. You have no idea how often I somehow jumped off a wall into the water to start all over again

BeeDog

Just finished the carnival mission, and the game is beginning to overstay its welcome; my ecstatic first impression is becoming a bit tarnished. :p

There's one major thing that's bothering me with the game, and that is its under-utilization of proper sneaking and actually using environmental items to perform kills. The carnival assassination (spoilers)
where you have to stay hidden from guards for a minute before attempting to assassinate the Doge
was cool, but stuff like that was not used enough. For the next game, they really ought to make the assassinations more dynamic a la the Hitman series; with this game's scope, there ARE ways you can expand on this. It doesn't have to boil down to chase after target; jump from haystack/roof/well; throw knife/
shoot pistol
etc. There should be ways for you to take out a target without ever revealing yourself. Too many assassinations in this game boil into a mass slaughter; let us use environmental stealth kills.

daw840

BeeDog said:
Just finished the carnival mission, and the game is beginning to overstay its welcome; my ecstatic first impression is becoming a bit tarnished. :p

There's one major thing that's bothering me with the game, and that is its under-utilization of proper sneaking and actually using environmental items to perform kills. The carnival assassination (spoilers)
where you have to stay hidden from guards for a minute before attempting to assassinate the Doge
was cool, but stuff like that was not used enough. For the next game, they really ought to make the assassinations more dynamic a la the Hitman series; with this game's scope, there ARE ways you can expand on this. It doesn't have to boil down to chase after target; jump from haystack/roof/well; throw knife/
shoot pistol
etc. There should be ways for you to take out a target without ever revealing yourself. Too many assassinations in this game boil into a mass slaughter; let us use environmental stealth kills.

One of the assasination missions is just like what you want. You have to
assasinate 5 guards without being detected
It took me a few tries buy I got it eventually. I even jumped off a viewpoint about 30 feet down to kill one of them. :D I wish I could have a replay editor to make videos of this shit!

BeeDog said:
The carnival assassination (spoilers) xxxxxxxx was cool, but stuff like that was not used enough.
Crazy. That was the one assassination that bugged me most. Every other way of getting close and performing the kill was closed off to you, and you'd de-rez simply from trying to hide over a low wall or the like.

That kind of forced linearity (like chases where your throwing knives are disabled) robs the game of its open world promise.

conman

NullPointer said:
That kind of forced linearity (like chases where your throwing knives are disabled) robs the game of its open world promise.
I think the first game struck the perfect balance between guiding the experience and leaving multiple options open, but too many haters forced them to ruin a good thing.

The main story assassinations in AC2 just don't have the same spark and narrative arc that the first game did. Everything else in AC2 is an improvement over the first, but Ezio's storyline and the main assassinations are a giant step backwards.

BeeDog

NullPointer said:
Crazy. That was the one assassination that bugged me most. Every other way of getting close and performing the kill was closed off to you, and you'd de-rez simply from trying to hide over a low wall or the like.

The reason I liked this mission so much is because it forces you to act in a specific way, changing up pretty much everything you've done thus far. The assassinations before have all been pretty one-dimensional, and it was easy for me to swallow since the pure novelty of the game was mesmerizing (and there was a lot of stuff to do). But when you manage to upgrade almost all of your keep barely 2/3'rds into the game, you're left with doing the contract side missions (which are one-dimensional since the game doesn't offer you tons of alternatives) and the main missions, and you realize you tackle them pretty much the same way every time.

As I said, some structure and variation to it a la Hitman, but in 15th century Italy would be killer (no pun intended). The carnival mission is much more rigid than that, but still one (small) step closer.

BeeDog said:
As I said, some structure and variation to it a la Hitman, but in 15th century Italy would be killer (no pun intended). The carnival mission is much more rigid than that, but still one (small) step closer.
I wouldn't have minded it if it was earlier in the game and acted as a much needed tutorial, or better yet if there were good reasons to be so limited in your choices besides a quick de-rez when trying to do anything else. As it is I'm not a fan of invisible walls, especially ones that kill you, and especially in a game that gives you such a wide range of choice in most circumstances.

Luckily I had few complaints with AC2, as it managed to balance out the ultra linear missions with more open ended ones, so it wasn't *all* (or even mostly) done in the GTA4 style.

WinFonda

I beat the game yesterday.

I'm not getting into heavy spoilers or anything, but I'll mark it anyway for the sensitive.

I'm still not a fan of the whole 'Desmond's Creed' angle (how he readily benefits from his ancestors sword swinging skill sets, I do not know), but I have come to appreciate the irreverence this series possesses.

Still, their intention to dangle the "it's not over yet!" carrot in front of the series for a long time is kind of a turn off. Also, how they intend to evolve the series out of the sword and shield era remains a mystery.

But my main reason for playing the Creed games are the unique settings and time periods as well as the allure of playing along side historical figures like Da Vinci.

I think if the Creed games were just a series of self contained stories of unique characters in unique time periods with strong historical backbones, we'd all like the games just the same, wouldn't we?

conman

NullPointer said:
I wouldn't have minded it if it was earlier in the game and acted as a much needed tutorial, or better yet if there were good reasons to be so limited in your choices besides a quick de-rez when trying to do anything else.
Yeah, it actually seems like the big Venice missions were designed first. They were the sections that were shown at big events and that were demoed to the press. They had the greatest sense of purpose, direction, and structure.

You're right that it might have made more sense to put these kinds of missions early on where your actions could be much more proscribed. Then slowly take the training wheels off as the game progresses. Then you would have learned some of the different possible approaches to the assassinations, but could have been left to your own (more creative) devices for the later missions.

It looks like the enormous size of the project and the necessity of getting this out for late 2009 meant cutting some big corners in the storyline and mission structure (like the enormous gap in Forli).

big ander

Well, I went about these games very backwards. I remember watching the AC trailer and thinking it looked absolutely amazing, but for some reason I never picked it up. About 2 weeks ago, my I decided to pick up AC2 instead of L4D2, just off of a whim. I felt like playing an adventure game, and I had been playing a lot of FPSs. I've been getting more and more into it. My best play session was today. I'm only in sequence 5, but I had fun assassinating people in the
Pazzi Consiracy
, finding my first glyph, finding some feathers, synching some viewpoints, and uncovering another tomb. This games gonna keep me busy for a while.

Now, I've read the plot for Assassin's Creed 1, but is it worth picking up somewhere and going back to play it? How much would it cost me?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You can find Assassin's Creed new for about $20. It has the same basic gameplay, so you should be able to enjoy it if you've had fun with 2. I thought it was a flawed but great game, I'd recommend playing it.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
big ander said:
Now, I've read the plot for Assassin's Creed 1, but is it worth picking up somewhere and going back to play it? How much would it cost me?

The thing about the first AC game is that it's horribly boring.

Ashour

God dammit, I'm only missing one feather and for the life of me I can't find it. I spent the last 3 hours searching for the piece of shit. I visited every freaking city and all it's surroundings but it's no where to be found. RAAAGGEEE

if there is any tips (I really doubt it), please save me.

SuperSonic1305 said:
I have a code for Palazzo Medici that may or may not work. I'm pretty sure it's for the PS3 version. Anybody want to try?

Sure. I'll take the code if you still have it.

POWERSPHERE said:
So did anyone else just leave the game open with your dude standing in the Villa banking the cheques every hour or so?
Believe me, you really don't have to do this. I played at a casual pace, returning to the villa every so often and I still ended up drowning in cash by the end. If you invest money into the renovations you'll be more than set.

Struct09

Ashour said:
God dammit, I'm only missing one feather and for the life of me I can't find it. I spent the last 3 hours searching for the piece of shit. I visited every freaking city and all it's surroundings but it's no where to be found. RAAAGGEEE

if there is any tips (I really doubt it), please save me.

Go to the options menu, choose DNA, and scroll over to feathers. It will tell you how many feathers you have (or are missing) for each city, and will even break it down into districts for Florence and Venice.

POWERSPHERE said:
So did anyone else just leave the game open with your dude standing in the Villa banking the cheques every hour or so?

Honestly not worth; concentrate on upgrading everything. By the end of the game you'll have 100K+. I've got something like 850K now and nothing to buy.

conman

Fusebox said:
Well that's a big matzo ball to leave hanging out there, what's seriously wrong with the wiki?
Maybe "seriously" was a strong word. It's nothing that isn't wrong with any other wiki site.

spootime

Quick question - If i just got the glider, how much of the game do I roughly have left? (percentage wise.. and not focusing on feathers and bonuses)

Ashour

Struct09 said:
Go to the options menu, choose DNA, and scroll over to feathers. It will tell you how many feathers you have (or are missing) for each city, and will even break it down into districts for Florence and Venice.

Holy fuck! really? I don't know if I should be happy or more angry :lol

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it when I go back home.

/bow.

I just platinum'd this game last night. Had to replay it JUST to get the fly swatter trophy. Wish I read the list before doing my first run through, but it was fun none the less. Great game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
OldJadedGamer said:
I'm sitting at 900/1000. Worth it to go through and hunt down the feathers?

Considering you can track them based off each section of the city, I felt it was pretty painless. A pretty laidback way to finish off the game, just one final thorough look at all the cities.

TTG

Quick question, don't read into this anymore than what it is: Do I pick up the 360 or the PS3 version? Looking for the best performance, obviously.

Talon

TTG said:
Quick question, don't read into this anymore than what it is: Do I pick up the 360 or the PS3 version? Looking for the best performance, obviously.
360 seems to be the consensus but not as wide a difference as with AC1.

Papercuts said:
Considering you can track them based off each section of the city, I felt it was pretty painless. A pretty laidback way to finish off the game, just one final thorough look at all the cities.

Yeah, just did all the feathers in one city in like 20 minutes. I'll finish them up then.

SMZC

I decided to go guy this game this week, I need something to play this Christmas. I have both a 360 and a PS3, where should I get it? Is there a superior version?

EDIT: Oops, just noticed that the same was asked above. Ignore this. I guess I'll get the 360 version.

TTG

SMZC said:
I decided to go guy this game this week, I need something to play this Christmas. I have both a 360 and a PS3, where should I get it? Is there a superior version?

EDIT: Oops, just noticed that the same was asked above. Ignore this. I guess I'll get the 360 version.

If you just got a ps3 not too long ago(like me) or missed MGS4, it's on amazon for 20$ and the shipping on both is free. 60$ nice and even.

Been waiting to pick this up and almost pulled the trigger late last week. So glad I waited for this deal, plus i had a $20 promo credit from mw2. Cant go wrong getting AC2 for $19.

Shito

Struct09 said:
I <3 you.

(and my god what a counter-intuitive UI this game can have...)

daw840

As a question. Do the Assasination mission icons ever disappear? I have played one of them like 5 times and it is still there and feeding me more missions. How do I know when I have completed it?

Mikey Jr.

Just beat this game.

-The controls, while at the beginning were awkward and frustrating, became second nature by the end. They should still be refined, but I get them now.

-The story is absolute trash. In the beginning you see the driving force of why Ezio is killing the guys, but by midpoint, thats completely lost and you are pretty much an assassin for hire. I honestly didn't know why I was killing these guys half the time, nor did the story even try to convince me to give a shit. There was no driving force story-wise to keep me playing. I kept playing cause the combat was great. It just seems like the last 20 minutes of the game they tried to cram something in. Even that part I didn't get.

-Atmosphere was amazing. Seriously, they nailed it. It would have been nice if they made it ALL english, but just a small nitpick. Graphics were great too. Some of those viewpoints were amazing.

In the end, good game but some flaws. A good story gets me pumped for the next game, but not this one. I want to play it to see where they take the setting and how they improve the gameplay, but story was useless.

Rainstadt

Neo Member
The assassination mission icons do disappear. Each time you perform it, you get a new mission until that region's "assassination mission queue" empties. If you open a new region in the same city, you will generally unlock new assassination missions that take place in the new area.

Keep plugging and you will finish them all. You can also check your progress in any city though your DNA menu.

BeeDog

Alright, how much do I have left of the game now? (major spoilers I guess)
I just fought Borgia, he ran away, I got inducted into the League of Shadowy Assassins, and the mission is now to find the rest of the codex pages
. Game is getting progressively more boring, wanna finish it up soon enough.

Mikey Jr.

BeeDog said:
I just fought Borgia, he ran away, I got inducted into the League of Shadowy Assassins, and the mission is now to find the rest of the codex pages

Extremely close.

Rainstadt

Neo Member
Once you collect all of the codices and solve a simple puzzle, you get to pull off the final assassination. As a note for your tedium, the last mission isn't structured like any of the previous, so hopefully you enjoy it.

conman

Mikey Jr. said:
-The Ezio story is absolute trash.
Fixed. IMO the meta-story is excellent (including those five minutes of total WTF prior to the credits).

They got too caught up in making everything else in this game so good that they forgot that we might actually care about what Ezio is doing and why he is doing it. Say what you will about AC1, but we always knew what Altair was doing and why.

Mindlog

BeeDog said:

RE: Spoiler (near end game)

Am I the only one that laughed when that meeting adjourned? It looked like a damned suicide cult or a bunch of lemmings. I could only imagine how uncomfortable things would be in the hay bales and what a passerby would be thinking when he saw a dozen or so people pouring out of a hay bale like a goddamn clown car.

Just finished the last Glyph puzzle. I'm confused. (Uncovered spoiler below about the glyphs since the code tag messes it up, skip past this post if you don't want to read it)

What the fuck was the point of all those 5-digit numbers, and the glyphs themselves? The code screen put a ton of passcodes up and the "code" consisted of 3 glyphs, and I spent about 15 minutes staring at the screen and my notes trying to piece it together. It felt like the codes had been building up to this massive puzzle and I was excited to take it on. But out of frustration I just picked a random set, hit X and...it worked. I'm assuming that means it doesn't matter what you select so there's no actual code to solve. I am disappoint.

The thing is, I'm positive there must be some meaning to that code screen and the "passcodes" you collect after each glyph. The numbers are displayed at uneven heights, but if you align them evenly, it looks like this:

Code:
81126 71645 31754 01545 65119
69185 15124 72114 72069 61902
61908 18916 32120 81492 23118
52931 10152       23414 14523

19 glyphs, 19 passcodes, right? I matched up the numbers with the passcodes and interestingly, they don't all match. There are numbers on that screen that don't correspond with any of the passcodes you're given. If you highlight those, it looks like this:

Code:
81126 71645 [b]31754[/b] 01545 65119
69185 [b]15124[/b] 72114 [b]72069[/b] 61902
[b]61908[/b] 18916 [b]32120[/b] 81492 [b]23118[/b]
52931 10152       23414 14523

The numbers that don't belong form a 3-level pyramid. That can't just be a coincidence. But it implies there's something important about the odd numbers out and I don't know what.

On that note, there are several coded messages in the glyphs I didn't see the key to. I think it's a somewhat common code but I don't know what it's called--the letters consist of either 3 lines of a square or a V, with or without a dot inside. I know I've seen this code before; you form it by drawing 2 tic-tac-toe boards and 2 8-line starbursts, put a dot in 1 of each kind, and the letters go inside each space. I think I saw the 2 starburst parts of the key, but I have no idea where the tic-tac-toe parts are. I do want to solve the puzzle myself so I don't want to just Google for it. But does anyone know where the rest of the key is?

Rainstadt said:
Once you collect all of the codices and solve a simple puzzle, you get to pull off the final assassination. As a note for your tedium, the last mission isn't structured like any of the previous, so hopefully you enjoy it.

Make sure you stock up on medicine.

Top Bottom