• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

jett

D-Member
I don't like that DLC video. It almost seems like the content was already done and was taken out just to be sold as DLC.

aerofx

voltron said:
Probably a stupid question, but to be safe, after the final mission I can go back and all the other stuff right? (chests, races, assassinations etc)

yes but just make sure you get that one achievement that can't be backtracked. It's the one where you have to kick a man off the roof with da vinci's flying contraption.

The game froze on me twice today causing my ps3 to freeze and had to do a hard reset. Scares the crap out of me. Seems like the fans really rev up when playing this game compared to others.

Nelo Ice

Banned
this game is AMAZING

ive done every side mission, gotten every collectible available and im just now starting venice

also i just got this yesterday :lol

Minamu

This morning, I realized something. All these hours of playing this game & I never noticed that a picture on my wall, quite near my tv, is actually a modern day photo of the very same Rialto Bridge, located in Venice :lol Unless I found the wrong bridge in the game to show my parents (who didn't believe me of course), they look quite different, although there's probably a half millennia between the two. Still, kinda cool to finally make the connection xD

p131244-Venice-Rialto_Bridge.jpg

Surely, this is the same bridge as the one in the middle of the Venice map? Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any texts about it in the Database. I'm off to wikipedia :)

esbern

okay what the fuck is wrong with the people who wrote this game. this has happened like 3 times so far, and its driving me insane:they keep on adding to the story during action sequences.

for instance, i'm just learning how to do a bunch of fight moves with my uncle mario and he is telling me all about my father and how he is an assassin but at the same time i'm fucking fighting this guy and trying to do the tutorial, and then when i complete a particular part, the guy telling me about my dad just stops talking in the middle of a fucking sentence.

i barely know wtf is going on right now b/c of this stupid bullshit they keep on doing. if they do this all game i'm gonna get really frustrated.

farnham

Banned
i found it strange that macciaveli was an assassin

the historic macciaveli very fond of cesare borgia (the son of rodrigo borgia)

in his book il principe he praises cesare borgia for being one of the few people that could unite italy...
the game macciaveli is an assassin that fights against rodrigo and in the DLC it is rumored that he will fight against cesare...

also macciaveli had a very bad relationship with the medici which are depicted as the allies of the assassins in the game.. macciaveli was actually tortured by them and thrown out of florence..

Minamu

farnham said:
also macciaveli had a very bad relationship with the medici which are depicted as the allies of the assassins in the game.. macciaveli was actually tortured by them and thrown out of florence..
Yeah, the game actually mentions that in his database entry. I think it was after that ally in the game had died though.

Zaphyr said:
The Rialto bridge was actually a wooden bridge in the 15th century, making the game historically accurate.
You are quite right :)

I'm playing the PS3 version and just tried twice to load my saved game and it won't load. I get to the animus loading part where u run around waiting for it to load but nothing happens. Quitting the game results in the triple beep and the system rebooting.

WTF is this shit. I've had a few hard lock ups during gameplay too. Everytime I play this game i feel like there's a chance it's going to destroy my system somehow.

I deleted the gamedata and reinstalling It now to see if that helps but is there anything else I can do?

FIX THIS SHIT UBI!

Edit: deleting the game data fixed it. Now to beat the game before this shit happens again and corupts my save file.

This game is a buggy piece of shit. Hard lock ups galore. Or my PS3 is dying but it's not happening with any other games.

I'm at the final mission and I just want to finish this already.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It's pretty buggy for me too, PS3 version.

I've fell through the map twice and had a crash once. Played it for 5hrs so far.

Still, it's a pretty good game so that makes up for it I guess. Just annoying considering how spaced out some save points are.

Fyrus said:
It's pretty buggy for me too, PS3 version.

I've fell through the map twice and had a crash once. Played it for 5hrs so far.

Still, it's a pretty good game so that makes up for it I guess. Just annoying considering how spaced out some save points are.
It's an amazing game. Just totally being ruined for me by these crashes. I'm just praying I can get through this final mission without a crash causing my save game to be corrupted because i've read that happening to a few people already.

Edit: Finally finished. What a ride, glitches aside. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard. Ending was satisfying for me, not sure what the hate is with that. This game is packed with content. Still have a lot of side missions and feathers to collect.

brobban

Finished the game!

So much potential that's ruined by the controls.
Nothing more frustrating than chasing somebody on the streets and suddenly finding yourself hanging on the edge of a roof or a window.
Please Ubi, in the next game let me control the character, instead of this semi-automatic jumping where I'm not really certain on where I'll end up. Also, let me decide on how fast I want to let go of ledges. I understand that from an animation perspective it looks better as it is now, but still....

+Beautiful setting and graphics
+A lot of interesting information regarding buildings etc
+Economic system

-Controls (Especially when chasing somebody)
-Some technical issues (Tearing etc.. played on xbox360)
-The assassinations often end up with me going straight forward using brute force instead of finesse. Would love it if it were possible to be more stealthy (perhaps it's just me that's bad at it)

stolin

I just finished the game, 23 hours.

+ Setting & Atmosphere
+ World Detail, Cities feel alive
+ Character Dialog & Voices
+ Historical Information & Authenticity
= Would have liked more Assasin's Tombs
- Screen Tearing & Technical Issues
- Still too repeditive

Enjoyed it enough to now try and find the rest of the feathers for the Platinum Trophy..

brobban said:
+Beautiful setting and graphics
+A lot of interesting information regarding buildings etc
+Economic system

-Controls (Especially when chasing somebody)
-Some technical issues (Tearing etc.. played on xbox360)
-The assassinations often end up with me going straight forward using brute force instead of finesse. Would love it if it were possible to be more stealthy (perhaps it's just me that's bad at it)

Massively agree with these points and add a HUGE FUCK YOU to the Lock On controls... Controls are this games worst and best point at once. The building climbing & 'parkour' elements are really good, but when it comes down to chasing and tackling someone, and god forbid, LOCKING on them, the game falls into a heap of shit. Even when picking people or weapons up, it's just flat out unreliable.

And yeah, the lack of a feeling of true stealth kind of sucks. Sure you can do certain things like squash against a wall, or walk slowly, but they seem like you're only doing them for your own benefit and not gaining any edge by it.

People are squirting a bit too hard for this game for some reason, but it IS good, just not amazing. I think the historical recreation stuff is the most mindblowing part, pretty amazingly accurate in a lot of places.

naib

criesofthepast said:
The game froze on me twice today causing my ps3 to freeze and had to do a hard reset. Scares the crap out of me. Seems like the fans really rev up when playing this game compared to others.

I had the same issues on the PS3. Nuked the game data and re-installed data and patch. No freezes so far.. Been playing for a few hours.

Just wanted to say it seems that assassins creed 2 wasn't causing all the freezing on my ps3. It's happening with other games now too.

So, sorry ubisoft for blaming your game. :)

Althoran

Sorry to hear that criesofthepast. I finished the game on PS3 and had a few lock-ups but only about 4 during my 35 hours playtime. It was annoying but restarting the PS3 solved my problems.

voltron

Nice.

So the writers have drawn on the
UFO phenomenon and ideas that we (humans) were seeded by aliens.

I like where this is going. Fun ideas and concepts.

Beaulieu

TheMissingLink said:
Finished it, prefer the first.

The assassinations in this one were so underwhelming.

How can that even be possible ? ?

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions but sometime I just dont understand the way people think.

Halcyon

I loved this game, but looking back on it a few weeks of not playing it the reasons I liked it the most are:

1)Soundtrack
2)The fact that you could buy new armor, weapons, and dye jobs that would alter Ezio's appearance. For some reason I'm all over that type of stuff in games. Makes me feel that progression and transformation into a badass. I was giddy when I first stepped out
in all black altair armor-ninja style Ezio. That's the moment I was like Ah this dude is awesome

I thought the assassinations in AC2 were all really good. I managed to do most of them stealthily but even the public ones I thought fit the story well.

Kronotech

About 10 hours in. Loving it. Upgrading the villa is fun but is there more to upgrade in there other than the original list of options? I'm almost done and just barely got access to it...

Is it just me, or are there some treasures that are not there? I see them on the map and I'm standing right above them but they are nowhere to be found. Maybe I'm just a bad detective.

I'm loving all the visuals, the story so far, the treasure hunting and side-quests they added. Nice alternatives this time around.

Not liking the controls as much. Not much was fixed from the first one so I still take random jumps from the roof straight to a 30-foot drop.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You must not try to jump sideways when climbing, there is no such jump move. Otherwise you'll just leap back and fall.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Sup with some npcs running away from you, have a blue bar on their head, and dont have the pickpocket logo on them? I hurt one just for fun, he begged for his life and accidently i assassinated him :lol Took a HUGE hit on infamy.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Kronotech said:
Is it just me, or are there some treasures that are not there? I see them on the map and I'm standing right above them but they are nowhere to be found. Maybe I'm just a bad detective.

No guards near a door perhaps? Some treasures are inside the buildings.

Massa

voltron said:
Nice.

So the writers have drawn on the
UFO phenomenon and ideas that we (humans) were seeded by aliens.

I like where this is going. Fun ideas and concepts.

Well, I thought I read here Ubisoft said there are no
aliens in the Assassin's Creed universe.

voltron

Massa said:
Well, I thought I read here Ubisoft said there are no
aliens in the Assassin's Creed universe.

Hmmm.

Well maybe not, but it seems pretty clear that they are at least taking some cues from the subject matter I mentioned in my previous post.

Hyunkel6

Kronotech said:
About 10 hours in. Loving it. Upgrading the villa is fun but is there more to upgrade in there other than the original list of options? I'm almost done and just barely got access to it...

I'm loving all the visuals, the story so far, the treasure hunting and side-quests they added. Nice alternatives this time around.

Not liking the controls as much. Not much was fixed from the first one so I still take random jumps from the roof straight to a 30-foot drop.

Nope, there is no more things to upgrade besides the architect's original list. The "awesomeness and novelty" of the villa was very overhyped IMO. Basically, you just choose what you want to upgrade. There is no more to it. I thought we would have the options to at least micromanage basic resources or something.

And, for some of the treasures, you actually have to upgrade the villa to get access to them (the mines and the well for example).

Holtz

Fucking
Flying Machine
trophy. I missed it during my first playthrough since i didn't check the trophy list for fear of spoilers, and now i have to play the whole thing all over again just to get it. Why don't you let us play specific memories, Ubisoft? No platinum for me, i suppose.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Holtz said:
Fucking Flying Machine trophy. I missed it during my first playthrough since i didn't check the trophy list for fear of spoilers, and now i have to play the whole thing all over again just to get it. Why don't you let us play specific memories, Ubisoft? No platinum for me, i suppose.
One of the DLC packs will have a Flying Machine mission.

You could wait until then.

voltron

So has anyone managed to open that door at the Villa yet? The one where is says you need to do something in U-play.

Ive been assuming that Uplay just isnt ready yet.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
voltron said:
So has anyone managed to open that door at the Villa yet? The one where is says you need to do something in U-play.

Ive been assuming that Uplay just isnt ready yet.

uplay is ready. just go into the uplay menu from the main menu of the game :p

stolin

stolin said:
I just finished the game, 23 hours.

+ Setting & Atmosphere
+ World Detail, Cities feel alive
+ Character Dialog & Voices
+ Historical Information & Authenticity
= Would have liked more Assasin's Tombs
- Screen Tearing & Technical Issues
- Still too repeditive

Enjoyed it enough to now try and find the rest of the feathers for the Platinum Trophy..

Just got my Platinum Trophy.. Used a map to get the last feathers. 27 hours.

voltron

Stumpokapow said:
uplay is ready. just go into the uplay menu from the main menu of the game :p

Ive done that. But it feels FAR from complete and I certainly didnt find a way to unlock that door at the Villa.

Have you found a way?

Hyunkel6

voltron said:
Ive done that. But it feels FAR from complete and I certainly didnt find a way to unlock that door at the Villa.

Have you found a way?

Did you go to the "Redeem" or "Reward" tab? It's to the left of the "Profile" tab. I don't remember how it's called, but you basically just have to download the Auditore Crypt "DLC", using your uplay points, to get access to that part of the villa.

Oh yeah, and I think that you can access the crypt only after sequence 5.

voltron

Hyunkel6 said:
Did you go to the "Redeem" or "Reward" tab? It's to the left of the "Profile" tab. I don't remember how it's called, but you basically just have to download the Auditore Crypt "DLC", using your uplay points, to get access to that part of the villa.

Oh yeah, and I think that you can access the crypt only after sequence 5.

Thanks.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
finished the story today, loved the game overall. few frustrating moments but most games will have those, and they weren't that bad in fairness.

really excellent game design, very well paced, slows it down when it needs to and throws it at you at the right times in the right amounts.

highlights how poorly GTA IV was designed. In this I find rewards or meaningful/exciting things to do and see literally around every corner and it manages to retain a sense of location, like wow this really does feel like Venice however many years ago (even if its nothing like it). The designers understood how to strike the balance between recreating a location and adapting it for game exploration.

when told to tail someone or chase someone, you might screw up a lot, but you always felt like if you wanted to you could find a really clever route to use. towards the end of the game I knew for every mission there was an ideal route and I'd spend my time looking for it rather than doing hopeful jumps, I trusted the developers to look after me by that point, they'd never ask me to do something ridiculous or too frustrating. if you see 2 guards, you know for a fact that there will almost certainly be a way to double assassinate them to avoid detection, but if you're feeling lazy you can just rush in. if you see a group of guards, a bunch of followers wont be too far away to help you out.

the way the cities were slowly revealed to you was also amazingly well paced, both rewarding and enlightening. new parts would open at just the right time and I never felt overwhelmed by the massive world, something I suffer from a lot in games like this.

long post but it's been a long time since I saw such good game design, wanted to mention it. shame it had to end tbh.

p.s. how can they possibly top Italy in that era as a setting? Gotta be one of the most beautiful and interesting places in history. any ideas?

Frenck

Banned
kaizoku said:
finished the story today, loved the game overall. few frustrating moments but most games will have those, and they weren't that bad in fairness.

really excellent game design, very well paced, slows it down when it needs to and throws it at you at the right times in the right amounts.

highlights how poorly GTA IV was designed. In this I find rewards or meaningful/exciting things to do and see literally around every corner and it manages to retain a sense of location, like wow this really does feel like Venice however many years ago (even if its nothing like it). The designers understood how to strike the balance between recreating a location and adapting it for game exploration.

when told to tail someone or chase someone, you might screw up a lot, but you always felt like if you wanted to you could find a really clever route to use. towards the end of the game I knew for every mission there was an ideal route and I'd spend my time looking for it rather than doing hopeful jumps, I trusted the developers to look after me by that point, they'd never ask me to do something ridiculous or too frustrating. if you see 2 guards, you know for a fact that there will almost certainly be a way to double assassinate them to avoid detection, but if you're feeling lazy you can just rush in. if you see a group of guards, a bunch of followers wont be too far away to help you out.

the way the cities were slowly revealed to you was also amazingly well paced, both rewarding and enlightening. new parts would open at just the right time and I never felt overwhelmed by the massive world, something I suffer from a lot in games like this.

long post but it's been a long time since I saw such good game design, wanted to mention it. shame it had to end tbh.

p.s. how can they possibly top Italy in that era as a setting? Gotta be one of the most beautiful and interesting places in history. any ideas?

If they move forward in the timeline France or Austria would be prime candidates as far as architecture and political events are concerned.

conman

Frenck said:
If they move forward in the timeline France or Austria would be prime candidates as far as architecture and political events are concerned.
Speculation's all over the place. If there's one thing we fans learned from the first game, it's that these guesses will all be wrong. :D

But... if I did have to guess, I'd guess something that follows from the connecting thread between the Templars (of AC1) and the Italian families (of AC2). Banking. Templars are credited with creating one of the earliest exchange banking systems, and the Medicis of course came to power through their incredibly efficient banking practices. Basically: follow the money and you'll find the time and location for AC3.

Could it be the robber barons of the late 19th c. US and the railroad magnates of the frontier? European bankers of the 1910's and '20s? One of the New World colonies of the 17th century (for example, jumping between Spain and one of their colonies)?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I just did the first (second?)
Assassin Tomb.
WOW that was amazing.

Question though,
after collecting from the tomb I exited out the window, collected the treasures outside and the feather on the cross. Me being dumb, I went down the manual way after getting the cross-feather. That didn't end well, and I desynced. When it reloaded I was on the ground and all, and saw a bale of hay near the cross/church. Do I miss anything from dying rather than leaping other than the cool animation?

Massa

Fyrus said:
I just did the first (second?)
Assassin Tomb.
WOW that was amazing.

Question though,
after collecting from the tomb I exited out the window, collected the treasures outside and the feather on the cross. Me being dumb, I went down the manual way after getting the cross-feather. That didn't end well, and I desynced. When it reloaded I was on the ground and all, and saw a bale of hay near the cross/church. Do I miss anything from dying rather than leaping other than the cool animation?

You probably didn't miss anything, the checkpoints in this game are very generous.

Nearing the end and fatigue is setting in. Much better than AC1 but still problems.

Hard to tell when you're in combat mode sometimes. I'll be holding the block button thinking I'm locked on but still getting chopped up because I may have hit the button twice or something. There should be some visual cue when you're locked on and engaged, like a circle under the enemy.

HUD is aggravating. I want to see my health but I don't want that huge fucking array of squares in the corner. It's nice that we can turn stuff off but why not make it more minimal and unobtrusive to begin with?

Needing money to buy stuff is great, but they made it redundant in the long term because there aren't enough things to spend it on. Why not let us buy shops in the cities, or palaces, even? Make it like Fable, where you can buy everything. That would solve another annoyance, which is having to travel back to the villa to get discounts.

The filler missions really just feel like filler. Take a cue from GTA and have fleshed-out NPCs give you missions that aren't strictly racing/assassination/package delivery, etc... , make it feel like there are little side stories going on and I'd be much more likely to play through them all.

Top Bottom