• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

JCtheMC

infinityBCRT said:
Isn't it weird that Jade was taken off of AC2 and put in charge of a game which has to do with the impending 2012 world disaster? (which is also something thats hinted at happening in AC2) I'm starting to think that I Am Alive is going to be based in the Assassin's Creed universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ6Aely9YrQ

Its a crazy thought, but it would be cool if they did do that.

... If they went the direction of
2 franchises with intersecting stories
i think my mind wouldn't be able to process the awesome.

RedStep

JCtheMC said:
... If they went the direction of
2 franchises with intersecting stories
i think my mind wouldn't be able to process the awesome.

UBI's been known to do it. The Tom Clancy games often interconnect directly.

Such as GRAW2 Finale -
Being blown up by an airstrike.
HAWX Opening -
Delivering that airstrike.

so how many different DLC bonuses were there with this game? Will we eventually see these released for us poor plebes who got it for xmas?

Seems kind of silly to keep people from experiencing content, is all. I don't mind paying for it, and honestly I'm surprised they aren't already out!

I'm in Venice.

I've played for about 22 hours so far. I'm liking it a lot, but getting kind of burned out on it. Kinda wanna just plow through to the end. How long would that take from this point?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Some of the history connections in Ezio's story are pretty interesting. Been reading up on the story...

Until now, with the exception of another character, I thought Leonardo was the only real character. :lol Turns out families like the Medici and Pazzi were actually real and
the things that happened to them in the game were based on things that actually happened
Caterina Sforza was also a real person. There's probably more that I haven't read about either.

(ending spoilers/surprises in tags!) The one character that I kinda figured out was real was
Borgia
since
he became the Pope and I doubted they'd create a fake Pope for the story
. I kinda wish that the
final Vatican mission
would've taken place a few years later so we could
kill that scumbag without breaking the historical context. He was a really shitty person, and you can probably look up things about him. Child rape, incest, murder, kinda responsible for a lot of Native Americans dying, involvement in slave trading, extortion, etc. Seriously, even if Ezio didn't want to kill him for the sake of revenge, couldn't he justify killing him for all of that? :lol
Maybe they'll save that for DLC in
(ignore this filler text) Rome
after they release sequence 12/13. :lol

(I spoilered a lot of things that probably aren't very spoilery but they surprised me during my playthrough, and I don't want to ruin any potential surprises for anyone.)

Socreges

Banned
QUESTION

I've got some stuff for Leonardo to decode, but I can't find him on the map in Florence (i.e., the L doesn't appear). Is the game limiting when I can see him, can I find him without the map, or has he gone to another city?

SPEA

Beat it this weekend. Absolutely loved it.

I lovvvved the ending. I've always been a sucker for the "mind-fuck" ending if it's done well. The whole speech with her talking to Desmond through Ezio was a really nice touch.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Socreges said:
QUESTION

I've got some stuff for Leonardo to decode, but I can't find him on the map in Florence (i.e., the L doesn't appear). Is the game limiting when I can see him, can I find him without the map, or has he gone to another city?
He's in Venice.

black_13

Banned
Oneself said:
I'm at the beginning of the game and so far I like it. The original AC was a complete piece of crap and to my surprise, this one feels SO much better and I like it !!:D

What? I've just been playing for 3 hours and so far it plays EXACTLY like the first one with different setting/characters.
And so far, just like the first game all the missions are nothing but going from point A to point B all over. It's getting really repetitive.

I don't see a huge improvement, hope it gets better.

Mr. Sam

The catacombs are really well handled and can be genuinely challenging. So fucking satisfying when you get to the end. Can be annoying if you aim just in the wrong direction though.

black_13 said:
What? I've just been playing for 3 hours and so far it plays EXACTLY like the first one with different setting/characters.
And so far, just like the first game all the missions are nothing but going from point A to point B all over. It's getting really repetitive.

Are you doing the story missions (with the exclamation) or the side missions (beat people up, races, assassinations)? The side missions don't get better (they just keep respawning), but the story mission do get better IMO.

At the end of the day almost every mission in *every* game is point A to point B though (see: Batman, GTA4, Fallout, Mass Effect, etc. Uncharted and Gears of War are big fricken point A to point B games). There are assassination missions where it opens up and you have to locate your target and/or have some options in your way to approach the target, plus theres some special missions where you're doing something unique. Theres some light RPG elements that become part of the game you make it to the second city. And then theres also some puzzle solving involved once you start doing the truth stuff.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
When I finish the game can I still explore around and finish sidequests and get feathers?

Mr. Sam said:
The catacombs are really well handled and can be genuinely challenging. So fucking satisfying when you get to the end. Can be annoying if you aim just in the wrong direction though.
The one nitpick I have about the catacombs is they designed many of the simultaneous jumps to be non-linear so you can easily jump off in the wrong direction if you aren't careful since the camera angle is changing while you are free running. They should have probably added some "auto-aim" to the jumps in this section of the game because they know exactly where you want to jump (towards the path that leads to the seal) whereas when you're freerunning out in the open its good that there is very little auto-aim so that you don't get stuck on ledges you don't want to go to.

Pewp

Really? You're going to force me to collect 30 of something to continue the game? Should of made it clearer that these were important, now it's just a hassle.

Miburou

I was really interested in collecting and decoding the codex that when I reached a point where I had to have collected all of them to continue, I was only missing a couple. They're so easy to get anyway; hire courtesans, unleash on guard, enter building, rinse, repeat.

Regarding the catacombs, I think if they made the controls any more automated, it would probably cease being a game anymore. :lol Besides, the time limit was enough for me to fall off twice, get back on track and still make it for most challenges.

Tomasooie

Pewp said:
Really? You're going to force me to collect 30 of something to continue the game? Should of made it clearer that these were important, now it's just a hassle.
When you first encounter the wall in the villa, it clearly says you'll need to collect them all to unlock your final memories.

GAF, This games story is great. You're confusing the two stories, who cares about Ezio's story, aside from the fact that you need revenge on
the Spaniard

What happens and what desmond's team discovers is far more important. The Italian lore and story isn't the issue, it's the modern templar V Assassin story that is the issue.

Pewp

Tomasooie said:
When you first encounter the wall in the villa, it clearly says you'll need to collect them all to unlock your final memories.

I guess I didn't pick up on the cue. Oh well, It really wasn't that much of a pain to do anyway.

Mr. Sam

Pewp said:
I guess I didn't pick up on the cue. Oh well, It really wasn't that much of a pain to do anyway.

Codex pages? Slaughtering guards is one of the many pleasures of this game. Hire a distraction? No thank you - I'm doing this the old fashioned way.

Socreges

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Oh. I just kill those fuckers :D
Same. I assassinate all three in the span of a few seconds. So fucking cool. This, after once trying to battle all of them with my sword and invariably dragging more guards into it.

Really, really loving this game. I'm not very far in, but I'm already
pumping serious money into the town. I've renovated everything with the exception of maybe two level 3s. Love how the city is jack full of people now.

Pewp said:
Maybe it wasn't clear enough but when Mario shows the codex room to you it says that you need to collect them to unlock your final memories.

Anth0ny

So...anyone else playing with Italian audio? It sounds freaking awesome. I find the semi-Italian/English with Italian accent audio annoying.

Maybe it's because I'm Italian :lol

Massa

FishSquared said:
GAF, This games story is great. You're confusing the two stories, who cares about Ezio's story, aside from the fact that you need revenge on
the Spaniard

What happens and what desmond's team discovers is far more important. The Italian lore and story isn't the issue, it's the modern templar V Assassin story that is the issue.

Well, I thought Ezio's story had potential to be interesting. On the other hand I already knew after AC1 that I didn't care at all about "Desmond's" story.

After AC2 and specially its ending I went from not caring to being actually turned off but all that shit.

dorkimoe

Question

How do you get back to the glyph menu, i have one that i didnt finish, and i accidently closed it now i cant figure out how to get back into it, without going to find a new one

nvm got it

Socreges

Banned
Anth0ny said:
So...anyone else playing with Italian audio? It sounds freaking awesome. I find the semi-Italian/English with Italian accent audio annoying.

Maybe it's because I'm Italian :lol
I'm playing with Spanish audio since I'm learning the language. Not quite Italian obviously, but much better than English.

infinityBCRT said:
Isn't it weird that Jade was taken off of AC2 and put in charge of a game which has to do with the impending 2012 world disaster? (which is also something thats hinted at happening in AC2) I'm starting to think that I Am Alive is going to be based in the Assassin's Creed universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ6Aely9YrQ

Its a crazy thought, but it would be cool if they did do that.

That would be awesome. The protagnis...proganist...prshnish is even called Adam.

Scarecrow

conman said:
Yeah, they're fun (except for earlier today when I got into a treadmil of running after the same guy for a good 10 minutes). I didn't know if they at affected achievements or anything. I've got a deadline to beat this thing before school starts.

Socreges

Banned
With respect to getting 100% completion, I don't see any way I'd make the effort of collecting every feather. If I see one, I'm sure to go after it. But if I complete everything in the game, but have 23 or even 2 feathers remaining, fuck it. I'm sure there's no reward for getting everything in its entirety and God knows where these feathers would be tucked away since I'm pretty fucking thorough as it is.

What drives you guys to do it?

Concept17

Socreges said:
With respect to getting 100% completion, I don't see any way I'd make the effort of collecting every feather. If I see one, I'm sure to go after it. But if I complete everything in the game, but have 23 or even 2 feathers remaining, fuck it. I'm sure there's no reward for getting everything in its entirety and God knows where these feathers would be tucked away since I'm pretty fucking thorough as it is.

What drives you guys to do it?

Platinum. Can use a guide too btw, and just go from one district to the next - might take you an hour.

Korey

black_13 said:

Trust me, I had the same opinion after my first play session, but after the prologue, the game starts opening up and the awesome begins.

Styles

So. Addicting. So. Fun.So. Easy. Looks like AC2 will be the first game that I'll be getting a platinum trophy for.

My main complaint would be the controls. Irritating sometimes.

That's how you make grass(aimed at a certain RPG)!

Is it possible to miss any feathers and be able to get them later?

Also do the assassination missions ever run out or do more always pop up?

bumpkin

kyo_daikun said:
Is it possible to miss any feathers and be able to get them later?

Also do the assassination missions ever run out or do more always pop up?
Both have been answered earlier in the thread; the first one on this page, even. But I don't like being a douchebag. The answers are a) yes, you can go back to get feathers you missed and b) no, they eventually run out.

bumpkin said:
Both have been answered earlier in the thread; the first one on this page, even. But I don't like being a douchebag. The answers are a) yes, you can go back to get feathers you missed and b) no, they eventually run out.

Cheers, I did see that answer but thought I would double check there isnt any specific ones you could never get back to.

Miburou said:
I was really interested in collecting and decoding the codex that when I reached a point where I had to have collected all of them to continue, I was only missing a couple. They're so easy to get anyway; hire courtesans, unleash on guard, enter building, rinse, repeat.

Naw, throw money, loot building, walk out and BAM out comes the double blades :lol

Kenaras

Finished this last night. The game was starting to slow down during Venice, but damn, Ubisoft nailed the finale. One of the best endings ever.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I'm missing one codex page, but I've done every tower in Venice, Forli, Florence, and Tuscany. I can't see any more in those areas. Is there a final area with the final codex page? Or is there a codex page in the countryside?

K2Valor said:
I'm missing one codex page, but I've done every tower in Venice, Forli, Florence, and Tuscany. I can't see any more in those areas. Is there a final area with the final codex page? Or is there a codex page in the countryside?
If you have 60/66 viewpoints theres still one area of
Venice
left to be unlocked.

Vect said:
That's how you make grass(aimed at a certain RPG)!
How about aimed at almost every single fricken game out there?

It really is insane how good the texture/image quality in this game is when you look at other open world games (GTA4, Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins) and even not-really open world games (like Mass Effect, Halo 3).

Pezking

Finished the game today.

Took me 14,5 hours.

While I enjoyed my time with the game, I didn't think it was that great.

I liked the first one despite all the criticism, and I like AC2 as well. But overall, I really don't think the sequel is significantly better than the original game.

The graphics are about as good as in AC1. There's still tearing, and pop-ups still happen all the time. Other than that, AC2 looks great.

The controls still have their own problems as well. Climbing on top of tall buildings tend to feel like playing with autopilot activated, but that's ok since Ezio is an All-Star-Assassin and shouldn't have any problems with that whatsoever.

Unfortunately, while walking through the streets, you happen to unintentionally stick to the next wall automatically quite often. And climbing down buildings fast can be a hassle, too. Only too often you automatically grab every ledge or roof possible and waste precious time while chasing some courier or any other potential victim.

The battle system isn't that great as well. On the first look, it seems to have quite some depth to it, but while playing, you soon discover that you can win every battle extremely easy by just doing endless grab-kill-grab-kill-combos, with the occasional smoke bomb in between.

The actual assassinations are quite disappointing. You just crash every party while being chased by dozens of guards, and jump at the victim's throat as soon as possible. Then it's time for the obligatory chitchat with the dying sucker, and that's it. Most of the time, all the guards magically disappear. No need for a nervewrecking escape. And if you actually do have to escape by yourself, it's never a noteworthy problem, as all the guards are slow as fuck and easy to beat.

I don't think AC2 offers that much more variety that AC1. Sure, there's the
poor man's Sim City, the tombs you can raid
and so on, but that's all optional, so the core game remains to be quite simple.

But that's fine with me, as I had no problem with this in AC1. A game that can be beat in under 15 hours doesn't need a shitload of variety IMO.

What I did like is the more linear mission structure, and how the assassinations are better woven into the main plot.

What drove me nuts on the other hand was the need to find every single
fucking codex page
right before the end of the game.

I had to collect 12 of these things to continue with the story. So I visited every fucking city again, hired a dozen quartets of hookers, and send them to a dozen quartets of guards while raiding 12 houses that looked exactly alike.

Now that was an exciting hour of gaming...

Regarding the story, let me tell you first that I'm quite interested in many historic subjects. The italian renaissance wasn't one of them - until now. So AC2 did a great job in bringing this era back to life and making it interesting.

I really liked all the intrigues, the backstorys of all the characters, Ryo Hazuk...eeh, I mean Ezio's development from a flighty youth to a bitter adult seeking revenge for the
death of his father
, all the companions Ezio met - that was really some entertainig stuff!

In contrast to this, I detest the entire cast of the present time. After 2 games and 30 hours of gameplay, you know almost nothing about Desmond and friends. They completely lack any sort of character and still seem to be total strangers to the player.

I'm really having a hard time caring about what happens to that present time bunch.

Altair and Ezio are both much better developed characters that you can actually watch growing, learning and changing. You care about these guys.

And it's a shame that you can't kill
Sean
. What a prick.

I think that whole SciFi-Matrix-Dan-Brown-esque backstory is quite boring as well. I can't help but feel like the developers have no idea at all where the story could be heading. Right now, it seems like a convoluted trainwreck of a story.

Regarding the
first civilization and the appearance of Minerva
, I think the writers missed a big chance: I loved it when
she started to ignore Ezio and began to look at me, the player.
I hoped they would dare to
crush the forth wall completely and make this the best postmodern video game-story since MGS2.

Unfortunately, it turned out
that she was addressing boring old Desmond.
What a shame.

Well, overall I enjoyed AC2, just like AC1, and I'm already looking forwart to part 3.

It's a good, solid game that takes place in a breathtaking world, but suffers from a lack of substance.

A good game, very entertaining, but IMO definitely no GOTY-material.

Top Bottom