• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Minamu

Gribbix said:
Yep, the binary at the end of the video spells EDEN.
Well, that seemed obvious, really. Thanks :)

JodyAnthony said:
there's just one assassination contract that I can't for the life of me get through, when you have to
assassinate four(?) soldiers without being seen. the best I've been able to do so far is get rid of two of them.
Hidden blade in the back worked fine for me after a few tries. If we're talking about the same mission :S It's in one of the minor towns right? One dude is on top of a tower?

Hyunkel6

Just got the game. Can't wait to play it
in 2-3 weeks when finals are over. :(
Some questions: 1. Is the enemy AI one of the things that got improved (IMO, that was the major drawback of the 1st game)? 2. How long is the game for someone who plans to do every side mission and explore every nook and cranny?

I absolutely hated AC I. Like, 3 out of 10 hated. It was sheer and utter crap. I played it a month ago for the first time. I can understand the reviews getting inflated. It was a long time ago. It was a ginormous title. Next Gen production values on the level we are seeing in most major releases today just weren't all that frequent then (including stuff like menus, load times, control responsiveness, UI, dialogue, cutscenes).

That said, go buy AC II this second. It may be one of the great games of the generation. It's a swash-buckling adventure filled with history, kind of like that recent Count of Monte Cristo movie. It seems to hit some of the same notes.

Mastperf

Just finished the game and I'm calling it my game of the year. The detail and scale of the environments are unmatched. This title puts to rest the notion that 3rd party titles can't compare with platform exclusives. The game is every bit as technically and visually impressive as any other on consoles.
I can't imagine the time it took to do some of the texture work in this game...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just bought AC2 today (360), I've put in about 4 or 5 hours. It's really good, I enjoyed the first game but the sequel is so improved and so packed full of content, very impressive so far.

Funny line early on:
"It's-a-me! Mario!"
. I rolled my eyes, but it was amusing.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I need help with the basilica di san marco assassin tomb. First, do you need to do all 4 puzzles or only certain ones? If you need to do all four I could probably spend an hour or so trying to figure out where to jump... or... is there a guide? I figured out how to do the north or south one, depending upon which way you're facing.

edit: never mind i figured it out

Xevren

You have to do them all, they really aren't that hard. Just watch the camera as you activate the plate. They're pretty short. No idea if any guides exist for it.

Mik2121

DeathNote said:
I need help with the basilica di san marco assassin tomb. First, do you need to do all 4 puzzles or only certain ones? If you need to do all four I could probably spend an hour or so trying to figure out where to jump... or... is there a guide? I figured out how to do the north or south one, depending upon which way you're facing.

Yep, you need to do them all. But when you first press the button, the camera pans around the path you should follow. Just remember it, and it should be kinda easy (it took me a while too, hahah).

Ranger X

Grimm Fandango said:
Decided to make a GIF of my favorite way to dispatch of unsuspecting enemies and people I'm chasing. Click the GIF for the video.

Oh yeah, the Ground Tackle ;)
That move is really cool. You should have seen the reactions in the office the first time we showed it to people! Great times.

Have to say the ending of the game was great, even the credits didn't disappoint... though honestly the game ended abruptly I was expecting more, but I guess it's
clearly a set up for AC3

Have all of the trophies except for the PITA feathers one, and for some reason I can never get the no hitter one... even though near the end I was positive I killed more than 10 guys before getting hit on multiple occasions. :(

I don't suppose there is any way to get the feathers to show on the map... ugh, even Infamous let you "ping" the locations of those shards.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well I gave in and picked up the 360 version when I saw a store selling the Asian version of the game for cheap. I just put in 2 hours and the game has been absolutely fantastic so far. I just did my first story assassination mission so I am not very far at all yet, but I can already tell there is going to be a ton to do in this game. With every new mission new layers just keep piling on.

I was a huge fan of the first one, but AC2 is just so much better. I still really like the Crusades setting of the first one, though. Anyway, off to play some more!

Spaulding

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Have to say the ending of the game was great, even the credits didn't disappoint... though honestly the game ended abruptly I was expecting more, but I guess it's
clearly a set up for AC3

Have all of the trophies except for the PITA feathers one, and for some reason I can never get the no hitter one... even though near the end I was positive I killed more than 10 guys before getting hit on multiple occasions. :(

I don't suppose there is any way to get the feathers to show on the map... ugh, even Infamous let you "ping" the locations of those shards.

The "no hitter" trophy was quite easy. I got it in the mission where you have to
kill that monk. Just before you receive the smoke bombs
. Just use one of them and you're all set.

As for the feathers: Unfortunately there's no way to see them on the map. At least you can check the DNA menu to see in which district you're still missing some. If you can't find them you should probably use a guide.

Ripclawe

Banned
hated AC and I love AC2. The detail, ease of combat and even the siming of the villa to bring back to life is easy enough to enjoy. The only complaint I would have are camera angles at times are iffy and those special jumps where you regularly can't do it but in certain spots you can.

The jump for the assassin tomb in the church in Florence where I spent a good 10 mins saying no way I can make this jump and then hell with it I tried it and up pops the special auto camera angle as you jump

I spent waaay too much time working on the economy. I don't think I need to worry about treasure hunts anymore and I haven't even got to Venice yet :( Start of memory 6 maybe? and I have all the shops at level 3, bought all the pictures I could, all the armor and weapons possible, re contrustion on all places, and anything else possible.

The tombs are awesome platforming. Loving this game. Easily the surprise hit of the year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone please give me tips to take on those heavily armored guys who're carrying spears ? I can't seem to fight them without getting hit a ridiculous amount of times :(

chandoog said:
Can someone please give me tips to take on those heavily armored guys who're carrying spears ? I can't seem to fight them without getting hit a ridiculous amount of times :(

I always carry Smoke Bombs, so I usually just do Smoke/Stab combo

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
chandoog said:

Whenever you see a guy with a giant weapon, switch to fists. You can disarm much easier than you can counter.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
chandoog said:

I fight them unarmed. WHen they attack, press X to disarm him and reverse that shit.

Finished it, having loved Ass1 for all of its faults, and having looked forward to this for ages. I thought it was amazing but laborious as all heck towards the end: the last two hours, maybe, I really did just want it to end. (In fact, that coincided with me unlocking all the Truth videos, I think.) I enjoyed the final bit - great ending etc - but still ended up being slightly too repetitive to be my GOTY.

Would buy the sequel in a heartbeat though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DeathNote said:
what happens when you finish the codex wall? i heard music, nothing more.
it's story related, you'll know when it's relevant

Prine

Banned
I only wish the combat had far bigger consequences. I want Ezio health bar to significantly decrease after an attack, rather than lose half a block. Its the only aspect holding AC2 back imo.

Mana Sin

I just woke up from a strange dream. I was playing an AC/RE crossover. There were giant zombie beasts roaming the city and as you tried to survive the fires and smaller zombies running about you had to find glyphs to find ways explain/end the madness. zombies can hide just about anywhere and there are times you can only escape by jumping out a window and free-running to another area.

I don't know why I dreamed of this... In the dream I went into some guys apartment, I killed his zombified form. I searched his apartment for the symbols, but couldn't find it in the main room. Searching in his hallway (big apartment..) a bunch of zombies appear behind me and in front of me. (some jumped out of a closet I passed, others just ran around the corner ahead of me) The only option was A) Try and fight and waste precious ammunition or B) Find a way to get my ass out of there.

I went with B. I rammed the nearest door revealing a bathroom with a window and... the symbol I had been looking for! So what do I do? Do I jump out the window to the nearby rooftop or do I attempt to decrypt the odd symbols on the mirror? (apparently the glyphs happened in real-time in this dream-game) Very ah... intense? Perhaps it's more a silent hill cross over.. /dribble-drabble

I still have over 50 feathers to collect, and over a hundred treasure chests in Venice alone.

Tonza

Finished the game yesterday with 1000/1000 achievement points. First game for me where I get every achievement/trophy. The game is really, really good. I can't wait for the sequel.

I really love the music in the game too. The Venice rooftops music is so awesome. Need to check where I could buy the OST.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Tonza said:
Finished the game yesterday with 1000/1000 achievement points. First game for me where I get every achievement/trophy. The game is really, really good. I can't wait for the sequel.

I really love the music in the game too. The Venice rooftops music is so awesome. Need to check where I could buy the OST.

the soundtrack is really good, but also REALLY weird. it almost at times sounds like a throwback soundtrack to an old conspiracy/spy movie from the 70s. i'm not crazy am i? i'm trying to come up with the word to describe it, but it's got some synth or something, not unlike MASS EFFECT. . .

Fuck the feathers. But here's a nifty guide if you want to bother.

I'm 8 hours in and they're still adding a bunch of mechanics and stuff to it. I'm genuinely surprised. Feels like I'm playing Fable II now what with running around
buying upgrades for my villa
and all.

MMaRsu said:
No it was just some dude in a joker getup doing acrobatic shit on the street man o_O
Oh wow. You should still run into him and see what happens.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
beelzebozo said:
the soundtrack is really good, but also REALLY weird. it almost at times sounds like a throwback soundtrack to an old conspiracy/spy movie from the 70s. i'm not crazy am i? i'm trying to come up with the word to describe it, but it's got some synth or something, not unlike MASS EFFECT. . .

reminds me a little of a less spacey more industrial-ey vangelis, which might be the same thing you're picking up on when you compare it to mass effect.

kaskade

I finally managed No-Hitter and Sweeper achievements last nice. The only none collectable stuff achievement I have is the 5000 spent on the courtesans. First game I'm actually going out of my way to get 1000/1000 for in a long while.

Ranger X

DoctorWho said:
How long is it taking most of you to finish this game? After playing through most of the first city I'm already 6 hours in.

This is a 20+ game unless you're rushing through or really doing nothing extra.

Turfster

DoctorWho said:
How long is it taking most of you to finish this game? After playing through most of the first city I'm already 6 hours in.
I'm at 14 hours in and I'm about 2/3rds through (at least, I think so, I'm at
the masquerade
)
I'm having a blast exploring and am completing all kinds of side-stuff tho.

Don

Has there been much talk about what kind of DLC they might release for this?

I know they said that the content from the collector editions would be released at some point, but after finishing the game I really hope that they release
sections 12 and 13
as DLC. Also did anyone else find it weird that
Romagna - Forli felt kind of ignored when it came to story missions. You pass through on the way to Venice, and I kept expecting that you would go back there after Venice was finished, but you never do. I ended up not even exploring that city until just before the final memory section, but everything there was entirely optional. I was kind of hoping to see more of Catarina.

Another thing I noticed in the DNA is that when you complete most sections the grey diamond shape above will be filled in, but for me the secret locations, races, beat-up missions etc are still unfilled even though I have completed all of the ones listed. Is this another hint towards more of those missions being added in DLC?

Sorry if most of this has been discussed already.

kaskade

Ether_Snake said:
How do I put
Altair's armor
back on?
Go to your villa. In your nice little house there's a room on your left with all of the purchased weapons and armor. It's in there.

BeeDog

Alright, dunno how much I've played and how far I am (if anyone could give me an estimate, that'd be swell), but I just unlocked the option to purchase/add shops and stuff to my villa and the surrounding village. Awesome game so far!

LiveWire

How do I open the Codex boxes? I had the cutscene explaining what the codex is, and was told to find 4 pages in the villa. But I can't access the boxes, they just sit there shimmering.

Does anyone know how I change capes back? I'm bored with the Medici one, looks like Ezio is wearing an ad for Domino's Pizza. Sorry if this is screamingly obvious, but I just can't see how.

Ridley327

Press Start and go into your inventory. Go to outfits and you'll see the different capes that you have. Press X/Square on which cape you want to wear and voila.

X26

Banned
Prine said:
I only wish the combat had far bigger consequences. I want Ezio health bar to significantly decrease after an attack, rather than lose half a block. Its the only aspect holding AC2 back imo.

It's a shame because the combat isn't bad and a lot of fun when the guards put up a fight and you're trading blocks, parry's, etc.. Would have loved to see a hard mode or something where the guards aren't such pushovers

Itchy//Tasty said:
Does anyone know how I change capes back? I'm bored with the Medici one, looks like Ezio is wearing an ad for Domino's Pizza. Sorry if this is screamingly obvious, but I just can't see how.

start -> inventory -> outfit

Thanks Ridley, you've gotta be one of the most helpful members on this board. Serves me right for not actually using the start menu, save for the map (and the Truth). :D

Top Bottom