• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

Regarding New Orleans size:

j5MR3.jpg

xuVJ9.jpg

BUi0o.jpg

sUYxg.jpg

58d5P.jpg

cvnHH.jpg

Cjxql.jpg

There's a bit more of space under that, so far I'd say I've seen 30% of the city.

Yeees.

There's other locations too judging by the OST

Tobor

This is 18th century too. It's not like the streets SHOULD be bustling with people. There wasn't the same population density as it was.

Oh come on. There's no need to defend this. The number of NPCs is lower than the consoles for obvious reasons. It's the limitation of the hardware.

It doesn't bother me in the least that there are less, but lets be honest about it.

VanWinkle

Oh come on. There's no need to defend this. The number of NPCs is lower than the consoles for obvious reasons. It's the limitation of the hardware.

It doesn't bother me in the least that there are less, but lets be honest about it.

I agree with you, but the question should be "Are there enough NPCs to make the world look sufficiently alive?" to which I think the answer is definitely yes from what we've seen.

garath

Has a developer come out and said that? It very well could be true.

Regardless of that, I was replying to the comment "not nearly enough". To me it fits the era. It IS enough for the population density of the 18th century.

The morning it comes out most likely.

Well I have it on pre-order so I guess I'll just hope it's good. Impressions here seem very positive but I'd be surprised if it didn't have reviews out before release date to drum up some extra hype, assuming it gets good scores.

Dantis

Whilst the Vita is less visually impressive than I'd first hoped, it's seriously impressive still. Leaps and bounds ahead of anything on the 3DS.

Very excited for next Wednesday.

Midou

Whilst the Vita is less visually impressive than I'd first hoped, it's seriously impressive still. Leaps and bounds ahead of anything on the 3DS.

Everything looks quite a bit better on the actual screen too. A lot less jaggies.

garath

I'm not an urban expert or anything, but I found this: http://www.demographia.com/db-nyuza1800.htm

Not as many people, but cities were smaller. No, if anything cities were denser back then. Remember, back then your main mode of transportation was your feet.

Not to split hairs but 18th century != 1800s. The 1700s were the 18th century. The 19th century (the 1800s you referenced) was the start of the industrial revolution and had a big population boom. Prior to that the cities were much smaller.

By 1700 New York had a population of almost 5,000 and it continued to grow rapidly. By 1776 the population was about 25,000. In 1800 New York City had about 60,000 inhabitants.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What is it with the severe trilinear filtering artifacts present in some Vita games? Most consoles games don't bother with AF but this looks MUCH more aggressive than most games released these days. They would have been better off skipping mip-maps altogether (at least on the ground textures).

4CGay.jpg

I'm not an urban expert or anything, but I found this: http://www.demographia.com/db-nyuza1800.htm

Not as many people, but cities were smaller. No, if anything cities were denser back then. Remember, back then your main mode of transportation was your feet.

I can't think of a single month of the year down here I'd want to be out walking in 18th century clothes either. If anything, my complaint would be that those actually on the street aren't carrying parasols and fans. :p

B.O.O.M

We are arguing about historical figures on population? :D GAF sure takes discussions in some interesting directions, that's for sure

Carl

What is it with the severe trilinear filtering artifacts present in some Vita games? Most consoles games don't bother with AF but this looks MUCH more aggressive than most games released these days. They would have been better off skipping mip-maps altogether (at least on the ground textures).

http://i.imgur.com/4CGay.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Read that paragraph and looked at the shot about 10 times and i still don't know what you're talking about.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Read that paragraph and looked at the shot about 10 times and i still don't know what you're talking about.
Look at the wood boards/rock wall (I dunno what it is) the character is standing on. As they move away from the camera they become a soupy, blurry mess.

Carl

Look at the wood boards/rock wall (I dunno what it is) the character is standing on. As they move away from the camera they become a soupy, blurry mess.

Oh i see. The fact that you had to point that out on a static screenshot makes me think i probably (definitely) won't notice that while actually playing though :p

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Sigh. Fuck. Looks like I'll be buying this next week...

Those screenshots did me in, and I know it will look glorious on the Vita screen.

demolitio

We're still under a year after launch so I'm not writing its power off yet just like any other hardware soon after launch. If this game is any indication though, we now all know that console-like games that are huge are very possible so it's going to be harder to give excuses to other devs that take the easy way out.

I just hope this revitalizes the damn handheld. Yea, pun wasn't intended there.

I think the best is yet to come and once we see the next wave of Sony games for the Vita, that's when we'll finally get our answers about the power.

OmegaZero

Wait... So there is no versus multiplayer per se? I'm confused...

It seems like that MGS PeaceWalker thing where you could send your troops on missions, but you have more control over what to do with those troops.

The way it's worded makes it seem like there's something that we're missing. Maybe you take control of troops in Victory Nodes directly in order to capture them and fend off enemies.

I have no idea though.

EDIT: It does mention "factions" winning a "round", so it must be versus multiplayer, but until we see it in action, I have no idea what it'll be like.
It doesn't mention specific controls, so I'm assuming the controls are similar to story mode, which means there must be something resembling AC3's multiplayer somewhere in there. Then again, maybe it's so simple to use that there's no need to mention the controls.

Dunan

btw, you're one of the several people on GAF that I blame for getting me into the series by pushing me to play AC2. :p

Ah, but in retrospect it was a push you wanted and needed! AC2 is un capolavoro and is by far my favorite PS3 purchase. GOTG... unless this one surpasses it!

(Edit: Valkyria Chronicles is a very close second!)

It seems like that MGS PeaceWalker thing where you could send your troops on missions, but you have more control over what to do with those troops.

The way it's worded makes it seem like there's something that we're missing. Maybe you take control of troops in Victory Nodes directly in order to capture them and fend off enemies.

I have no idea though.

I'm actually down for an asynchronous multiplayer mode. Straight versus, like the console version, wouldn't be ideal for Vita.

whitehawk

Banned
I read elsewhere.. that the Framerate is something like 20-25 fps,..
I've played the game, and this rings true. At least for when you get into battles. Framerate will probably be similar to Uncharted. 30fps when you are just running around, 25fps when you are in battle.

demolitio

I'm actually down for an asynchronous multiplayer mode. Straight versus, like the console version, wouldn't be ideal for Vita.

Yea, I hope they take the MP out PSB:AS too since competitive MP somehow isn't ideal for a handheld. :p Just because it's a handheld doesn't mean people can't handle a 10 minute game. If anything, the short AC MP would be perfect for it since it doesn't take long to play a match. The Vita handles MP quite well and I wouldn't say it's not ideal.

Like asynchronous if you will, but saying the MP wouldn't be ideal for the Vita is a little weird since plenty of other games prove it can handle it well. You're not going to play 5 minutes of SP and then stop all the time. There's nothing different about that with MP unless you want asynchronous for the 3G usage.

The old handheld ideas philosophies shouldn't apply anymore. This is a time where handheld's SHOULD have MP because it's possible. If they want to go that route, it's fine, but they definitely should have spoke up sooner.

DBT85

Game looks good, at least they seem to have got the UI in native res even if the game itself isn't. That annoyed me about the Min Golf screens where EVERYTHING looked blurry.

Look forward to playing!

Top Bottom