• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

Pimpbaa

What's the deal with sub-native resolution in most vita games? This isn't an issue with mobile devices with similar or worse hardware. The few games on my tegra 3 andoid tablet that actually take advantage of it have better textures (and filtering) and run at 1280x800. And the tegra 3 is a POS. Plus the ram is slower in mobile devices. On top of that you have all the android os overhead and other apps running in the background. Is there some kind of weird bottleneck in the Vita hardware? I was hoping it would have been all sorted by now. Very fustrating, but I'm still gonna pick up the ACIII vita bundle next week.

lvclix

Banned
There's no way this game doesn't eventually make its way over to PS3 via PSN or as part of some AC:III collection blue ray.

kerrak

What's the deal with sub-native resolution in most vita games? This isn't an issue with mobile devices with similar or worse hardware. The few games on my tegra 3 andoid tablet that actually take advantage of it have better textures (and filtering) and run at 1280x800. And the tegra 3 is a POS. Plus the ram is slower in mobile devices. On top of that you have all the android os overhead and other apps running in the background. Is there some kind of weird bottleneck in the Vita hardware? I was hoping it would have been all sorted by now. Very fustrating, but I'm still gonna pick up the ACIII vita bundle next week.
There's lots going on in ac3l. What android games are you using as a benchmark?

Yea, I hope they take the MP out PSB:AS too since competitive MP somehow isn't ideal for a handheld. :p Just because it's a handheld doesn't mean people can't handle a 10 minute game. If anything, the short AC MP would be perfect for it since it doesn't take long to play a match. The Vita handles MP quite well and I wouldn't say it's not ideal.

Like asynchronous if you will, but saying the MP wouldn't be ideal for the Vita is a little weird since plenty of other games prove it can handle it well. You're not going to play 5 minutes of SP and then stop all the time. There's nothing different about that with MP unless you want asynchronous for the 3G usage.

The old handheld ideas philosophies shouldn't apply anymore. This is a time where handheld's SHOULD have MP because it's possible. If they want to go that route, it's fine, but they definitely should have spoke up sooner.

Sorry, I must have inadvertently struck a nerve.

I fully support "full" MP in handheld games. PS All-Stars pulls it off fantastically, Resistance BS worked well when you could connect to a game and I'm sure NFS:MW will be still awesome with four cars.

But I was speaking specifically to AC's multiplayer from both Brotherhood and Revelations. Both games had very robust MP systems with six or more players. The "hunter" mode where you tried to assassinate another player and used crowds to blend in was really cool. I'm not sure the Vita could pull that off without the devs shoe-horning it in and downgrading the experience. If they don't have the time to do MP justice for Vita, I'd rather see some sort of asynchronous mode that is still fun and competitive.

There's no way this game doesn't eventually make its way over to PS3 via PSN or as part of some AC:III collection blue ray.

This sounds like borderline port begging.

Hopefully it remains a Vita exclusive. That would be awful if it made its way over to PS3.

My thoughts exactly. Vita needs exclusive support. The hardware has all the tools it needs to support full features games. It's just a question of a developer taking the time the master the hardware's capabilities.

I'd like to believe that the GoW Origin games were ported to PS3 from PSP because the PSP hardware lacked the tools to fully emulate the console games. Namely a second analog stick and visual quality.

AC3:L is arguably a first generation Vita game. I hope the Vita audience continues to grow so we can see what second and third generation games look like.

demolitio

I fully support "full" MP in handheld games. PS All-Stars pulls it off fantastically, Resistance BS worked well when you could connect to a game and I'm sure NFS:MW will be still awesome with four cars.

But I was speaking specifically to AC's multiplayer from both Brotherhood and Revelations. Both games had very robust MP systems with six or more players. The "hunter" mode where you tried to assassinate another player and used crowds to blend in was really cool. I'm not sure the Vita could pull that off without the devs shoe-horning it in and downgrading the experience. If they don't have the time to do MP justice for Vita, I'd rather see some sort of asynchronous mode that is still fun and competitive.

This sounds like borderline port begging.

You didn't strike any nerve but the belief that MP has to be downgraded on a handheld is crazy when the MP isn't overly complex in AC and Liberation has already shown it can do crowds outside of small MP levels at that. Hell, they did a good job of not downgrading the SP portion of the game a lot and that's a lot more ambitious.

Just because it's a handheld, doesn't mean asynchronous fits a game better which is my point. If anything, this "strategy" mode sounds shoe-horned if that's all there is.

The only thing I'm annoyed with is that they never announced what the MP is which is pretty sad.

Russell

My thoughts exactly. Vita needs exclusive support. The hardware has all the tools it needs to support full features games. It's just a question of a developer taking the time the master the hardware's capabilities.

I'd like to believe that the GoW Origin games were ported to PS3 from PSP because the PSP hardware lacked the tools to fully emulate the console games. Namely a second analog stick and visual quality.

AC3:L is arguably a first generation Vita game. I hope the Vita audience continues to grow so we can see what second and third generation games look like.
Well said, man. Well said.

The most important thing for Vita are exclusives that take full advantage of its capabilities. And Vita needs as much of them as possible.

I'm not really fond of them putting proper AC multiplayer into Liberation but your reasoning seems kinda rubbish. There's no reason why they couldn't pull off the proper AC multiplayer modes in the game, they're already pulling off proper AC gameplay after all.

The reason why I don't think it's a good idea is based on the idea that the vast majority of Liberation owners will almost certainly be getting AC3 as well, so there's not much point giving them the same exact multiplayer twice. Maybe it would've worked if AC3 PS3 and Liberation were cross-play but since they're not, then I'd rather Liberation bring something different to the table. I'm really interested now, in seeing what it is.

demolitio

Well said, man. Well said.

The most important thing for Vita are exclusives that take full advantage of its capabilities. And Vita needs as much of them as possible.

Man, if Call of Duty turned out to be good, it would have helped the Vita out a lot this year having a 1-2 punch with AC:L and then that. I just hope AC:L sells well enough to convince some publishers or developers to take a chance or at least wait until Sony's next wave of games come out.

I'm not really fond of them putting proper AC multiplayer into Liberation but your reasoning seems kinda rubbish. There's no reason why they couldn't pull off the proper AC multiplayer modes in the game, they're already pulling off proper AC gameplay after all.

The reason why I don't think it's a good idea is based on the idea that the vast majority of Liberation owners will almost certainly be getting AC3 as well, so there's not much point giving them the same exact multiplayer twice. Maybe it would've worked if AC3 PS3 and Liberation were cross-play but since they're not, then I'd rather Liberation bring something different to the table. I'm really interested now, in seeing what it is.

Except us PC folks that were wanting a quick fix to last us the month delay. I just thought they'd put their own twists on it and make it sort of different but still competitive third-person gameplay. I get your point though.

OmegaZero

Except us PC folks that were wanting a quick fix to last us the month delay. I just thought they'd put their own twists on it and make it sort of different but still competitive third-person gameplay.

Yeah, I was hoping for something like that, but knew that it would most likely be different based on the silence.
Maybe it might surprise me, but my expectations for it are pretty low right now.

Peff

gCKp6.jpg

Yay.

Vlodril

Well the game looks beautiful in the vita screen. Screens as usual don't do vita games justice.

Animations are great. Aveline moves like any other assasin. Freeruning is also the same as far as i have seen. The combat seems a bit more involved than previous games but i haven't yet played alot.

Also there is a decent amount of people in the streets. Less than the console versions but nowhere near close to them being empty. City feels lived in. Really colorfull too. Great stuff so far i am very pleased with it.

Such a breath of fresh air to play a different character as well. I liked ezio but 3 games was more than enough.

Derrick01

Banned
The screens and impressions look great. It makes me sad that, much like AC3, I have to wait another month. Probably won't be able to get the Vita bundle until then.

Could someone with the game post the trophy list? I'm interested to see what's there. You should just be able to sync your trophies, manually update your profile on PSNProfiles.com and then post your profile. That is, if the trophies sync and PSNProfiles works properly.

Peff

Is this in your possession at this exact moment?

Yep.

Could someone with the game post the trophy list? I'm interested to see what's there. You should just be able to sync your trophies, manually update your profile on PSNProfiles.com and then post your profile. That is, if the trophies sync and PSNProfiles works properly.

I can, but give a little time to finish the intro.

I think someone asked earlier, the game does disconnect you from PSN while playing the story. Loading times are a little irksome so far.

Tiamant

Yes there are missions but I've only seen one on chapter 2, there are probably side missions before but I just blazed through the story.

I like that you can face some missions with any outfit which changes a lot how you approach them. I always choose the lady one and make mass murders on dark alleys, fun fun fun.

iNvid02

Do you need to play past games to get/enjoy this game??

the ac story is split into two parts, modern day sci-fi coupled with a historical side. the historical side of this can be enjoyed without the other games because its set in a new location and comes with a new protagonist.

but the modern day story which has spanned 4 games so far, comes to an end in this fifth entry, and it plays a pretty big part of ac3 according to ubisoft.

wrong thread, ignore

srcp8.gif

Takao

Banned
the ac story is split into two parts, modern day sci-fi coupled with a historical side. the historical side of this can be enjoyed without the other games because its set in a new location and comes with a new protagonist.

but the modern day story which has spanned 4 games so far, comes to an end in this fifth entry, and it plays a pretty big part of ac3 according to ubisoft.

Liberation isn't supposed to be connected to the overarching modern day stuff IIRC.

Tiamant

Did I miss something in the OP regarding that?

I don't know yet, the story is a bit cryptic once you reach certain point and there are a couple of things I don't understand, but I wouldn't be so sure about Liberation being completely independent from the future arc.

Peff

Hm, it doesn't seem to register properly. Do you need to get a trophy for the list to appear? In any case, I'll just do it the hard way!

No story spoilers.

- Platinum Trophy
- Hidden Trophy
- Hidden Trophy
- Hidden Trophy
- Hidden Trophy
- Hidden Trophy
- Hidden Trophy
- Hidden Trophy
- Hidden Trophy
- Hidden Trophy
- Hidden Trophy (almost certainly complete chapter x)
- 100% synchronization in all missions.
- Block 10 shots with human shields.
- Obtain all journal pages.
- Obtain all crocodile eggs.
- Obtain all Mayan statues.
- Obtain all items for every costume.
- Kill 5 guards in 15 seconds using the machete.
- Climb 8848 meters
- Survive 5 encounters with crocodiles
- Seduce 50 NPC.
- Change costumes 50 times.
- Buy the maximum amount of ships (8)
- Jump from branch to branch 10 times without touching the ground.
- Do 15 aerial kills from trees.
- Kill 7 rooftop guards with the Lady costume.
- Use the blowgun to kill 50 guards from a hay stack.
- Use the umbrella to kill 25 guards.
- Buy your first dresser.
- Buy all dressers.
- Steal 5000 (yep) shields.
- Pull off 10 predator kills with the whip.
- Collect all mushrooms.
- Use poison to make an enemy kill 5 other enemies.
- Hidden Trophy.
- Reach all High Points.
- Complete all of the Trade Rivals missions.
- Complete all of the Pirate misions.
- Complete all of the Swamp missions.
- Free all slaves.
- Hidden Trophy.
- Participate in 100 multiplayer battles.
- Complete 30 economy missions in multiplayer.
- Achieve maximum level in multiplayer.

Top Bottom