• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Skux

I'd say the meat of the game is the environment and main campaign, where you see the best of what the gameplay can offer. A lot of the sidequests, especially the Paris Stories, are simply chances to experience the gameplay under a different set of conditions. Even the locked chests which are protected by guards are like mini-missions where you can either kill all the guards, sneak past them, or kill them all stealthily.

48 hour companion app mission at the Pantheon woop woop

Yeah I had two die on a higher level mission. It's best to heal them to full before the mission since they all still take damage (I'm not sure if this is tied to their level or defense stat). However even on full health they may die even though you have a 100% success rate.

I finished the main story. Like many other AC games, it's underdeveloped and yet still manages to be convoluted. The characters could have been memorable but they don't get enough screen time to establish their motivations.
I knew you'd end up killing Bellec as soon as I saw his outfit in the options screen.
And the game assumes you already know about the French Revolution and hides a lot of important details in the encyclopedia. I had no idea why there were both guardsmen (blue dots), and enemies (red dots), and why the enemies were calling me a "bloody moderate" and "Royalist scum" until I finally found that they were Jacobins who were the extreme revolutionaries. More exposition and framing around the historical period would have been nice.

The whole modern storyline is very unsatisfying and feels like a red herring. All you find out is that Germain's DNA can't be recovered, but it's fine because it means the Templars don't win. There's no real payoff.

I felt that too its made me want to know more about the Era though

Skux

I felt that too its made me want to know more about the Era though

Same here. I'm now watching the History Channel documentary about and browsing Wikipedia for a bunch of people. I thought it was just your "ordinary" revolution to overthrow the monarchy, but then it goes batshit crazy with extremist factions, events like the September Massacres and the Reign of Terror, and the new government ends up destroying itself.

A biopic about Robespierre would be enthralling.

Same here. I'm now watching the History Channel documentary about and browsing Wikipedia for a bunch of people. I thought it was just your "ordinary" revolution to overthrow the monarchy, but then it goes batshit crazy with extremist factions, events like the September Massacres and the Reign of Terror, and the new government ends up destroying itself.

Any good links to videos or YouTube about the topic?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

The co-op missions are more about the revolution than the main campaign.

The app is stupid as hell.

Why the hell should it take me 100 hours to reap the benefits? Some of these missions last over 24 hours. Why? Make them last two hours tops. Granted it's not like it's a bunch of busy work or anything, but why all the pointless waiting?

Just dumb....

Is this the same sort of app that black flag had? As in it's a smartphone addon thing again?

I always wondered if there's a way to get those things running on PC somehow (I'm incredibly unknowledgable on the subject) as I don't have a smartphone, and those things are a million times worse when they required booting AC4 just for the app things (so I never actually used it really).

Skux

Any good links to videos or YouTube about the topic?

Here's what I've watched so far:

Crash Course: French Revolution - quick 10 minute rundown

History Channel: The French Revolution
US version
British version (content is the same, only the narrator is different. I'd go with the US version because of higher video quality)

BBC: Tearing Up History - The French Revolution

As always it's best to look at multiple sources as they interpret people and events differently.

Bebpo

Banned
I couldn't disagree with this more. Most of the sidequests in this game (and pretty much since AC3) are pointless filler. Very rarely is there a worthy payoff to do them. I wouldn't call them the meat of the game by any means. Fat filling? Yes sure.

Well, when you spend such a minimal amount of your time with the game on the story (if you go for 100%, story missions are maybe 20% of your playtime), and when the stories are pretty weak and rushed and feel like they're in just to have a story mode (like how campaigns are in just for the sake of it in mulitplayer FPS games like Battlefield), it's hard to feel like the story is the main point of the game.

Honestly it feels like Ubisoft's "main point" of Unity when designing it was the city, a giant sprawling 1:1 recreation of Paris, their home town; and everything else (including the story & gameplay) came second. Despite being full of content with hundreds of missions, in a lot of ways Unity feels like AC1, a tech demo, since like you said, most of the "missions" are pointless filler.

In fact, as I get near the end of marathoning this beast to a 100% completion, I think the problem with AC is that the core gameplay is too limited to do 50+ hour games.[/i] I mean when you have 150 or so missions, almost all of them come down to 1) Go to a point and stab/shoot a guy surrounded by guards, 2) Go to a point and steal an item surrounded by guards (gameplay-wise no different), 3) follow a guy (which there's not much of in Unity), 4) Defend these people, 5) Fight these people, 5) Go solve a riddle, 6) run around collecting data (this mini-game sucks) or 7) Go talk to a dozen people across the city and guess who killed a guy. The riddles and murder mysteries are a nice addition for sure (though the running to all the clue locations in the mysteries is pretty bad); but that's only because without them the core gameplay of AC is extremely limited. There's almost nothing they can do with it besides go to a point and steal/stab a person. And that's fun enough for a while, but by 20-30 hours in it gets old and that's why AC games unless the core gameplay is expanded should only be ~30 hours like AC1->AC:R; this 50 hour+ stuff that AC3 brought in just makes the games tedious because the gameplay isn't interesting enough to support that length. Unity takes it even further/i] by not being a 50-60 hour game, but a 70-80 hour game and that just drives in the monotony of it.

Even getting rid of the modern day gameplay was a shame because at least the modern day segments added different gameplay segments giving them more variety.

Unity does a lot right in its gameplay, it creates the best open-ended assassinations by opening up the insides of buildings and giving a lot more unique ways to get to the target. It also looks very nice. But so much of the game is a step back and the filler is just unbelievably a waste of time; including all the staff designing all these missions when they're all so repetitive.

Yasae

Banned
You're right. They can't make the game longer without going even more RPG-lite. There's too much detail in the world now.

Yasae

Banned
I think the original is still the best in terms of open-ended assassination missions and being close to the original vision.

I do not agree that the controls are the best they've ever been. They still lack precision like they have ever since ACIII. The only great addition this time is the free-run descend button, but even that doesn't work well far too often.

The stealth mechanics are garbage. I think they were better in ACIV. Unless you specifically gear for it, crouching does just about jack squat for keeping enemies from seeing you. The cover mechanics are awful and entering/leaving cover is one of the most frustrating things in the game. Enemies are hyper-aware once you enter the first stage of alert. If you get spotted at all during this state the whole area aggros and you start getting sniped from every direction because the enemies, of which there are far too many everywhere, all carry guns that are insanely accurate. Baiting enemies with your "last seen location" barely works at all, and they took out other tools like whistling and moving corpses to make it just an annoying as hell experience. That was how I felt playing the game, at least.

They make stealth a huge pain in the ass, and the controls suck anyway, so what's the best approach to any situation? Barrel in and use a smoke bomb and maybe a medicine or two. Every time.

It's a broken game. You can almost see how they made various parts of it an a vacuum and barely slapped the whole thing together at the end. So many weird features that have no context and no tissue connecting them to anything else. The whole thing is just a mess and the art, visuals, and sound are really the only redeeming features.
Firstly, AC1 was proof of concept. Aside from the assassination missions and pointless country roaming to fight combat-cheesing Templars (for flags, no less), there was barely a game there. No Ubisoft titles in recent memory reach those doldrums. And the assassination missions seemed way more open ended than they actually were, because the designers didn't program for many ways of approach. I tried them over and over, and the game just smacks you on hand and says, "Nope, wrong way, try again." There were too many which boiled down to: run through a crowd in broad daylight and stab a man to death, then fight off a small army - which you'll be able to do, because you're invincible except for the guard break ability!

That's AC1. Pretty far cry from Unity design-wise, as it should be. It was a mediocre game in 2007 and it's still mediocre now.

If you don't like weight in characters movements that has nothing to with design and everything to do with preference. Ezio was unrealistically nimbler, I'll give you that, but is it really too much to ask of the player to get used to what Unity offers? I played the game. I say no way. It's GTA IV-itis all over again. Rapid descent worked 99% of the time for me. It can look ugly and unpolished with Arno magically snapping to grips 20 feet away, but is it not the developers trying to make things easier for the player? Imagine this game without it and imagine playing past AC games without it. I'd never go back.

I find stealth to be more of a problem if you don't follow the implied paths the developer laid out for you. Unity is still very AAA designed; it's not on the level of something like Deus Ex, and I feel this is ultimately a small knock against it because of the noticeable rigidity. The enemies and level layouts are more of a puzzle than a sandbox. I agree the cover system is too loose and snipers in particular are cheating-ass crackshots.

I just can't behind the extremity of your argument: the game is "broken" and it's "slapped together". Nah. But it is rough around the edges (doubly so for consoles) despite being in the oven so long.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Now that they improved the framerate, I'm able to dig into the game and boy is it fucking good. Brings back memories of the intimate setting of Brotherhood and ACII.

Couple questions, though. Are the online features just straight up not working for anyone else? Every time I try to "go online" with any feature in the game I've run into thus far, I get a "failed to connect to Ubisoft services". And is there a GAF club I could join?

Edit: saw the op, taking a while to find 1GAF.

Edit 2: found it and sent request!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Firstly, AC1 was proof of concept. Aside from the assassination missions and pointless country roaming to fight combat-cheesing Templars (for flags, no less), there was barely a game there. No Ubisoft titles in recent memory reach those doldrums. And the assassination missions seemed way more open ended than they actually were, because the designers didn't program for many ways of approach. I tried them over and over, and the game just smacks you on hand and says, "Nope, wrong way, try again." There were too many which boiled down to: run through a crowd in broad daylight and stab a man to death, then fight off a small army - which you'll be able to do, because you're invincible except for the guard break ability!

That's AC1. Pretty far cry from Unity design-wise, as it should be. It was a mediocre game in 2007 and it's still mediocre now.

If you don't like weight in characters movements that has nothing to with design and everything to do with preference. Ezio was unrealistically nimbler, I'll give you that, but is it really too much to ask of the player to get used to what Unity offers? I played the game. I say no way. It's GTA IV-itis all over again. Rapid descent worked 99% of the time for me. It can look ugly and unpolished with Arno magically snapping to grips 20 feet away, but is it not the developers trying to make things easier for the player? Imagine this game without it and imagine playing past AC games without it. I'd never go back.

I find stealth to be more of a problem if you don't follow the implied paths the developer laid out for you. Unity is still very AAA designed; it's not on the level of something like Deus Ex, and I feel this is ultimately a small knock against it because of the noticeable rigidity. The enemies and level layouts are more of a puzzle than a sandbox. I agree the cover system is too loose and snipers in particular are cheating-ass crackshots.

I just can't behind the extremity of your argument: the game is "broken" and it's "slapped together". Nah. But it is rough around the edges (doubly so for consoles) despite being in the oven so long.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, but I find it funny how you bring up realistic movement systems since Unity is arguably the worst in this regard. Arno constantly makes impossible jumps and leaps and you can tell the game is just warping you to geometry points. I think III had the animations and look of movement down the best. I still think the precise controls of ACII are king in the series, though.

I don't think it's unfair to call the game broken, or at least easily breakable, when you can smoke bomb your way to victory in just about any situation. Try to play how they want you to play the game and you're more than likely just in for some frustration because the systems are sloppily thrown together and seemingly created independently of each other.

I don't want to completely hate on the game, though. I obviously enjoyed it enough to complete it, but the majority of my enjoyment simply came from exploring Paris and taking in the incredible visuals. I liked the cutscenes and characters despite thinking the overall story wasn't handled very well. Also, the best change they made in this game was getting rid of assholes on rooftops outside of restricted areas. It really made running around the town that much better.

The game really needed more unique assassination situations. I think there were only two, with one even having a cutscene if you did it. They had the right idea (Hitman style) but again, probably didn't have time to complete the vision unfortunately.

zewone

I beat the game by digusing myself as the final boss and walking up to him and assassinating him. :/

Disguise is broken.

Crossing Eden

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, but I find it funny how you bring up realistic movement systems since Unity is arguably the worst in this regard. Arno constantly makes impossible jumps and leaps and you can tell the game is just warping you to geometry points. I think III had the animations and look of movement down the best. I still think the precise controls of ACII are king in the series, though.
Arno only makes impossible jumps if you're constantly holding down the parkour up button while on a straight path. When you press the right inputs he's the most fluid of any assassin in the series.
http://gfycat.com/FlakySoftAmericanwirehair#

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Arno only makes impossible jumps if you're constantly holding down the parkour up button while on a straight path. When you press the right inputs he's the most fluid of any assassin in the series.
http://gfycat.com/FlakySoftAmericanwirehair#

Yep, totally the fault of the user for entering the wrong inputs.

You know what? Maybe they should have made it so you don't fucking climb unless you are holding the parkour up button? Wasn't that the point of the damn thing, anyway? Instead you have this confused-ass system where some things are sufficiently done just by holding the free run button, but some things are require a pressing of the up button, but it's impossible to know just by looking at the situation. Never mind all of the troubles where inputs are seemingly ignored or don't work as you're lead to expect they should, but I'm sure you've never experienced any of that!

Crossing Eden

Yep, totally the fault of the user for entering the wrong inputs.

You know what? Maybe they should have made it so you don't fucking climb unless you are holding the parkour up button? Wasn't that the point of the damn thing, anyway? Instead you have this confused-ass system where some things are sufficiently done just by holding the free run button, but some things are require a pressing of the up button, but it's impossible to know just by looking at the situation. Never mind all of the troubles where inputs are seemingly ignored or don't work as you're lead to expect they should, but I'm sure you've never experienced any of that!
You don't climb unless you hold the parkour up button. You also cannot jump off of rooftops with using the up or down inputs. They explain it to you

R2+X=Emphasis on upward movement/press once to leap

R2=Emphasis on forward movement

R2+O=Emphasis on downward movement/hold to vault

It's quite possible to figure it out. I only had problems when I wasn't use to the new movement system. Especially stuff that was supremely annoying in past games. Like holding R2+O on foot=no random climbing or sticking to environments.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You don't climb unless you hold the parkour up button. You also cannot jump off of rooftops with using the up or down inputs. They explain it to you

R2+X=Emphasis on upward movement/press once to leap

R2=Emphasis on forward movement

R2+O=Emphasis on downward movement/hold to vault

It's quite possible to figure it out. I only had problems when I wasn't use to the new movement system. Especially stuff that was supremely annoying in past games. Like holding R2+O on foot=no random climbing or sticking to environments.

No... you most certainly do climb in many situations simply by holding R2.

You never jump off buildings or platforms, though, unless you hold B or the circle button.

"Emphasis" is a pretty vague concept and is subject to what the game deems is the most appropriate animation, which can be inconsistent. I think it would have been better if it were closer to how it worked in ACII (you didn't climb unless you held the feet button or were on an automated path) and just added the descent button.

I find it funny that some people consider Rogue to be better than Unity. I am finding Rogue to easily be the worst AC game of them all(even worse than Liberation)...and Unity to be one of the best

Crossing Eden

No... you most certainly do climb in many situations simply by holding R2.

You never jump off buildings or platforms, though, unless you hold B or the circle button.

"Emphasis" is a pretty vague concept and is subject to what the game deems is the most appropriate animation, which can be inconsistent. I think it would have been better if it were closer to how it worked in ACII (you didn't climb unless you held the feet button or were on an automated path) and just added the descent button.
You only go forward or over chest high obstacles with R2. Or by holding R2+O to very quickly vault over them, like the chimneys of rooftops. Otherwise Arno literally stops in his tracks from my experience. You can leap off of rooftops by tapping R2+X. As seen in this clip.
http://a.pomf.se/ftlkru.mp4

I find it funny that some people consider Rogue to be better than Unity. I am finding Rogue to easily be the worst AC game of them all(even worse than Liberation)...and Unity to be one of the best
Curious about that, as isn't it just AC 4.5?

Curious about that, as isn't it just AC 4.5?

Well, I really wasnt that much of a fan of 4...so it pretty much comes down to that lol. I find that AC4 is usually the favorite of people who didnt really like AC to begin with. Rogue, so far, is AC4 with literally nothing interesting to me. At least Edward was semi-interesting. And I cant believe they kept that terrible present day gameplay from 4

Aces&Eights

Out of curiosity, did you like AC Black Flag? For me, that is my favorite AC game, followed by AC2. Is Rouge ship heavy?

EDIT: NM you answered it. Whelp, time to wait for Rouge on PS4 lol

Skux

Just found out why the revolutionaries call you "citizen" all the time - it was part of the movement to reject the old culture of titles conferred by birth in favour of the new egalitarian ideals that made no distinction between nobility and peasantry. The honorifics of "monsieur" and "madame" and "madamoiselle" were abolished and use of the term "citizen" was mandated as a form of address for everyone.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Started playing and making progress with the companion app, check today. All progress deleted or not saved.
Wtf? Why release such a broken feature? Is there any other way to open the chests without the need of that useless stupid app?

Is this the same sort of app that black flag had? As in it's a smartphone addon thing again?

I always wondered if there's a way to get those things running on PC somehow (I'm incredibly unknowledgable on the subject) as I don't have a smartphone, and those things are a million times worse when they required booting AC4 just for the app things (so I never actually used it really).

You can download the app in W8, 8.1
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/e...ompanion/a5ffd2bf-261b-459e-8531-a0de68fa9e03
I'm using it from the PC.

Camper182

was away for a month or so, has this game been "fixed" now on ps4? is there still major npc pop - in / LOD pop in and low fps ?

Ferr986

The last challenge room of that Black Altair outfit shows how they need to do something with the parkour system. Sometimes he just refuses to jump to ledges no matter what , making me restart the room again and again...

Collecting cockades and opening chest from the office when i'm on break, rather then spending hours at home doing it
nNOxXltl.jpg

Bliss

Kabouter

The last challenge room of that Black Altair outfit shows how they need to do something with the parkour system. Sometimes he just refuses to jump to ledges no matter what , making me restart the room again and again...

I hate that room so. bloody. much. Took me like an hour to get through it. Totally worth it though, have been using that outfit ever since I unlocked it.

So I bought the season pass and installed it before all this craziness happened and am wondering why am I still seeing the option to buy the "new" weapons. I thought that I more or less would get all the benefits of the season pass seeing as I have it bought and attached to my account on Steam. Dunno, those new guns look real bad ass, and I don't want to pay $3.00 for them as I already have the damn season pass. Double U Tee F, Ubi?

charsace

Looks like Altair's outfit, but there are differences and for that reason I like Thomas de Carneillon's master assassin's outfit even more. They are similar because they are issued with in the same time period.

Kabouter

Looks like Altair's outfit, but there are differences and for that reason I like Thomas de Carneillon's master assassin's outfit even more. They are similar because they are issued with in the same time period.

What differences other than colour are there? I didn't notice any when I previewed them in the outfit screen.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Started this game today. For some reason I can't get the companion app to work. Keeps saying it's searching for a PC connection. Is this a glitch, as I've never used a PC to play a Ubisoft game? I couldn't get it to recognize my X1.

Skux

Started this game today. For some reason I can't get the companion app to work. Keeps saying it's searching for a PC connection. Is this a glitch, as I've never used a PC to play a Ubisoft game? I couldn't get it to recognize my X1.

It should automatically detect your system. Are you logged into Uplay on both the app and game?

I couldn't disagree with this more. Most of the sidequests in this game (and pretty much since AC3) are pointless filler. Very rarely is there a worthy payoff to do them. I wouldn't call them the meat of the game by any means. Fat filling? Yes sure.

It's like buying a 20oz steak and getting an ounce of meat.

I am having s really hard time getting into this one. I thought 2 and 4 were great, and rogue I quite liked too. Seems like the parkour is a step down, and Arno goes where I want him to even less. It looks like shit too, the animations are super choppy and he doesn't appear to connect with what he's grabbing half the time. And what have they done with the combat? Nice little swordplay then bam, bloke from the roof snipes me. My assassin no longer feels like a badass, not even remotely. No whistling from haystacks? Jesus.

Plus, these characters are awful. I miss Ezio...

Should the Initiates program detect my previously played games? I'm level 2 at the moment even though I finished Black Flag and every other AC game.

Top Bottom