• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASTRO BOT | State of Play Reveal Trailer

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
John is working on a preview for the Astro Bot demo he played recently, and let's just say that the man is hyped af.

Apparently they went above and beyond on the haptic feedback implementation.

What a genius move by Sony this is.

Bring out a haptic heavy game to wear down the batteries of everyone's old DualSenses, then unleash this baby on the market for the PlayStation 30th anniversary

xvojN85.png

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
As long as they are on PS5 only they are exclusive regardless of them being first party or not.
Sure but this gen third party devs are delivering better games than Sony first party studio in my opinion.

Astro Bot is only exciting first party I’m actually looking forward from PS5.

nial

Oh yeah. I guess the octopus one we've seen in the hands on previews but that video has some new footage not shown which is cool and of course the monkey one is new.
Yes, best part, IMO. Though, I guess we won't see this guy (or any of the other suits) anymore.
7n2eoAc.jpeg

Nintendo could actually, obviously people who played Super Mario Galaxy 2 would know, but I guess they're too concerned with innovating in the Genre, they're going for full Open World it seems, going by Bowser's Fury
If they go the Odyssey route again...I'm not sure what to think , but it's the least memorable Mario game IMO! Astro's my new Mario...

This announcement put me on a Platform binge!

last month I played Astros Playroom, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and Crash 4.

All still great games I think Ratchet is the best despite being more of a shooter. Best Insomniac game in recent memory anyway.

Interview is in French but can turn on captions and auto translate it.

From Remember_Spinal on IconEra

Interview with Nicolat Doucet about astro bot:

- Since the "creation" of Asobi they went from 25-30 to 65 devs. He said it's a small team compared to other studios with big games but it's the perfect size for them since they still can keep Team Asobi DNA. He added that if they grow even more he wonders if they can keep that DNA, but that for him now it's the perfect size and they have a really good dynamic

- They completely overhauled the engine for Astro Bot (the game will be prettier, have more physics, etc. compared to Playroom)

- Main game is 12h-15h, they never said to themselves that the game needs to be 20-30h. They wanted a game where the tempo is constant for the whole game, where each level has the same quality rather than just stretching out the game

- They would rather reduce the length of the game than give an impression of repetition

- For the open world, they didn't make a prototype, it was just a brainstorm amongst themselves

- He got asked about a PlayStation themed planet, but he didn't want to answer to avoid overhyping things and to keep some suspense

- They have a team named DualSense 2.0 (3-4 people) to create new ideas on how to use dualsense

- There are some walls that Astro can touch with his hand, that are smooth at first then become a little rough and then smooth again, with haptic feedback indicating that there is a secret passage behind the rough section

- Why there is no VR compatibility: Astro Bot is not a game that can be made hybrid, because as a VR game it will be mediocre. To make a good VR game, it should be like Rescue Mission where everything must be thought of for VR

- He was asked if Playstation releases more hardware in the future, will they be added to Astro Bot like the new update Playroom got. He said if new hardware is released, they will be added to Playroom

Last edited:
Top Bottom