• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 148 including 132 children dead as Taliban storm Pakistan school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
So sad. I don't even know what to say. How are humans in this day and age still capable of this shit? I think what hurts the most is just the feeling of helplessness. What do you do to stop people hellbent on taking other lives including their own. So fucking depressing.

Awful, awful news. Education really is the most effective weapon against the Taliban/Islamic extremists and they know it, hence cowardly attacks like this.

This is true. Like Malala said, nothing scares the Taliban more than an educated woman. It is like antibiotics to bacteria. RIP to those little kids, they deserve so much better.

I am driving to work and just heard about the fucking sub-human animals killing children on CBC Radio.
Man this is hitting me hard, I just had to pull over. I am not a crier but I can feel the tears in my eyes. Nothing hits me harder than hearing about kids being abused or murdered.
If any good can come from this hopefully this action of cowards unites the people in the East against them.

NWFP is really fucked now. If Taliban thought the army was bad the past few months, wait till they find out whats in store ahead. I am fearing Hafez Assad type of destruction here.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't think I could ever understand what would drive people to slaughter people, esp. children.

I don't think I want to either. :( I would say "I can't believe it," but sadly I've seen too many stories of kids being killed in school or innocent people being killed for seemingly no reason whatsoever. I just can't understand... I just don't get it. :(

ABC News ‏@ABC 3m3 minutes ago

Afghan Taliban condemns Pakistani Taliban's attack on school: ''Killing innocent children is against the principals of Afghan Taliban."

SMH, you know you are evil when the Afghan Taliban thinks you are awful

I don't think I could ever understand what would drive people to slaughter people, esp. children.

I don't think I want to either. :( I would say "I can't believe it," but sadly I've seen too many stories of kids being killed in school or innocent people being killed for seemingly no reason whatsoever. I just can't understand... I just don't get it. :(
"for greater good. avenge your slain brothers killed by the army"

Wage war against Allah and his messenger. It's difficult to use that for justification to be fair.

Anyway people need to stop getting caught up in the dogma. These guys aren't thinking of these verses before picking up a gun, there's more to it than that, they're well oiled militant machines unfortunately.

how do you interpret that?

wait

LbbATMR.png

If you believe that waging war against Taliban is attacking Islam then you will pick the interpretation of the Taliban
If you believe that waging war against Taliban is helping Islam then you pick the Interpretation of the 132 children who died.

Ogimachi

Wage war against Allah and his messenger. It's difficult to use that for justification to be fair.

Anyway people need to stop getting caught up in the dogma. These guys aren't thinking of these verses before picking up a gun, there's more to it than that, they're well oiled militant machines unfortunately.
It's their reasoning, obviously not mine, and that's just one verse which calls muslims to war. I could literally quote more than a hundred.
how do you interpret that?

wait

LbbATMR.png

If you believe that waging war against Taliban is attacking Islam then you will pick the interpretation of the Taliban
If you believe that waging war against Taliban is helping Islam then you pick the Interpretation of the 132 children who died.
They think the pakistani army is waging war against Allah and must pay for it. The children were shot because they were probably muslim. If they had been non-muslims, they would've been:
a) decapitated
b) mutilated and then shot
c) crucified

It's their reasoning, and that's just one verse which calls muslism to war. I could literally quote more than a hundred.

They think the pakistani army is waging war against Allah and must pay for it. The children were shot because they were probably muslim. If they had been non-muslims, they would've been:
a) decapitated
b) mutilated and then shot
c) crucified

The verse I quoted is a reply to ALL the 100s of verses you say ask muslims to wage war against whomever...

going by the verse I quoted who is perverse looking at it in the 3rd person view, the army or Taliban? go ahead. And why do you give their reasoning weight when the Quran itself says their reasoning is flawed IN THE VERY VERSE I QOUTED

think about it real hard and tell me who is perverse here.

Ogimachi

going by the verse I quoted who is perverse looking at it in the 3rd person view, the army or Taliban? go ahead.
I don't know why you're asking this. I was making a point against the teachings in their holy book.
I'm as horrified and enraged by this as the next person, I was just pointing out that it's based on their religion, even though that's not what most of the media want you to believe.

I don't know why you're asking this. I was making a point against the teachings in their holy book.
I'm as horrified and enraged by this as the next person, I was just pointing out that it's based on their religion, even though that's not what most of the media want you to believe.

I am asking because you are saying I have 100s of verses which ask muslims to attack and I quoted you the verse which says there are some verses which help distinguish who REALLY follow the right interpretation if they read the rest of Quran and who is doing it because they are evil. Now tell me as per that verse is evil between the Army and Taliban.

Their religion? it was the religion of the 132 children who died and their parents too.

Don't try to hide behind the faux enragement when I know what you tried to do with quoting the verses.

Sick and tired of people giving weight to what these monsters feel and think.

Marvel

could never
Barbaric, truly shocked to hear this story today. News is so depressing lately but I feel like I have to be aware what is going on in the world.

Brinbe

What's there to say? Horrible beyond any measure. Those poor children and other victims. No one deserves such a needlessly cruel end.

Doesn't matter how you or I interpret it. What matters is how the Taliban interpret it since the are acting.

Why do you even give their interpretation weight? they are evil to begin with. You know it says there is a right and wrong one. Unless you are trying to say Taliban interpretation is the right one there is NO need to give their views ANY weight.

Why do you even give their interpretation weight? they are evil to begin with. You know it says there is a right and wrong one. Unless you are trying to say Taliban interpretation is the right one there is NO need to give their views ANY weight.
You really fail at dealing with reality.

You really fail at dealing with reality.

you really fail at hiding the consistent nuanced islamophobia, all i asked was a simple question, why do you give their views any weight unless you want their view to carry some weight. 132 children dead and the response is to attack the religion of the children? sick

Ogimachi

That verse actually outlines the punishment for those who are in modern terms, terrorists. So, themselves really.

Are they actually using that as justification or are you pulling this out your area?
Look at the quoted posts and you'll see. RurouniZel said he didn't understand why people do this. RustyNails quoted what he seems to think would be the usual call to arms used by the Taliban, and I quoted a verse from the Quran which has been used by islamic radicals for decades.

Did they use this verse to justify this specific action in a video or something? No, but I was quoting a verse that's relevant to the topic, and one that has been used before.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

you really fail at hiding the consistent nuanced islamophobia, all i asked was a simple question, why do you give their views any weight unless you want their view to carry some weight. 132 children dead and the response is to attack the religion of the children? sick

Are you serious? Like, really? You think their religion has nothing to do with this? That these guys are "evil" as a default and would have done the exact same thing (or worse) had they not been influenced by Islam? Obviously, attack the people who did this first and foremost, but to try and say their religion had nothing to do with it is insanity.

Are you serious? Like, really? You think their religion has nothing to do with this? That these guys are "evil" as a default and would have done the exact same thing (or worse) had they not been influenced by Islam? Obviously, attack the people who did this first and foremost, but to try and say their religion had nothing to do with it is insanity.

it has only to do with religion if YOU believe Taliban view of Islam is what Quran says is the true interpretation....Quran makes it pretty clear difference so unless you believe the perverse and creating disording in the land were the 132 children and their parents and the army, then go ahead. we know what you believe.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Are you serious? Like, really? You think their religion has nothing to do with this? That these guys are "evil" as a default and would have done the exact same thing (or worse) had they not been influenced by Islam?

They probably would have, is the sad thing. When people feel their ethnic communities are being marginalized, they cling to any ideology that justifies this sort of thing. Look at the Tripura Front in India (Christian terrorists) and the Karen Buddhist Army (unsurprisingly Buddhist terrorists) in Myanmar.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
it has only to do with religion if YOU believe Taliban view of Islam is what Quran says is the true interpretation....Quran makes it pretty clear difference so unless you believe the perverse and creating disording in the land were the 132 children and their parents and the army, then go ahead. we know what you believe.

It's not just their view. You see these kind of horrific acts happening all the time in many different regions across the world. Even if they don't represent the majority, the fact that such an interpretation is possible at all and is being acted upon at a terrifying rate says all you need to know. There's no argument about the text encouraging the fucking crucifixion and murder of enemies. The only difference in interpretation lies in "who" are the enemies.

They probably would have, is the sad thing. When people feel their ethnic communities are being marginalized, they cling to any ideology that justifies this sort of thing. Look at the Tripura Front in India (Christian terrorists) and the Karen Buddhist Army (unsurprisingly Buddhist terrorists) in Myanmar.

Yeah, it turns out that faiths can be a very convenient tool to justify horrific acts in the minds of desperate people. Just so happens that Islam is particularly effective in justifying and excusing brutality, it seems.

Omzz

this is disturbing and really hurts a lot considering I'm from there (pakistan). Don't understand what the country has become. tearing up here

ugh

It's not just their view. You see these kind of horrific acts happening all the time in many different regions across the world. Even if they don't represent the majority, the fact that such an interpretation is possible at all and is being acted upon at a terrifying rate says all you need to know. There's no argument about the text encouraging the fucking crucifixion and murder of enemies. The only difference in interpretation lies in "who" are the enemies.

Yeah, it turns out that faiths can be a very convenient tool to justify horrific acts in the minds of desperate people. Just so happens that Islam is particularly effective in justifying and excusing brutality, it seems.

keep giving more weight to their view. you are clearly conforming to the view that the muslims killed by these terrorists are the ones who are creating the disorder in the land not the other way around. holy crap.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Doesn't have to be faiths, any ideology will do - look at the Naxalites (Maoist-Communist terrorist cells in India, numbering over 40,000 and far greater in size than ISIS or any comparable Middle-Eastern organization) or for an example more relevant to the West the IRA/ETA, separatist nationalist groups. Generally speaking, any community which is poor and deprived and feels like another community is unfairly suppressing it will produce terrorists of some flavour. Islam is just noticeable because most of the world's poorest countries that the West actually has to interact with happen to be Muslim, and they have many legitimate reasons to feel like they're being oppressed.

OMG it says right in the OP that it's a border war. Same people in the European racism thread are looking for scapegoats here. People try so hard to explain Eastern events through Western lens; like there is a coup in Thailand because Obama flirted with their Prime Minister...

It's their reasoning, obviously not mine, and that's just one verse which calls muslims to war. I could literally quote more than a hundred.

My point is that it's naive to think that these verses are what are propping up these militant organisations.

For one thing most Muslims recite the Quran in a language they don't understand.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This tangent is losing me:

Is it a nationalistic act of aggression or is it a religious act of aggression?

That probably becomes a bit difficult to separate when almost 100% of the country are part of Islam and it's the official religion of the state.

OMG it says right in the OP that it's a border war. Same people in the European racism thread are looking for scapegoats here. People try so hard to explain Eastern events through Western lens; like there is a coup in Thailand because Obama flirted with their Prime Minister...

On the other hand, some people try so hard to make excuses.

That probably becomes a bit difficult to separate when almost 100% of the country are part of Islam and it's the official religion of the state.
Taliban are just as much about Pashtun Nationalism as they are about Islamist Extremism. So they're a bit of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom