• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ayesha: Alchemist of Dusk |OT|

vall03

But you should be able to get the DLC characters if you get a physical copy too? Unless you're planning on using that 10 bucks for the characters. O:

yup, basically gonna use the free $10 for the DLC. Though Im not sure if $10 will be enough since I want the extra dungeon, the swimsuit (yes!) and the music DLC too.

Also, is there a chance that we get Atelier Ayesha PSN avatars?

Dreamer RD

It depends on the task. I think you would either get a Game Over or if you're a bit further into the game you might get a Bad Ending. The tasks are generally really easy to complete though so getting one of the good endings on your first try shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds weird. Means player can't just farm exp and do whatever he wants?

Sounds weird. Means player can't just farm exp and do whatever he wants?
No, that's the charm of the series. If you could do that then there would be no challenge to it at all. You need to balance your time between fighting monsters, gathering ingredients, mixing alchemy, and fulfilling quests.

Eusis

No, that's the charm of the series. If you could do that then there would be no challenge to it at all. You need to balance your time between fighting monsters, gathering ingredients, mixing alchemy, and fulfilling quests.
Or you get Iris. And I found that kinda boring. But maybe if I actually seriously dug into these newer games I'd feel the same, though I think the problem with Iris was failing to stand out from a gameplay perspective, alchemy was more like a neat gimmick on the side.

I'm not going to lie, as fun as the game was... I used a guide on my second playthrough for Meruru and still had great fun.

I might even "spoil" myself and use a guide on my first playthough on Ayesha. The game is still really fun with a walk through and I guarantee myself a Platinum.

LuuKyK

I'm not going to lie, as fun as the game was... I used a guide on my second playthrough for Meruru and still had great fun.

I might even "spoil" myself and use a guide on my first playthough on Ayesha. The game is still really fun with a walk through and I guarantee myself a Platinum.

There are a bunch of spoiler free walkthroughs out there IIRC. And I used them a lot for my second/third playthroughs too. :p

Rarutos

I personally usually recommend a blind run first time through, and using guides to get the rest of the endings after. That's what I do.

Stuart444

Seems I get two weeks rather than 1 week to play/complete/platinum (if I go for Plat) Ayesha since Neptunia Victory has been delayed one week in the UK (see the NIS America, Inc. Europe page on facebook)

Ah well, one week tomorrow til Ayesha is out here.

Sonicbug

I'm picking up the game, the voice work thing is disappointing but hopefully if anymore Atelier games are made/released here T-K will add back in Japanese voices.

(Watch them do the opposite and release download only versions with only a JP voice track. =/)

I never finished Mereru... oh well. I'll get back around to it someday, but the Rorona thing in that game pissed me off.

Stuart444

I never finished Mereru... oh well. I'll get back around to it someday, but the Rorona thing in that game pissed me off.

Which bit? The fact that she was
made a child
or the developers excuse for it? I don't blame anyone being annoyed by that regardless though. Ignoring that, I like Rorona's character in the game and I liked Meruru as a whole but the excuse really pissed me off.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The Atelier Facebook page just announced UK preorders will get a limited edition art book while supplies last,

Rarutos said:
Q: Do I need to play any previous games to understand the plot/story/gameplay/etc.?
A: No, you do not. This title is currently stand alone from any other title in the series (and probably the beginning of a new one). In fact, it also deviates quite a bit, as they did not bring back much at all in terms of recurring characters. i.e. No Punis, Hagel, Pamela, etc.

Really No Punis? That's kinda disappointing, thought they were the ultimate mascot. Its Like having a FF with no chocobos. Anyways I'll probably pick this up. Even though I haven't beat the Arland series (even though I own all of them) yet.

Jathaine

Something about this game just draws me in. It might just end up being my first Atelier game.
Since it doesn't seem to have tie-ins to the previous games... do you guys think this would be a good starting point?

Yep, it's probably an excellent starting point. I never played any of the PS2 Atelier games and I was able to jump in with Atelier Rorona without any problem.

Atolm

So hyped!. But see you next year. I played and platinum'ed Totori last Fall, and I still need to buy Meruru. But I hope everyone enjoys Ayesha :).

kswiston

I will probably be ordering this thanks to a free $10 voucher that Sony gave me a week ago and the current spend $50, get $10 back offer on PSN.

Did they go with an older girl with this entry? Some people refuse to play games starring girls at all for some reason, but this title might be a good one to recommend to jrpg fans if it stars a slightly older lead and has less fanservice.

Ayesha is supposed to be 17. That's a bit older than the girls in the Arland trilogy. In the original Japanese releases Rorona was 14, Totori was 13, and Meruru was 15 years old.

Coxy

Something about this game just draws me in. It might just end up being my first Atelier game.
Since it doesn't seem to have tie-ins to the previous games... do you guys think this would be a good starting point?

yeah it's a good game to jump in at, some people will say totori and meruru are better games but they require playing the other games to fully enjoy them, this one is a new thing so it's a good place to start

Sonicbug

Which bit? The fact that she was
made a child
or the developers excuse for it? I don't blame anyone being annoyed by that regardless though. Ignoring that, I like Rorona's character in the game and I liked Meruru as a whole but the excuse really pissed me off.

The excuse. That's why things like that loli thread exist.

A.E Suggs

I'm in day 1 for this, I expected more of the no dual audio no buy brigade but I guess all of them are off doing who knows what by now.

such a shame that Koei seem to be putting the bare minimum into the Western release of this
with zero marketing (no LE, amazon uk preorder only went up a couple of days ago) this game is going to sell pretty badly, boycott or no boycott

Doubtful that it will sell bad because the games always sell overtime anyway. Also has marketing for these games ever really mattered? Its usually you already know about them by being an NISA fan or you don't. The only thing that is required is that they make the game known which they have done.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Ayesha seems to hit all the right notes for me art/music-wise and this was the last thing I was worried about, given what I've seen of its predecessors.

It hasn't disappeared entirely, but there's nothing like the onsen scenes or whatnot. The worst is the beachware DLC that seems mandatory for every JRPG at this point.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Looks like no release date delivery from Amazon :(

tha_devil

No LE, no sale. I collect every NISA CE so this is very disappointing (still getting hyperdimension neptunia this month though).

Rarutos

Well, NISA isn't doing the publishing this time around, so there is no LE. I'm pretty sure they would have done one if they were. :(

Eusis

Well, NISA isn't doing the publishing this time around, so there is no LE. I'm pretty sure they would have done one if they were. :(
And unless they did something overtly unappealing with it it'd also be the one I would've jumped at immediately, rather than either get it later (Totori, Rorona at an extreme) or not get it at all (Meruru, though I did get it later from a GameStop that still had the artbook so I guess that's half of an example.) I wonder if it'll even have a manual, I'm sorta considering going with PSN especially with this month's promo but I do have $10 credit from Hyrule Historia being screwed up, and it sounds like Tecmo Koei's still one of the better ones about manuals.

This looks interesting....Is there any trailer of any kind for this game? I'd like to see how well the turn-based battle system works in this game. I'd also like to hear the english voices.

Eusis

This looks interesting....Is there any trailer of any kind for this game? I'd like to see how well the turn-based battle system works in this game. I'd also like to hear the english voices.
Did a search on Youtube, and there's gameplay footage of the Japanese game but nothing on the English game far as I can see. Just shows how completely absent Tecmo Koei is with marketing this, to be honest I'm vaguely stupefied by them having the game displayed for digital pre-order.

Stuart444

Yup, there is no English trailer out and there isn't likely to be (unless one goes up on Monday) which is a little sad :( but oh well.

Can't wait to play the game though :D only a couple more days (hopefully like P4G I get it on Wednesday from Shopto)

Eusis

Yup, there is no English trailer out and there isn't likely to be (unless one goes up on Monday) which is a little sad :( but oh well.

Can't wait to play the game though :D only a couple more days (hopefully like P4G I get it on Wednesday from Shopto)
It actually does look plausible that they'd only do some (light) marketing upon release, but failing to do anything beforehand.

After seeing a bit of that Gamespot footage (thanks by the way), here's a general consensus.

-Battle system looks a bit slow, but not tedious, as enemies seem to go down quickly.

-Characters look interesting, and I'm interested to see how the story is going to go down with the whole "missing" sister plot.

I'll wait for more footage and English voices before I make my purchase decision.

man their character models are so fucking nice
just wish they can beef up the backgrounds in bigger increments

maybe next gen
along with visible armor changes

The ability to play dress up with your RPG characters should be a mandated feature for next gen RPGs.

Very few of the AAA JRPGs released this gen allowed you that option.

Stuart444

The FB Atelier page just posted this:

542732_535163646527831_987499510_n.jpg

Though the comments are just... *sigh* from the "dual audio or nothing" crowd. I get people being disappointed but the way some are expressing it is just embarrassing.

OceanBlue

The ability to play dress up with your RPG characters should be a mandated feature for next gen RPGs.

Very few of the AAA JRPGs released this gen allowed you that option.

Time and money probably play a larger factor, things which GUST probably doesn't have a lot of. I don't think you'll see in-game costume changes where you previously didn't only due to hardware.

Top Bottom