• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ayesha: Alchemist of Dusk |OT|

Stuart444

Is it a good idea to gather lots near the start? I just got to
Vierzeberg
on 4/22 and I'm now worried that gathering everything I see might not be the best idea.

LuuKyK

The
Zweiteturm (Ancient Library)
first sight and music. :O

Is it a good idea to gather lots near the start? I just got to
Vierzeberg
on 4/22 and I'm now worried that gathering everything I see might not be the best idea.

Im not sure yet, but Im not gathering beyond what is necessary for me to win the memory points of that area (gather + hunt = travel). It has been enough to produce whatever I need. So I dont know. I already synthesized a item to reduce gathering time and another one that vastly reduces traveling time so those are the things you should be looking forward to having as soon as possible as it gives you a lot more time. Im in 01/14 of the second year though.

I've never played an Atelier game, but I'm a huge Disgaea fan and fan of JRPGs in general, and don't mind something grindy. Can someone tell me if I might like this game? Or which game of the series I should start with?

LuuKyK

I've never played an Atelier game, but I'm a huge Disgaea fan and fan of JRPGs in general, and don't mind something grindy. Can someone tell me if I might like this game? Or which game of the series I should start with?

If you are a fan of JRPG Im pretty sure you will like this. It has a lot in common with the Disgaea games when it comes to the funny side of the plot. It plays nothing like Disgaea though. Obviously. :p This game isnt even that grindy, unless you want to go for completion.

About where to start... you might as well start with Ayesha since its a departure from the Arland trilogy. I would still recommend you to play the other three before Ayesha, specially Totori and Meruru. :)

If you are a fan of JRPG Im pretty sure you will like this. It has a lot in common with the Disgaea games when it comes to the funny side of the plot. It plays nothing like Disgaea though. Obviously. :p This game isnt even that grindy, unless you want to go for completion.

About where to start... you might as well start with Ayesha since its a departure from the Arland trilogy. I would still recommend you to play the other three before Ayesha, specially Totori and Meruru. :)

I heard that it's time limited though. Doesn't that make the entire thing kind of stressful knowing that if you don't complete it in time you'll get screwed?

Prinny

Since you like Disgaea you obviously have great taste so you'll probably like this too :)

I think Totori or Ayesha would be the best place to start.

Hey, cool Linca avatar. :D

LuuKyK

I heard that it's time limited though. Doesn't that make the entire thing kind of stressful knowing that if you don't complete it in time you'll get screwed?

For now Ayesha seems to me to be the one where the time aspect matters the least out of all 4 games. In Rorona, for example, you had to deliver something every month so it was kinda restrictive really, but here you are a lot more free. You are not obligated to do something every month, you have lots of things to do at your disposal, and you only choose which one you want to do first and IF you want to do. If you dont you probably will miss one event, or will not increase your friendship with other character, but that will not stop you from finishing the game at all. You just get different endings based on how you played. You wont get "screwed".

Since you like Disgaea you obviously have great taste so you'll probably like this too :)

I think Totori or Ayesha would be the best place to start.

Hey, cool Linca avatar. :D

Stuart444

I just met
Harry Olsom
... and the first thought I had was "He sounds like Gilderoy Lockhart (from Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets)" and the more he talked... the more I thought of that.

I won't be able to unsee that now.

Rarutos said:
Lol, what. They kept the Japanese voice actor credits in the opening after you start the game... That's a bit grating.

So I take it you FINALLY got your game. Horray! Hope you're enjoying it.

Yeah, I did a double-take then too. I'm guessing NISA translated that as is, but after the movie was re-rendered it would cost too much money to redo it. >>;

I will take DLC, but I'd prefer it be free DLC... >>; (Yeah right, *sob*)

It wasn't translated. They just left it as it was in the Japanese version. The only thing that changed was the title "Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk." In the Japanese version it was called "Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of the Ground of Dusk." I thought it was funny to see those voice names too.

Those posters you find all over the world were in English in the Japanese version too.

And yeah, I hope you guys get your dual audio voice track as DLC. That'd be cool!

Eusis

I think with the bad reaction to being monolingual if they were going to put it out as DLC it'd have been promised ahead of release...

... then again with KT's lack of marketing push it actually isn't unreasonable to imagine they decided to go ahead with it, and forgot to tell anyone.

I think with the bad reaction to being monolingual if they were going to put it out as DLC it'd have been promised ahead of release...

... then again with KT's lack of marketing push it actually isn't unreasonable to imagine they decided to go ahead with it, and forgot to tell anyone.

I heard they did put in a J track for another title after release as DLC. I forgot what the name of that title was. I believe it was free of charge too. But yeah, it doesn't mean they'll do it for this game.:(

By the way, did you ever play Totori with the English dub, Eusis? They dubbed barrel!
I loved the English dub in that game.

Stuart444

I'm really getting into the game now though the long distance travels still make me worry about either wasting too much time or missing events such as going back to the ruins near the start is 9+ days to get there depending on what other places I stop at.

Right now I've
stopped at Reginas town again because it mentioned delivery on the map and now I'm taking part in some hunting thing when all I was going to do was look for any deliveries and then continue to the ruins where Marrion(sp?)/Linca are supposed to be
, wasting lots of time that could be spent at the newer places I unlocked up North.

Also just in case I unlock some newer party members soon, if I take Regina out of my party, does that mean I need to go back to her town again to recruit her?

I'm loving the battle system now and the story while moving at a fairly relaxing pace, I'm enjoying it a lot. Interactions between Bell and Ayesha are funny lol. Loving Bell.

Eusis

I heard they did put in a J track for another title after release as DLC. I forgot what the name of that title was. I believe it was free of charge too. But yeah, it doesn't mean they'll do it for this game.:(

By the way, did you ever play Totori with the English dub, Eusis? They dubbed barrel!
I loved the English dub in that game.
In the sense of putting the disc in the system? Sure.

In the REAL sense of actually starting a game and going through? No, I wanted to either beat or give up on Rorona first, and I've been waffling on that anyway. Maybe I'll just get through Ayesha then try Rorona again, but at least Rorona was (I guess) a misstep, given Atelier Iris gleefully dubbed that.

LuuKyK

I'm really getting into the game now though the long distance travels still make me worry about either wasting too much time or missing events such as going back to the ruins near the start is 9+ days to get there depending on what other places I stop at.

Right now I've
stopped at Reginas town again because it mentioned delivery on the map and now I'm taking part in some hunting thing when all I was going to do was look for any deliveries and then continue to the ruins where Marrion(sp?)/Linca are supposed to be
, wasting lots of time that could be spent at the newer places I unlocked up North.

Also just in case I unlock some newer party members soon, if I take Regina out of my party, does that mean I need to go back to her town again to recruit her?

I'm loving the battle system now and the story while moving at a fairly relaxing pace, I'm enjoying it a lot. Interactions between Bell and Ayesha are funny lol. Loving Bell.

Dont worry too much, there is always a new game+. :p

I also did that side quest in Reginas town, its ok if you finish it in one go.

Also you can recruit her in her city or in her store during the bazaar. Same for bell. I switched bell for Linca though. :S

Lucentto

Banned
I just saved
Nio
around the end of year 2. I honestly feel like this is the best Atelier game I have played yet, I am enjoying this game more than Totori or Meruru.

Esura

Banned
Im not sure yet, but Im not gathering beyond what is necessary for me to win the memory points of that area (gather + hunt = travel). It has been enough to produce whatever I need. So I dont know. I already synthesized a item to reduce gathering time and another one that vastly reduces traveling time so those are the things you should be looking forward to having as soon as possible as it gives you a lot more time. Im in 01/14 of the second year though.

Where do you get this item that reduces gathering and traveling time? Would come in handy something fierce cause 4 days to travel two points is a bit much.

It's all part of the learning curve. You'll get used to how time works in these games. :)

I hope so. I don't like how this game allows me access to overpowered areas like that though with extreme ease.

LuuKyK

Where do you get this item that reduces gathering and traveling time? Would come in handy something fierce cause 4 days to travel two points is a bit much.

You dont get them, you synthecize them. I think you have access to them fairly early (in the first year iirc). Its in one of the books you can buy in the Black Cat Store iirc. I think the name for the traveling one is Nomadic Shoes. I cant remember the one for gathering though, i would check but im not home now. And yeah the traveling one is a life saver, three dots in the map is like 1 day now instead of four.

Stuart444

Dont worry too much, there is always a new game+. :p

I also did that side quest in Reginas town, its ok if you finish it in one go.

Also you can recruit her in her city or in her store during the bazaar. Same for bell. I switched bell for Linca though. :S

Not sure who I'll switch myself but I'm loving the characters regardless :) I like the idea of the Bazaar.

I do miss the 2D portraits I'll admit but ah well, I also wish they noted down delivery requests but ah well. They have plenty of stuff noted in the notebook though.

Esura

Banned
You dont get them, you synthecize them. I think you have access to them fairly early (in the first year iirc). Its in one of the books you can buy in the Black Cat Store iirc. I think the name for the traveling one is Nomadic Shoes. I cant remember the one for gathering though, i would check but im not home now. And yeah the traveling one is a life saver, three dots in the map is like 1 day now instead of four.

Niiice. I only bought one book from Marietta though, I hope it's the one.

How do you boost Friendship?

LuuKyK

Niiice. I only bought one book from Marietta though, I hope it's the one.

How do you boost Friendship?

You can check what you will learn with the book in the right side of the store, even before buying them. There is a list there.

And I think there are lots of factors that boost friendship, like doing the characters side quests, having them on your party, watching their events, protecting them during battle...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I hope so. I don't like how this game allows me access to overpowered areas like that though with extreme ease.

I can understand how you feel, but it's not hard to save (you can save anywhere on the over-world map) before you enter a new area.

I'd rather have access then not, especially for new game +.

On another note, for Ayesha's secondary equipment set (shoes, etc) what is the top item, and when do you get it?

Stuart444

So having just met
Nanaca, the cowgirl
, I can't help but think that the Cows look like Grunties from the .hack series.

I'm currently stopping by every area on my way back to the town up North now which is how I met her.

Rarutos

You dont get them, you synthecize them. I think you have access to them fairly early (in the first year iirc). Its in one of the books you can buy in the Black Cat Store iirc. I think the name for the traveling one is Nomadic Shoes. I cant remember the one for gathering though, i would check but im not home now.

Just got the recipes for them and they're actually from the Memory Book.
Nomadic Shoes from exploring Hallos Village and Corrective Glasses from exploring the Glass Ruins.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Nomadic Shoes from exploring Hallos Village and Corrective Glasses from exploring the Glass Ruins.

Yeah, I've made both of 'em. They're quite handy. ^_^

LuuKyK

So having just met
Nanaca, the cowgirl
, I can't help but think that the Cows look like Grunties from the .hack series.

I'm currently stopping by every area on my way back to the town up North now which is how I met her.

I only met Nanaca twice. :| I wonder when will I see her again... or if I am missing something about her events.

Yeah, those are the ones! Got confused with the books. :p

Eusis

I just saved
Nio
around the end of year 2. I honestly feel like this is the best Atelier game I have played yet, I am enjoying this game more than Totori or Meruru.
Something I noticed by the way: the manual spoils
that you DO save Nio and that the game keeps going.

Played more, i feel like the overall style and feel of this is more to my liking. I guess because underneath the cutsey stuff and humor it actually feels like a world that's slowly dying off, or at least has already seen its greatest achievements and is now in a slow decline.

Rarutos

I'm in Year 2 Month 7 and I'm sooo worried that I'm behind schedule or something because I haven't gotten one of the second set of flowers yet.

I wonder when I'm going to be able to get Juris...

But since it's my first playthrough and I'm not really looking at guides at all I guess I shouldn't worry too much... I really want a Warp Gate.

RurouniZel

I'm in Year 2 Month 7 and I'm sooo worried that I'm behind schedule or something because I haven't gotten one of the second set of flowers yet.

I wonder when I'm going to be able to get Juris...

But since it's my first playthrough and I'm not really looking at guides at all I guess I shouldn't worry too much... I really want a Warp Gate.

It took me until the 10th month of the 2nd year to eventually find the stuff I needed.

Have you gone to the huge lake area near Hornheim with Regina in your party? It opens up another path that leads to a flower at some point and also a shortcut on the map. ^^;

Stuart444

I only met Nanaca twice. :| I wonder when will I see her again... or if I am missing something about her events.

Was the second time with Juris
aka Sterk :p

I hate that ALL the trophies are hidden, surely they can't all be events?

I just got back to the place up North (I keep forgetting the name) and it's around 8/8 or 8/something. (Games off just now) and I just got introduced to the item contest thing. I also bought one of the books and I am looking to find out what delivery requests can I actually do just now. If none, I might go exploring around the area a bit (after making some bombs of course :p)

Rarutos

It took me until the 10th month of the 2nd year to eventually find the stuff I needed.

Have you gone to the huge lake area near Hornheim with Regina in your party? It opens up another path that leads to a flower at some point and also a shortcut on the map. ^^;

Bah, I stopped using Regina since I got Linca since I wanted to raise Wilbell's friendship more. Guess I should put her back in! Thanks for the tip~

Also, I must be behind! Month 7 isn't that far off from 10. D8 I knew I was wasting too much time!

I hate that ALL the trophies are hidden, surely they can't all be events?
Well, Meruru and Totori had all the trophies being events, but this one seems to be different, since I got one for filling the Memory Book some, and one for winning the item exhibition contest.

Stuart444

Well, Meruru and Totori had all the trophies being events, but this one seems to be different, since I got one for filling the Memory Book some, and one for winning the item exhibition contest.

Got any suggestions for the item contest? Want to win it once before the end of the game.

Rarutos

Got any suggestions for the item contest? Want to win it once before the end of the game.

I'm finding it pretty difficult to win myself, I just decided to use a Royal Baguette I randomly made and ended up winning. Just high quality stuff should work I think.
I hear you need to win every single one to get Harry's Ending.

Also, were any Ar tonelico fans just as delighted as I was to hear the music at the Oesten Marshland?

RurouniZel

I'm finding it pretty difficult to win myself, I just decided to use a Royal Baguette I randomly made and ended up winning. Just high quality stuff should work I think.

Also, were any Ar tonelico fans just as delighted as I was to hear the music at the Oesten Marshland?

Oh hell yeah!! :D

LuuKyK

I already have Reginas friendship maxed out, and Linca almost. Im wondering if I should put Wilbell in to raise hers? Wont that lower the Reginas one? :|

Shit, I won the first contest but already lost the second to Harry. -_-

And yeah, the OST really reminds me of Ar Tonelico, which is great.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
There are two items you can just get that should win the contest every time, but they will cost a bit to rebuy them after the contest.

1.)
In the salt desert there is a salt flower that you get during one of your trips there. It's an event as you travel and it's automatic. Not sure what triggers it.
2.)
Eventually Ernie will give you a stuffed plush something. I think it's during his event cycle

I'm not sure either of them are actually used for anything significant, so you don't really need to re-buy them if you don't want too.

Both of those items should win every time. The other option is to try to make a high score synthesis. Don't forget you can use your extra synthesis powers by pressing left or right when you put the items in. Power Pour in particular will allow you to basically double the levels of one of the items you put in, but it's expensive CP wise.

Anyways, i'm at new game + with the top adventurer equipment (shoes, basket, etc) and good accessories. Hesitant to play it through again since there are a couple of things that need to be done before certain events, and i'm not sure what those are. I really not want to play it 3 times, hehe. The only guide out there are the moment is in Japaneese, and google translate (try as it will) is still difficult to follow. Link Here. Besides, from what i've read there is enough time where you don't even really need to use a step by step guide, especially on new game +.

Some Sythesis tips, especially for the Dice and Shoes. Power Pour will let you basically duplicate an ingredent, This will help you reach those difficult to obtain traits on items. Secondly, you can use power transfer to attach traits directly to an item, this comes in handy with accessories in particular. This can be done over sub combines, so if you can't get the trait you want to the item, check any sub combines. Just don't forget to use power transfer twice.

Two items in parciular are quite awesome for transferring (edit:properties) they are available from
Ranin (Diamond Ball) and a Delivery Request Reward in Hamelin (Forget the name, it's the girl on the right side of the square)

LuuKyK

There are two items you can just get that should win the contest every time, but they will cost a bit to rebuy them after the contest.

1.)
In the salt desert there is a salt flower that you get during one of your trips there. It's an event as you travel and it's automatic. Not sure what triggers it.
2.)
Eventually Ernie will give you a stuffed plush something. I think it's during his event cycle

I'm not sure either of them are actually used for anything significant, so you don't really need to re-buy them if you don't want too.

Both of those items should win every time. The other option is to try to make a high score synthesis. Don't forget you can use your extra synthesis powers by pressing left or right when you put the items in. Power Pour in particular will allow you to basically double the levels of one of the items you put in, but it's expensive CP wise.

Anyways, i'm at new game + with the top adventurer equipment (shoes, basket, etc) and good accessories. Hesitant to play it through again since there are a couple of things that need to be done before certain events, and i'm not sure what those are. I really not want to play it 3 times, hehe. The only guide out there are the moment is in Japaneese, and google translate (try as it will) is still difficult to follow. Link Here. Besides, from what i've read there is enough time where you don't even really need to use a step by step guide, especially on new game +.

Some Sythesis tips, especially for the Dice and Shoes. Power Pour will let you basically duplicate an ingredent, This will help you reach those difficult to obtain traits on items. Secondly, you can use power transfer to attach traits directly to an item, this comes in handy with accessories in particular. This can be done over sub combines, so if you can't get the trait you want to the item, check any sub combines. Just don't forget to use power transfer twice.

Two items in parciular are quite awesome for transferring they are available from
Ranin (Diamond Ball) and a Delivery Request Reward in Hamelin (Forget the name, it's the girl on the right side of the square)

Is Diamond Ball something that looks like a Spike Fruit and costs like 3000 in Ranuns shop? If yes, what does it do exactly? I read the details there, but it didnt really tell me.

You know, this might be the first time there isn't another one immediately on the horizon actually. Unless you count Vita ports.

Are you sure?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512889&highlight=

Stuart444

Just got beaten by
Keith at Hallos
, his final move... looked awesome!

Also this place is spooky lol.

edit:

I just got an update that mentions Nanaca being
at a mountain, grassland hill/go through the old coal mine. This was right after I got back from Hallos and saw Ranun again

Suikoguy

Is Diamond Ball something that looks like a Spike Fruit and costs like 3000 in Ranuns shop? If yes, what does it do exactly? I read the details there, but it didnt really tell me.

Yes, i'm referring to the properties on the item. In that case stats + 6. I think it has another good one too.

LuuKyK

Just got beaten by
Keith at Hallos
, his final move... looked awesome!

Also this place is spooky lol.

edit:

I just got an update that mentions Nanaca being
at a mountain, grassland hill/go through the old coal mine. This was right after I got back from Hallos and saw Ranun again

I loved his final move too. Pretty bossy.
I died terrible though lmao. I bet there is a trophy for defeating him there. -_-

Also yeah, that part you mentioned was the last time I met Nanaca. :/

Yes, i'm referring to the properties on the item. In that case stats + 6. I think it has another good one too.

But honestly its not a very good item, is it? Maybe in the first year it is but still... I mean, I have some other equipment that gives like +15~20 everything and I just started the second year. Maybe it has some other effect? :X

Stuart444

I loved his final move too. Pretty bossy.
I died terrible though lmao. I bet there is a trophy for defeating him there. -_-

Also yeah, that part you mentioned was the last time I met Nanaca. :/

Ah right, just you mentioned twice when I've counted 3 times (
That time before the tunnel area with her cows, at the tunnel when we first see Juris and the last one I mentioned which I'll be doing soon
) so far so I got confused.

I'm not even done year 1 yet but it feels like I've done a lot already. It also feels like I'm leveling faster than in the Arland series.

Loving the game though, I currently have 500+ memory points and nothing to spend them on. I also lapped up the "inactive party members receive full experience" memory as soon as possible.

Now I just need to keep going through and hoping to get the stuff/the alchemy level for the shoes soon. :/

LuuKyK

Ah right, just you mentioned twice when I've counted 3 times (
That time before the tunnel area with her cows, at the tunnel when we first see Juris and the last one I mentioned which I'll be doing soon
) so far so I got confused.

I'm not even done year 1 yet but it feels like I've done a lot already. It also feels like I'm leveling faster than in the Arland series.

Loving the game though, I currently have 500+ memory points and nothing to spend them on. I also lapped up the "inactive party members receive full experience" memory as soon as possible.

Now I just need to keep going through and hoping to get the stuff/the alchemy level for the shoes soon. :/

Oh, yeah, I completely forgot that encounter you mentioned. lol It was actually the third time indeed. :p

Eusis

This might come off as pedantic, but to me that's just past the horizon to me. We don't really know anything yet other than one is PROBABLY coming, versus the last four games where IIRC Totori was known of when Rorona came here, and I don't think Totori even got released here until after Meruru, with Meruru itself shortly before Ayesha. May well be that this time the focus was on localization before developing the next game.

Stuart444

:D YES, I won the item context with a Body Energy Power... I don't know/think it was that high a quality but I'm glad I won the first one of these.

RurouniZel

Just beat the game for the first time. I'll post some more thoughts and impressions once I've collected them but I just wanted to say the following in case it hasn't been mentioned.

New Game + follows the Totori style. Items Equipped and Money carry over to the next play through.

B92D8F02-DC57-4154-B4C4-CC408F5B4C11-4502-0000078695F45585_zpse20e16b3.jpg

LuuKyK

Just beat the game for the first time. I'll post some more thoughts and impressions once I've collected them but I just wanted to say the following in case it hasn't been mentioned.

New Game + follows the Totori style. Items Equipped and Money carry over to the next play through.

Wow, you are fast. :O

Top Bottom