• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ayesha: Alchemist of Dusk |OT|

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
you dont carry over speed travel and collection items like meruru? bummer

You know, I completely forgot to check that. Let me take a look.

EDIT: Never mind, that stuff's there too. So I guess it's a combo of Totori/Meruru style.

Eusis

23 hours and 21 minutes. Finished with Alchemy level 50 and Adventurer level 46.
Huh, guess it's pretty short if you don't mess around then.

... And with that much stuff carried over that kind of seems like a good idea, but then I'd prefer to savor a game more. If I was going just for trophies rushing would probably be the best plan.

RurouniZel

Huh, guess it's pretty short if you don't mess around then.

... And with that much stuff carried over that kind of seems like a good idea, but then I'd prefer to savor a game more. If I was going just for trophies rushing would probably be the best plan.

My usual play style in an Atelier game is to blaze through the first time, then go as slow and methodically as possible the 2nd time around since I'm carrying over some stuff. ^^;

Stuart444

You know, I completely forgot to check that. Let me take a look.

EDIT: Never mind, that stuff's there too. So I guess it's a combo of Totori/Meruru style.

Fantastic news! Glad to hear it.

I'm having trouble putting this down, almost 4am here and I'm still playing. near the end of December, just made the Extreme basket (120 items in a basket now :D ) and off to the
old coal mine place now. Is there any scales there for the shoes by any chance?

RurouniZel

Fantastic news! Glad to hear it.

I'm having trouble putting this down, almost 4am here and I'm still playing. near the end of December, just made the Extreme basket (120 items in a basket now :D ) and off to the
old coal mine place now. Is there any scales there for the shoes by any chance?

Wow, your basket's awesome. Mine only holds 80. XD

I only recall ever getting scales from beating certain monsters or buying them. :/

Stuart444

Wow, your basket's awesome. Mine only holds 80. XD

Haha, yeah. I saw 3 sections on the trait/effect screens on the synth basket bit and aimed for the second one (which I assume holds 100) but I ended up getting the top tier one instead. :D

(If that sounded really vague or anything, again, 4am and I'm tired haha)

Solune

Also, were any Ar tonelico fans just as delighted as I was to hear the music at the Oesten Marshland?

Unfortunately I'm in the camp that hasn't completed the Meruru/Totori so I won't be getting to this yet but may I ask for a link with the music you're referring to?

RurouniZel

Just random thoughts and rambling, will probably add some stuff later.

Off the cuff, I’d say I enjoyed the game more than Meruru but not quite as much as Totori. I think a lot of this has to do with the game’s story being stronger than Meruru (I’ve previously posted my opinion that Meruru’s story felt more like a Rorona/Totori epilogue than its own thing). I’m not very good at organizing my thoughts in a normal fashion so I’m gonna bullet point some stuff while avoiding spoilers.

Story
Pros: The disappearing sister motivation doesn’t add a whole lot of tension at first… but once I got to the third year I started to feel the pressure because of the added stakes. The world of Dusk is very mysterious compared to Arland, something I hope they’ll explore in a sequel or two.
Cons: Because of the unique setting/character motivation the tone is a little heavier than the Arland games. Also, the plot kind of relies on the old “I know the answer but I’m not going to tell you so go figure it out yourself” bit just to keep Ayesha in the dark, which is kind of a cheap trick in my opinion.

Characters
Pros: The cast is very charming and all fit into the story quite nicely for the most part. Wilbell is so bloody cute! :3 Ayesha is a capable lead, though occasionally a little too "What?". ^^;
Cons: Harry is kind of amusing at times, annoying at other. Juris feels like a Sterk replacement, and Ranun felt like a total throw-away character.

Gameplay
Pros: The battle system enhancements add a lot to the dynamic and battles feel faster overall, which is a major plus. I definitely love the way certain multi-area dungeons allow you to go straight to say, the forth or fifth level from the world map directly once you’ve gotten to them the traditional way. Saves a lot of time. It carries over the right systems from Totori/Meruru like the world map and stuff, so it’s not worth repeating about the awesomeness of those games and by extension this one. ^^;
Cons: Alchemy loses a lot of its challenge in this one for a couple of reasons. Firstly, as items stack you’re rarely ever lacking in materials, and most of the time making anything is going to give you a minimum of two. Often times I could use only two days and make eight of a certain item, and this wasn’t like how Supplements were the only item in the Arland games like this, this is most of the creatable items. And the other reason is because it’s impossible to fail a synthesis. Not only does this take away the ability to fail, but it also takes away the ability to randomly succeed in creating a high level item. Also, maybe I just haven’t found it but I don’t see a way to track my progress with a particular character to see if I’m high in friendship or just pretty far along in their flags or whatever. Maybe they don’t have scores like that anymore, I dunno. Maybe that one’s just me.

Aesthetics
Pros: The graphic engine creates some lovely visuals and esp. the character models. The music is gorgeous and I like how in bigger “boss” battles the music can be dynamic and change as you get close to beating them.
Cons: The engine does stutter at times, particularly on Bazaar Street. But not all that often. Monster design is very repetitive and very small in number. There’s like, five or six monster types that are just recolored over and over and over. Plus, no Punis. ;_;

Overall I REALLY loved this game (I wouldn’t have played this many hours in just a few days if I didn’t) and I really hope the next game stays in this world. ^_^

Rarutos

Neat! I just (End game spoilers)
saved Nio! (Though that's not really much of a spoiler considering it was obvious you do save her if you do things right)
Got a whole year to spare too, how nice! I was worried I was behind schedule! I hope I can raise Keith and Juris' friendship levels quick enough... Then again, it's not like I'm going to get the Platinum this run.

I feel so bad for leaving Nio behind after having her trapped for 5ish years, but she's already at 100 Friendship ;_;

hertog

My GF wonders why the main character doesn't say "BARREL!" anymore :)

And I've not played it myself yet, but the soundtrack sound awesome.

Stuart444

I just got to
the salt desert area and found the thing I need to make tonic for
, I was so annoyed that I'd have to walk all the way back however
once I got back to Hornheim, Kyle let me use a room now... I went "YES" out loud just because it means I don't have to go all the way back now

That was one long trip though, and I still need money to buy all the books that are available now.

LuuKyK

I couldnt play much of the game the last two days at all. Im behind you guys now. x_x Will play today to see if I can share more.

Talaysen

Haha, yeah. I saw 3 sections on the trait/effect screens on the synth basket bit and aimed for the second one (which I assume holds 100) but I ended up getting the top tier one instead. :D

(If that sounded really vague or anything, again, 4am and I'm tired haha)

How useful is a large basket anyway? I have the 100, but I don't think I've even filled it up with more than 60 items yet. And I'm even keeping some battle items in there (which is something I didn't do in earlier games except when going to fight bosses).

I haven't got this far yet, but that's one of my favorite tracks from the OST.

Stuart444

How useful is a large basket anyway? I have the 100, but I don't think I've even filled it up with more than 60 items yet. And I'm even keeping some battle items in there (which is something I didn't do in earlier games except when going to fight bosses).

It's been very useful to me since I generally take everything from an area and have plenty of bombs on me at all times (usually register them at the shop after making them) and even some healing items (mp and hp ones).

But depending on your play style, you may not need that much space like I do lol.

edit: I'm at year 2, 2/9 now. I just fought
the purple boss who someone controlling Nio is commanding
, I fought him twice and got crushed both times (second time, I got his health to half way). Level 32 using Bell, Juris and Ayesha.

Anyone who has fought him got any advice for me?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If you plan on going for all the endings and the like, you could spend some time making better accessories, leveling up a bit, and making sure you have a full set of adverturer's equipment with all traits (Basket, Shoes, etc). Also, do whatever delivery requests you can so you have extra money on the next play.

The improved accessories and levels will allow you to beat the boss, then you can just waste time and start over again; This time, saving a bunch of time from the shoes and harvest accessory. Plus the equipment, keep in mind if you beat the monsters in battle before Ayesha has a chance to go, no time is spent, you can't swing your staff though as that ensures Ayesha goes first.

Quick Explanation on the alchemy abilities (then I have homework to do) to get you started:

You access these abilities by pressing left or right on the directional pad when adding items to your synthesis. You get these abilities as you level up alchemy.

1.) Draw Power - This uses an ingredient, and adds 15 points to the innate abilities of the item. That's the list of traits on the far right, with a x/x number on the top to reach the next innate ability.
2.) Power Pour - This will add the qualities (wind, fire, etc) of a synthesis item, without using the item. This allows you to reach higher traits that might not be possible without it. You will likely need this to make your best shoes for traveling among other items.
3.) Power Transfer - This will directly add the traits of a synthesis item and use the item. This is particularly useful for sub-combines as you can transfer most of your traits with just one item. (IE, make a wax with the traits you want, then transfer them using the wax in the final item).
4.) Delete Property - You can delete a trait directly with this at no cost. Sometimes you just don't want a trait.

The first 3 add to the cost (CP) of creating an item. To make things even more interesting/complicated, some items have stock yard traits that will eliminate or increase the cp cost of doing things.

Mess around with it, you can always save before you do something if you don't want to waste ingredients on a screw-up. Good luck!

On unrelated note:

I nominate Kazuki Yanagawa to be in the running to take over for Dragon Quest music.
Hopefully Koichi Sugiyama is immortal, but in the rare case he is not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-1qqYGLjPY

Reminds me so much of Dragon Quest.

RurouniZel

I met
Linca and Marion
out in a field area. Now I can't find them anywhere. Where did they go?

I think they asked Ayesha to
help them investigate the Ruin Garden
right? You need to go there to meet up with them.

Stuart444

Thanks for all that Suikoguy, about to try again and see what I can do to power myself up.

When is the last date for me to save Nio anyway? And once we save Nio, do we still get some time left in the game to do other stuff? Just curious before I get there.

On another note:

http://www.psu.com/a018662/Atelier-Ayesha-dev-considering-Japanese-audio-option-in-future-games

I find it odd that there is a 'surprise' here (this was posted on the Atelier FB page btw), did NISA never tell Gust that a lot of Atelier fans enjoyed the JPN voice option?

Just seems like an odd response.

edit: And here is another article from the same website (again posted on the Atelier FB page):

http://www.psu.com/a018660/The-RPG-...-influenced-Atelier-Ayesha-says-game-director

RurouniZel

That is interesting that the Japanese director was so surprised by this considering the NISA releases all had them.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I find it odd that there is a 'surprise' here (this was posted on the Atelier FB page btw), did NISA never tell Gust that a lot of Atelier fans enjoyed the JPN voice option?
I'm not well-versed in the licensing process, but I could see that happening. It's not like Gust would have demanded to know the reason(s) why NISA wanted the JP audio before they'd be willing to license it out. It's more like, "Okay, game license is this much, rights to use these images will cost $X, vocal track costs $Y, yada yada", NISA pays for what they want to license and the deal is inked. The audio would have been just another part of the contract, like "no big deal".

Or since Gust was so small and IIRC NISA was the first overseas company they dealt with, it may not have even been as a la carte as that. They could have been making package deals, like "everything for $Z", so the significance of NISA specifically paying for the audio wouldn't have even come up.
The TK acquisition would probably put a stop to deals like that, because piecemealing the licenses = better monetization.

...This is just me tossing out theories though, I don't know much about how the process works.

Stuart444

Late Boss spoiler:
This fortress boss is really unfair, using energy shell allowing 3 extra turns (once using it twice meaning 6 things to attack us including his own attacks) and even at level 40, I get his health near low using EXA bombs with XL damage and Juris and Linca's special move when possible then he KO's two people and finishes the third with a final charge move or something like that.

Oh well, time to keep trying -_-.

RurouniZel

Late Boss spoiler:
This fortress boss is really unfair, using energy shell allowing 3 extra turns (once using it twice meaning 6 things to attack us including his own attacks) and even at level 40, I get his health near low using EXA bombs with XL damage and Juris and Linca's special move when possible then he KO's two people and finishes the third with a final charge move or something like that.

Oh well, time to keep trying -_-.

Yeah he's fucking cheap as all hell once you tick off 70% of his health.

Stuart444

Have you
20K for a Hot Air Balloon?

Not without beating the
Tera-Slag which seems to be even stronger than this boss in terms of sheer power from the Glass Ruins
. I only have 7.5k and need everpure water for most quests now (some of which say delayed now >_< )

RurouniZel

Not without beating the
Tera-Slag which seems to be even stronger than this boss in terms of sheer power from the Glass Ruins
. I only have 7.5k and need everpure water for most quests now (some of which say delayed now >_< )

Hm, then I'd try some of the lower levels of the
library. There are also places in your Notes that mention some more power monsters have seen. I'd also recommend Exa-bombs for the boss, lightning and ice bombs blow against it.

Stuart444

Hm, then I'd try some of the lower levels of the
library. There are also places in your Notes that mention some more power monsters have seen. I'd also recommend Exa-bombs for the boss, lightning and ice bombs blow against it.

I've done all the way into the
library, stops me at archive 6 or 7 I think now?

I will try once more and if I fail then I'll try the library again. I decided to use soul whetstones which I haven't even tried before. Ended up getting on this one, MP+15, HP+15, ATK+3 and Skill Enhance LV1. (edit: also using some Magic Dye on my clothes with a +5PH RES, +20 AIL RES and +10MP)

So I'll at least be slightly more powerful now.

RurouniZel

I've done all the way into the
library, stops me at archive 6 or 7 I think now?

I will try once more and if I fail then I'll try the library again. I decided to use soul whetstones which I haven't even tried before. Ended up getting on this one, MP+15, HP+15, ATK+3 and Skill Enhance LV1. (edit: also using some Magic Dye on my clothes with a +5PH RES, +20 AIL RES and +10MP)

So I'll at least be slightly more powerful now.

As far as I'm aware it
only goes to 7. Maybe something else will unlock more, dunno.
. Otherwise try to update level and equipment is probably the best option. My team was Ayesha x Juris x Keith.

Stuart444

As far as I'm aware it
only goes to 7. Maybe something else will unlock more, dunno.
. Otherwise try to update level and equipment is probably the best option. My team was Ayesha x Juris x Keith.

When do you get Keith? I have not found a way to recruit him yet.

Also is it just me or does Ayesha has the highest natural PH RES? Right now with the boosts, she is at 92 or something but she always seems to be higher (same with HP) no matter what

edit: and I beat him, :D

RurouniZel

When do you get Keith? I have not found a way to recruit him yet.

Also is it just me or does Ayesha has the highest natural PH RES? Right now with the boosts, she is at 92 or something but she always seems to be higher (same with HP) no matter what

edit: and I beat him, :D

Beat him? Awesome! :D

I remember recruiting Keith on the first floor of the library, the one with the counter.

Stuart444

Beat him? Awesome! :D

I remember recruiting Keith on the first floor of the library, the one with the counter.

Yeah, the extra boost from the Soul Whetstones on my weps and the extra PH RES on my armour was enough. Should have used these long ago.

Never was able to recruit him then... weird but
He's helping us out now from the looks of it so I might be able to recruit him soon I guess. I saw a vid with him in your party near what I assume is the final boss when I was trying to find a vid on this boss.
(edit: okay, now I can recruit Keith)

edit: One more question, is there any ultimate/really strong weapons? Just wondering if I should save the Blade Whetstone (which I just got and instantly made some) or if I can use it on any old weapon without worry.

RurouniZel

Yeah, the extra boost from the Soul Whetstones on my weps and the extra PH RES on my armour was enough. Should have used these long ago.

Never was able to recruit him then... weird but
He's helping us out now from the looks of it so I might be able to recruit him soon I guess. I saw a vid with him in your party near what I assume is the final boss when I was trying to find a vid on this boss.

edit: One more question, is there any ultimate/really strong weapons? Just wondering if I should save the Blade Whetstone (which I just got and instantly made some) or if I can use it on any old weapon without worry.

Weird, I was under the impression you had to be at a point in the game where recruiting Keith is possible before the path to the boss will even open. :-/

Dunno about ultimate weapons sad to say. There probably are, but don't quote me on that. ^^;

Khrno

I need some help with an end-game fight if someone has already done it.
The quest is (Alt.) Salt Desert, where you fight
Grand Dragon

I'll spoiler tag the whole issue then:

How do you overcome its regen? Every time he does Chin of Death he does it twice and regens for 600-700 HP, it is overpowering me. I was fighting it for around 15-20 min and it was pointless, the lowest I got it was around 75% and only for it to go get its HP back up again.

My party consisted of Ayesha, Linca and Nio their respective ATK 102, 115 and 132. All three of them have weapons with the properties Red Power and Moon Power. My main damage output was specials, since skills weren't doing too much. Also, what's with his ability or ailment that renders useless Ayesha's healing items?

So I'm thinking on maybe stacking up Skill Power and Skill Enhance at the cost of some HP/MP, but I'm not sure if these properties stack up, as in having many SE LV1 on 3 different equip. pieces would help. I only have 2 months left (on second playthrough) , and I've already killed the (Alt.) monsters Tank, Dragoon, Leader, Tera-Slag and War Bear, so the Grand Dragon might be the last or so far the last hunt I have left on my log.

So I'd appreciate any help with these please:
- Guidance on stacking ATK, Skill Power, Skill Enhance or any other important property.
- Grand Dragon regen from Chin of Death.
- Ability or ailment that makes healing items useless.

As far as I'm aware it
only goes to 7.

Stuart444

Wow, that monster sounds tough ^ I'm interested too in case I get time on this playthrough to face it (when is the final date anyway? Just for reference)

Stuart444

Haha, I thought we were going to get through Ayesha without
a hot spring section... I'm not complaining mind you but it didn't seem like we would get one in this game XD

Eusis

Reading the article, this scared me a bit... I thought the Atelier series was one of the few sacred series not giving into the quest for western appeal.
Well, the problem with them doing it is generally when they attempt to appeal more to the west in a stupid or superficial way that doesn't actually please anyone, this sounds more like fans of the games taking cues and doing his own thing regardless of western appeal, and it seems to me that it's working pretty well for most people.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Speaking of the whetstones, it appears that the stats that transfer to the weapon are based on what stats you put on the whetstone... I have to doublecheck to confirm this, but it would make sense. The game calls the stats it adds to the weapons a "mystery" but maybe not. If that is the case weapons can be powered up quite a bit more with the right property set on the whetstone.

I seriously have to stop playing and work on some class work, so it might not be till tomorrow when I get the chance to try it.

Khrno

Since you bring up the topic about Whetstones:

hFZpLfy.jpg

This is the one I made for all the weapons besides Ayesha's. Getting back to my post a few posts above, I'm going to try this strategy by stacking all those Skill Enhances and a few more on armor or accessory.

Right, so to make Whetstones and Dyes, don't bother trying to make anything specific until you reach Alchemy 30+ or so, when you've learned the synthesis skills and can add many properties to an item.

To make a whetstone like the one above requires several other whetstones, the best way to make something like this is to look for the 5 properties you want to put on a weapon, and then make 5 different Expert Whetstones with Property Copy 1 effect for each property. So when you have all 5 EW, just apply them one by one to the desired weapon.

*Important note: There can be up to 5 properties on the EW, it doesn't really matter, just make sure that the property you want is on the top of the Property list, since that will be the only property transfered into the weapon due to the Property Copy 1 effect (if you apply the same whetstone over a weapon with that first property on it already, it will transfer instead the second one on the list).

To have all 5 properties on the same whetstone, to make the transferable process quicker, you need to wait until near the end of the game, when the Blade Whetstone becomes available, this is the only one with the effect Copy All Props.

Anyway, just play around with the synthesis abilities, Power Transfer is the most important one to move desired properties from one item to another, since the bonus ones are usually set crap. Make sure you read what the traits on the items being used on the synthesis are, since some of them will make life easier. Abuse of Power Pour to fill the bonus box quick, or to help out get the best effects that require a certain amount of elements (the colored bars). And last but not least, Power Denial, use this to delete the properties you don't want.

----------------------------------

On the topic of stacking skills such as Skill Enhance, it is certainly possible, the same with probably most other properties, like elemental resistances or healing bonuses.

Skill Enhance Lv1: Skill power +5%, MP cost -10%
Skill Enhance Lv2: Skill power +7%, MP cost -15%
Skill Enhance Lv3: Skill power +12%, MP cost -25%
Total for the item: Skill power +24%, MP cost -50%

You can also add SE to armor or accessories, although I just have a few Lv1 on some pieces that just got the property randomly when creating them, but for example on Linca I have a total of (appears on the Status screen as): Power 34, Skill Cost 70.

----------------------------------

I'm tired of messing around with synthesis and the game is on 2/26 (on the second playthrough), so I'm just gonna leave the game there until later this week before attempting Grand Dragon again, hopefully this build will be good against him, although my party HP is 220/173/180, before they all were around 220+, and still I have no idea what to do with the item problem during the fight.

Stuart444

I only got one ending;
the worker ending, complete most quests. I think I only had one more quest to do (unless the guy had something else after that) but I couldn't find the 'secret spice' :( I 'almost' had all the events for the girls ending, I think I skipped the first contest (as in I was out for the whole month when it happened) and I had like... one or two flags left for each character for their endings left.

Hoping to get all of them on my second playthrough though. Ayesha is a fantastic game, I've loved every moment of it :D. Also the music is FANTASTIC, easily the best Atelier music this gen (okay I started with this gen, Rorona in particular but still... fantastic)

Suikoguy

The game is as good as Totori, but far from Meruru. It left me disappointed on a few aspects.

Yeah, in particular the enemy variety is pretty sad and Ranan, lol.

Also, thanks for clarifying the whetstones, my suspicions were apparently correct.

Top Bottom