• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky |OT| Just Pretend it's Mana-Khemia 3

As expected, I'm loving the game so far. That said, it feels rougher around the edges than even Ayesha, which changed up a lot of things. Things like the many spelling mistakes, the odd quest descriptions (imbue this cotton shirt with Defense Power +3, not Defense +3!) and just general lack of polish on information screens and tutorials (Min is smaller than no descriptor is smaller than L is smaller than M! Freezing gas is synthesizable but we don't display that indicator when viewing the Ice Bomb recipe even though we do it elsewhere! Returning to the atelier always transfers your basket contents to the container, so why bother asking if you want to transfer or not?). I guess it must just be the sheer number of changes in the game that did it, and the crazy short turnaround from Ayesha. Oh well.

Oh yeah, also, am I the only one who didn't know you could bust open barrels you encounter at gathering areas? Sometimes there's stuff in there that doesn't show up on the gatherable materials list!

Volcynika

Anyone recall where the Rough Disc or whatever is? I need some more to make music boxes!

EDIT: Also, what's the music track named when you're fighting (monster quest)
Saber
? So gooooooooood

Vylash

What traits do you guys have on your weapons?

I've got Attack Boost, Verdant Gold, and Fire Damage on Escha, Attack Reinforce, Steal Attack Power, and Attack Power +6 on Threia, and Fire Damage, Comet Attack, and Damage Absorb++ on Linca but I think I can do a lot better, does Escha have an equivalent to Rainbow Power?

macklelol

What traits do you guys have on your weapons?

I've got Attack Boost, Verdant Gold, and Fire Damage on Escha, Attack Reinforce, Steal Attack Power, and Attack Power +6 on Threia, and Fire Damage, Comet Attack, and Damage Absorb++ on Linca but I think I can do a lot better, does Escha have an equivalent to Rainbow Power?

Most of my weapons have Follow-Up Attack, Skill Reinforce, and something else on them. My Linca has a weapon with 4-God Attack, Damage Absorb++, and Follow-Up Attack, though. I guess 4-God Attack is the equivalent to Rainbow Power in this game.

ohlawd

Aurora Stones give the equivalent of Rainbow Power iirc. Inflicts all 4 elemental damage and their corresponding status ailment.

There's a bunch of skills that do the whole four element damage thing but you'll want to end up with 4 Gods Attack; the elemental damage gets buffed up more than the other properties. 4 Heavens Attack is inferior but still better than the rest.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My wife is enjoying the game, but had a couple of crashes today. One just kicked her out of the game and back to the XMB, the other crashed on a black loading screen. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a feeling our launch 20 GB PS3 is about to spit the bit.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah... sounds like the PS3 to me. I think I'll let my wife use my slim and then I'll see if I can get the fatty repaired. If not, I'll buy a super slim on Black Friday or something.

Jisgsaw

Most of my weapons have Follow-Up Attack, Skill Reinforce, and something else on them. My Linca has a weapon with 4-God Attack, Damage Absorb++, and Follow-Up Attack, though. I guess 4-God Attack is the equivalent to Rainbow Power in this game.

The equivalent of rainbow power would rather be Comet Attack.

Also, I think Comet Attack and 4-God/Heaven Attack actually do stack.

I've also gone with Comet Attack or 4-God Attack, Follow Attack, and a random other (Status Effect, Strength Effect, or Skill power increase Effect, depending on the person).
I have one exception with 4-God Attack + Comet Attack, and was surprised to see it did apparently stack. But well, my biggest damage output comes from Dual Draw II, and as 4-God/Comet Attack do not count in a follow attack, I didn't bother to redo all my weapons.

Yeah... sounds like the PS3 to me. I think I'll let my wife use my slim and then I'll see if I can get the fatty repaired. If not, I'll buy a super slim on Black Friday or something.

Yeah my old Fat PS3 gave me tons of issues like that before it finally went. Also having no problems with my slim PS3.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah my old Fat PS3 gave me tons of issues like that before it finally went. Also having no problems with my slim PS3.
She said it had some artifacts, that's what really worried me. I'll just take it to a shop to get repaired next month when I'm in the twin cities for Detour. And maybe I'll buy myself a PS4. I haven't decided.

ohlawd

The final boss is a fucking pile of horseshit.

spoilers concerning the boss
no, not the normal one but the hard version after breaking the honeycombs. I can beat the normal version with my eyes closed. Damn Guardian Fury sword attack or whatever. I was so close once but then she buffed up her elemental resists to 100 so any element only hits for 1 damage. And this is with me using Escha's Devil Pot for multiple turns so I can do 2-3 Double Draws in one turn with a high support gauge.

macklelol

Got a dragon's core with 4 gods attack on it, hope I get 2 more since I'd like it on Linca and Threia as well

You could just use Quantity skill during the synthesis, and use the extra weapons you get from that to get 4-God Attack to other weapons. A lot of weapons are part of the metal category, and some count as a jewel. Managed to get it on everyone's weapon except Lucille's this way.

ohlawd

Or you can clone it but it takes a lot of days.

Probably don't even need to do anything with that item if you just farm traits instead. I have so many Old Stones with that property.

Vylash

You could just use Quantity skill during the synthesis, and use the extra weapons you get from that to get 4-God Attack to other weapons. A lot of weapons are part of the metal category, and some count as a jewel. Managed to get it on everyone's weapon except Lucille's this way.

Right I could do that, need to find another one of those red flowers for Escha's though, pretty sure Nio won't be getting another one

ohlawd

Doesn't it say "soon" after you buy one from Nio meaning it'll restock?

I also vaguely remember buying more than one from her

Vylash

It's been "soon" for a long time, so I'm just assuming it's like that mushroom that Astrid has where it's just one

Volcynika

Oy, got a day or two less than a month to do the "equip 30 adventure items" task. Need to think of the quickest and most economical way to do that.

ohlawd

guess I'm mistaken about Nio restocking.

clone, clone, clone some Crafts or Healing Salves, depends on the amount of treats you have.

just a heads up that, you guessed it, a 50 search item task will come up. Don't throw those 1 slot items away.

Vylash

The encyclopedia tells me I can find the flower thing in the southern ruins and in the lab of eternity for some reason, but i've turned both places upside down and found nothing

The encyclopedia tells me I can find the flower thing in the southern ruins and in the lab of eternity for some reason, but i've turned both places upside down and found nothing

Mess around w/ Rare items and Plant Nutrients? Usually you see different items, especially if you use a plant nutrient.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

The flower that
Nio
sells for 10,000? I had a hard time finding that one too, only ever found 1 and had to buy the other. orz

Jisgsaw

It's been "soon" for a long time, so I'm just assuming it's like that mushroom that Astrid has where it's just one

It does restock, but I didn't count the days, must have been around a year.
But the easiest way is to just clone it with the homunclus as soon as you get one.

macklelol

How do you link finishing moves from support attacks? The tutorial for finishing moves says you can do it, but I don't know how.

Volcynika

How do you link finishing moves from support attacks? The tutorial for finishing moves says you can do it, but I don't know how.

You have to have enough support attacks in a row to get a high enough damage % (shown in the top right-ish I think) before those will be available. It'll say the move name for the person's selection.

ohlawd

No, I think he's asking for the special move (100% gauge) and linking it by support. I haven't done it myself, though. Does it not work at 200% like the special support attack?

It should be the best way to use your special as the damage is boosted during supporting as opposed to using it standalone.

Volcynika

So I'm now good to go on the extra assignments in the second term in Year 3. I'm now trying to figure out the most efficient way to do multiple things in a trip (especially when heading west), so much to plan out! Already got the homunculus to make me a couple more Dunkelheits for later at least.

ohlawd

Where is the Sky King Fossil?
final dungeon
go to the 4th area with the final honeycomb, get Rare Materials field event, run back to the 2nd area (the first area works too I think), use highest level Plant Nutrients and gather using Collection Sharing - rare. I don't know if Collection Sharing is required but I didn't get one without it so...

A high level Stong Foe drops it too, over lvl 80?

https://twitter.com/tecmokoeieurope/status/446252657792286720

Things are looking pretty good! Hope they can invest some more money in the localisation for the next one now. Just a bit more voiced dialouge for the dub and some more QA for the text and the games will be perfect.

Great to hear. I agree, some more proof-reading for the localization and it'll be prefect.

------------------------------------------------------------

BjFl-mrCIAEfvgj.jpg

Wonder what DLC we'll get first. (Before anyone complains, it came from K-T EU)

Tohsaka

There's kind of a huge difficulty spike near the end of the game. The game was a cakewalk the whole time until the
Grunvell boss in the Unexplored Ruins
and the two optional super bosses. I still have 340 days left or so, so luckily I have time left to get better gear.

Christhor

I'm thinking they'll probably just give us everything at the same time. But if they aren't, then Wilbell is definitely going to be in the first batch, in that recent livestream, Gust shared that her DLC was super popular. And I can see why, that's definitely the DLC I want the most.

Things are looking pretty good! Hope they can invest some more money in the localisation for the next one now. Just a bit more voiced dialouge for the dub and some more QA for the text and the games will be perfect.

Awesome. I agree with what you said too. I'd like some more english voices (and a small cut down in text/chit-chat lol). I'm glad Escha and Lodgy sound fine. I really didn't like Ayesha's english voice. :(

With some luck, hopefully the anime will bring in some additional sales as well. I have high hopes for the last Dusk game. :D

One critic I have with his game though, the beginning is really really really.... boring. Seriously, everybody is way too nice and formal, and nothing being talked about is interesting, and it felt like an hour before I finally saw the other opening, the world map, and entered battle.

But, once the tutorial stuff was over, yes, the game is awesome. I'm still early in the game so I just have three party members still, so no Mana Khemia awesomeness in battle yet, but I've heard one cool battle song and I find the new item system for consumables interesting.

And as for the DLC stuff... hopefully the enchanted witch will be on offer.

Just got this today, and I'm wondering how much it matters that I haven't played Ayesha?

Doesn't matter that much. This story is standalone, but they are some characters from Ayesha that appear in this game and naturally you'll miss some callbacks and stuff.

Only thing I'll let you know now is that Nio is Ayesha's sister. So if you hear Nio talking about her "sister" she is talking about Ayesha.

Zafir

Doesn't matter that much. This story is standalone, but they are some characters from Ayesha that appear in this game and naturally you'll miss some callbacks and stuff.

Only thing I'll let you know now is that Nio is Ayesha's sister. So if you hear Nio talking about her "sister" she is talking about Ayesha.
Ah right, fair enough, thanks.

Eusis

Hope that bodes well for the Atelier Rorona remake. Would like to have that whole trilogy be reasonably good, plus there's an absurd novelty in a same gen remake. Too bad packaging won't be consistent because of Sony's inane post-PS4 bar change though.

Great to hear. I agree, some more proof-reading for the localization and it'll be prefect.

------------------------------------------------------------

That's a really big delay between DLC and release. I remember the other Atelier games getting DLC within a month and release.

Clov

Hope that bodes well for the Atelier Rorona remake. Would like to have that whole trilogy be reasonably good, plus there's an absurd novelty in a same gen remake. Too bad packaging won't be consistent because of Sony's inane post-PS4 bar change though.

I hope it bodes well too. I never played the original Rorona (I started with Totori), so to play the missing part in that trilogy, with improved gameplay sounds great to me. The packaging isn't so much a concern to me, since if given the option I'd rather get the Vita version.

ohlawd

hah, we got MM/DD/YYYY plebs in here?

I don't think I'll bother with the DLC dungeon unless it gives uber equipment like in Meruru and even then that's a maybe.

Top Bottom