• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

I guess you forgot about the Passion of the Roman when Evolution beat the shit out of him with kendo sticks. Or the beat down from Rollins. Or when he lost in the first match with the Wyatts. Those things all happened this year, in the middle of his rise. It's weird how short term memory works with guys people don't like.

Click.

RBH

a_3544.jpg

Gorillaz

I know no one wants to say it but let's be honest, we all know why people here don't like Roman Reigns:

He isn't white.

I thought it was because he's the guy we all secretly wanted to be like, and we didn't like to bring it up

WIK3aJs.gif

He's "Morning Show" material friends, isn't this what you wanted?

I thought it was because he's the guy we all secretly wanted to be like, and we didn't like to bring it up

WIK3aJs.gif

He's "Morning Show" material friends, isn't this what you wanted?

No, they wanted their living breathing Troll Doll (daniel bryan) to be the face of the company despite him screwing up!

WIK3aJs.gif
It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to look at the posting history of Roman Reigns' loudest detractors and see the one common trait that their favorite wrestlers all share:

White skin.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whose cereal did Honma piss on, he loses every G1 match :(

Day 1 > Day 3 > Day 2 so far. Hyped for day 4

look at Reigns. i like him cause i bet his body won't completely shatter after taking a scoop slam, unlike the cunt.

and if Reigns does get injured, his obnoxious wife won't take up TV time in a shite feud.

God why are they so bad? I never really listened to Arcade Fire. They're really bad. Everything about them is bad.

The Suburbs is an era-defining album that was so beautiful the Grammys were forced to award it album of the year - an honor to which Axl Rose has never been bestowed. Put on your paper mache head and embrace the new generation.

arcade-gif.gif

look at Reigns. i like him cause i bet his body won't completely shatter after taking a scoop slam, unlike the cunt.

and if Reigns does get injured, his obnoxious wife won't take up TV time in a shite feud.
I agree with you except for your last point. McMahon-Bella has that big fight feel.

whose cereal did Honma piss on, he loses every G1 match :(

Honma's never been used as much more than an undercard jobber - he's a lot like Ishii who, up until last year's G1, wasn't given much time to shine. Honma wasn't even going to be in the tournament this year until Ibushi got injured, but he has been receiving a bigger push of late and he's slowly won the fans over and become something of a cult favourite, in spite of years of jobbing

To put in to perspective just how much he loses, out of his 104 singles matches from his 10 years in New Japan he's won just 37, but 20 of those victories were against rookies.

Zee-Row

Banned
I just realized that on the NES Wrestlemania game , Andre the Giant's theme is Vince Mcmahon's "Stand Back" song. It was kind of hard to tell in 8-bit.

Showaddy

Honma is going to blow the roof off when he eventually get's a win. Those pops he was getting in that Fale match were insane.

Honma's never been used as much more than an undercard jobber - he's a lot like Ishii who, up until last year's G1, wasn't given much time to shine. Honma wasn't even going to be in the tournament this year until Ibushi got injured, but he has been receiving a bigger push of late and he's slowly won the fans over and become something of a cult favourite, in spite of years of jobbing

To put in to perspective just how much he loses, out of his 104 singles matches from his 10 years in New Japan he's won just 37, but 20 of those victories were against rookies.
I kind of hope Ishii gets one last big push tho. Winning the NEVER title was a great moment

Honma is going to blow the roof off when he eventually get's a win. Those pops he was getting in that Fale match were insane.

Seriously, I hope the crowd's ready in Yokohama, because I'm pretty sure he's going to get that win against Shelton on Day 11.

I kind of hope Ishii gets one last big push tho. Winning the NEVER title was a great moment

I think they're far from done with Ishii, I could easily see him making a run for the Intercontinental title or winning tag team gold in the next year or so.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

he seems to be crazy over tho. here's a question, how many people are in those arenas? they seem empty but I cant tell if its just because its so dark

Seriously, I hope the crowd's ready in Yokohama, because I'm pretty sure he's going to get that win against Shelton on Day 11.

I think they're far from done with Ishii, I could easily see him making a run for the Intercontinental title or winning tag team gold in the next year or so.

Depending on how long the CHAOS/BULLET CLUB feud goes on, I could definitely see Ishii going after either.

Watchin a random episode of SmackDown (09.11.03 - http://network.wwe.com/video/v34583905)

John Cena vs. Eddie Guererro in a Parkin Lot Brawl is an entertaining spectacle.

bl2qH7m.png

But before they started the match, Cena did a rap. Ugh, every John Cena "rap" that I've seen (I didn't watch back then) is so homophobic. It's gross. I bet Cena's embarrassed and ashamed looking back at those.

zychi

Banned
But before they started the match, Cena did a rap. Ugh, every John Cena "rap" that I've seen (I didn't watch back then) is so homophobic. It's gross. I bet Cena's embarrassed and ashamed looking back at those.

His raps NOW are homophobic. It's just the terrible person he is.

strobogo

Banned
The Suburbs is an era-defining album that was so beautiful the Grammys were forced to award it album of the year - an honor to which Axl Rose has never been bestowed. Put on your paper mache head and embrace the new generation.

arcade-gif.gif

I think just about everyone can agree that AFD not winning SOMETHING at the 1988 Grammys was bananas. At the very least it should have been rock album of the year. Or GNR winning best new artist. Shit is as ridiculous as Jethro Tull beating Metallica out for metal album of the year.

Aye yo Viktor, *shimmy shimmy*, PREACH. Made me laugh hard.

Is Russo secretly booking wwe as well?

**The Jack Swagger vs. Rusev Flag Match for SummerSlam has officially been added to the show on August 17th in Los Angeles.

dream

Unfortunately for WWE, logic and reality have not matched up -- the number of paid users for the network, which the company announced Thursday, is stunningly disappointing.

When the network launched, WWE forecast that it would have 1 million subscribers in the United States by the end of the year. In April, just 42 days after launching, it had 667,287. In reality, however, the total was disappointing -- the period covered included the largest PPV event of the year, Wrestlemania.

Ordering Wrestlemania alone on traditional PPV costs roughly the same as a six-month subscription to WWE Network. The pricing should have made the hundreds of thousands of casual fans who buy only Wrestlemania sign up for the network. Instead, nearly 400,000 customers ordered Wrestlemania through their cable providers. That would be OK for WWE if those customers kept buying PPVs in the old way, but that has not been the case.

The company last week did not break down PPV sales between the U.S., where the network is available, and the rest of the world, where it isn't. But it did provide worldwide totals. Globally , WrestleMania did 690,000 buys, Extreme Rules did 108,000, Payback did 67,000, and Money in the Bank did 122,000. Those are huge drops from 2013, when WrestleMania did 1.1 million buys, Extreme Rules did 245,000, Payback did 198,000, and Money in the Bank did 223,000.

Those drops would be fine if the network was making up the difference, but it's not. During the same July 31 call, the company said it had 700,000 subscribers at the end of June. That's an increase of only 33,000 subscribers since April. While the original 667,000 subscribers more than made up for the revenue drop due to losing 410,000 Mania buys, the added 33,000 customers does not begin to cover the revenue drop from losing roughly 370,000 buys on the next three PPVs.

It's actually worse than that
The 700,000 number makes it very unlikely the company will reach 1 million U.S. subscribers by January. WWE first reported numbers on April 7, so the new number covers a little under three months, making the growth rate around 10,000 new customers a month. That would leave the company at 760,000 come January, but the actual number could be far worse.

Network subscriptions are supposed to be for a six-month minimum. That was enacted to stop people from singing up for a month to watch a certain PPV, then canceling. But people have found a way around that. Between April 7 and June 30, the network added 161,000 subscribers, but had 128,000 cancellations.

That should theoretically have been impossible, but customers found creative ways to skirt the rules, like stopping PayPal payments or canceling their credit cards. If people are willing to go to that length to get out of their commitment, what will happen in September when it comes time for people to renew?

It's hard to see the launch of the WWE Network as anything other than a disaster

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/08/03/wwe-network-numbers-out-whole-company-at-risk.aspx

he seems to be crazy over tho. here's a question, how many people are in those arenas? they seem empty but I cant tell if its just because its so dark

It's just because it's dark, New Japan's doing great business at the moment. Today's show, for instance, was sold out with 7,000 fans in the building. Day 1 was another sell-out with 6,000 fans, while the shows in between have all been sold-out at 2,000 - 3,000 or so, depending on the building. The final night of the tournament is at Seibu Dome, the first time a wrestling show has been held there - it holds over 30,000, so it'll be interesting to see how full New Japan can get it.

Never dabbled with Japan wrestling. Is the g1 tournament on tonight? How can I watch

Day 9 starts in 10 hours, details in the OP;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857302

Also, here's the best matches so far;

Day 1 - Tanahashi vs Honma, Nakamura vs Shibata, Okada vs Styles
Day 2 - Kojima vs Ishii, Yano vs Styles, Okada vs Tenzan
Day 3 - Goto vs Suzuki, Tanahashi vs Kojima, Okada vs Makabe
Day 4 - Honma vs Ishii, Nagata vs Nakamura, Naito vs Styles, Okada vs Anderson, Tanahashi vs Shibata
Day 5 - Goto vs Styles, Nakamura vs Honma, Okada vs Naito
Day 6 - Kojima vs Shibata, Goto vs Anderson, Tenzan vs Styles, Tanahashi vs Ishii
Day 7 - Tenzan vs Goto, Makabe vs Naito, Styles vs Suzuki, Nagata vs Shibata, Nakamura vs Ishii
Day 8 - Goto vs Naito, Styles vs Archer, Makabe vs Suzuki, Shibata vs Honma, Tanahashi vs Nakamura

I just checked Alan4L's twitter and saw this bit of trivia regarding today's G1 main event:
"Hiroshi Tanahashi won with the Leg Roll Clutch Hold to honor the late great Karl Gotch who would've turned 90 today."

Pretty cool.

strobogo

Banned
I'm weeks behind on NXT and just now catching up.

Things I like:

Tyson Kidd's FACT heel turn FACT
Justin Gabriel tagging along
Sami Zayn having something to do again
The Kidd/Gabriel vs Sami/Nevelle match
Dame division still fun. Ready for Sasha to sneak in and take the title from both Charlotte and Summer.
Breeze's finger injury

Things I don't like:

Commentary when Regal isn't there
Tyson's gear. Looks like dog shit. So cheap. Especially that vest that doesn't fit him at all
Nattie around all the time
Bull Dempsy
Ascension

Things that I can't decide if I like or dislike:

AYE YO, VIKTOR. *SHIMMY SHIMMY* PREACH

It's just because it's dark, New Japan's doing great business at the moment. Today's show, for instance, was sold out with 7,000 fans in the building. Day 1 was another sell-out with 6,000 fans, while the shows in between have all been sold-out at 2,000 - 3,000 or so, depending on the building. The final night of the tournament is at Seibu Dome, the first time a wrestling show has been held there - it holds over 30,000, so it'll be interesting to see how full New Japan can get it.

Day 9 starts in 10 hours, details in the OP;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857302

Also, here's the best matches so far;

Day 1 - Tanahashi vs Honma, Nakamura vs Shibata, Okada vs Styles
Day 2 - Kojima vs Ishii, Yano vs Styles, Okada vs Tenzan
Day 3 - Goto vs Suzuki, Tanahashi vs Kojima, Okada vs Makabe
Day 4 - Honma vs Ishii, Nagata vs Nakamura, Naito vs Styles, Okada vs Anderson, Tanahashi vs Shibata
Day 5 - Goto vs Styles, Nakamura vs Honma, Okada vs Naito
Day 6 - Kojima vs Shibata, Goto vs Anderson, Tenzan vs Styles, Tanahashi vs Ishii
Day 7 - Tenzan vs Goto, Makabe vs Naito, Styles vs Suzuki, Nagata vs Shibata, Nakamura vs Ishii
Day 8 - Goto vs Naito, Styles vs Archer, Makabe vs Suzuki, Shibata vs Honma, Tanahashi vs Nakamura
Kinda weird day 8 hasn't gone up, he (original Bonski) is usually pretty punctual

I'm weeks behind on NXT and just now catching up.

Things I like:

Tyson Kidd's FACT heel turn FACT
Justin Gabriel tagging along
Sami Zayn having something to do again
The Kidd/Gabriel vs Sami/Nevelle match
Dame division still fun. Ready for Sasha to sneak in and take the title from both Charlotte and Summer.
Breeze's finger injury

Things I don't like:

Commentary when Regal isn't there
Tyson's gear. Looks like dog shit. So cheap. Especially that vest that doesn't fit him at all
Nattie around all the time
Bull Dempsy
Ascension

Things that I can't decide if I like or dislike:

AYE YO, VIKTOR. *SHIMMY SHIMMY* PREACH

i still have to see that Bull character.

i still have to see that Bull character.

I wouldn't go out of your way to do so, dude doesn't have the look, doesn't have any presence - he's not entirely terrible on the stick and seems fine in the ring, but it just isn't clicking for whatever reason. He's meant to be this tough, menacing dude, but just look at this shit;

KuCIg8k.png

When I first saw Bull Dempsey I thought he was one of those local jobbers just there to be crushed in 10 seconds, oh how I wish that had been the case.

Byron Saxton is underrated as a heel announcer. The way he stammers out an exasperated "bu-bu-bu-but" or "y-y-y-yyeah" when he wants to correct the face announcer is so good.

When I first saw Bull Dempsey I thought he was one of those local jobbers just there to be crushed in 10 seconds, oh how I wish that had been the case.
I thought he was their Barry Horowitz. The announcers' selling of how good he was seemed so ridiculous considering what he looks like. A few minutes in, I figured out they weren't being sarcastic.

I wouldn't go out of your way to do so, dude doesn't have the look, doesn't have any presence - he's not entirely terrible on the stick and seems fine in the ring, but it just isn't clicking for whatever reason. He's meant to be this tough, menacing dude, but just look at this shit;

KuCIg8k.png

HOLY SHIT!!!

he's like some shitty, bootleg version of Sylvester Terkay:

file_271923_3_Terkay.jpg

and Terkay was baaaaaaaaaaaad.

JavyOO7

His ring gear doesn't make him look flattering at all. But it is a developmental show though, so hopefully he gets a ring gear make over soon. Becky Lynch started dancing on her way to the ring when she first came out on NXT TV, but now this past week she came out to an inspired rock song. No dancing either, from what I remember.

Top Bottom