• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

All those were done with the idea to make people look like they were botches.
I haven't seen the spots yet, but was it done where it looked dangerous but really wasn't or they just straight up did two dangerous spots that they made look like accidents?

Edit: Just read Monsoon's post, good to hear.

Foggy

The piledriver that missed the table and then Naito falling face first into the ring post?

Rewatch it. He spaces it so his left leg hits the table and his right hand catches the rail. Prior to the move both Naito and Omega push the rail to make room.

2nd spot, Naito probaly shouldn't have hit it that hard, but I wouldn't call it a botch. Unless you mean the ddt, then yeah what Monsoon said.

He didn't fall onto the ring post, he fell onto the padding, it was a spot.

Not that spot. When they were both up on the top rope setting something up and they slip, Naito knocks his face into the metal part of the post, Kenny looks at him concerned for a second. Right before the reverse rana from the top rope I think.

If people are saying that's how the piledriver was planned, guess I got worked.

Edit: And Monsoon cleared up the ring post, I'm a mark. Feels great to get worked in 2017. G1 for life.

Gabe doing that is making me really angry. The flu has hit me hard this morning which may be adding to my anger but that seriously pisses me off.

Puts the crowd in danger, puts the workers in danger and all the while acting exactly like a protege of master carny Paul Heyman would.

Fuck him.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
"Botch" 1. Notice how both Naito and Kenny adjust the guard rail before doing the spot to make room for them to fall down there.

giphy.gif

EDIT: Looking at it more, one of the Young Lions is behind them holding the guard rail in place too.

Foggy

Not that spot. When they were both up on the top rope setting something up and they slip, Naito knocks his face into the metal part of the post, Kenny looks at him concerned for a second. Right before the reverse rana from the top rope I think.

Edit: And Monsoon cleared up the ring post, I'm a mark. Feels great to get worked in 2017. G1 for life.

The piledriver spot was still pretty damn weird. At first glance it looks like a botch and any time there's a worked botch(or however it's termed) it never really works. The conjecture over whether it's a spot or a botch needlessly overshadows it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I think this is the spot you're talking about:

giphy.gif

Looks like it was all shoulder, but it was a close enough call that Kenny checked on him.

Foggy

Looking at Sinatar's gif though, it does look like Naito stumbles and loses his footing because of the cloth. Could just be that the railing was a token precaution.

Fuck if I know. I'm just a lowly mark.

i just fucking love king booker he and sharmell ran with that gimmick so amazingly well

edit: lmao this entrance is just sharmell shouting ALL HAIL KING BOOKER fifty times

I haven't caught the finals of G1 yet but am curious about Dave's comment on Okada/ Omega. Judging by first two matches, I still wouldn't give Flair/Steamboat the edge overall. I think what made Flair / Steamboat so memorable was the chemistry while their three matches still laid out a lot of the same spots. The chemistry and passion were there but I wouldn't say the matches comes close to what Okada and Omega did in their first two bouts. Imho of course

Anth0ny

They were mostly protected that's what makes them awesome spots because they look dangerous and impactful as fuck. Power of illusion through team work.

Is this the evolution of pro wrestling? Working the smarks into thinking it was a botch when it was a work the entire time?

We're all stuck in 2017, Kenny's in 3017.

I wonder how Okada Naito at WK will be.

I wonder what the result will be.

I know what the result will be.

Also pray for Golden Lovers for World Tag League.

As I said last night, I'm guessing that Tommy Dreamer passed along the recommendation for the building to Gabe since House of Hardcore regularly runs this building. serenewarfare said that he (?) bailed on the show before the main event because of the heat, and I know of at least two people who fainted during the show. I was starting to nod off during Thatcher vs. Dijak from the heat and dehydration, and I was definitely worn down by the semi-main. When Cooper got hurt, it basically put a capper on an evening that had deteriorated. I had a good time, but it didn't match expectations, and it's the second show PROGRESS has run in the US that's been marred with logistical problems. Not surprisingly, it's also the second show they've run in conjunction with WWNLive.

They oversold the GA section to a dangerous level. There were people standing on each step of each staircase, and you had to go up the bleacher staircase to leave the building. In case of emergency, there were exits for the floor seats, but it could have been bad.

There was AC during the Evolve show, so I'm not sure if the AC broke or was just overwhelmed. The PROGRESS show probably had double the number of fans at the Evolve show.

It's odd that the Evolve show was delayed because they were waiting for EMTs, and then there were no EMTs for the PROGRESS show. However, they definitely had to call EMTs for Cooper and the fainted fans because there were two sets of ambulance lights visible outside the sealed shut windows of the ELMCOR center during the Travis Banks vs. British Strong Style match.

Contrary to the post, there was running water in the building. On the other hand, the floor of the bathroom, the merchandise area, and even the ground floor was damp. It wasn't slick to the point of slipping, but I definitely felt like I had to watch my steps.

Between the disastrous Style Battle show in the courtyard with the palm trees, the lack of improvement on Evolve's production, and the cheap-feeling roster, it doesn't feel like FloSports's money has improved Evolve's product in tangible ways. There was some new merchandise, but the laughable flyer about promoting wrestling from home in conjunction with Evolve and WWNLive seemed desperate in a way that a dying company would put out.

klonere and I discussed how the booking in Evolve's been really shaky this year, and it doesn't seem like Gabe is really paying attention. Maybe he's overstretched because he also has to run FIP and Style Battle for FloSlam. But Evolve is coasting on match quality, and I can get a lot of the matches that Evolve would push with Riddle, Lee, and Sabre elsewhere and better. The live experience, particularly at LaBoom, is still good enough that I'll probably still go, but Evolve's lost a lot of its shine in the past year.

Like 95% of the stuff reunited DX did was awful watching it now

but shit i was definitely loving it when it happened at the time

The 5% was at the beginning when HHH went looking for Shawn and found him working in a cafeteria, because they made a joke about Shawn's real name. From there it kind of sputtered because Shawn was kinda not into the act anymore on account of Jesus.

The 5% was at the beginning when HHH went looking for Shawn and found him working in a cafeteria, because they made a joke about Shawn's real name. From there it kind of sputtered because Shawn was kinda not into the act anymore on account of Jesus.
I didn't realize how much they pushed the whole rooster Vince gag thing but shit they made a shirt over it.

It's a shame that this business is full of carnies like Gabe.

It's carnyism that is dangerous.

At least Jarrett's carnyism is scamming people who would fall for a gold pyramid scheme and minor league baseball teams who would pay him to run sparsely attended Global Force Wrestling Impact shows in their stadiums.

You're putting too much thought into this friend

I know it must hurt since it's the first time you've ever had a thought, though *heel laughter*

Someone cancel the Silver Alert. We found Beef after he wandered out of his managed care home.

Another reason to dislike YOSHI-HASHI: the opening strings sound just enough like the beginning of the superior RPG Vice theme (RIP) that I get disappointed when it isn't RPG Vice.

Fox318

John Pollock burying Bayless was 6*
It was fucking incredible.

Bayless and people like him are part of the reason Trump is president. A media that cares more for being entertainment than providing insight and being honest. They stir conflict instead of trying to expose or educate.

Skip doesn't know anything about boxing and he needs to be frank with his audience.

If somebody asked you for advise on a pave maker you'd probably clarify you statement or say you need to talk to somebody else.

Instead people like skip fill the airwaves with shit. They try and connect the dots of every social problem like there is an appropriate analogy.

It was fucking incredible.

Bayless and people like him are part of the reason Trump is president. A media that cares more for being entertainment than providing insight and being honest. They stir conflict instead of trying to expose or educate.

Skip doesn't know anything about boxing and he needs to be frank with his audience.

If somebody asked you for advise on a pave maker you'd probably clarify you statement or say you need to talk to somebody else.

Instead people like skip fill the airwaves with shit. They try and connect the dots of every social problem like there is an appropriate analogy.

It took me a moment to realize that he wrote "Bayless" and not "Bayley."

Top Bottom