• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

somedevil

Imagine if they aired the MYC like a normal, sane company and the winner got to face Asuka at Takeover Brooklyn 3.

That might have been nice.

Even if they started airing after the taping the final wouldn't happen until after Summerslam. Plus Ember deserves the title match.

edit: Plus Roode has to face Strong now.

just reached the oil ocean stage; nvm Sonic Mania is worse than Trump

That act 2 boss is refusing to do business.

D80HkAV.gif

Hex

Banned
What I thought was totally going to be boring with the Global whatevers and Mundo doing their thing turned into such a great brawl

But Athena's more talented in ring than anybody in the WWE? I don't understand?

I don't mind Ember Moon beating Asuka, I just feel like it has dragged out so long it doesn't really matter anymore.

Like CM Punk's endless title streak finally ending to the Rock. Like sure, whatever just end it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't mind Ember Moon beating Asuka, I just feel like it has dragged out so long it doesn't really matter anymore.

Like CM Punk's endless title streak finally ending to the Rock. Like sure, whatever just end it.

Hasn't that been pretty much Asuka's entire reign?

DMczaf

Remember when Wrasslin games were system sellers?

I remember the hype for wrasslin games heading into the PS2/DC launches

"omg imagine what No Mercy 2 is gunna look like on the next Nintendo console?!!?!?"

:(

That's 100% Asuka. The only interesting part of her reign was when she had to cheat to win and they instantly dropped it.

I seriously think Embers short match vs Ruby a few weeks ago was better than anything Asuka's done vs anybody other than Ember throughout her reign, but maybe I'm nuts.

somedevil

That's 100% Asuka. The only interesting part of her reign was when she had to cheat to win and they instantly dropped it.

I seriously think Embers short match vs Ruby a few weeks ago was better than anything Asuka's done vs anybody other than Ember throughout her reign, but maybe I'm nuts.

Her match versus Nikki was great and she had a good match with Mickie.

I think part of that can be attributed to the fact that the talent kind of left as soon as Asuka got there. She got into NXT right after Charlotte, Sasha, and Becky left. So she was left to work with the Dana Brooke's and Nia Jax's of the world. Other than Bayley, who she didn't have bad matches with either, she's had great matches with pretty much every good talent she's faced. She had a great match with Emma, a pretty good match with Mickie that was hampered by the fact that you never once felt like she was going to lose, and great matches with Ember, Cross, and Ruby.

A lot of her reign suffered from not having chemistry with Bayley and arriving right after the women's talent exodus.

Draxal

Embers match vs Ruby was kinda bad.

Alot of spots with no flow at all.

Zach

My favourite wrestling game ever right here. Countless hours of four-player action.

AKI Man put on several 5 star classics in the DM Dome.

DMeltzer still talks about them to this day.

When my friends and I played Revenge we only had two banned characters because we thought they were OP.

Goldberg and AKI Man.
You are all formally invited to my home for some hot four-way action.

I think part of that can be attributed to the fact that the talent kind of left as soon as Asuka got there. She got into NXT right after Charlotte, Sasha, and Becky left. So she was left to work with the Dana Brooke's and Nia Jax's of the world. Other than Bayley, who she didn't have bad matches with either, she's had great matches with pretty much every good talent she's faced. She had a great match with Emma, a pretty good match with Mickie that was hampered by the fact that you never once felt like she was going to lose, and great matches with Ember, Cross, and Ruby.

A lot of her reign suffered from not having chemistry with Bayley and arriving right after the women's talent exodus.

The best thing about the NXT women's division is that people like Sasha went from being at a Dana Brooke level to putting on some of the top women's matches in the world. Asuka's put on good matches but they've not touched matches like Sasha/Becky or any of the Sasha/Bayley matches on a story/performance level. I'd even say that Bayley/Nia was more entertaining than anything Asuka's done. This is from somebody who's liked the finishes of Askua's more controversial matches, just nothing she's done outside of the Ember match has told a story beyond her nailing the Asuka Lock and winning.

As things stand I'd be way more exited for an Ember/Cross feud for the title if Ember wins on Sunday. If Nikki's supported by the rest of Sanity that will make it so much better.

MG310

It was a rough few months for the NXT women's division starting with those Sad Ember segments after the loss to Asuka.

Then Ember getting injured followed by more Sad Ember

Then that 3 way with Asuka/Nikki Cross/Ruby where everybody came out looking worse than when they went in.

The best thing about the NXT women's division is that people like Sasha went from being at a Dana Brooke level to putting on some of the top women's matches in the world. Asuka's put on good matches but they've not touched matches like Sasha/Becky or any of the Sasha/Bayley matches on a story/performance level. I'd even say that Bayley/Nia was more entertaining than anything Asuka's done. This is from somebody who's liked the finishes of Askua's more controversial matches, just nothing she's done outside of the Ember match has told a story beyond her nailing the Asuka Lock and winning.

As things stand I'd be way more exited for an Ember/Cross feud for the title if Ember wins on Sunday. If Nikki's supported by the rest of Sanity that will make it so much better.

The problem from a story department is that once Asuka's winning streak reached about a year (so after her rematch with Bayley) and you acknowledge that, you kind of have your hands tied on what kind of story you can tell. They tried the "legend returns to challenge" with Mickie, they tried the "odds are against her" storyline in both San Antonio and Chicago, and they tried the "undefeated challenger" bit with Ember. The stuff with Ember is what the audience took to, as they thought she could win. They didn't take to the other two approaches. Sometimes the story just doesn't take. And unfortunately, the Ember injury exacerbated the problem. I think her winning in Brooklyn was always the plan though. Triple H talked today about how he sees Brooklyn as the "finale of sorts" for the year in NXT, and everything after that is a new beginning. So Ember beating Asuka one year after her debut would be the finale of that year.

Sasha and Becky worked because they are both just really good. But Sasha and Bayley worked on the level it did because there was two years of a story leading into that match. It played a huge part in what made it what it was.

Becky or Charlotte better be in the title scene after Summerslam. But given the story being set up it's gonna go to Tamina or something.

Charlotte went from a star on Raw regularly main eventing Raw's and even a PPV, to doing absolutely fucking nothing on SD and it bothers me so much.

The problem from a story department is that once Asuka's winning streak reached about a year (so after her rematch with Bayley) and you acknowledge that, you kind of have your hands tied on what kind of story you can tell. They tried the "legend returns to challenge" with Mickie, they tried the "odds are against her" storyline in both San Antonio and Chicago, and they tried the "undefeated challenger" bit with Ember. The stuff with Ember is what the audience took to, as they thought she could win. They didn't take to the other two approaches. Sometimes the story just doesn't take. And unfortunately, the Ember injury exacerbated the problem. I think her winning in Brooklyn was always the plan though. Triple H talked today about how he sees Brooklyn as the "finale of sorts" for the year in NXT, and everything after that is a new beginning. So Ember beating Asuka one year after her debut would be the finale of that year.

Sasha and Becky worked because they are both just really good. But Sasha and Bayley worked on the level it did because there was two years of a story leading into that match. It played a huge part in what made it what it was.

Well put, I don't disagree with any of that. I just feel NXT's become a place to push outside talent above everybody else without thinking. In the early days you had a guy like Bo who was home grown and shitty vs Sami who was a great indie talent who finally got a chance to show he could be a great face outside of a dumb gimmick and both guys worked so well together. Sami could never get the better of this WWE guy but the mister NXT payoff was fantastic. Sami/Naville worked wonders because it was a matter of Adrian being pushed as a top talent but being willing to take shortcuts whilst Sami didn't. Then it went straight into his feud vs KO which was probably the best in NXT history.

Right now the show feels like it's nothing more than giving indie darlings boring as fuck Cena booking. Everything's "Hey, we have this top indie performed now so he's pushed into the main event and who gives a fuck about building characters!" Drew's just a guy who wins a lot, Bobby talks shit but always bulls it out, there's no development beyond that.

I just wish they could tell the kinds of stories G1 manages to build over a month over the course of half a year.

I mean Ohno vs Hideo was kind of interesting but apparently that's not even a thing?

Top Bottom