• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

Browny

Banned
I need to stop watching NXT in the morning.

Glorious is stuck in my head again.

Ciampa from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/ProjectCiampa/status/765953149307727873

Amazing.

I want to start singing it but that would be Roode.

ba_dum_tss_pirates_band_of_misfits.gif

Ithil

Naomi's new thing is goofy but it's something different at least to stand out. They've been shitting the bed on entrances for a long time on the main roster, even on good entrances transitioned from NXT.
Look at the Shield alumni, they all have the same "Superstar 02" CAW entrance.

Hey Boots, with the G1 all wrapped up and Meltzer dropping his ratings all over it, what was the best match, to you?

Probably the finals, crazy exciting match - it's hard for other matches to match the epic feel of the final ,though. Ishii vs Tanahashi came close, Ishii vs Okada was amazing as well. I really liked Okada vs Tanahashi, unsurprisingly, but it wasn't one of their best encounters.

jmdajr

You got people lying about being robbed is everything a work these days?

New York Times- Is Everything Wrestling?

This is partly because the rest of the world has caught up to wrestling’s ethos. With each passing year, more and more facets of popular culture become something like wrestling: a stage-managed “reality” in which scripted stories bleed freely into real events, with the blurry line between truth and untruth seeming to heighten, not lessen, the audience’s addiction to the melodrama

bjork

Man, WCW still had a lot of talent, even after the defection of Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko, and Saturn. If only Hogan, Hall, and Nash got the ax. And whoever is pushing Knobbs.

What is a WCW without the names you just listed?

Off the air.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Got a rare Summerslam Dana Brooke card in WWE Slam today. I'm happy. Gimme all the Big Momma Pump cards.

Barrage

Omega needs to pump his breaks a bit. He didnt have the best match of the G1, or even the best match against Okada (that goes to daddy Ishii).

I think the peak time for going over Lesnar has passed, and WWE are gonna have Orton win to try and get as much of the rub as theu can. At this point though, it's third hand rub. It's like having someone text you a description of a handjob.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When Orton is "on", he's fucking fantastic. He has so many little intricacies and nuance to his performance, he actually sells and wrestles (mostly) with psychology, and he knows how to break his promos up to throw off the "what" shit.

Orton is one of the best talents WWE has. Lots to pick apart and enjoy. He's put a lot of work into himself, and it shows.

klonere

Banned
Omega needs to pump his breaks a bit. He didnt have the best match of the G1, or even the best match against Okada (that goes to daddy Ishii).

I think the peak time for going over Lesnar has passed, and WWE are gonna have Orton win to try and get as much of the rub as theu can. At this point though, it's third hand rub. It's like having someone text you a description of a handjob.

...Omega wasn't in Okada's block.

And you could argue Omega/Naito was the match of the tourny t b h.

It seems to me that Orton basically just phones it in when he's in a storyline he thinks is stupid.

To be honest, post Legacy that has been the vast majority of his programs.

I don't think I've seen Randy Orton be entertaining.

His Intermittent Explosive Disorder promo opposite Steph was incredible.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I've seen Randy Orton be entertaining.

Highly recommend his (and Legacy's) feud with the McMahon family and Triple H in early 2009. One of my favorite things Orton did, and Ted DiBiase Jr and Cody were fantastic in it as well.

His Intermittent Explosive Disorder promo opposite Steph was incredible.

It was all SO good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That women's tag match on NXT was just I don't even know.

The MMA wrestler was interesting in concept and look, but didn't really do anything and it was weird having Nikki Storm out there under her real name since obviously she'll get rebranded at some point.

Edit: apparently they already rebranded her so its weird that they didn't mention it on the show (since I don't think the commentary is mostly live).

Never watched TNA, so the only things I know about them is what I read here. They sound like some of the least awful parts of it.

Also, weren't folks raving about Noam Dar prior to the CWC? What's the deal with that?
TNA has it's moments. I know it's not for everyone but at least they have the belts on the correct person(except X division one). Plus this 4 team tag team should be interesting tonight.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So it's finally time to talk about something that's been building for a long time rewatching 1999 WWF programming.

Despite how awesome the actual reveal is, Vince McMahon as the Higher Power is a completely bonkers and literally the worst possible choice. This is the most Russoriffic thing to happen in WWF by a long shot.

Let's go into the history of it to see why.

One day in late 1998 Undertaker decides to go full evil. He brings back Paul Bearer and starts kidnapping random superstars and turning them evil. He steals the Acolytes from the Jackal and has them kidnap Dennis Knight and Mabel turning them into Mideon and Viscera. It's also revealed that the Brood have been working for him the entire time. His goal with his evil ministry? To get Vince to sign over the WWF to him and his "Higher Power" and to get Undertaker a Satanic Bride.

At the same time Vince has consolidated his power behind his Corporation. Shamrock, Test, Big Boss Man, Kane, Shane, The Corporate Champion The Rock, and eventually HHH and Chyna, and who can forget the Mean Street Posse? So they are mainly about keeping the belt on the Rock and off of Mankind and Austin. They screw Austin out of the Royal Rumble but mess up at the finish line and let him get the belt at Wrestlemania. Vince is distracted in those last few weeks by Undertaker trying to steal his daughter Stephanie. This distraction leads to Shane taking over the Corporation and kicking Vince out, plus all of his supporters like Shamrock and the Stooges. Eventually it is revealed that Shane is the one behind the abduction attempts and he merges the corporation and the ministry on the pilot episode of Smackdown and helps The Undertaker beat SCSA at Over the Edge 1999, a PPV remembered for something else entirely. Meanwhile other figures like Big Show and Mankind actually do help Stephanie and end up sort of aligned with Vince in a new Union to stop the Corporate Ministry...for all of two weeks as then they reveal the higher power to be Vince all Along. Vince...who helped Austin retain the belt at Backlash. Vince...who kidnapped his own daughter. Vince, who let his henchmen and himself get seriously beat up week in and week out.

Now if the story had stopped with Shane being the higher power, it would have been fine. The ultimate power play. Distract the old man by kidnapping his daughter. Take over his group with this outside one.

Now if the story had been Stephanie or Linda making a power play, that also could have worked. Maybe Steph really did want to be in control and set up a fake kidnapping, playing her brother against her dad. Maybe Linda was the real puppetmaster all along.

Jake the Snake? Sure. Eric Bischoff? Unlikely, but would have worked. Mankind? Maybe! Hogan? Macho Man? Ric Flair? Why not.

Vince...I mean come on. He screwed over himself for months just to...get revenge on Austin? When he could have screwed him weeks ago at Backlash? He pretended to be a good guy only to be a bad guy for no gain?

Zach

So it's finally time to talk about something that's been building for a long time rewatching 1999 WWF programming.

Despite how awesome the actual reveal is, Vince McMahon as the Higher Power is a completely bonkers and literally the worst possible choice. This is the most Russoriffic thing to happen in WWF by a long shot.

I don't even need to continue reading. You're right. It was dumb and it sucked.

Top Bottom