• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT2| What? It's almost September.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Because the actual in ring wrestling isn't good for most of 1997.

And the angles in 2000 were mostly piss poor/forgettable no matter how many Angle or Benoit matches were in them. Who hit Austin with Foley was a moronic angle that dragged on too long, Undertaker was in the middle of his worst gimmick of all time, DX and all of its members was bloated and took up WAY too much of the tv time.

strobogo

Banned
1997 WWF is the best year ever. Period. Somehow even better than 1995.

And both had Savio Vega!

i8auTi9AJ0prj.gif

BHZ Mayor

This is gonna sound very silly, but is The Rock still technically Rocky Maivia in canon? Hear me out. He was called by 'The Rock' a few times pre-Nation as a nickname for Rocky Maivia, and he was still called by 'Rocky Maivia' for a bit after officially becoming 'The Rock'. Also, his chants are 'Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!' and he acknowledges that as chanting his name.

Carnby

Monday Night Wars episode 2 was literally the NWO dvd.

Also, I don't think it's 100% biased. They did show high lites of 1996 Raw which included The Goon Vs The Stalker. Oi vey.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is gonna sound very silly, but is The Rock still technically Rocky Maivia in canon? Hear me out. He was called by 'The Rock' a few times pre-Nation as a nickname for Rocky Maivia, and he was still called by 'Rocky Maivia' for a bit after officially becoming 'The Rock'. Also, his chants are 'Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!' and he acknowledges that as chanting his name.

Probably. Just like Stone Cold is still Steve Austin because he mentions '7 years of frustration and being pissed off' which is when he had his official 'Steve Austin' debut in 1990.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fuck I wish No Mercy had its sequel. The roster would have basically been as good as X8 or Here Comes the Pain and it would have been on the super AKI engine.

Carnby

Absolutely. Rocky became The Rock because of the Die Rocky Die chants. WWE has no problem acknowledging that.

Gonzalez

Banned
I made a Brock Lesnar CAW for No Mercy. I should go back to see how well my middle school self translated his moveset to the game.
Let me guess you gave him the TKO as his strong front grapple special, too.

Did you also make a Paul Heyman as well for Brock?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If there's one thing Spiders and I can agree on, it's that Stardom is the most fashion forward company in wrestling.
1YA_3356.jpg

Straps made to match their owners apparel.

Carnby

There are only two types of threads in OT. I say what they are, but then I'd be accused of it for even bringing it up.

Gonzalez

Banned
There are only two types of threads in OT. I say what they are, but then I'd be accused of it for even bringing it up.

"America, and all their white cops are evil racists", and "Do you think so, and so can play *insert Marvel character*". Yeah I know it's annoying.

It's like everyone in those threads are trying to top each other with one sentence concern posts("I'm not shocked", "That's horrible", etc).

Also sorry to tell you guys, but African-Americans, and Latinos(especially Latinos) can be racist too. I don't need Portland University to do research for that either.

Alucard

Banned
Neat photo of ACH after his match against Lethal.

ACH1.jpg

"Hello darkness, my old friend."

Don't you dare make a 'cism post, dudes.

Alucard

Banned
All this Amon Amarth talk has made me check out their website aaaand...they're coming to Montreal on October 11th. Tickets are $40, though. @_@ Not sure I wanna pay that.

Also discovered that they had a new album not too long ago that I haven't checked out yet. Cool.

Anth0ny

2000 is literally the best year of WWF wrestling. Barring WM2K which blows for some unexplained reason. If only X7 had happened a year earlier.

Absolutely. Crazy that they managed to fuck up Wrestlemania that year. Only singles match on the card was the womens match. Crazy.

If you skip Mania and pretend Backlash was that year's Mania, you basically have a year of flawless WWF PPVs. Dat main event.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's weird now when WWE talks about their 'struggle years' for gimmicks in their dvds and docs, they always show Damien Demento. Like, come on guys, quit selling yourself short. You have WAY more shitty gimmicks than just that one.

I can almost feel Vince nodding and going, 'Yep! That was the only shitty one alright!'
I was also thinking about reviewing pro wrestling tokusatsu once I was done with Thunder in Paradise
Azteckaiser-01-02.png

Raw – Jan 6 1997

Knickerbocker Arena, Albany New York

Main Event Vader vs Bret Hart

Show Opens with a Vader Promo about how he will beat Bret tonight.

Match #1 Owen Hart vs Mankind W/ Paul Bearer

Owen goes for the sharpshooter early but mankind reaches the ropes. Mankind is working over Owen's face in the corner with knees and fishhooks. Owen bites his hand to get out. They take the fight outside where Owen hits mankind with his slammy and His tag title belt. Some ECW chants here. Owen is working over mankind after a near fall. Whips him into the corner, goes for a running sholder but hits the post. Mankind hits a Pile Driver for the win.

Winner Mankind.

To the Back.: HBK is with Jose Lothario and his son Pete and talks about how he will be hurting Sid for what he did to Jose last week. Talks about not interfering in the main event.

Match #2: Fake Diesel and Fake Razor vs Doug Furnum and Phil Lafon.

Nothing good here. Fake dudes control the match. Phil Lafon has a pretty good hot tag. Phil Lafon seems pretty cool. Lafon and furnum hit their finish in Fake Razor

winners:Lafon and Furnum

To the Ring.

Jim Ross is in the Ring with the WWF Champion Sid. His music is playing for some reason in the background. Cut a SID promo about how he is the Ruler of Worlds, Born the Man and is a kick or be kicked world. HBK interurpts to it the commentary table. He is wearing a robe and does a little strip tease. Sid is pretty amused. Does commentary shirtless.

Main Event: Vader vs Bret Hart

Starts out with Vader Working Bret. Hits a second rope splash to Bret for a near fall. Vader goes for the Vader bomb but its blocked. Bret starts his comeback with an elbow drop and several slams. Vader and Bret take it outside when Sid comes out and tells the camera man to follow him. Meanwhile stone cold sneaks up and Gives Bret the Stunner while the ref is distracted by Vader. Vader hits the Vader Bomb for the Win.

He will face the undertaker at the rumble

To the Back.[/B:] Sid is with Pete Lothario and tells Shawn it shouldn’t have come to this. He the Power Bombs Pete onto a table. HBK runs tot he back where he attends to Pete vowing revenge on Sid.

See you next Week everybody![/QUOTE]

1-6-97%281%29.gif

1-6-97%283%29.gif

1-6-97%284%29.gif

1-6-97%286%29.gif

Idk, was Damien Demento the first of the New Generation in terms of those shitty gimmicks? He was a trailblazer in that regard
Also sorry to tell you guys, but African-Americans, and Latinos(especially Latinos) can be racist too. I don't need Portland University to do research for that either.

everybody knows that though, so i don't know how it's relevant to the current discussion. the discussion that isn't evening happening here, so i dunno why you're sorry to tell us!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's weird now when WWE talks about their 'struggle years' for gimmicks in their dvds and docs, they always show Damien Demento. Like, come on guys, quit selling yourself short. You have WAY more shitty gimmicks than just that one.

I can almost feel Vince nodding and going, 'Yep! That was the only shitty one alright!'

I wish they would stop shitting on Doink. I can't be the only one who marked for Doink.

Top Bottom