• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

Getting pretty hyped for E3 in a few weeks, then the following week No Man's Sky!

It sounds like a few usual exhibitors at E3 aren't really showing up to play, but I'm still really keen.

What are you guys looking forward to? Forza Horizon 3 sounds like a shoe in.

dity

Getting to the interview phase does seem to be a miracle right now. Even entry level jobs are getting more applicants than the recruitment staff can handle.

One thing you could do is to do mock interviews. There are places that do them and if you ask nicely, maybe you could get multiple runs at it. I don't know what's in your local are though, so see if anyone around does it.

Apart from that, I suppose getting hair cuts and shaving will only get you so far. The only way to become more employable-looking that you have any control over whatsoever (tall good looking people get jobs easier than the rest of us I'm afraid) would be to get ripped. It improves your posture, projects power and confidence and makes the men who see you subconsciously seek your approval and friendship. It doesn't hurt your first impressions on women either.

Easier said than done, of course.

A lot of that leadership nonsense they harp on about comes down to influencing to other people through their monkey brains. We're a flawed species with barely functional cognitive ability papered over with biological shortcuts with a patina of intellect stretched over the top. We like to think we're fair to everyone and always do the right thing, but the fact is we don't, so people fall through the cracks. If you know this and are in a position to do anything about it though, it might help to game the system.

Sorry for the non-advice.

Oh no, it's all good. You mentioned tall people too. I'm 5'7", you think maybe getting some shoes that increase my height a little might help better for first impressions?

As for mock interviews... it's not something I've considered before. We kinda did that way back in high school. Maybe someone provides that service here. If not, I guess I'm just gonna bank on luck.

Happy to see Youtube Red enabled in Oz. This is enough extra value to have me keep my google music sub going fter the trial runs out in a week.

omg seriously? I've been waiting for Red to become available for ages.

So how does YT red work exactly?

10 dollars for ad block? Are the original series worth a damn? I mean that's almost as much as I'm paying for Netflix. Do channels I watch get a cut at least?

10 dollars for ad block? Are the original series worth a damn? I mean that's almost as much as I'm paying for Netflix. Do channels I watch get a cut at least?
I can't see the point. But then, I don't see the point in watching a stream of a game with some twat talking over the top of it either.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
When do you get back in town? I'm planning to get my drink on at the Wheaty before the show

2ish. I could come drink. But if I'm drinking a lot imma need a place to leave my car and crash or sleep in my car.

Wait, I need to be there by 1830 for the meet and greet and I need all my faculties to touch the drummer's beard up. I'll ponder this and get back to you.

Quasar

Well adblock, some extra features like offline watching, audio only streaming, plus Google Play Music access. And that exclusive content....though given its all content from 'youtubers' I've not seen let alone heard of em. Well aside from pewdiepie, who I've at least heard of.

https://www.youtube.com/red

For me...adblock on top of the Google Play Music sub would be enough.

Finding work here is hard as fuck IMO. I just advertised a position for a Trades Assistant in a small country town and got over 60 applicants, some of whom are way way over qualified for it.

It's hard for me to offer advice as I've always thought luck/timing and networking were the two biggest factors in getting jobs. Every job I've gotten (including promotions IMO) have been due to being the right time at the right place with the right attitude.

When my son was born I was lucky enough to get into great casual employment, referred by a friend. That led to full time casual work with a eye on an actual full time job elsewhere in the company through networking. This ultimately fell through due to bad timing and then the casual work also dried up leaving me unemployed for a month or two.
At that point I stopped looking for jobs I wanted and more just jobs that seemed like they might pay enough to feed my family. It sucked. It still sucks. I hate my job. But I love my family. Not giving advice here, just venting tbh. I still feel very lucky to have gainful employment, I don't see myself shedding the imposter syndrome I've developed over the last few years.
I applied for lotssss of jobs and had quite a lot of interviews, this particular one I was really lucky and had great timing with. The position I wanted had a stronger applicant but an identical position in a remote location had literally zero applicants. The interviewer has happy to straight up recommend me for the position as they couldn't be bothered going through the hiring process down in the remote location as long as I was happy to move and take it. Since then I've moved up to the top of that office/contract/whatever through again what I'd describe as luck, timing and knowing the right people. All of which hinged on being competent and meeting expectations though of course.

So yeah, main thing I can recommend is to remain positive despite everything your brain tells you. The whole process is soul crushing so do what you can to stay sane.

--

In regards to interviews I definitely think everyone interviewed should get a call back and explanation why they didn't get the job.
I would also tell people upfront before asking them for an interview if it was an internal promotion, rude to waste their time unless they want the practice.
Even the people who apply and don't get an interview I make sure get a fairly automated response (recruitment system allows various reasons they didn't get an interview which is great).

--

Uncharted 4 was amazing. Everything I expected and wayyyyyy more. Took me about 13 hours taking fairly direct routes and ignoring collectibles.

Art and animation were GOAT. Insanely impressive to pull off on the PS4 with such a solid framerate and IQ. Animation in particular was insane, lot of handcrafted stuff going on I bet.

Music score was sublime, huge step up from the much pulpier previous ones. Ebbed and flowed really damn well with the gameplay sequences. Really well implemented.

Writing was as expect from UC2/TLoU team, as well as the amazing Tom Bissell. Easily blew away the previous games and like in those 2 games worked to both serve and elevate the gameplay. Loved loved loved the dialogue, the ending, the set pieces, all the writing was gold. Took the pulp nature of the series and gave it just enough weight to make it powerful but enough delight to remain true to the core of the series.

Level design was A+ with a lot of really well designed puzzles, intelligent set pieces, organic feeling funnels and finally some reallllly wide open areas to play in. The amount of options to move forward through were great and reminded me of their Jak days at points.

Gunplay and melee were improved a ton even though they took a backseat to adventure moreso than before in the series. The addition of the rope led to a lot of fun options at times while the standard cover shooter option was still a solid strategy to use if you felt like it.

Probably takes Uncharted 2's spot in my top 3 GOAT games. Keen to replay as soon as I get time, only area I'm disappointed in is the lack of unlockable joke models to play as! They went with serious ones this time while having a shitttttttttttttttttttttttt load of unlockable extras which was mindboggling. No donut Drake but you can use 20 different visual filter!?!

dity

The ad block works on the mobile apps and console apps too, which is why I subscribed. It's all about convenience for me.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
YPo0kfE.jpg

q2rfX6M.jpg

qh5suGy.jpg

Shanshan, JustWill and Holycheck Korean fried chicken and cider adventures!

MoonGred

What's the bar for a bad pie though, I presume you can't go lower than 7-11, and even those I find passable.

I've yet to had a pie where I gave up halfway through. When in doubt add more tomato sauce

What's the bar for a bad pie though, I presume you can't go lower than 7-11, and even those I find passable.

I've yet to had a pie where I gave up halfway through. When in doubt add more tomato sauce

If you're from Victoria the Magpies (AFL)...crickets

Four'n'twenty pies are pretty average TBH. For worst pies I would say the no name supermarket brands are pretty fucking horrible. Bakery pies FTW. I miss pies, since late last year I've been on a weight loss/health kick, no pies for me :(

MoonGred

If you're from Victoria the Magpies (AFL)...crickets

Four'n'twenty pies are pretty average TBH. For worst pies I would say the no name supermarket brands are pretty fucking horrible. Bakery pies FTW. I miss pies, since late last year I've been on a weight loss/health kick, no pies for me :(

First footy stab of the thread?

Truth be told I had forgotten about pies until I walked passed dinkum pies in Melbourne yesterday and had pie on my mind ever since.

dity

Ooh boy, I've had some bad meat pies and sausage rolls in my time.

Hate it when they stuff a sausage roll (talking about the pastry) full of carrot and onion. Like, fuck. Gimme the meat.

I grew up in a bakery/cake shop. Having made meat pies and sausage rolls for years, I can no longer eat them. Not that there's anything gross in them provided the meat is good and all but nope.

I love fruit pies now

In another sign of either encroaching senility on my part or the upcoming apocalpyse, I had to look up bae. Seriously, a second b isn't so hard to type when you want to say 'babe.'

also Danish for shit. okay then.

So I got an interview for a job in Canberra. It's a really good job too, but if I got it, it might be a little while before I can move the whole family there.

Anyone live in Canberra know about the sharehouse situation there? I might have to couch surf / share house for a while.

So I got an interview for a job in Canberra. It's a really good job too, but if I got it, it might be a little while before I can move the whole family there.

Anyone live in Canberra know about the sharehouse situation there? I might have to couch surf / share house for a while.

Markot? You might be wishing you still at the mines.

get the job first, worry about deets later.

Fuck pies that don't have meat in them. Fuck em.
No, fuck you.

I was never a big fruit-based dessert guy but pies with any combo of apple, cherry, raspberry or blueberries are great.

I dunno, I have horrible memories of eating a pie in primary school and little body tubes of some kind being in there. Turned me off pies for a few months :s

Shanshan, JustWill and Holycheck Korean fried chicken and cider adventures!
eyyy

Wow that really wasn't a very flattering picture of anyone was it.

come visit me in osaka

When do you leave exactly? I think I arrive with group A, so it'd be sweet if I could catch you !

Jintor

welllll i have to vacate my apartment on the 26th of july but i'm thinking of dicking around in japan until aug 20th or so

From the latest Humble Bundle, the Saints are Australia only, Dead Island maybe? Quote the one you'd like:

• Saint's Row 2
  • Saint's Row: The Third Complete...ish
  • Dead Island: GOTY

Steam keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom