• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Yay. Got my cat6 installed.

Now I need myself a couple of decent gigabit switches.

Whilst managed cisco switches running ios would be really cool, they are too expensive and too bulky.

Anyone have any brand suggestions. All I need is 4 and 8 port ones.

I have had netgear in the past, which were ok....

senahorse

Yay. Got my cat6 installed.

Now I need myself a couple of decent gigabit switches.

Whilst managed cisco switches running ios would be really cool, they are too expensive and too bulky.

Anyone have any brand suggestions. All I need is 4 and 8 port ones.

I have had netgear in the past, which were ok....

You can get a 24 port HP Procurve for about $250. Very low power and reliable, I have used one for the past 4 years.

I expect the prices of 1080's will drop over the next few weeks, price gouging always occurs at the start.

Dryk

Adelaide Zoo has been forced to close after would-be thieves blew up an ATM at the gift shop.

A security patrol found the front of the ATM on Plane Tree Drive had been badly damaged after responding to an alarm about 3:30am.

Explosives experts are examining the area and the zoo has been shut as bomb technicians investigate a red liquid on the ground.

Sergeant Phil Clague said it is believed the liquid is a modified and volatile substance that is used in the industrial sector with hardened plastics.

But he said the ATM was able to withstand the blast, and the culprits fled empty-handed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/atm-blown-up-forces-adelaide-zoo-closure/7450704

Cerity

Oh man, you're really going to look at Crossfire? If my last setup (5970+5850) taught me anything, it's that I spent more time fucking around with CFX profile settings than actually playing games.

Having said that, I'd probably buy another 280X if one comes along that's cheap enough :/ Glutton for punishment.

I had 3x 5870's in crossfire, that was fun. I found that if you generally don't care about day 1 support, the current crossfire (and sli) support works well enough.

290x's are going for $300 pretty regularly atm (heck I bought mine for that about 6 months ago), I figure if I need more power and they're about $200 why not.

senahorse

Only going single card this time around, after 2 780's in SLI, I think I will take a break from multi-gpu configurations. So many games from the past 2 years have been lacking or completely missing SLI support, I just don't see the value in it.

Baked
Vic

I am sure I have heard the words 'jacket potato' a few times but I would have just assumed it was a variety of potato and not a way of serving it.

Baked
VIC

NVIDIA + Aussie Dollar = FUCK YOU PAY ME

AMD need to pull their finger out and make NVIDIA humble again for the sake of consumers

700 usd FE card = 970 AUD + 10% GST = $1067. Factor in shipping and that's basically what it would cost to import assuming you were paying GST. By the time we have reliable stock we will probably have cheaper partner cards closer to the 599 USD pricetag, and it will probably be ~900 aud to import via Amazon.

Quasar

You can get a 24 port HP Procurve for about $250. Very low power and reliable, I have used one for the past 4 years.

Right. I had taken a look at their smart switches (the PS1810G) along with the Cisco SG200-08 and the Netgear GS108T. The HP was a bit pricy though....over 200$. And on newegg both the netgear and cisco had up to 20% 1star reviews.

Its been an exercise in frustration in part due to the lack of formal reviews. All I can mostly find is amazon/newegg comments which are less than ideal. And the Cisco one worried me a bit as its switching speed stat was less than the apparent standard of 2 Gbps per port.

MoonGred

700 usd FE card = 970 AUD + 10% GST = $1067. Factor in shipping and that's basically what it would cost to import assuming you were paying GST. By the time we have reliable stock we will probably have cheaper partner cards closer to the 599 USD pricetag, and it will probably be ~900 aud to import via Amazon.

It'll be interesting to see how well the 1080 sells in AU, the 980ti was sold out for a while if I recall correctly and they both seem to launch at the same price point. I dont know why, but there's something about the 1080 that rubs me the wrong way, getting a serious smoke and mirrors feeling. At least this takes a away the need to upgrade from my 980ti for a while longer until a new TI version comes out.

Wouldn't be surprised if we also see the 1070 launch for +-$700

Cerity

I reckon the 1080/1070 will be sold out for awhile, it's launching at a good time, people will be wanting to power their VR headsets and their 4k displays.

Card Boy

Banned
Never played the Overwatch beta and was pretty much on a media blackout up until release and i just bought the game. I saw some sniper gameplay and saw all DLC will be free with no season pass and was sold.

N0VAM0D

Jacket Potato or Baked Potato?
And the state you spent the majority of your youth (5-15) in.

Both! NSW

Started playing Uncharted 4 the other night and HOOOOOLY SHIT, so excited to get back to it, been a bit too busy, but wow ow owewowo. I'm enjoying it a lot. Also finished Firewatch in one whole sitting last week, absolutely loved it. I wish it was a bit longer, though, and that the climax was a bit less underwhelming. The journey itself though was just fantastic. Has anyone else played it and can recommend something similar? I'm craving that style of game.

Also, if anyone's interested, I wrote a lil article about Silverchair because it's been around 5 years since they went their separate ways.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Also, if anyone's interested, I wrote a lil article about Silverchair because it's been around 5 years since they went their separate ways.

Thanks for sharing. Good read.

I still haven't listened to John's solo stuff. I don't know why. I just can't bring myself to doing it.

Gillies 2005 release with the band Tambalane wa great. And worth a listen if you havent.

Also the fact that they played Israels Son in 2005 at waveaid is one of my favourite concert moments ever. Every gig of theirs i'd ever been to they never played it. And it's my fave. Seeing it live was so damn good.

Like they haven't played for 2 years and they fucking open like this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WW5ZzApf8Tg

Faaaaark.

KrisB

Never played the Overwatch beta and was pretty much on a media blackout up until release and i just bought the game. I saw some sniper gameplay and saw all DLC will be free with no season pass and was sold.

Just picked it up today and it's really good. Ran well even on my average connection, making my way through the different heroes now to work out my faves.

senahorse

Right. I had taken a look at their smart switches (the PS1810G) along with the Cisco SG200-08 and the Netgear GS108T. The HP was a bit pricy though....over 200$. And on newegg both the netgear and cisco had up to 20% 1star reviews.

Its been an exercise in frustration in part due to the lack of formal reviews. All I can mostly find is amazon/newegg comments which are less than ideal. And the Cisco one worried me a bit as its switching speed stat was less than the apparent standard of 2 Gbps per port.

Cheap Cisco, probably not Cisco, I think you will find it's rebadged Linksys or something else (though I think Cisco might have resold Linksys). Proper Cisco generally start around 1-2K, really overkill for the home situation. Also Cisco proper are power hogs, I could have brought home a 2960 or 3560 for free from work but the power usage is pretty insane (up to 200W in some cases). The HP seems to be line rate for switching, I usually get up to around 950Mbps (brochure says 48Gbps in total), not bad for Windows and the power rating is up to 30W. The model I have is a HP J9450A Procurve 1810G.

I know you said you want 8 port etc, but just throwing out what I use.

Just an aside I did roll with some D-Links at some point, they would never go over around 500Mbps.

Dimefan3

Baked Potato
VIC

So how is everyone's Saturday night?

Me, I'm currently watching the Watchmen, figured I need to catch up after reading Rebirth #1.

N0VAM0D

Thanks for sharing. Good read.

I still haven't listened to John's solo stuff. I don't know why. I just can't bring myself to doing it.

Gillies 2005 release with the band Tambalane wa great. And worth a listen if you havent.

Also the fact that they played Israels Son in 2005 at waveaid is one of my favourite concert moments ever. Every gig of theirs i'd ever been to they never played it. And it's my fave. Seeing it live was so damn good.

Like they haven't played for 2 years and they fucking open like this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WW5ZzApf8Tg

Faaaaark.

Thanks dude!

You should give it a listen, I personally think it's great, though people were super divided over it. He's an incredibly talented man either way!

I actually applied for a graphic design/media sorta job for the brand that Chris Joannou owns today, wish me luck!

Baked Potato
VIC

So how is everyone's Saturday night?

Me, I'm currently watching the Watchmen, figured I need to catch up after reading Rebirth #1.

That sounds damn good.

I'm going out tonight, because for the first time ever, I won something! I got a free express entry to a club, a $50 bar tab, and a meet and greet with Motez! Otherwise I'd be at home curled up by the fireplace. Fuck it's getting cold.

I don't post much about wrestling but holeyyyyyyy sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit there was a great match last night between Ricochet & Will Ospreay in Japan. Incredible athletic showcase executed with a ton of charisma. Ospreay is so damn young, he will end up bigger than Cena IMO. Go spend 15 minutes on it, give it a try.

Great movie.
Agreed. Best you could hope for adapting the material, aside from maybe the ending. Loved the casting and direction.

Also finished Firewatch in one whole sitting last week, absolutely loved it. I wish it was a bit longer, though, and that the climax was a bit less underwhelming. The journey itself though was just fantastic. Has anyone else played it and can recommend something similar? I'm craving that style of game.
I assume you already played Gone Home? It's a much simpler, IMO refined version of Firewatch.
Then you have Vanishing of Ethan Carter which is really excellent. You may also like Everybodys Gone to the Rapture, great atmosphere but the direction they took the gameplay and story delivery harmed the experience compared to those other titles IMO.

Quasar

Cheap Cisco, probably not Cisco, I think you will find it's rebadged Linksys or something else (though I think Cisco might have resold Linksys). Proper Cisco generally start around 1-2K, really overkill for the home situation. Also Cisco proper are power hogs, I could have brought home a 2960 or 3560 for free from work but the power usage is pretty insane (up to 200W in some cases). The HP seems to be line rate for switching, I usually get up to around 950Mbps (brochure says 48Gbps in total), not bad for Windows and the power rating is up to 30W. The model I have is a HP J9450A Procurve 1810G.

I know you said you want 8 port etc, but just throwing out what I use.

Just an aside I did roll with some D-Links at some point, they would never go over around 500Mbps.

Thats what I kind of figured with the cisco. And even a used proper cisco gigabit switch would be more than I'd want to spend.

As for the hp...my confusion seems to be all I can find even on the HP site just the regular 1810 and those are a mix of fast and gigabit ports.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/networking-switches/product-detail.html?oid=3963985#!tab=specs

And yeah. My concern with choosing a switch is that I wont get anything like the full speed. That and the maker is really lax at security updates. Which is why I'm skittish with say TP Link even though they seem to make some nice switches.

KrisB

I don't post much about wrestling but holeyyyyyyy sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit there was a great match last night between Ricochet & Will Ospreay in Japan. Incredible athletic showcase executed with a ton of charisma. Ospreay is so damn young, he will end up bigger than Cena IMO. Go spend 15 minutes on it, give it a try.

That bit at the 1:20 mark was awesome.

senahorse

Thats what I kind of figured with the cisco. And even a used proper cisco gigabit switch would be more than I'd want to spend.

As for the hp...my confusion seems to be all I can find even on the HP site just the regular 1810 and those are a mix of fast and gigabit ports.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/networking-switches/product-detail.html?oid=3963985#!tab=specs

And yeah. My concern with choosing a switch is that I wont get anything like the full speed. That and the maker is really lax at security updates. Which is why I'm skittish with say TP Link even though they seem to make some nice switches.

That's odd, looks like they might have stopped making them, here's one on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Procu...910677?hash=item2110457ed5:g:MrUAAOSwU1FXP-e3

N0VAM0D

I assume you already played Gone Home? It's a much simpler, IMO refined version of Firewatch.
Then you have Vanishing of Ethan Carter which is really excellent. You may also like Everybodys Gone to the Rapture, great atmosphere but the direction they took the gameplay and story delivery harmed the experience compared to those other titles IMO.

I actually haven't played it! So many games I haven't played this gen. Thanks so much!

Card Boy

Banned
Bought Dark Pit, Palutena, Inkling Girl and Olimar Amiibos for $4 each at Target today. What is wrong with me?! I don't even have a Wii U or n3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom