• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

So I'm enforcing in the classic gaming/pinball area from about 1:30-6:30pm each day of PAX, give or take.

Feel free to say hi or whatever. Doubt I'll be going to any pre-post events though, scheduling right now for me is tight :/

Clipper

Anyone want to do something for PAX on Thursday evening as well (with the main thing being Friday as stated above)? Board games? Drinks?

The apartment I have should be good for location for games, but I'm up for anything.

Had the day off today and took the dog for a walk down the shops and what do I run into on the way back about 200-250m from my house but a freshly completed NBN pit!

I had no idea they were even in the area.

I ate some new Shapes biscuits today.
Never again.
Not even once.

Had the day off today and took the dog for a walk down the shops and what do I run into on the way back about 200-250m from my house but a freshly completed NBN pit!

You should watch where you're going.

Yeah Shapes are forever on my shitlist for fucking with the flavour too much. Even if they go back to the old style (never see them here) I won't touch it. Fuck em. Dead to me.

I'll be in Melbourne tomorrow, I'm up for something Friday or Sunday nights. Got a wedding on Saturday unfortunately. Spending Thursday with the wife since I won't see her much during PAX days!

Axiom

Got a hotel much closer to the venue this time, and I've taken a day of annual leave just so I can relax the Monday

PAX should rock.

Jintor

is that where they bury australian fast internet

dextran

Hello Ausgaf. Is this a good place to ask about Melbourne? I am moving there soon and wanted to know if there are bad neighborhoods to avoid.

I have the usual wants - good for family, close to trams/trains for CBD.

I'm coming from SF so want to avoid places like Tenderloin, etc.

Also reading on internet about Apex gangs. Is this just internet exaggerations?

Hello Ausgaf. Is this a good place to ask about Melbourne? I am moving there soon and wanted to know if there are bad neighborhoods to avoid.

LOL. You'd have to be really unlucky to find anything like Tenderloin in Australian cities (areas like that do exist, but not usually close to the capital cities).

dextran

Just post where you are looking and we can tell you what to avoid. To be fair anywhere within 12km of the CBD is likely to be fine.

Yarraville and Collingwood
Been using the domain app to browse.
A crime map showed activity in Fitzroy spilling into Collingwood which is what led me to worry about crime.

South yarra looked nice but oh so expensive.

In terms of bad neighbourhoods just anywhere too far out is bad just because it's full of bogans. The worst crime in Melbourne is criminal gangs shooting other criminal gangs and young guys getting drunk and getting their punch on in the city early on a Sunday morning.
Either way crime is very low compared to the USA.
Try and live somewhere close to public transport.
Melbourne is a great city to live in however trying to watch NRL on tv is just about impossible as the local channel 9 would rather show Gilmore Girls re-runs than proper football.
Again I can't stress it enough, live near a train or tram line. It will make your life so much better and easier.

Omikron

In terms of bad neighbourhoods just anywhere too far out is bad just because it's full of bogans. The worst crime in Melbourne is criminal gangs shooting other criminal gangs and young guys getting drunk and getting their punch on in the city early on a Sunday morning.
Either way crime is very low compared to the USA.
Try and live somewhere close to public transport.
Melbourne is a great city to live in however trying to watch NRL on tv is just about impossible as the local channel 9 would rather show Gilmore Girls re-runs than proper football.
Again I can't stress it enough, live near a train or tram line. It will make your life so much better and easier.

Good advice re PT. Bad advice re football code. Just decide if you are going to be a Victory or City fan early.

You'll be fine with either tbh. Both are trendyish inner city suburbs, worst you are likely to run across is some junkies if you go wandering around at 1am. Nothing compared to the US. Yarraville was pretty working class but is/has just gone through gentrification so is probably a little more rough around the edges than Collingwood but probably more interesting, though the west is a little wilder than the east as a rule. Not sure about family living, but Melbourne is pretty green and there tend to be small parks around.

Paasei

Finally tried Vegimite this morning. Can't say I didn't like it, but it's something I'd have every day.
At least I did it right. Butter on toast and just a small amount of Vegimite.

Darren870

Been using the domain app to browse.
A crime map showed activity in Fitzroy spilling into Collingwood which is what led me to worry about crime.

South yarra looked nice but oh so expensive.

Fitzroy is fine too. Just your junkies keeping to themselves. I'm from the US and have lived in Brunswick since I moved here. Crime isn't even close to a comparison.

Avoid the Western suburbs like Sunshine and avoid the far South East like Dandenong.

Everything you listed is fine and very central, which also means very expensive.

Clipper

Finally tried Vegimite this morning. Can't say I didn't like it, but it's something I'd have every day.
Congrats, mate. You did indeed do it right, now just spell it right :p.

Vegemite :)

Oh, and it very well might grow on you ;)

Recreat3

That is exactly how you should eat it. Ita definitely an acquired taste but i think most people who instantly dismiss it are people who try it by the spoonful.

Darren870

I definitely put my Vegemite on by the spoonful. I don't know why, but I love it haha. Even Australians look at me like I am crazy.

If that's true, and you've never had vegemite before, maybe your best course would be to spread lightly.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ok people. I booked a table at the Munich south warf tomorrow which we have from 6-8pm for eating. 14 seats. After that we can just keep drinking etc.
Call me or just find us, if all else fails booking should be under cam

jambo

I put heaps of Vegemite on, most people at work recoil when they see it.

Crumpets + butter + Vegemite + sliced cheese = delicious breakfast.

Vegemite is fucked. Makes me ashamed to be an Australian.

Here, here. Can't stand the stuff myself.

is that where they bury australian fast internet

Looks like there is going to be a node nearby as well. A freshly laid slab with conduits with power and optical already in place. I have no idea what they look like though I imagine it's something like how David Pope draws Malcolm's top hat.

Recreat3

Hey guys, going to Sydney in a couple weeks with the misses and staying in Darling Habour. Any must sees?

Most places in darling harbour arent great to eat. Over priced and generally not great, aimed for tourists. if you want good places to eat then check out surry hills or newtown. Newtown is like an arty sort of vibe with lots of vegetarian/vegan restaurants but plenty for meat eaters aswell.

Yeh i like food. Check out the rocks aswell, nice for a few drinks. The glenmore hotel has a rooftop and has a pretty nice view of the harbour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom