• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

I dunno either. I think it's because Sleepy Dogs had a much better world compared to the Batman asylum. Or because in Sleepy Dogs enemies didn't fuckin slow mo fall to the ground while grabbing their heads with their god damn gigantic meat hands. And Batman was just fuckin flying all over the place in his combat, doing these gigantic leaps that were 1/4 cool and 3/4 distracting.

I'm going to put it down to the things outside the combat in Sleeping Dogs are far more interesting than Batman.

The combat in Streets of Rage 2 is more interesting than both batman and sleeping dogs.

Rezbit

Just started playing Yakuza 4 funnily enough! First time playing the series, seems pretty fun so far. So much talking though.

Jintor

I know I don't personally don't feel safe unless I can slide down a bannister firing dual pistols at mooks running in through a door

Deeku

Yakuza is pretty good for punchin' dudes. Fighting some guy in his office so you just pick up the coffee table or lounge and slam him with them. Even if the first four hours or so of Yakuza 3 are Go Home and Be a Family Man: The Video Game (which I also enjoyed and has its own appeal).
Oh god Y3 was such a draaaaag, had to force myself to play through it. Y3 marked the point where I started to kinda hate the series:/

ps i did appreciate your yakuza reference in that hostess-less world thread lol

Dead Man

Jumping back to the punching dudes thing for a second.

I think a lot of the appeal of the stuff in Sleeping Dogs is just how visceral and brutal it is. The visual and especially sound design of the fighting is really incredible and does really well to hide some little flaws it does have.

It also takes pretty much all of it's mechanical cues from Arkham Asylum/City so it's pretty dang good there. The progression of new moves all the time was also really awesome.

It is a little weird to me not liking AA/AC's combat but loving Sleeping Dogs, but I could totally see a stylistic/visual argument for it.

Sleeping Dogs is a lot more grounded, whereas when you really get those thugs spread out and you're Flying Freeflow Crit Kicking dudes across the room from eachother it can get very silly very quickly.
Sleeping dogs combat is way too repetitive, and long winded.

I love you guys. Please don't ever want us to downgrade our gun laws, I feel a hell of a lot more safe here after reading all these gun threads on NeoGAF.

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, I love the lack of gun culture in Australia, but until the US gets rid of its guns, I will almost always buy one if I live over there. It's weird, and probably just paranoid on my part.

But how can you be safe if you can't even protect your family against home intruders, terrorists and deer?

You need to watch out for those deer, in America they probably have guns too.

Hay guise.

]

2437309798.png

oh hai

But how can you be safe if you can't even protect your family against home intruders, terrorists and deer?
I have locks on the doors!

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, I love the lack of gun culture in Australia, but until the US gets rid of its guns, I will almost always buy one if I live over there. It's weird, and probably just paranoid on my part.
I can see that, and I would probably be the same. Knowing that the people walking next to me on the street have slung over their back an AR15 that would kill me in an instant would most likely stop me from moving my family, certainly my son at the least, to that place.

The worry was painful enough when the guy living in the unit behind us was abusive and I had to go to work, leaving my wife and son at home. If he owned a gun I would have moved us away from there without a doubt.

Dead Man

Jesus, I thought I had it rough.

2437362272.png

I can see that, and I would probably be the same. Knowing that the people walking next to me on the street have slung over their back an AR15 that would kill me in an instant would most likely stop me from moving my family, certainly my son at the least, to that place.

The worry was painful enough when the guy living in the unit behind us was abusive and I had to go to work, leaving my wife and son at home. If he owned a gun I would have moved us away from there without a doubt.

Yeah, it seems a bit of a catch 22, I can understand people buying guns because so many people have guns. I don't know what the solution is when they have that second amendment in place.

It needs to be repealed or radically reinterpreted by the courts.

Oh god Y3 was such a draaaaag, had to force myself to play through it. Y3 marked the point where I started to kinda hate the series:/

ps i did appreciate your yakuza reference in that hostess-less world thread lol

Y3 is actually the first I played in the series and while the pacing is pretty off and the orphanage stuff really stop and start to the actual action it was enough to get me in to the franchise and go out and buy the other games, and had its own charm at times.

Glad someone caught it.

But what if they shoot the locks?

That's a fair point, I did spend a little more than that. Though my goal was for a silent PC, as it's in our bedroom about 1M from my head. This is the build here if you're interested:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37851197&postcount=621

That looks pretty cool. But a bit small as it will be storage/media.

I know I would too, just because I could. Always wanted a handgun, looked into getting one over here but the paperwork/regulations etc put me off, which I suppose is a good thing.

Shaneus

Cricket? You've gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.
Hm, six runs!

PS. Have you watched that recently? Nostalgia aside (well, not completely...), but it's held up surprisingly well. The action isn't half-arsed, the story is actually coherent and not completely childlike and no corners were really cut. To be honest, I'm still surprised at how dark it was at the time considering it was basically made for 9-10 year olds.

Hm, six runs!

PS. Have you watched that recently? Nostalgia aside (well, not completely...), but it's held up surprisingly well. The action isn't half-arsed, the story is actually coherent and not completely childlike and no corners were really cut. To be honest, I'm still surprised at how dark it was at the time considering it was basically made for 9-10 year olds.

I have indeed. It's a nice melding of the comics and 87 cartoon that keeps a lot of the atmosphere of the Mirage stuff while incorporating some of the more light humour of the TV series. Really solid movie.

GoldenEye is awesome but you can really tell when they are using a stunt double on Blu Ray :/

Also the opening scene is still the best stunt moment in the whole serious. Even though it looks pretty low grade in terms of visual quality.

I do like how they took the series back to a Connery style movie though. Although his stuff did devolve into Moore quality stuff with the last 2 movies. :(

Jintor

I guess Brenna's taken to poking dmc fans with a stick. This is the second gaming journalism thing where I've known the person who wrote an... ill-conceived article :|

Yagharek

ROFL. But if you want to hit someone over the head, there is nothing better.

Mag torches are pretty spiffy. That way if it comes to it, you were investigating and needed a torch to see. A cricket bat will only ever be seen as expecting confrontation.

I guess Brenna's taken to poking dmc fans with a stick. This is the second gaming journalism thing where I've known the person who wrote an... ill-conceived article :|

If you know anyone at kotaku us, tell them to pull their fucking heads in.

But don't you see? The game not being an absolute turd that murders you on start-up is vindication against the fans that didn't like the direction the series was taking! Suck it haters! You have no schools, you have mechs!

Ignorance is bliss though.

Rewriting a few passages could make the article a lot clearer and more focused. As it stands it reads like a troll piece I could find by someone who enjoyed the game posting in the OT.

The idea behind it has merit, it just wasn't executed correctly.

Yagharek

I only know Kotaku AU folks. And by folks, I mean Serrels.

Just finished reading the DmC piece. What a shocker. Whomever wrote that comes across as if they are berating every fan of the series as a bunch of children for the transgressions of a few (double digits at most) sociopaths.

Someone needs to teach this writer about set theory, and how smaller groups can exist within larger groups. Take games journalists, for example. There is a small subset of them who can write and reason an argument. She is in the bubble sub-set of writers who cannot. Along with all of kotaku.

Jintor

Well, that's not entirely true. Brenna's written some pretty good stuff before. Just, let's say, not in this instance.

The ration of notorious gaming journalists v well-regarded gaming journos seems broadly out of whack.

Yagharek

Well, that's not entirely true. Brenna's written some pretty good stuff before. Just, let's say, not in this instance.

The ration of notorious gaming journalists v well-regarded gaming journos seems broadly out of whack.

That's a bad piece of writing, no matter which way you cut it. There's an argument to be made, but she has clearly gone on a rant that is both misdirected and hostile. It's genuinely kotaku level rubbish.

If I was the writing-about-games type, the argument I would make would be about how the game was pre-emptively and prematurely judged harshly on the basis of the developer's previous output. Obviously (assuming reviews can be trusted) the game has a lot of merit in its favour, and it will be interesting if the critical reception can overcome the year and a bit of malaise and hostility towards the project.

Instead, she decided to call gamers a bunch of small-dicked manchildren with sociopathic tendencies because a couple of wingnuts decided to send nasty letters to Ninja Theory.

I can only go by the evidence in front of me, but Brenna is a bad writer and a bad thinker if that is what passes for valued commentary in games journalism these days.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

More poor form 'journalism' for poor form journalists who expose their lack of inhibition and composition when dealing with typically hyperbolic fanboy/girl rubbish in a medium they're invested in. It's sad to see it happen because there's quite literally nothing respectful or noble about the work produce. It's just fucking lame and childish.

We're all a little bit fanboy/girl at heart when it comes to certain topics, but I like to think good gaming journalism is growing up and leaving that shit to non-professional discussion.

Yagharek

We're all a little bit fanboy/girl at heart when it comes to certain topics, but I like to think good gaming journalism is growing up and leaving that shit to non-professional discussion.

I'd like to think so too, but on balance of recent evidence, it's hard to show why.

Thanks for Holying the place up, guys. Article was fine right up until the very end, then went of the rails pretty fast. I presume she riled herself up in the process of writing and sent it before giving it time and reading back over it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd like to think so too, but on balance of recent evidence, it's hard to show why.

A group of fans in uproar, justified or not, over a reboot of their favourite franchise by another developer is not news worthy unless they do something that warrants news reporting. It's not a topic to be discussed beyond internet squabbling because it doesn't matter.

I can't read it as anything other than a deliberately provocative article, and that makes me sad.

Well this too, which I think is equally stupid.

Yagharek

A group of fans in uproar, justified or not, over a reboot of their favourite franchise by another developer is not news worthy unless they do something that warrants news reporting. It's not a topic to be discussed beyond internet squabbling because it doesn't matter.

Exactly. It's a non issue that has been turned into a pointless article blaming everyone for a problem that doesn't exist. It's pure click-bait. And seemingly working.

Jintor

The Bioware thing last year, that was worth talking about. The fan dissent was massive, organised, and in light of ME's previous near universal acclaim definitely a significant mis-step both for the franchise and for Bioware as a whole. This, though... this seemed like a completely pointless article.

You don't change peoples minds with the sword, you do it with the brain.

The Bioware thing last year, that was worth talking about. The fan dissent was massive, organised, and in light of ME's previous near universal acclaim definitely a significant mis-step both for the franchise and for Bioware as a whole. This, though... this seemed like a completely pointless article.

At least with the ME3 thing it resulted in Bioware actually taking the feedback and trying to make it constructive.

Which, I contend without playing DmC yet, Ninja Theory & Capcpom have done the same and really would have been a MUCH better angle to write a "I TOLD YOU SO" article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom