• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Bioware thing last year, that was worth talking about. The fan dissent was massive, organised, and in light of ME's previous near universal acclaim definitely a significant mis-step both for the franchise and for Bioware as a whole. This, though... this seemed like a completely pointless article.

See yeah, that was actual news, because there was a huge controversy and movement behind it. Even if that movement could be considered unjustified, it was a movement none the less. Stuff happened, and so that stuff is worth investigating and reporting.

There's no news here. Just stupid.

Yagharek

Don't worry guys, new consoles launching soon, so expect lots of quality reporting over things that matter.

I'm sure there will be enough problems to be ignored for three years before any of them get reported on.

See yeah, that was actual news, because there was a huge controversy and movement behind it. Even if that movement could be considered unjustified, it was a movement none the less. Stuff happened, and so that stuff is worth investigating and reporting.

There's no news here. Just stupid.

The actual news was how a game got so highly rated and yet had such a vastly different critical response from the paying customers. Incidentally, the bigger news story was Skyrim PS3 a few month prior. Games journalists/critics really dropped the ball big time on that one.

Shaneus

A group of fans in uproar, justified or not, over a reboot of their favourite franchise by another developer is not news worthy unless they do something that warrants news reporting. It's not a topic to be discussed beyond internet squabbling because it doesn't matter.
I can't wait for the scathing, topical article once Rising comes out! Oooh boy.

At least with the ME3 thing it resulted in Bioware actually taking the feedback and trying to make it constructive.

Which, I contend without playing DmC yet, Ninja Theory & Capcpom have done the same and really would have been a MUCH better angle to write a "I TOLD YOU SO" article.
Done the same... as in, screwed the franchise (or at least drastically changed the ideas behind it)
Oh similar topic (but from a far more uninformed perspective) is the game getting good reviews because of the new direction or in spite of it? Because I really want to buy it if it'll run at a million FPS on my PC.

Yagharek

Nah, it'll just be the same old tired schtick unimaginative hack games journalists have been writing for the past six years. "Japanese gaming is dying" or some inane variant thereof.

The articles write themselves. The journalists just add their own hubris to the mix.

ok so after like a fucking hour i registered a domain*
who do you guys use to host and whats it cost you
i plan on using it to maybe host video but thats all yet to be worked out
also would i need to pay for hosting for something exactly like this
speaking of which does anyone want to draw me a picture for it?
with godaddy

Omikron

with godaddy

I use hostmonster.

Fuck the haters, Goldeneye soundtrack is awesome. Westwood totally ripped it off for C&C.

Done the same... as in, screwed the franchise (or at least drastically changed the ideas behind it)
Oh similar topic (but from a far more uninformed perspective) is the game getting good reviews because of the new direction or in spite of it? Because I really want to buy it if it'll run at a million FPS on my PC.

Rising is a spinoff while the main series is getting 2 more entries! There won't be any complaining about Rising.

DmC seems to have a great gameplay system in its own right, different to the old games. Funnily enough the atmosphere and writing don't seem to measure up, which is odd since that was what I found decent about Enslaved and Heavenly Sword (and found the gameplay medicore in both).

The actual news was how a game got so highly rated and yet had such a vastly different critical response from the paying customers. Incidentally, the bigger news story was Skyrim PS3 a few month prior. Games journalists/critics really dropped the ball big time on that one.
ibGyNYsvk9Vbl.gif
Never forget.

Yagharek

DmC seems to have a great gameplay system in its own right, different to the old games. Funnily enough the atmosphere and writing don't seem to measure up, which is odd since that was what I found decent about Enslaved and Heavenly Sword (and found the gameplay medicore in both).

Out of interest, what do you find mediocre about Enslaved? To me, it was mediocre for the exact same reasons as another game.

I use Dreamhost. They're OK if you don't have lofty expectations. I host about 4 domains through one account for $160 year (hosting only) and they're fine.

I liked Enslaved, but I don't usually like that sort of game.

HMV has been about to go into administration for a few weeks now, most people who would have used gift cards will have already used them or have heard about the high profile issues they have been having. Not all though :(

Out of interest, what do you find mediocre about Enslaved? To me, it was mediocre for the exact same reasons as another game.

It felt unneeded. I can see a parallel being drawn to the Uncharted games in a negative fashion. I just felt like I would have preferred to watch it as a short film rather than play it.

The gameplay felt like a mix of POP2008, Jak 1 & something actiony (kinda God of War but not really, hard to explain). It was okay.

The back and forth between the characters, along with the world they inhabited, though were great and made me play it all the way to the end.

Goldeneye

Movie - 4/5 Still awesome, great direction, great fun script
Transfer - 4/5 Pretty good, didn't notice anything bad, clarity in shadows meant the first reveal could be seen before mark was hit :/

Oh and the Dalton's!

The Living Daylights

Movie - 4.5/5
Transfer - 4.5/5 Better than expected!

Licence to Kill

Movie - 4/5
Transfer - 4/5

The correct answer was linear platforming!

I very much expected Uncharted or Prince of Persia 2008 :)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww shit son! Play Asia sale changeover.

AAI Miles Edgeworth in the house for $21 on DS delivered region free!

Also the Etrian Odyssey games 1/2/3 are $26 delivered region free on the DS each

Also some Pokemon titles that are US region, may or may not work on PAL units, seem to work on JPN hardware.

Salazar

The federal government has condemned Opposition spokesman for indigenous health Andrew Laming for posting "inflammatory" comments about racial tensions in Queensland.
Dr Laming made the remarks on Twitter on Monday night, after clashes between Aboriginal and Pacific Islander communities escalated at Logan, south of Brisbane, and saw the riot squad called in.

The MP for Bowman tweeted: "Mobs tearing up Logan. Did any of them do a day's work today, or was it business as usual and welfare on tap?"

In early 2011, Dr Laming prepared a list of tips for elected members on how to interact with voters on Twitter and Facebook.

His three-page handbook warned MPs against social media missteps. On his website, he describes himself as ''Australia's most innovative user of social media in politics''.

What a massive cunt.

hamchan

Django Unchained is probably the best movie I've seen in the past year. Got me re-watching all of Tarantino's past films. If I see like a super Tarantino blu-ray collection I'll probably buy it.

Django Unchained is probably the best movie I've seen in the past year. Got me re-watching all of Tarantino's past films. If I see like a super Tarantino blu-ray collection I'll probably buy it.

Very true. The moment I finished watching Django, I popped in Inglorious Basterds. Needed some more of Christoph Waltz' fine, fine acting.

Fogz

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww shit son! Play Asia sale changeover.

AAI Miles Edgeworth in the house for $21 on DS delivered region free!

Also the Etrian Odyssey games 1/2/3 are $26 delivered region free on the DS each

Also some Pokemon titles that are US region, may or may not work on PAL units, seem to work on JPN hardware.

Jumping on AAI! :)

with godaddy
I use nixihost

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
:|

AusGAF I want to get a tablet or a laptop because my $200 i got-it-from-the-post-office thingy is prettttty shit

what's good

budget is poor uni student level

And what are you using it for?

Cheap good tablet - Nexus 7
Cheap good laptop - No fucking idea cause they aren't really cheap.

Jintor

And what are you using it for?

Cheap good tablet - Nexus 7
Cheap good laptop - No fucking idea cause they aren't really cheap.

Probably just your standard web browsing/note taking combo.

If the tablet's good enough I'll adjust to note taking on a virtual keyboard

senahorse

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has assured religious groups they will have the ''freedom'' under a new rights bill to discriminate against homosexuals and others they deem sinners, according to the head of the Australian Christian Lobby.
Under current law, faith-based organisations, including schools and hospitals, can refuse to hire those they view as sinners if they consider it ''is necessary to avoid injury to the religious sensitivities of adherents of that religion''.
Ms Gillard has met Australian Christian Lobby managing director Jim Wallace several times, and he says she assured him ''she has no intention of restricting freedom of religion'' when it comes to religious groups' legal rights to discriminate in hiring and firing.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/opi...hts-to-stay-20130115-2crma.html#ixzz2I5WxjIX8

A win for religion, what a glorious day!

Jintor

I'm not really fussed about android gaming, more smooth video playback, general internet browsing, note-taking, that kind of thing.

Can't... really quantify the budget other than I am going to be buying like probably 500 bucks worth of textbooks this semester and that's going to kick me in the nads

Clipper

Shame AAI2 is never going come out in english.:(

I just did some research into this. Apparently the fan translation project has completed case 1 and the patch for that case will be released any day now, once they iron out one or two remaining compatibility issues with certain methods of playing the game. Woo!

I'm not really fussed about android gaming, more smooth video playback, general internet browsing, note-taking, that kind of thing.
Nexus 7 will be fine in that case, unless you're planning on doing a lot of typing on it, then you really need something with a real keyboard.

Chromebook is probably a good choice.

Fredescu

A Nexus 7 for anything other than consumption sounds like an exercise in frustration. I would check out the Galaxy Note 10.1 if a stylus floats your boat. Otherwise there are plenty of cheap small Windows laptops that will be good enough.

http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=10558
http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=9999

etc

Chromebook seriously sounds like shit. Don't understand that recommendation at all, especially for a uni student. See: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413771,00.asp

jambo

Can't... really quantify the budget other than I am going to be buying like probably 500 bucks worth of textbooks this semester and that's going to kick me in the nads

Surface!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom