• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Nah, five or six years ago now. Probably forgotten more than I learned about it!
You lucky bastard.

Having said that, it's gotten a little better now that we're actually working on shit that's somewhat relevant to my job role. But the start of the course (coupled with the fact that I completely forgot my ADHD meds, meaning information retention basically = 0%) was some gruelling stuff.

51%2ByqCOR53L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
What's happenin', hotstuff?

Omikron

I should start up the developer defence force. I think devs quite often get raw end of both sticks and end up in no win situations. But whatever. Bugs etc.

Developers get paid cash money by consumers. Consumer Defense Force assembleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm not convinced her axing was anything other than a politically convenient course of action.
Katter had a comment on The Project along the lines of, "I don't care what happens with Gaynor one way or another" and everyone tore the fuck out of him lol

He should have just said, "They have been stood down today. Simple as that. Lets now talk about the issue at hand that led to me being in the district of Wannon the day before she made the comment etc etc Farmer Power bullshit blah blah blah".

Did you end up getting the GoD one? I missed it, but I'll sling you some cash for your disc copy if you like.
Yarp, if I'm up that way soon I'll sling it to you, otherwise I'll dump it in the mail. The bro-in-law still needs to borrow it off me soonish.

Yagharek

So I just saw the Nintendo Direct thingy.

amekbv.gif

Haven't seen a 'holy shit I can see my house from here' moment like that since Crackdown. Immense sense of scale.

Shaneus

Remember when Molly Ringwald was the right stuff? Me neither but I did like that movie when I was a young teen, wonder how it holds up.
I do (but only barely, I was only a youngin' at the time) but the movie itself is still pretty funny. Not sure if it's because of nostalgia or not, though :/

Yarp, if I'm up that way soon I'll sling it to you, otherwise I'll dump it in the mail. The bro-in-law still needs to borrow it off me soonish.
Right on! I'm obviously in no hurry, so do whatever needs to be done, my friend :)

So I just saw the Nintendo Direct thingy.

amekbv.gif

Haven't seen a 'holy shit I can see my house from here' moment like that since Crackdown. Immense sense of scale.
What is that?

Yagharek

That does look nice, was it realtime, ie not a typical bullshot trailer?

If you look closely you can see a prompt to enter the mech in the centre of the frame, so I can only assume in-game. Most of the trailer looks Xenobladish in terms of menu, scale and animation sooooo....

Shaneus - it's X, a Wii U game by the Xenoblade developers.

Another shot, this time of armour plated dinosaurs.

datscalexlqf1.gif

Fuck, fuck, fuck. Cast-iron will breaking.

jambo

To be honest the world doesn't look that big.

When the mech starts moving forward the mountain/rock thing to the right moves pretty quickly. It's like in Skyrim, the world looks big until you start moving. Then you realise it's at about 1:2 scale.

If you look closely you can see a prompt to enter the mech in the centre of the frame, so I can only assume in-game. Most of the trailer looks Xenobladish in terms of menu, scale and animation sooooo....

My main worry is Vertical Slice. I am fairly certain the game will rock balls once it is out but I lived through Killzone e3 2005, so Imma hold my bodily fluids until something more comes out in the coming months/years.

Yagharek

My main worry is Vertical Slice. I am fairly certain the game will rock balls once it is out but I lived through Killzone e3 2005, so Imma hold my bodily fluids until something more comes out in the coming months/years.

The main concern in a game that big (assuming Xenoblade scale) is number of interesting things to do. At this stage, we only have developer pedigree to go on. Guerilla had none back in 2005/06 so faith in KZ2 was unjustified. Conversely, KZ4 would be a safe bet to look visually stunning now they have proven themselves to be technical whizzes.

I think its fair to be confident in Monolith to deliver something impressive in scale, and the combat looks like Xenoblade which was great.

jambo

Hopefully the end game is a little brighter. That entire environment is pretty much brown, grey and faded dark green.

Stupid brown filters these days.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
KZ2 had nothing going for it except it looked pretty and was nice ammunition in the then next-gen pissing contest. X has the backing of a dev team that produced one of the best games on the Wii. I don't so much care for how X looks as how it plays, which I'm sure will be great.

Dead Man

Shaneus - it's X, a Wii U game by the Xenoblade developers.

Another shot, this time of armour plated dinosaurs.

datscalexlqf1.gif

Fuck, fuck, fuck. Cast-iron will breaking.

Oh. That looks less interesting now. I was hoping for some good 3rd person mech action, not a score fest.

Yagharek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccade

I think this is a bit of related background reading as to why it fucks with your perception.

Specifically:

Spatial updating
When a visual stimulus is seen before a saccade, subjects are still able to make another saccade back to that image, even if it is no longer visible. This shows that the brain is somehow able to take into account the intervening eye movement. It is thought that the brain does this by temporarily recording a copy of the command for the eye movement, and comparing this to the remembered image of the target. This is called spatial updating. Neurophysiologists who have recorded from cortical areas for saccades during spatial updating have found that memory related signals get remapped during each saccade.
[edit]Trans-saccadic perception
It is also thought that perceptual memory is updated during saccades so that information gathered across fixations can be compared and synthesized. However, the entire visual image is not updated during each saccade, only 3–4 features or objects if they are attended to. Some scientists believe that this is the same as visual working memory, but as in spatial updating the eye movement has to be accounted for. The process of retaining information across a saccade is called trans-saccadic memory and the process of integrating information from more than one fixation is called trans-saccadic integration.

There's a tiny exhibition in the tunnel at MONA in hobart leading away from the poo factory that demonstrates this. You only notice it because you see words on the wall at the end of the tunnel in red lights, but if you look directly at it there is nothing there.

Oh. That looks less interesting now. I was hoping for some good 3rd person mech action, not a score fest.

Those are hit points for damage, not score.

Dead Man

Those are hit points for damage, not score.

Yeah, all the same to me in my jaded cynical phase of life. I just can't get into games with realistic looking graphics that have numbers and shit popping up all over the place, it just gives me a headache.

I'm sure the game will be great, it just won't be for me.

Dead Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccade

I think this is a bit of related background reading as to why it fucks with your perception.

Specifically:

There's a tiny exhibition in the tunnel at MONA in hobart leading away from the poo factory that demonstrates this. You only notice it because you see words on the wall at the end of the tunnel in red lights, but if you look directly at it there is nothing there.

Shit, should have replied to your whole post. I've seen that illusion before, but never read about this, cool shit, thanks.

Yagharek

Yeah, all the same to me in my jaded cynical phase of life. I just can't get into games with realistic looking graphics that have numbers and shit popping up all over the place, it just gives me a headache.

I'm sure the game will be great, it just won't be for me.

I guess the issue is the lack of a visual feedback method for showing damage in RPGs. A game like Final Fantasy 7 kind of handled this by having some enemy robots or whatever lose limbs, but that was really a way of 'changing forms' during an elongated battle.

Maybe what you're after (in the context of this sort of game) is say, a hypothetical Monster Hunter with gashes and blood and limb loss when you cut them over and over.

I fucking love numbers, chicks dig numbers.

Hold out for a special X edition WiiU!

I'm still holding out for a matte edition, price drop, battery upgrade and more stable OS. By which time comparisons with Orbis will be available.

Dat blue

Dat purple/red

:D

DAT LCD. DAT PLATINUM

Shit, should have replied to your whole post. I've seen that illusion before, but never read about this, cool shit, thanks.

I might be wrong, my wife knows more about this stuff but I think it's related. Don't take it as truth though.

w101 is wow

It's the most interesting game on the system to date.

Dead Man

I guess the issue is the lack of a visual feedback method for showing damage in RPGs. A game like Final Fantasy 7 kind of handled this by having some enemy robots or whatever lose limbs, but that was really a way of 'changing forms' during an elongated battle.

Maybe what you're after (in the context of this sort of game) is say, a hypothetical Monster Hunter with gashes and blood and limb loss when you cut them over and over.
Yeah. Hell, I don't mind little static life bars like Oblivion, just rapidly changing hud elements like those make my old man brain hurt.
I might be wrong, my wife knows more about this stuff but I think it's related. Don't take it as truth though.
No, it makes sense that it would be related to short circuiting of the recognition scan we do.

Check PM Rep.

Last night someone dumped 20 garbage bags full of green waste on the empty lot next to my house. Cheeky buggers had the nerve to stack them up right next to my wall (don't have a fence yet) and lined them up like sandbags so wouldn't look like a dumping job.

They must have done it late last night because I was out till 1am. I didn't even see them until I got back home today. Called the council, they said they can't do anything unless it's on the nature strip. So now there are 20 garbage bags full of moist mulch on the adjoining block. Yay for spiders!!!

Dead Man

Check PM Rep.

Last night someone dumped 20 garbage bags full of green waste on the empty lot next to my house. Cheeky buggers had the nerve to stack them up right next to my wall (don't have a fence yet) and lined them up like sandbags so wouldn't;t look like a dumping job.

They must have done it late last night because I was out till 1am. I didn't even see them until I got back home today. Called the council, they said they can't do anything unless it on the nature strip. So now there are 20 garbage bags full moist mulch on the adjoining block. Yay for spiders!!!

Move it to the nature strip.

Check PM Rep.

Last night someone dumped 20 garbage bags full of green waste on the empty lot next to my house. Cheeky buggers had the nerve to stack them up right next to my wall (don't have a fence yet) and lined them up like sandbags so wouldn't look like a dumping job.

They must have done it late last night because I was out till 1am. I didn't even see them until I got back home today. Called the council, they said they can't do anything unless it on the nature strip. So now there are 20 garbage bags full moist mulch on the adjoining block. Yay for spiders!!!

Move it to the nature strip.

lol yep. Fuck the council if they aren't going to give a shit. Is there grass growing on the vacant block? Once it gets to a certain length you can complain to the council and they have to force the owner to get it cut due to fire hazard/snake hazard.

Also awesome!

Yagharek

Oh god, Ive become addicted to watching Seinfeld repeats on Go.

In the episode just finished, Kramer and Newman bought some black market showerheads and opted for the one used in circuses in Yugoslavia for hosing down elephants. "You dont want that one" the seller says.

Final scene shows him getting blasted out of the tub.

It really is the *perfect* show.

That's what I told the council guy. I said I'll move them on to the nature strip so you can remove them. He told me if I did that, they would charge me for the removal :/

Council doesn't care what happens on private land.

I did move them into the center of the empty plot and piled them up; looks like a massive poop taken by a dinosaur.

In the episode just finished, Kramer and Newman bought some black market showerheads and opted for the one used in circuses in Yugoslavia for hosing down elephants. "You dont want that one" the seller says.

Thank me later

Yagharek

That's what I told the council guy. I said I'll move them on to the nature strip so you can remove them. He told me if I did that, they would charge me for the removal :/

Council doesn't care what happens on private land.

I did move them into the center of the empty plot and piled them up; looks like a massive poop taken by a dinosaur.

Move them onto the roads and let Vic Roads deal with it.

SQUEEEEEEEE!

jambo

You should check it out on 7Mate, they have them in HD, sourced from the original film stock, just like Friends on GEM.

jambo

Is it 4:3 cropped to 16:9 or were the originals filmed in 16:9 and cropped to 4:3 for oldtimey sets?

Friends and Seinfeld were both shot on 35mm.

When they went back to the original prints, they widened out the scan, but I think they may have chopped a tiny bit off the top.

It looks fucking phenomenal though.

YA6JJKq.jpg

QPVtFyy.jpg

QD2KDnw.jpg

hSd6qpI.jpg

Friends and Seinfeld were both shot on 35mm.

When they went back to the original prints, they widened out the scan, but I think they may have chopped a tiny bit off the top.

It looks fucking phenomenal though.
Bloody hell, you're not wrong. Thanks for the answer :)

Wait what? Seinfeld was shot on film? All of it? Bloody hell...

Still got a $5 coupon for Amazon? It's raining Steamkeys up in here!
Looks like it works multiple times, since I used it on XCOM and now it shows up as a discount for Max Payne 3.

Chucked a bit of a hissy fit at XCOM tonight, nearly uninstalled it for pulling a load of bullshit on me, so maybe I'll get some shooty bang bang for the long weekend.

jambo

I just had a look through a bunch of other scenes and it looks like a lot of the time the only lost data is on the bottom. If there's something at the bottom they'll cut it from the top instead.

They were going to do that with Star Trek as well, but unfortunately almost every single shot from the original film has rigging and lighting in the far left and right. They didn't want to crop the top and bottom, so it stays at 4:3

Wait what? Seinfeld was shot on film? All of it? Bloody hell...

So much money was being thrown around with those shows, so they used film.

Yagharek

Speaking of $2.50, the prices for upgrading VC games on Wii to Wii U are now available in Aus.

People who have already purchased the Wii version of a certain NES or Super NES Virtual Console game and transferred it to their Wii U console can buy the enhanced Wii U version of the same game for the reduced price of $AU 1.30 / $NZ 1.70 for NES games and $AU 1.95 / $NZ 2.55 for Super NES games.

NES $1.30, SNES $1.95

Compared to US versions for $1.00 and $1.50

Only being ripped off by 30c and 45c respectively. Should actually be the same price factoring in taxes ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom