• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

The only bad thing about the TBS HD episodes of Seinfeld is that they edited them to fit in more ads, so there are some lines and scenes missing =\

The Friends Blu-ray is similar. They used the original 35mm film, but they don't included the added DVD footage/scenes.

Hopefully Seinfeld will come out on Blu-ray one day, fully unedited and in gorgeous 1080p form 35mm.

Wait, how are they enhanced?
Are they talking about testing?
Like testing if PSP digital games will work on a Vita?
Or do they get new audio or resolution quality?

Wait what? Seinfeld was shot on film? All of it? Bloody hell...
That's the thing, a lot of programs were shot on film back in the day. I remeber X-Files being touted as having high production values because each episode was shot on 35mm and formed part of their claim that each episode was "a mini movie" experience. And yet, despite the fact that they have film quality 16:9 prints, the only format it's currently available in is 4:3 DVD.

It's not a series that I'd buy, but I just find it weird that a lot of programs have source material that they're not utilising at all.

Friends and Seinfeld, though, that comes as a surprise..

Yagharek

Wait, how are they enhanced?
Are they talking about testing?
Like testing if PSP digital games will work on a Vita?
Or do they get new audio or resolution quality?

Small screen support I think. Each game is apparently emulated individually, rather than the system emulating a megadrive or snes or whatever. Oh and fully customisable controls I think have been added.

I mean, the upgrade is only an option, you dont have to. But its surely an inefficient way of doing the whole thing and will add up to a pretty penny for those people with large libraries who want to update.

Fark that is an awesome website Roosters! Great list too. Didn't expect number one though :/

Also spoiler
No tracks from the album of the year by
Cloud Nothings
:( :( :(

That's the thing, a lot of programs were shot on film back in the day. I remeber X-Files being touted as having high production values because each episode was shot on 35mm and formed part of their claim that each episode was "a mini movie" experience. And yet, despite the fact that they have film quality 16:9 prints, the only format their currently available in is 4:3 DVD.
Fucking Fox. Would love some Simpsons Blu Rays too!

Small screen support I think. Each game is apparently emulated individually, rather than the system emulating a megadrive or snes or whatever. Oh and fully customisable controls I think have been added.

I mean, the upgrade is only an option, you dont have to. But its surely an inefficient way of doing the whole thing and will add up to a pretty penny for those people with large libraries who want to update.

So you can still play your VC titles but just on the TV on the WiiU? That's cool then. If you want the Gamepad off screen support you pay the extra buck, I can live with that.

Rezbit

So someone compiled the triple j hottest 100 votes that were shared on Facebook and twitter giving a 2.7% sample size of the overall votes. The list is at warmest100.com.au. Looks very plausible. More info in
this article

I think the top 10 is really plausible, and number 1 is probably a lock. But I think a lot of songs that would be in the top 100 aren't. For what it's worth, 7 of the 10 songs I picked were in there.

Fucking Fox. Would love some Simpsons Blu Rays too!
You probably wouldn't want the first 9 or so seasons on Blu-ray, though. Even though The Simpsons would have been filmed on 35mm, it's been pretty cheaply done. They'd need to remaster up all in dat bitch 12 ways to Sunday. I think the amount of work that would be required isn't something that Fox would be interested in right now, nor possibly up to the task.

If you go back and look at the first 3 or 4 seasons it's prrreeeeeeeetty nasty.

So someone compiled the triple j hottest 100 votes that were shared on Facebook and twitter giving a 2.7% sample size of the overall votes. The list is at warmest100.com.au. Looks very plausible. More info in
this article
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Dead Man

You probably wouldn't want the first 9 or so seasons on Blu-ray, though. Even though The Simpsons would have been filmed on 35mm, it's been pretty cheaply done. They'd need to remaster up all in dat bitch 12 ways to Sunday. I think the amount of work that would be required isn't something that Fox would be interested in right now, nor possibly up to the task.

I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

This post made me sad then happy.

For some reason DVD just has this janky quality to my eyes, if I watch a TV rip it looks better than the DVD transfer a lot of the time. I know this wouldn't be quite as noticeable with old Simpsons due to the quality but would still like to see if the originals come up better than the DVD releases, even just a slight improvement would give me a raging erection.

I must have seen every episode for the first 9 seasons at least 100 times each.

jambo

I present to you, Simpsons on DVD:

RbHecou.jpg

Yagharek

So you can still play your VC titles but just on the TV on the WiiU? That's cool then. If you want the Gamepad off screen support you pay the extra buck, I can live with that.

Yeah, you transfer them over and can play them in Wii mode. Which is a menu within the Wii U OS. Presumably if you have a lot of games in the fridge you have an SD card menu as well, so you could go, Inception style, from Wii U menu -> Wii Mode -> SD Card -> Select game in order to play Mario 64.

Not entirely friendly way to do it.

I'm also annoyed some (one I know of) Wii Ware games dont transfer over, namely Lost Winds.

Shaneus

Here's something to cleanse the palate

awesomestuffmxu0s.gif
Is that Anarchy Reigns? Fuck, I need to bust open the shrink wrap on that bad boy.

Does the same optical illusion also explain why your head looks freaky to me?
VkRvtls.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccade

I think this is a bit of related background reading as to why it fucks with your perception.

Specifically:

There's a tiny exhibition in the tunnel at MONA in hobart leading away from the poo factory that demonstrates this. You only notice it because you see words on the wall at the end of the tunnel in red lights, but if you look directly at it there is nothing there.
Weird, but rad. Thanks!

POST IF YOU'RE OKAY SHANEUS

SOMEONE WILL MAKE ANOTHER WHEEL FOR PGR5 I PROMISE
I'll be fine. I'm more worried about how intrinsically tied to the internet their Harmony remotes are and how fucked they'll be when Logitech pulls the site.

Where did you get that from? That's amazing.

This post made me sad then happy.
Just to complete the sad -> happy -> sad loop:
The problem with traditional cell animation is that when you try to do things on the cheap (synonym: Fox) you end up using the rankest Korean sweat shops you don't always get quality control. Even on the DVDs there are long period where you can see that they haven't bothered clearing artefacts (hair, dust, 9year old workers) out between each cell layer. You can also see long period where they haven't used proper filming & lighting techniques - coupled with poor quality cells - where you can see the light shining off of ripples/crumples in the cells.

Poor quality workmanship has also lead to outlines having poor quality transfers to cells, visible painting lines due to improper application of paint and then shitty filming.

The amount of work required would be staggering. They might as well rescan the original inks and digitally colour them.

Hmmmmm....

For some reason DVD just has this janky quality to my eyes, if I watch a TV rip it looks better than the DVD transfer a lot of the time. I know this wouldn't be quite as noticeable with old Simpsons due to the quality but would still like to see if the originals come up better than the DVD releases, even just a slight improvement would give me a raging erection.

I must have seen every episode for the first 9 seasons at least 100 times each.
I think that's down to poor encoding than anything else. The rips that I've done from my DVDs have come up pretty well.

Then again, I'm not trying to get them down to a small enough size to satisfy people on torrent sites...

I agree, though, higher quality reproductions of the first 8 Seasons would be grand.

I present to you, Simpsons on DVD:

http://i.imgur.com/RbHecou.jpg
That's just poor encoding. If you take the time to de-interlace/de-comb you don't get that.

It was linked in AusGAF at some point!

People are posting 10MB gifs and they aren't getting told off for it. Can I start posting insanely big reaction gifs in here yet?

Just to complete the sad -> happy -> sad loop:
The problem with traditional cell animation is that when you try to do things on the cheap (synonym: Fox) you end up using the rankest Korean sweat shops you don't always get quality control. Even on the DVDs there are long period where you can see that they haven't bothered clearing artefacts (hair, dust, 9year old workers) out between each cell layer. You can also see long period where they haven't used proper filming & lighting techniques - coupled with poor quality cells - where you can see the light shining off of ripples/crumples in the cells.

Poor quality workmanship has also lead to outlines having poor quality transfers to cells, visible painting lines due to improper application of paint and then shitty filming.

The amount of work required would be staggering. They might as well rescan the original inks and digitally colour them.

Hmmmmm....

I think that's down to poor encoding than anything else. The rips that I've done from my DVDs have come up pretty well.

Then again, I'm not trying to get them down to a small enough size to satisfy people on torrent sites...

I agree, though, higher quality reproductions of the first 8 Seasons would be grand.

I actually like the dirty look!

Yeah I ripped all my DVD's after getting the shits with the quality. Came up quite good! I just know it would look even better if Fox would open up that vault :(

Dead Man

Sometimes I follow the conversation just fine on here, and other times I feel like the senile old uncle who only understands 1/10th of what he hears.

Paper Fox

I went to McDonalds this evening and asked for 2 cheeseburger meals, one extra cheeseburger and a caramel thickshake.
First the give me someone elses meal (nuggets or summat).
Then they give me the 2 meals without the extra cheeseburger.
I inform maccas lady that I require an extra cheeseburger.
She gives me some fries with a slightly confused look on her face.
I hand her the receipt that the cashier lady gave me at the previous window.
Maccas lady says "you haven't paid for an extra cheeseburger" while clutching the reciept that says I have paid for an extra cheeseburger.
Hands me extra cheeseburger.
The drinks taste like watery piss.
Fuck you mcdonalds.

Count yourself lucky that you didn't go to KFC!

Yeah he'd still be waiting in line.

this article

That website is great. Maaate really made me laugh.

Easily agree with the #1 choice. There are some other great tracks off the album to boot.

I went to McDonalds this evening and asked for 2 cheeseburger meals, one extra cheeseburger and a caramel thickshake.
First the give me someone elses meal (nuggets or summat).
Then they give me the 2 meals without the extra cheeseburger.
She gives me some fries with a slightly confused look on her face.
I hand her the receipt that the cashier lady gave me at the previous window.
Maccas lady says "you haven't paid for an extra cheeseburger" while clutching the reciept that says I have paid for an extra cheeseburger.
Hands me extra cheeseburger.
The drinks taste like watery piss.
Fuck you mcdonalds.

Fuck you for going to mcdonalds in the first place. And fuck you for getting mad at the 13 year old kids working there.
:p

#1 is probably in. Though I'm disappointed in the lack of Kimbra. That delightful Kiwi and her infectious siren songs.

Her album came out last year right? She release any new material this year? I remember that feakenweenie song and there's warrior with mark foster and a-trak, thought I spied it in the list.

Well there's your first problem. Second is, it sounds like you went through drive through, they always seemed to screw up orders when I used to go.

I believe sir, you'll find it is drive THRU. GOOD DAY.

it should be drive through though right? This isn't 'murica. Swear the signage at Maccas and whatnot says drive thru but.

jambo

Post if you're ok queenslanders.

I've been talking to a guy in an IRC chan

Code:
[10:03:39] <ball0fire> had no running water since about 5am here still got power and phone tho
[10:03:49] <ball0fire> at work no power no phone no water
[10:03:54] <ball0fire> airport is closed
[10:04:14] <ball0fire> and the water is rising at work so we had to move some cars over to the airport
[10:04:41] <ball0fire> aboot another hour and work will be cut off  ( i had to drive throo aboot a foot of water to leave work)
[10:05:08] <ball0fire> 120mm rain yesterady
[10:05:15] <ball0fire> 350 so far today

Not good =[

And then

Code:
[10:12:17] * ball0fire  Quit (Ping timeout)
[10:23:29] * ball0android  has joined
[10:23:52] <ball0android> Yay lost power now too
[10:27:22] <ball0android> Mobile  connection isnt too good either

markot

Banned
So I pre loaded my DMC purchase.

It was 50mb >_<;

Either they are amazing at optimising their game or shenningans!

Also if zelda gets co op or mp I will go mental with a potato gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom