• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
in commemoration of my 1 month hand-iversary
here are new pics
http://imgur.com/a/EDj6R
http://imgur.com/a/b0YdS
shame im smart enough to not post the fb album link as i just added a bunch of nice descriptions and all the pics are grouped up
At first I was grossed out by the hooks but then I realised your finger kind of looked like a cute little bug with antennae. I hope its healed up soon. Looks awfully painful.
Anyone with weekend plans?
Enjoy the sunshine, finally play tomb of horrors, maybe get in a little Korean study so I'm not completely lost when semester begins.

I did my weekly shop today. There was no bottled water (i much prefer it to Brisbane tap water), no mineral water, sparkling, soda water at all.

In other news, meet Queensland's newest billionaire...

883678-water-bottles-1.jpg

Yeah the woollies in the city has been cleaned out all week, most annoying.

Clipper

Intermission and it's pretty great so far. Only gripe is that they used flute and piccolo for the ocarina medley rather than a real one.

They even included Cucco attacks in the Kakariko village footage, which got some laughs. There's also props... Like a replica Wind Waker :p

Another meetup down! Finally someone comes to my town. Was great to share some food and some talk with Death Jnr. Hope you get home okay!
Glad that time in Portland was without incident too!

Also HOLY FUCK at Killzone Vita. Looks incredible!

Got a Strat. AusGAF seems to be MetalGAF so maybe I shouldn't admit to that. I have two basses! Used to be three, really should only be one. They're fun to play with other people but I kind of lose interest when playing alone. Both of my acoustic guitars died at the same time. One is being repaired, the other isn't worth repairing. This is my first electric guitar after playing for twenty years, so I guess this is my mid-life crisis.

What kind of bass have you got?
Nice! And I would say that AusGAF has a great range in tastes, plenty of kPOP, Trance, Hip Hop, Prog Rock & Metal fans in here :)

Also Megadrive :/

EDIT: Bass stuff! Currently still have a little white Cort that I haven't spent enough time with, bought it just before I found out the little guy was on the way. I used to have an Ibanez that I went halves in with my housemate too but I ended up letting him have it when I moved out, GSR100.

im going to kryal castle tomorrow to wax any animals, ian moss, jimmy Barnes, dragon and chocolate starfish play. and get pissed :-D
I'm interested in how a concert would go there as the only thing that could ever make it bearable were recreational drugs and raves.

I hate when I find out I am playing a game wrong. Far Cry 3, didn't even realise I could disable the alarms until I got to the second island. Loving the game now. Fuck first person platforming though. Still hate that shit.
Alarms? You mean the Radio Towers? Also the second island is a hell of a long way through the game!

Any Zelda music thing that doesn't include the Dark World theme from LttP is a waste of time.
A man after my heart, awesome song.

Dead Man

Alarms? You mean the Radio Towers? Also the second island is a hell of a long way through the game!

Nah, the outpost things you take over. I had been doing it the hard way trying to prevent people hitting the alarm and then having to deal with reinforcements when I stuffed up.

And yeah, I was doing it wrong for a long time. I've sort of being doing the main story mission more than the side stuff, so there is still heaps of stuff to do. The signature weapons are all a bit gimmicky except the assault rifle.

Rex Attitude. Now that's a crazy-arse beer. 100% peat-smoked malt. Smells like a burning bog, tastes like a sweet smokey bacon bog. Worth a try if you're adventurous with what you drink. Smoked beers are not for everyone.

This from the same guys who dumped a ton of Earl Grey tea leaves into their beer, resulting in one of my faves from 2012.

Another meetup down! Finally someone comes to my town.
I currently have an overnight stay scheduled for later in the year, so I'll make sure to let you know well in advance!

Dead Man

Rex Attitude. Now that's a crazy-arse beer. 100% peat-smoked malt. Smells like a burning bog, tastes like a sweet smokey bacon bog. Worth a try if you're adventurous with what you drink. Smoked beers are not for everyone.

I currently have an overnight stay scheduled for later in the year, so I'll make sure to let you know well in advance!

Never even knew there was such a thing as smoked beer, I must have it.

Woot! Bring some homebrew!

Nah, the outpost things you take over. I had been doing it the hard way trying to prevent people hitting the alarm and then having to deal with reinforcements when I stuffed up.

And yeah, I was doing it wrong for a long time. I've sort of being doing the main story mission more than the side stuff, so there is still heaps of stuff to do. The signature weapons are all a bit gimmicky except the assault rifle.

Yeah I really only used 2 sets of weapons through the whole game which was disappointing. Easiest thing with the guard posts is to scout the whole lot out so they are on your HUD, hope there is a caged animal which you can set off then run into the camp and take out the survivors, or just smoothly walk in and stealth takedown as many as possible as quickly as possible before quickly gunning down the survivors before reinforcements get close enough to be counted in the 'must kill in order to takeover' tally. Super easy once you get the hang of it.

The fact that half of them have a caged animal is just too easy.

Never even knew there was such a thing as smoked beer, I must have it.
There's a few out there. I've had Rex Attitude and Scribbly Gum, both pretty different but both smokey. I know of at least another two or three that exist. Hunt one down and try it!

Smoked beer? Isn't that just the six pack you drink after punching a few cones?
Oh dear. No. The malt used to make the beer is smoked before mashing.

If you drink XXXX, VB, Carlton Draught or similar and think it's fine, these aren't for you...

Omikron

Heading down to catch up with relies on Saturday and then again on Sunday night.

Probably game Sunday during the day or fiddle with XBMC.

How you finding XBMC? I honestly haven't used it once, but one of those things I have always figured I should check out.

Feign disappointment at not being able to mow the lawn due to rain. Play my new guitar.

Apartment living = no mowing of the lawn. Blessing. Downside: No room. Need to move to a bigger place this year.

Spent yesterday (day off) fixing up some crap around here that needed to be done, so thankfully no responsibilities atm...minus the usual.

Was considering going to the Geelong Beer Fest but since I drove to and from Geelong today I probably won't bother, and will instead help the wife at the market tomorrow. Maybe four hours on a train will be better...

Mmm beer. I bought wine (as you noticed) this evening. Tempted to head up to Nillumbik Cellars again, but my wallet hates me after.

D&D tomorrow where our party will embark on our first adventure in the Epic tier. Our GM has promised a TPK fun time fighting a dragon.

I'll probably reading books and catching up on some TV for the rest of it.

Gaming 8) I should hopefully sneak in a few sessions in the evenings. Particularly wanna try out Samurai again (first game was well received here) and perhaps a game of Smallworld with the mini-expansions.

maybe she can buy a bra

:-/

Enjoy the sunshine, finally play tomb of horrors, maybe get in a little Korean study so I'm not completely lost when semester begins.

Can you play Tomb of Horrors outside?

fin #reptilescorpio

How you finding XBMC? I honestly haven't used it once, but one of those things I have always figured I should check out.
I've been using it for YEARS. If you want a flash front end that's wife approved, it's really nice. 99% of our TV viewing (not exaggerating) is done via XBMC.

Mmm beer. I bought wine (as you noticed) this evening. Tempted to head up to Nillumbik Cellars again, but my wallet hates me after.
I've decided I'm going to miss the beer festival in Geelong, but am planning on going to Slowbeer in Richmond tomorrow sometime. Probably around 11am.

Anyone feels like catching up to get some beer, and I guess food, around that time, let me know.

You did consider which game "Time of the Falling Rain" refers too, right? ;)

Was it just the actual Time of Falling Rain piece or was there more LttP music mixed in there? Weird to see the name of a specific tune listed amongst game titles like Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Still, very jelly. I'm sure it was amazing.

Fredescu

EDIT: Bass stuff! Currently still have a little white Cort that I haven't spent enough time with, bought it just before I found out the little guy was on the way. I used to have an Ibanez that I went halves in with my housemate too but I ended up letting him have it when I moved out, GSR100.

Nice. My bass is a Cort too! http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/a4-1 . The Strat I got was this one: http://www.fender.com.au/electricguitars/strats/deluxe/players.php

Clipper

Was it just the actual Time of Falling Rain piece or was there more LttP music mixed in there? Weird to see the name of a specific tune listed amongst game titles like Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Still, very jelly. I'm sure it was amazing.
LttP medley, including you know what.

There was also an encore
or three!

Shaneus

AMD? Oh god.

I just remember you always going on about Sonic games coming out and I you having more than a few on Steam.
Only games I've ever really gone apeshit over which were due to come out that are even remotely Sonic related were Nights and possibly JSR. So you may have Sega confused with Sonic. Rookie mistake.

Not a bad seat. 6 rows from the stage, 5 seats from the edge. No recording or photography allowed, but the ambient Zelda tunes as people shuffle in are sweet. This is going to be awesome!
As good a seat as you can have at anything without Mizuguchi being involved. But I'm glad you had a good time anyway!

jambo

I'm actually really loving it.

When I finally got it to work it was pretty amazing scrolling through my tv shows and films. Instead of being little icons with silly names (.h264.1080p.IMMERSION.PROPER.lol.mkv) you have posters and custom art that get downloaded automatically as you browse through.

Plus there are a tonne of customisation options with the default skin, or you can go and find tonnes of community made ones.

My main issue at the moment is that for some reason when I have my PC plugged in to my receiver it doesn't connect. I have about 25M of HDMI cable, 2 of them hooked together with a double female plug, and my receiver doesn't seem to like it.

Plugging it in to the TV directly works perfectly, but then I only get stereo so I've mainly been watching TV shows or movies that don't really need 5.1.

I'm going to try plugging it in with another single 2M HDMI cable tonight to see if I can get it working at all through the receiver.

It doesn't really matter though as I have a Raspberry Pi on the way and I'm planning on installing an XMBC build on it and having it permanently out the back.

Yeah, XBMC is really just a (very) fancy front end for a video player. But it does a nice job of presenting your library in a way that makes it easy to watch stuff.

Check out PseudoTV, one of my favorite addons. I've watched heaps of stuff using that I would have otherwise not watched for a second (or third, etc) time.

Danoss

Gaming 8) I should hopefully sneak in a few sessions in the evenings. Particularly wanna try out Samurai again (first game was well received here) and perhaps a game of Smallworld with the mini-expansions.

Sounds like it should be fun. I saw you mentioning trying to find a way to store it all. I hear that the Underworld expansion might have such a thing included, but I can't confirm it myself.

Can you play Tomb of Horrors outside?

For some gamers, outside is the Tomb of Horrors.

jambo

Yeah, XBMC is really just a (very) fancy front end for a video player. But it does a nice job of presenting your library in a way that makes it easy to watch stuff.

It's actually made me watch some old films and tv shows that I never bothered with. Loving it.

Rezbit

LttP medley, including you know what.

There was also an encore
or three!

Really enjoyed the symphony. Not too sure about the encore as I'm not really a fan of that concept in general, but they got a lot of love. Played some awesome renditions. In a way I'm surprised they didn't use the main theme more! Happy I went, a very unique experience. Liked the videos playing snippets too.

Also, I'm in Geelong today.

Fuck Geelong.

Should have driven to Warrnambool. Rep needed a drinking partner :p

Both Geelong and Warrnambool remind me of work, since that's the only reason I go to either.

Fuck Warrnambool.

Yea. No parking at all. Plus some people were staring, I assume they had never seen a brown man before.

Another meetup down! Finally someone comes to my town. Was great to share some food and some talk with Death Jnr. Hope you get home okay!
Glad that time in Portland was without incident too!

Same here mate! Very nice to meet you. Got home at 11:30pm.

798245_10151512361881874_2020112621_o.jpg

820877_10151512362616874_1346865272_o.jpg

Omikron

This is a great smackdown of Andrew Bolt

grogsgamut.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/andrew-bolt-trends-towards-dodgy-graphs.html?m=1

Yagharek

Well. I guess it's about time I looked at getting a proper audio setup if I'm going to get a Wii u. Need a receiver and I assume a 5.1 or better setup.

Any suggested brands to look at? Wireless speakers worth considering?

Clipper

Note that your receiver needs to take HDMI input if you want surround sound. There is no way around it, the only cable type that supports the type of surround sound the Wii U outputs is HDMI. I find it pretty lame that I can get better sound out of my Wii and GameCube than my Wii U, but oh well...

Omikron

Well. I guess it's about time I looked at getting a proper audio setup if I'm going to get a Wii u. Need a receiver and I assume a 5.1 or better setup.

Any suggested brands to look at? Wireless speakers worth considering?

I have a mid-range Onkyo receiver and like it very much indeed. Only run a 2.0 setup however (small place) with 2 x floor speakers, but purchased with upgrades in mind.

I think the thing with audio is deciding on a budget and sticking to it. Things can pretty easily escalate if you get into it.

Yagharek

Note that your receiver needs to take HDMI input if you want surround sound. There is no way around it, the only cable type that supports the type of surround sound the Wii U outputs is HDMI. I find it pretty lame that I can get better sound out of my Wii and GameCube than my Wii U, but oh well...

I have a mid-range Onkyo receiver and like it very much indeed. Only run a 2.0 setup however (small place) with 2 x floor speakers, but purchased with upgrades in mind.

I think the thing with audio is deciding on a budget and sticking to it. Things can pretty easily escalate if you get into it.

Both good points. I've had a quick look at some by Sony just to make sure the required specs, like linear pcm support and adequate hdmi connections.

Onkyo I've heard good things about but price wise I haven't done much research beyond a 499 Sony model.

Obviously it's not going to be just for Wii U, and ideally a long life setup. I've gotten a good eight years from the current logitech z5500 um using now, and will keep them for a second setup down the line.

With the pace of digital stuff, don't expect to get much more than five years out of a receiver if you're planning on keeping up with standards.

Also measure it if you already have a home for it in mind. I didn't and when I bought my latest a few years back had to cut a hole in my entertainment unit.

My Pioneer SC LX71 is still doing a great job, though. Really happy with it.

PS. Omi, managed to create that URL on mobile. :p

Omikron

With the pace of digital stuff, don't expect to get much more than five years out of a receiver if you're planning on keeping up with standards.

Also measure it if you already have a home for it in mind. I didn't and when I bought my latest a few years back had to cut a hole in my entertainment unit.

My Pioneer SC LX71 is still doing a great job, though. Really happy with it.

PS. Omi, managed to create that URL on mobile. :p

On my desktop now! :p

Danoss

I don't recommend 5.1 unless you have a very large room and nearly an unlimited budget. The effect just isn't that great or the quality very good. The amplifiers aren't very good or efficient and the speakers are poor. this is coming from someone who spent over $6,000 on a 5.1 setup.

You will always get a superior experience from a better and more reasonably priced 2.0 setup. A stereo amplifier and two bookshelf speakers is all that is needed and they will last you a very long time.

My preferred speaker brand for sound is Dynaudio. There are a number of amplifiers out there that will do the job of powering them admirably. Bottom of the line (still absolutely amazing) will set you back about $1,000 if you get a good deal.

Yagharek

Hmm, on balance of what people are saying I might hold of a bit since we are looking to move/buy rather than renting. Will wait and see what room dimensions are. I wasn't planning on going over 2k total but that's a number out of thin air before researching.

Straight out I'm no audiophile but I would like a setup that lets me distinguish where sounds are coming from. We'll see.

Hey remember when I was complaining the other day about not being able to source a Blu Ray copy of They Live? Google got my back!
They could really monetize this quite well, run tons of ads and links to copies on Amazon or something.

On a different note Yag you could try going with 5.1 or 7.1 headphones, once I picked up a set for my PC I have kinda forgotten about getting a proper setup as all of my competitive gaming would all be done on the PC.

If you drink XXXX, VB, Carlton Draught or similar and think it's fine, these aren't for you...
:( You cut deep

fin #reptilescorpio
Pfft you wish!

Mannnnnn that looks nice, I never actually owned an elec, friends of mine always just loaned them around us. My acoustic has several dings in it, the little guy likes strumming on it though which is nice. :)

Plus some people were staring, I assume they had never seen a brown man before.

798245_10151512361881874_2020112621_o.jpg

820877_10151512362616874_1346865272_o.jpg
We have a large Sudanise population down here, tons of Asians too. The meat works here organises to bring them in and houses them in cheap/sardine accommodation. Going by some conversations with a few workers though they get a bit of a raw deal when it comes to long term prospects, which sucks as I would love see more variety in the retail market here. We finally had a full time Asian grocery open late last year which is a real blessing.

Also look at those beautiful vistas! Come and see the wind farms! Mind the cancer though.

This is a great smackdown of Andrew Bolt

grogsgamut.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/andrew-bolt-trends-towards-dodgy-graphs.html
Is Grog, Is Good!

Danoss

Hmm, on balance of what people are saying I might hold of a bit since we are looking to move/buy rather than renting. Will wait and see what room dimensions are. I wasn't planning on going over 2k total but that's a number out of thin air before researching.

Straight out I'm no audiophile but I would like a setup that lets me distinguish where sounds are coming from. We'll see.

$2k would easily get you a pair of Dynaudio Excite X12 ($1,200 RRP) speakers and a terrific amplifier for it. No chance of you going over $2k with this setup since it would be overkill. Unless you have a very large room, this will be all you'll ever need. Ever.

Don't let the size put you off, you would be quite surprised what these little boxes are capable of. Madrical bought himself a pair and a Rotel amp for them and, if he was still around, I'm sure he'd tell you the same. Seriously, go into a proper hi-fi store and test out a pair, it won't cost you anything (until you hear them, haha).

Even a good pair of stereo headphones will allow you to pick out the direction of something. For $2k, the amp and headphones you'd have would be sweet. But, speakers are something the whole family can enjoy.

:( You cut deep
Trust me, if your idea of a nice beer is one of those, peat smoked beers are not for you. May be a tad harsh, but some truths are. Also, lambics and saisons aren't for everyone. Cantillon (lambic brewer) stuff is crazy sour, almost like vinegar. The awesome thing about many lambics is they use wild yeast to ferment their beer.

Planning on trying a wild yeast (aka spontaneous fermentation) experiment this month. :)

Currently at Slowbeer in Richmond drinking an American beer (alone!) where hops were added every minute for sixty minutes. Nice stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom