• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm thinking of finally starting the project of ripping all my DVDs/Blu-Rays to a HDD so I can stream my content to my TV.

Who's done this, and what's the best way to do it? Should I got with NAS or just get an external HDD to plug into my PC? I've got my PS3 to use for streaming. Is there a better solution that's also cheap? Could I stream Blu-Ray over Wifi or is that a bad idea?

For DVDs (haven't done Blu-Rays):
* Rip with DVD Decrypter
* Transcode with Handbrake (around 1GB per DVD average will be fine, most "scene" releases are around 700MB. I encoded mine at 1.4GB each, more for long or some special ones)

I would recommend using a NAS because it'll ultimately use less power than a PC and you can leave it on 24/7. I use a Synology one and think it's quite good.

For streaming, I'd recommend either using XBMC or Plex to watch the content. Raspberry Pis are good and cheap, can play 1080p content. They can stream over wireless if you decide to go that way (you'll need to buy a USB wireless dongle for the Pi). Wireless 802.11n *should* be able stream most transcoded blurays, but I've not tried.

15% off boardgames at OzGameShop
Also free Zombies, Ninja Blade, Unstoppable Gorg & Superstars V8 Next Challenge from GMG this weekend for linking a Playfire account!

Rep, I have a mission for you, if you choose to accept.

Find me cheap battlefield 3 premium for pc.
Do you already own Battlefield 3? Or any of the DLC?

NO RONG The original Die Hard is still the best.
NUPE THEY AREN"T DUPES SO THEY CAN BOTH BE BEST AT THIER OWN THANG

This thread is so fucking annoying.

90% of the people in the thread don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that the words retarded and autistic aren't solely insults.

I had to stop reading after 3 pages of 5 paragraph posts on how Gabe was a bad person and how could such a prominent figure in gaming do such a thing.
Took a while to think through what he meant but I never could read anything derogatory with it, mainly as he also said autistic so I think he is trying to say that they have to design SP experiences while expecting the unexpected out of the player, that they can't expect you to look at the pretty explosion going on out the window as the player might be drawn to something else. You can have the framework of a fancy blockbuster movie but have to understand the player will deviate from the script from time to time. You can make rules, even if the player will ignore them.

While MP is another bag of kettle fish.

Also I have to avoid using the word retarded as people don't like it but it does come into my head regularly to use.

I already had it on PS3, but I'm really surprised with how good it looks on PC. The player models are a bit shit but everything else in the game looks phenomenal. Not bad for a 2-year-old game.
It ran great at launch too, didn't have any bugs at all. The middle section (I can't recall which one, I think it involved snow?) was pretty average and a drudge, but the rest was quite interesting!

So I'm thinking of finally starting the project of ripping all my DVDs/Blu-Rays to a HDD so I can stream my content to my TV.

Who's done this, and what's the best way to do it? Should I got with NAS or just get an external HDD to plug into my PC? I've got my PS3 to use for streaming. Is there a better solution that's also cheap? Could I stream Blu-Ray over Wifi or is that a bad idea?
I ripped my Simpsons DVD's using DVD decrypter and then converted them to .avi files using AutoGK. Came out really great quality!

Is annoying though so I just download rips from the internet now and leave the DVD's in storage :/

EDIT: Kinda beaten :/

Danoss

I ordered Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'A Study in Scarlet' from Book Depository and it seems they made a mistake and sent me the wrong book. To their credit, when I informed them they apologised for the picking error and offered to either refund my money or send the correct item, of course I chose the latter. They also told me to keep the book they sent in error.

This is the steaming pile of shit they sent me by mistake:

9781582702490.jpg

The first paragraph of the blurb is as follows:

Over a decade ago, Dr. Richard Bartlett made a mind-blowing discovery in his chiropractic practice. By simply applying a light touch while focusing with intention, Bartlett was able to unlock and resolve tension in his patients, instantly.

Fuck. What a load of horseshit. At this point I shouldn't even need to explain why.

Here's some stuff that appears in the book at a glance: bible quotes, mention of quantum physics, motion blur photos as evidence of chakras, mentioning of the Philadelphia Experiment, declaring that scientists don't even know what gravity is, etc. If you can't heal my illness with regular physics, get the fuck away from me, crackpot.

You should see the pictures in this book, one of them depicts a woman who seems to have been thrown over a table in some faith-healer fashion. Another one, touching her on the head. Yep, that's a viable therapy, I'm sure. "Let me just touch you on the head for 30 seconds, you'll feel good. It's why dogs are always happy, cause people pat them on the head all the time". That last bit isn't in the book, but I'm sure that is just as valid as the rest of what's inside.

If anyone thinks someone they know would like this book, or that it might be a suitable gift, joke or otherwise, they can have it for the grand total of zero dollars plus postage.

15% off boardgames at OzGameShop

They don't have Mission: Red Planet. Sad face.

Although, they do have the newly released Space Cadets. Tempting.

Jintor

Bring it to the next boardgame meet man.

Does it have anything about either: Ice-9, morphogenetic field theory, or any other dubious pseudo-scientific crap I could mine for dumb sci-fi ideas

/edit oh man the philadelphia experiement, i remember that from red alert

This is the steaming pile of shit they sent me by mistake:

9781582702490.jpg

In regards to "light" touch, I actually have some experience with that! Well not that, but it reminds me of a story! Onion on belt was the style at the tyme! The health nurse in Lara said my couple month old son needed some chiro to correct the HORRIFIC PROCESS OF BEING SPURT OUT OF A BAGINA so pretty much strongarmed us into an appointment. Thankfully the hippy chiro chick was all about newage stuff and not actually touching you, so she pointed some kind of warm beam of light onto his skin. Which he found hilarious. The attention was enough to relax him and he was in a great mood for the next few days!

Also the chiro said it would be child abuse to actually do any proper chiro on him, at least she wasn't too much of a wacko lol

Also might grab Ticket to Ride for $40 if the sale sticks around until next paycheck. Saving a bit of cash slowly by not drinking.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Wireless N should in theory be able to stream 1080P but it does actually struggle with it.

I haven't done any amazing testing yet, But I know the bluray player we have can stream from a device and it struggles with 1080P content. I'm fairly certain that is wireless N. 720p is fine.

If you want the best solution.

Go with a proper NAS. Get a few TB of storage. Do a straight rip of your DVDs and Blurays without actually encoding anything. Stream everything over ethernet.

Danoss

Bring it to the next boardgame meet man.

Does it have anything about either: Ice-9, morphogenetic field theory, or any other dubious pseudo-scientific crap I could mine for dumb sci-fi ideas

/edit oh man the philadelphia experiement, i remember that from red alert

Will do man.

There is plenty of bullshit to mine inside those pages, I'm sure. There is mention of morphic fields, morphic resonance and morphic units. He also references a previous book 'Matrix Energenetics'; that name has a ring to it that Scientology might use for something or other.

Go with a proper NAS. Get a few TB of storage. Do a straight rip of your DVDs and Blurays without actually encoding anything. Stream everything over ethernet.

Doing direct rips of DVD and Blu-ray is a waste of space when there are much more efficient formats. Especially since you're unlikely to want to watch all the extras, or different languages over and over.

Rip the main video/movie file (usually the longest one) and only the language(s) you want. If you had 200 DVDs you'd be looking at nearly 2TB when encoded using a X264 you'd be looking at 500GB max and the quality difference would be virtually imperceptible.

Jintor

Will do man.

There is plenty of bullshit to mine inside those pages, I'm sure. There is mention of morphic fields, morphic resonance and morphic units. He also references a previous book 'Matrix Energenetics'; that name has a ring to it that Scientology might use for something or other.

Morphic fields is one of my favourite branches of pseudoscience. It sounds like it makes weird mystical sense but it doesn't have any basis in reality! Great stuff

Danoss

Also might grab Ticket to Ride for $40 if the sale sticks around until next paycheck. Saving a bit of cash slowly by not drinking.

Wait, where does it say 15% off, because I'm not seeing it? Ticket to Ride is showing up as $46.99 to me.

Morphic fields is one of my favourite branches of pseudoscience. It sounds like it makes weird mystical sense but it doesn't have any basis in reality! Great stuff

I think you'll get a real kick out of this book.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Doing direct rips of DVD and Blu-ray is a waste of space when there are much more efficient formats. Especially since you're unlikely to want to watch all the extras, or different languages over and over.

Rip the main video/movie file (usually the longest one) and only the language(s) you want. If you had 200 DVDs you'd be looking at nearly 2TB when encoded using a X264 you'd be looking at 500GB max and the quality difference would be virtually imperceptible.

Oh I know. I don't mean rip the entire ISO and load it up every time you want to watch it. You can rip the main movie as the standard bluray format as well, that's probably about 40GB or so depending on the movie.

If he wants to encode it then it's going to take 12hrs + per movie. From my past experience and dodgy memory anyway. Most of the time I left it overnight and during the day only to come home after it finished, so maybe closer to 20 hours or so.

That's of course doing x264 mkvs for blurays with 2 passes. It isn't hard, it's just fucking time consuming.

Jintor

I think you'll get a real kick out of this book.

Kinda crappy you didn't accidentally get a decent book though :T

ah well! At least you'll end up with the book you ordered! I'm still slogging through Crimes Against Humanity. A little light reading... :T

Wait, where does it say 15% off, because I'm not seeing it? Ticket to Ride is showing up as $46.99 to me.
Checked Twitter and there was nothing there, but Ozbargain shows there's a coupon of boardgame15, which is great because there's something I want, cheaper than most places in Australia, with free shipping.

If he wants to encode it then it's going to take 12hrs + per movie. From my past experience and dodgy memory anyway. Most of the time I left it overnight and during the day only to come home after it finished, so maybe closer to 20 hours or so.

That's of course doing x264 mkvs for blurays with 2 passes. It isn't hard, it's just fucking time consuming.
Yeah, that's a good point. It's definitely slow, but ultimately the best result. I did about 250 of my 300 DVDs a couple of years back and realised I didn't even care about half of them enough to watch ever again after going to the trouble of ripping them.

Is slyfox and co the best software? Cause when I tried their trial I tended to get better results then using handbrake and crap.
I was personally always happy with the results of DVDs from Handbrake. Took a few goes to find quality settings I liked though.

markot

Banned
When I tried to rip them the quality was questionable >.<

I could never get the options right for the conversion after the rip, and sometimes the rip was of questionable quality...

Is slyfox and co the best software? Cause when I tried their trial I tended to get better results then using handbrake and crap.

Danoss

Kinda crappy you didn't accidentally get a decent book though :T

ah well! At least you'll end up with the book you ordered! I'm still slogging through Crimes Against Humanity. A little light reading... :T

Yeah, I was wishing I'd gotten a good book for free earlier. Even some bad fiction can be good for a laugh eg. The Haunted Vagina. Yes, that is an actual book. At least someone will get some use out of what I did get, so that's something.

That book you're reading sure sounds like a slog! I smashed through The Hunger Games yesterday. I couldn't put it down, very enjoyable. I'm going to check out the purportedly terrible movie later on today and then pick up Catching Fire and see where the story goes.

Checked Twitter and there was nothing there, but Ozbargain shows there's a coupon of boardgame15, which is great because there's something I want, cheaper than most places in Australia, with free shipping.

Thanks for that mate. Unfortunately, it doesn't think an item called "Space Cadets Board Game" is a board game, so no discount for me. I'll send 'em a tweet and see what happens.

Rahk

All of the Final Fantasy games are going on sale for Vita on the US store. Will get Dissidia 012 and probably some classics.

Shaneus

This thread is so fucking annoying.

90% of the people in the thread don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that the words retarded and autistic aren't solely insults.

I had to stop reading after 3 pages of 5 paragraph posts on how Gabe was a bad person and how could such a prominent figure in gaming do such a thing.
Man, I barely made it through the first page. I thought it was obvious from the edited blurb in the OP that Gabe was referring to how the main character in a lot of FPS games is basically mentally retarded and autistic. From what I remember of playing the Half Life games... that's pretty well spot on. When anything has to teach the main character (whether it be in a movie or game) how to do basic, fundamental things like pick up and use weapons in an environment they should be familiar with, it's not a stretch to say they have some kind of learning disability.

But hey, someone used the word "retarded"! PC police on their way!

Took a while to think through what he meant but I never could read anything derogatory with it, mainly as he also said autistic so I think he is trying to say that they have to design SP experiences while expecting the unexpected out of the player, that they can't expect you to look at the pretty explosion going on out the window as the player might be drawn to something else. You can have the framework of a fancy blockbuster movie but have to understand the player will deviate from the script from time to time. You can make rules, even if the player will ignore them.

While MP is another bag of kettle fish.
People just can't grasp that. If you're referring to a character as retarded, clearly you're insulting them and not just describing certain behavioural characteristics.

Thanks for that mate. Unfortunately, it doesn't think an item called "Space Cadets Board Game" is a board game, so no discount for me. I'll send 'em a tweet and see what happens.
Worked for the two I added to test. Unfortunately, I have a $5.00 voucher, and I'm unable to use the 15% off coupon in addition to it, as there's only one generic place to add both.

Danoss

Worked for the two I added to test. Unfortunately, I have a $5.00 voucher, and I'm unable to use the 15% off coupon in addition to it, as there's only one generic place to add both.

It worked when I added 'The Resistance: Avalon', but not 'Space Cadets'. I'm hoping it is an error that they'll fix and will reply soon enough.

Clipper

Ooh, you're getting Space Cadets, Danoss? I've certainly been considering that one...

I've still go to get Star Trek: Fleet Captains to the table, first, though...

So is SydGAF actually interested in getting the board game days going again? I've been a bit lax in trying to set them up as I now have three other regular board gamey things every week, but I could certainly make time for more if it's SydGAF.

Danoss

Ooh, you're getting Space Cadets, Danoss? I've certainly been considering that one...

I've still go to get Star Trek: Fleet Captains to the table, first, though...

So is SydGAF actually interested in getting the board game days going again? I've been a bit lax in trying to set them up as I now have three other regular board gamey things every week, but I could certainly make time for more if it's SydGAF.

Yeah, I'll grab Space Cadets from OGS if they fix their mistake. Otherwise I'll pick it up from CSI once they have it, Resistance: Avalon and Mission: Red Planet in stock, so I can have them all shipped out at once.

I haven't heard nice things about that Star Trek game.

What 3 board game things have you got going on now? I know you have a Uni thing, a thing at Booty Bay, what else?

I'll get together for a SydGAF thing whenever people are keen. Let's make it happen before the footy starts, because that's sure to get in the way with it and my other gaming group taking up some weekends.

Clipper

What 3 board game things have you got going on now? I know you have a Uni thing, a thing at Booty Bay, what else?
A group I found on BoardGameGeek for mostly Eurogames that just happens to be centered in Randwick. It was actually the first group I was part of, other than SydGAF, of course.

I'll get together for a SydGAF thing whenever people are keen. Let's make it happen before the footy starts, because that's sure to get in the way with it and my other gaming group taking up some weekends.
I'm certainly up for any Saturday in the coming weeks.

Edit: So yeah, I just picked up Discworld: Guards! Guards! and Martin Wallace's P.I. in the sale. P.I. is nearly impossible to find on most of the other sites I've tried due to it having a name which is nearly impossible to search for, so I was surprised to see it show up and it pretty much locked me into a purchase. I've been wary at picking up Guards! Guards!, as I've heard it can be a bit complex, but it's the cheapest I've seen it and I just can't resist more Discworld.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Argh, had a tooth removal today and I feel numb as fuck and unable to do anything but watching movies in bed. Hope most of the pain goes away tomorrow.:/ going need to grab some painkillers. (although it's not THAT bad yet just annoying).

Oh, so I played tomb of horrors on the weekend! It was great fun, mostly because everyone's characters were level 9 and buff as hell. We also ended up with a deck of many things, and at the end of the adventure our DM vowed never to let us have one again :( We somehow ended up pulling five or six good cards in a row when we started out, but then I guess we got overconfident and kept drawing even as a whole lot of bad stuff kept happening. Ended up defeating the final boss on my own as it was immune to magic and only crits did any damage (I ended up rolling three 20's in one turn). Fun stuff. If you don't mind losing half your team I definitely recommend it.

529166_10152525484655417_129265586_n.jpg

Moments before our rogue decided it would be a good idea to jump into a demon's mouth sticking out of the wall.

Argh, had a tooth removal today and I feel numb as fuck and unable to do anything but watching movies in bed. Hope most of the pain goes away tomorrow.:/ going need to grab some painkillers. (although it's not THAT bad yet just annoying).

Hope you're feeling better soon Laf, tooth removals hurt like hell. At least you can eat delicious custard and stuff~

For DVDs (haven't done Blu-Rays):
* Rip with DVD Decrypter
* Transcode with Handbrake (around 1GB per DVD average will be fine, most "scene" releases are around 700MB. I encoded mine at 1.4GB each, more for long or some special ones)

I would recommend using a NAS because it'll ultimately use less power than a PC and you can leave it on 24/7. I use a Synology one and think it's quite good.

For streaming, I'd recommend either using XBMC or Plex to watch the content. Raspberry Pis are good and cheap, can play 1080p content. They can stream over wireless if you decide to go that way (you'll need to buy a USB wireless dongle for the Pi). Wireless 802.11n *should* be able stream most transcoded blurays, but I've not tried.

I've ripped a few Blu-Rays, mostly what you'd want to do is use a program called MakeMKV. What it does is rips the Blu-Ray to an MKV format, leaving you with a fairly large file to then convert with something like Handbrake.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Hope you're feeling better soon Laf, tooth removals hurt like hell. At least you can eat delicious custard and stuff~
Lol, I haven't ate a thing since the tooth removal, and I have no soft foods here.-_- maybe I'll go to the supermarket and grab some yogurt or something.

Jintor

we did? goddamnit why didn't i pick up 10, 7 and 6? Argh

Might grab plus after I finish antichamber and check out gravity rush and jet set

we did? goddamnit why didn't i pick up 10, 7 and 6? Argh

Might grab plus after I finish antichamber and check out gravity rush and jet set
It was still there yesterday I think. There might still be time! Gogoogogogogo.

Lol, I haven't ate a thing since the tooth removal, and I have no soft foods here.-_- maybe I'll go to the supermarket and grab some yogurt or something.

oh no! Make sure you grab something nice, being sick/ in pain is the perfect opportunity to eat things that taste good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom