• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoiler-tagged my post, just in case. You never know! You guys quoting it had better update yours too, just incase Holy was on a media blackout for this game...

Phew. Now we can get back to talking about that dude in The Crying Game.

Shit.

Yagharek

Haha. While we're at it, other mid-90s tips and tricks:

Sheng Long can be unlocked in SF2 by going through the single player without taking a single hit.
Tomb Raider has a nude code.
You can get the Triforce in Ocarina of Time
There is a Cow level in Diablo

So apparently Telstra plan to clamp down on P2P traffic.

I pity all those gamers out there who are stuck on Telstra cable because of RIM's, etc, and who can no longer download games and game updates which make use of P2P distribution.

Isnt most online gaming p2p?

Saw that. From their point of view it's probably using a large portion of their network, so it makes sense. However, throttling any part of a network is surely a terrible precedent, particularly with Telstra doing it, meaning everyone else will follow suit. We really need network neutrality rules here.

Isnt most online gaming p2p?
Different protocol, so unlikely it will be affected.

OzGameShop really came to the party. They replied to my tweet and said Space Cadets wasn't supposed to be part of the 15% off special. Then they went ahead and added it for me anyway.

Space Cadets and Resistance: Avalon had for a total of $67.13
They like sales revenue :)

Always been great to deal with, make it as easy as possible for Australians to part with their money as possible. They aren't always the cheapest but at some point in time they are!

Although at this point they owe me a beer I feel ;)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Prescription glasses AUSGaf.

How did any of you go about it? Did you simply take your docs note to a random set of glasses shops and see how much they would end up charging? Or did you just find something like specsavers or opsm the best option?

I can get optional glasses and holy crap they certainly made a difference in the docs office when I was looking at text at a distance. But they are still optional. I will probably get them but I'm not too sure how to correctly go about it.

Dead Man

I couldn't help myself :/
(btw, that person you're talking about... what the fuck?!?)

Indeed, quality post from your good self though.

How did any of you go about it? Did you simply take your docs note to a random set of glasses shops and see how much they would end up charging? Or did you just find something like specsavers or opsm the best option?

I can get optional glasses and holy crap they certainly made a difference in the docs office when I was looking at text at a distance. But they are still optional. I will probably get them but I'm not too sure how to correctly go about it.

So you've been to the actual optometrist and have your prescription? In that case it is just a case of trying them on until you find some that fit in your budget that you like. If you have private health you may not have to pay much at all.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So you've been to the actual optometrist and have your prescription? In that case it is just a case of trying them on until you find some that fit in your budget that you like. If you have private health you may not have to pay much at all.

Yep, I have the little bit of paper with docs handwriting on it. I assume it says things like the type of lenses etc.

I wasn't too sure if its just as simple as shopping around at each place and just asking for prices on the configuration required.

Sounds like it might be. Guess I need to go shopping.

Dead Man

Yep, I have the little bit of paper with docs handwriting on it. I assume it says things like the type of lenses etc.

I wasn't too sure if its just as simple as shopping around at each place and just asking for prices on the configuration required.

It's pretty much that simple. Good luck.

Omikron

Anyone here do AFL fantasy sports stuff? We should totally make an AusGAF league if so as I am already doing both DT/SC for work/friends.

Got a free prescription locally, ordered glasses from Clearly Contacts for around $70. Just make sure you know the dimensions of the glasses you want.

Optometrist consultations for eye degradation are 100% free. Then you just take that notice (when you get it) to a SpecSavers or whatever and buy your glasses. It's really easy, actually.

Clipper

Just received Hyrule Historia in the mail from Amazon. My goodness, it is beautiful!

And HUGE:
1A0015BA-4315-4D4D-B6AC-F46E1355BE14-2258-0000027269914AD8_zps33b7f93c.jpg

I was expecting it to be the size of a normal book, so this was a great surprise. Unfortunately, I only had time to skim through it, checking out the English version of the timeline and some of the art, but I'm very satisfied with the purchase already.

Very nice^^^

I've been meaning to pick one, was thinking the paperback but might just wait til I can pay the extra for the Hardcover.

EDIT

Shit $20 is alright, I was thinking it would be much more expensive.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Just received Hyrule Historia in the mail from Amazon. My goodness, it is beautiful!

And HUGE:
1A0015BA-4315-4D4D-B6AC-F46E1355BE14-2258-0000027269914AD8_zps33b7f93c.jpg

I was expecting it to be the size of a normal book, so this was a great surprise. Unfortunately, I only had time to skim through it, checking out the English version of the timeline and some of the art, but I'm very satisfied with the purchase already.

god damn

when did u order yours?

i ordedred like jan 27th.. and it wont rock up til mid march

If you dig game art books I thoroughly recommend the Okami book on Amazon. I will go on record as saying it is the finest collection of videogame concept art ever printed on organic material.

jambo

I've played a few Zelda games over the years and thoroughly enjoyed them, but I'm not the type of person who'll rush out in the first month and buy them straight up.

Plus I've always been a PC gamer at the core so it's always been a sidelined thing.

Shaneus

Pretty much! First place I'd check out is Specsavers. Probably as cheap as you'll get, have some good, basic designs without overburdening you with choice and they have them everywhere so if you have a complaint about them then I'm pretty sure you can go to any outlet to get them fixed/repaired or whatever.

Are you long or short sighted? Permanent or just for specific occasions?

PS. Glasses are rad. Join the club!

Deeku

It's a pity I don't have that magical connection with the Zelda franchise a lot of people do :T
i can sorta understand that. i love zelda, but i don't know if i really need a fat book on it. but it's only 20 buck so hmmm...

speaking of fat books, yag you got your ni no kuni book yet? good?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Pretty much! First place I'd check out is Specsavers. Probably as cheap as you'll get, have some good, basic designs without overburdening you with choice and they have them everywhere so if you have a complaint about them then I'm pretty sure you can go to any outlet to get them fixed/repaired or whatever.

Are you long or short sighted? Permanent or just for specific occasions?

PS. Glasses are rad. Join the club!

Long sighted I guess. They certainly made a different reading the lovely letters on the board when I was getting them checked.

He pretty much said my eyes are fine, they are able to read beyond what's required for driving in melb etc. So they are pretty much situational, Just to help me see further along when required.

my optometrist made them there. i miss him, he had all sorts of fun toys and things to look at. quite a collection of pencil top toy things too.

Shaneus

Indeed, quality post from your good self though.
Cheers, but regardless of how good it is, it doesn't match up to the fact that I subconsciously figured that my post would make any kind of difference to the complete twits posting in that thread probably makes me dumber than they are.

Long sighted I guess. They certainly made a different reading the lovely letters on the board when I was getting them checked.

He pretty much said my eyes are fine, they are able to read beyond what's required for driving in melb etc. So they are pretty much situational, Just to help me see further along when required.
Ah, that means you're short sighted, then. If you're long-sighted, it means you can see distances better than closer, and short-sighted if you can see closer better than further away. I started off being largely short-sighted but still okay, but because I was so short-sighted I basically had to wear them all the time (which I think actually made my short-sightedness even more severe, to the point where I can't focus on anything beyond 6 inches or so from my face.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/02/05/are-fans-to-blame-for-lower-than-expected-dmc-sales/

Eric Kain spitting truth bombs. The gaming journalism industry is fundamentally broken.
Forbes have been knocking it out of the park with some of their articles. I've never made a point of checking them out before, but after reading that article you posted and this one on how exactly the latest iOS jailbreak works, I might visit them more often.

Not bad for a finance site.

Has anyone created a thread for that article? If not, you totally should.

What does that brenna fool think of the latest mcv rant about DMC?
Business as usual. They worship the all mighty dollar.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/02/05/are-fans-to-blame-for-lower-than-expected-dmc-sales/

Eric Kain spitting truth bombs. The gaming journalism industry is fundamentally broken.

Forbes don't need to suck the sweaty balls of gaming publishers to exist so they are happy to publish unbiased opinions.

It’s almost—almost!—as if some people think game publishers are entitled to sales regardless of whether or not customers particularly care for the product.

Seems logical!

How is the nexus 4 death??????
It's back in stock on the store, buy it and find out.
Someone at work got one on Friday. They're a pretty nice phone. Not necessarily worth the upgrade from the Galaxy Nexus (though it is definitely faster, and HDR photo functionality may be useful for some), but if you're looking for a new phone you won't find much to hate.

Except no removable battery

Yagharek

Forbes have been knocking it out of the park with some of their articles. I've never made a point of checking them out before, but after reading that article you posted and this one on how exactly the latest iOS jailbreak works, I might visit them more often.

Not bad for a finance site.

Has anyone created a thread for that article? If not, you totally should.

It's in this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511767&page=20

Ben Parfitt called everyone on GAF a bunch of cunts (paraphrasing) because DmC sales were revised down by 40%. Apparently gamers are a bunch of whinging entitled losers (invoking the idiocy of brenna here) for not buying a game because of whatever reasons.

I thought being made by Ninja Theory was enough of a reason to give a game a miss, personally.

Anyway, MCV "journalists" are being entitled by thinking a game should sell because marketers want it to. If gamers vote with their wallets and explain why they don't like a game, then apparently they are being 'spiteful'.

Someone at work got one on Friday. They're a pretty nice phone. Not necessarily worth the upgrade from the Galaxy Nexus (though it is definitely faster, and HDR photo functionality may be useful for some), but if you're looking for a new phone you won't find much to hate.

Except no removable battery

It looks so similar but feels so different from the gnex. Upgrade in terms of screen quality and gaming performance is too good. GTA Vice City runs flawlessly at max visual settings. It used to lag a bit on the gnex.

I also rooted the phone and used the ps3 controller to play games on it. Gotta love android!

Battery is pretty good. Charged it at noon yesterday, still has 31% left after heavy usage playing games, installing apps etc.

For $400, this phone is totally worth it. I regret paying $500 for the gnex last year.

It's back in stock on the store, buy it and find out.

GODLY

or should i wait for the s4 mid year
note: i need a new phone
It looks so similar but feels so different from the gnex. Upgrade in terms of screen quality and gaming performance is too good. GTA Vice City runs flawlessly at max visual settings. It used to lag a bit on the gnex.

I also rooted the phone and used the ps3 controller to play games on it. Gotta love android!

Battery is pretty good. Charged it at noon yesterday, still has 31% left after heavy usage playing games, installing apps etc.

For $400, this phone is totally worth it. I regret paying $500 for the gnex last year.

i think thats still crazy that ypou can play real games on a phone
my school laptop from 07 chugged a bit with vc

It's a new battery, so not surprising. In 18 months it'll be lucky to last a day without a top-up charge (might be easy on a wireless charging mat, though), and you'll wish it was removable...

... or you'll just buy the next one.

Shaneus

It's in this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511767&page=20

Ben Parfitt called everyone on GAF a bunch of cunts (paraphrasing) because DmC sales were revised down by 40%. Apparently gamers are a bunch of whinging entitled losers (invoking the idiocy of brenna here) for not buying a game because of whatever reasons.

I thought being made by Ninja Theory was enough of a reason to give a game a miss, personally.

Anyway, MCV "journalists" are being entitled by thinking a game should sell because marketers want it to. If gamers vote with their wallets and explain why they don't like a game, then apparently they are being 'spiteful'.
Thanks for the summary. Like journalists aren't doing enough already to build that fucking wall between themselves and gamers.

Bet he didn't even have to pay for the game himself.

Fredescu

Like journalists aren't doing enough already to build that fucking wall between themselves and gamers.

He writes for MCV so their target audience isn't gamers. Not that that excuses his bizarre logic, but MCV will always run a pro business angle when they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom