• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Really? I thought it was close to on par with the Fallout 3 rage from what I saw.

Yeah, well, I never really thought NMA was that big a blip on the fan rage radar either, at least to the larger gaming community. They were always regarded as die-hards by both the media and everybody else...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511872

I cant post in this thread, or else I'll get banned for saying something rude to a certain pro-murder conservative.
The link in that thread to the Last Statements made by Death Row Inmates just before their execution is... quite affecting. While I expected a certain number of them to be proclamations of innocence, comments about religion, etc, I didn't expect as many to be quite eloquent statements about their lives, what they did in the past, expressed sorrow towards the victims families, sorrow toward what they've put their own families through and also about the practice of executing inmates.

This was not an expectation that was born of any expected demographics of the inmates but because of the situation they are about to face. Sure, for many of these people they've had time to think about what's about to happen but being able to articulate it just before their death (and as they are being injected, if I'm interpreting some of their last words correctly) is staggering.

It's reading things like these that gives me those pauses where it fully (or as fully as it can) dawns on me the circumstances under which some people lives their lives. I means, I know many people are dealing with serious matters in their lives, whether it be their own, the life of a loved taken by another or a family member about to be taken for what they've done but this crystallizes it, gives it a name, a glimpse into their lives and so becomes much more of a reality.

Sorry, I'm not trying to bring the debate into this thread. Truly, I'm not. My comments didn't really seem to fit the tone or subject matter of that thread and yet I felt compelled to comment about the poise that some people showed at the very end.

Yeah, well, I never really thought NMA was that big a blip on the fan rage radar either, at least to the larger gaming community. They were always regarded as die-hards by both the media and everybody else...

They got alot of coverage from the games media. Much moreso than the dmc fans which are much more prominant and outspoken here on gaf than oldschool fallout fans.

I just don't see how you could say there was no noticable revolt if you had followed the reactions here to every little piece of media or developer comment made over the last 9 months or so. DMC rage train has been front page pretty much that entire time.

Yagharek

So I tried to play Deus Ex HR again. Had it on xbox, got rid of xbox, tried it today on ps3. It's pretty savage in terms of how quick it kills you, and playing stealthily is pretty much impossible on the prologue mission going by the AI vision.

I haven't had my character die so easily (or frequently) since a reckless/desperate terrorist in Rainbow Six 3 went on a shotgun rampage. I dont think I have the patience for this.

Jintor

It's reading things like these that gives me those pauses where it fully (or as fully as it can) dawns on me the circumstances under which some people lives their lives. I means, I know many people are dealing with serious matters in their lives, whether it be their own, the life of a loved taken by another or a family member about to be taken for what they've done but this crystallizes it, gives it a name, a glimpse into their lives and so becomes much more of a reality.

I still feel one of the biggest realisations that hit me sometime during adolescence was that as complicated and strange and complex my own somewhat mundane life was, everybody else is leading their own life that is at the very least just as rich and vibrant and full of experiences as my own. Like... some kind of empathy thing that really hit me at some point.

I just don't see how you could say there was no noticable revolt if you had followed the reactions here to every little piece of media or developer comment made over the last 9 months or so. DMC rage train has been front page pretty much that entire time.

It just didn't seem very potent is my feeble explanation. I knew it was there, I just didn't think it meant anything worth writing a dumb ill-thought-out article about

Really? I thought it was close to on par with the Fallout 3 rage from what I saw.

Yeah there were massive bitchfests from the moment the Ninja Theory reboot was announced, and they continued every time info of any sort (trailer/news/screenshot) came out. On GAF I think it might even have been more bitter and one-sided than the ME3 ending stuff.

I still feel one of the biggest realisations that hit me sometime during adolescence was that as complicated and strange and complex my own somewhat mundane life was, everybody else is leading their own life that is at the very least just as rich and vibrant and full of experiences as my own. Like... some kind of empathy thing that really hit me at some point.
I completely understand that. It's not like I don't realise that people are living their own lives but the stories that some of the people tell just hit hard with the reality of their situations. People that have spent the last 4 years visiting someone on death row. People living with the death of a loved one. People rebuilding their lives. People faced with their own death. People asking for forgiveness for the person that has to administer the injection. People faced with examining their perceptions of themselves and the realities of their actions. It's seeing the names, the dates and knowing that happened, that gives it more gravitas. Any other time I think of these concepts they are just abstract concepts with no grounding in reality. I feel like I'm stating the obvious and I am, but there's a shield that many people build around themselves to insulate themselves from these harsh realities. Stuff like this really gets through my defenses and hits me.

Thanks for the response :)

DAT POLLARD SUPERMAN CATCHES STALLIN LAST OVERS

Deus Ex 3? Did several no kill runs, first playthrough was tranq only!
Aside from bosses of course :/

I thought 2 years was the average turnaround given that the majority of consumer-affordable contracts are about that long.
Yeah that is my deal, "free" phone every 2 years on contract.

That's not good for your wallet, is it? $50 for the game you have to buy for him now :p
$36! :/

Instead grabbed him a $12 tool bench kit! Thing is fucking awesome!

Will buy Leapster Explorer game from eBay lol

I'm sure you'd be happier if the shit went in the toilet. At least he made an effort. :p
It did! He even did it without the wife knowing, she just heard kids getting dropped off to the pool while she was hanging up the washing! He went 3 times today by himself.

Proud as fuck.

I don't remember the Fallout 3 rage being that huge aside from those who wanted a true Fallout 3 rather than the eventual Bethesda spin off.

Does seem like an apt comparison though! Both DmC and Fallout 3 are good games, just a different creature to the titles that came before them.

The PR campaign for DmC was fucking awful. Just alienated all their IP fans.

d'aww! Say goodbye to cleaning the potty and dirty nappies!

Also, you should train your kid to be a basketball extraordinaire like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmMbm78sEB4
look at him, he's better at basketball than I ever will be :(

HE SHALL BE BASKETBALL

I really do think he will be good at basketball, he loves to play with it despite still being T-Rex like in the arms and is really tall for his age.

Shaneus

The link in that thread to the Last Statements made by Death Row Inmates just before their execution is... quite affecting. While I expected a certain number of them to be proclamations of innocence, comments about religion, etc, I didn't expect as many to be quite eloquent statements about their lives, what they did in the past, expressed sorrow towards the victims families, sorrow toward what they've put their own families through and also about the practice of executing inmates.

This was not an expectation that was born of any expected demographics of the inmates but because of the situation they are about to face. Sure, for many of these people they've had time to think about what's about to happen but being able to articulate it just before their death (and as they are being injected, if I'm interpreting some of their last words correctly) is staggering.

Sorry, I'm not trying to bring the debate into this thread. Truly, I'm not. My comments didn't really seem to fit the tone or subject matter of that thread and yet I felt compelled to comment about the poise that some people showed at the very end.
I haven't seen that thread, but can totally grasp what you mean. In a way, I guess these people are granted something relatively few of us in the outside world would get to experience, and that's a chance to have their "life flash before their eyes" at their own pace. I suppose when you have a definitive end point for your life, even the most hardened criminal is somewhat likely to have an epiphany that results in eloquence few of us would have ever expected.

It actually reminds me of someone on another forum I frequent who passed away recently. He knew he was going to succumb to cancer within a somewhat certain period, so thankfully (with the aid of his life insurance policy) he had a chance to live a portion of his life literally like it was his last, with no restrictions. Got to buy all the consoles he wanted (I have a feeling he was glad to experience the Wii U, even if only for a month or so) and did some travelling as well.

Fuck me. I always seem to have some kind of an epiphany on an internet forum when even lightly prompted about my own mortality. Jesus.

Ningo

My son took a shit on the toilet! Crying tears of proudness right here.

Still some training to go I think!

Didn't by chance take him to the Austral in early December?

Because when we went there for last drinks after the work Christmas party someone had shat on the toilet. /vomit

I haven't seen that thread, but can totally grasp what you mean. In a way, I guess these people are granted something relatively few of us in the outside world would get to experience, and that's a chance to have their "life flash before their eyes" at their own pace. I suppose when you have a definitive end point for your life, even the most hardened criminal is somewhat likely to have an epiphany that results in eloquence few of us would have ever expected.

It actually reminds me of someone on another forum I frequent who passed away recently. He knew he was going to succumb to cancer within a somewhat certain period, so thankfully (with the aid of his life insurance policy) he had a chance to live a portion of his life literally like it was his last, with no restrictions. Got to buy all the consoles he wanted (I have a feeling he was glad to experience the Wii U, even if only for a month or so) and did some travelling as well.
I can definitively understand the "opportunity" that these inmates have been afforded "granted" by having a date and time of their end. While it's something that many may wish for it's not something that I would be thankful for, especially in that situation. I can see that it would potentially allow each person the appropriate time to reflect, take stock, put everything in perspective and weight up the choices that they've made in their life and how they've affected others with the consequences of those actions.

It still surprises me, though. I'm not sure what effect being seconds away from execution has upon a person, whether it be an emotional breakdown or a sudden moment of clarity where your thoughts become crystalline and you're given a clarity of what's important. From reading a lot of those statements, I'm surprised by the percentage of inmates that are taken with an eloquence that very few people have when in normal or high pressure situations in life. Perhaps it's a combination of the time and situations. I guess we'll never know for sure.

I'm also sorry to hear about your friend, too. I'm glad that he had the forewarning to be able to do things and potentially gain some closure with those around him. I think, if you were able to asked the recently deceased the question "what do you regret most about your life?" some people would lament the way in which they left their relationships with friends and family. Sadness about the last thing they said to those they loved and that they weren't able to get closure with them. It sounds like he was given that opportunity which would be both a blessing.

Fuck me. I always seem to have some kind of an epiphany on an internet forum when even lightly prompted about my own mortality. Jesus.
Heh. I rarely get moved by film/tv/books but faced with the realities of other peoples lives and emotions? Gets me almost every time.

The Project sure gave a lot of air time to a woman smoking during her third pregnancy

Oh that's right, Channel 10 also air the Aussie version of The View

Yagharek

What possible reason could there be to be optimistic, shan? It's not a vote-winner in an election year where the result is a foregone conclusion. The likely next government has a firm 'no' position on the matter. It is categorically off the cards until 2017 at the absolute earliest as a result. Since 1 term governments are very rare, make that 2020. The conservative (and loud) christian lobby element will make it impossible for the coalition to ever adopt a conscience vote as policy, let alone a yes vote.

Realistically, labor are the most likely to do it, even despite the last 6 years of them also being as much 'no' on the matter as the lib/nats.

Maybe it will go through if there is a green government, and we know the odds of that happening.

senahorse

Saw a big spool of NBN cable being fed underground just up the road from our house today, I can smell that NBN coming, and Tony, you won't be able to do a thing about it :D

Saw a big spool of NBN cable being fed underground just up the road from our house today, I can smell that NBN coming, and Tony, you won't be able to do a thing about it :D

Now I want Tony to win even more, just to see the political cartoons of him as Hulk ripping the cables out of the ground lol

Ningo

Small world, girl who used to date my mate is Jurrah's lawyer.

I thought the afl and port were giving him support?

She's fresh out of uni, must be working for legal aid.

Rezbit

Feel sorry for the bloke. Must be a hell of a thing coming from the community he did, and then being thrust into the spotlight.

Also, god damn can't people in Canberra make a good pitch? This is tennis ball on concrete stuff.

Shaneus

I'm also sorry to hear about your friend, too. I'm glad that he had the forewarning to be able to do things and potentially gain some closure with those around him. I think, if you were able to asked the recently deceased the question "what do you regret most about your life?" some people would lament the way in which they left their relationships with friends and family. Sadness about the last thing they said to those they loved and that they weren't able to get closure with them. It sounds like he was given that opportunity which would be both a blessing.
To be honest, I wouldn't have said I knew him much better than either yourself or anyone else on a forum, but from someone who was closer to him and had attended his funeral, one of the things we'd heard was that whilst he didn't have an SO or kids, with the insurance money he got he was able to "take care" of his family as well as do a bunch of stuff that he probably wouldn't have done in his lifetime had he not been sick.

And having heard about how full his life was outside this particular forum (which, for comparison, I consider very much to be just like AusGAF, but as a forum on it's own... if not with an even closer group of people) and video games (his other hobbies really knocked me for six, in a good way) the one thing that was noted was that a day before he died, he'd somehow had the physical strength to visit the forum one last time. God damnit :(

What possible reason could there be to be optimistic, shan? It's not a vote-winner in an election year where the result is a foregone conclusion. The likely next government has a firm 'no' position on the matter. It is categorically off the cards until 2017 at the absolute earliest as a result. Since 1 term governments are very rare, make that 2020. The conservative (and loud) christian lobby element will make it impossible for the coalition to ever adopt a conscience vote as policy, let alone a yes vote.

Realistically, labor are the most likely to do it, even despite the last 6 years of them also being as much 'no' on the matter as the lib/nats.

Maybe it will go through if there is a green government, and we know the odds of that happening.

Abbott is still ridiculously unpopular. Dreading about 'when the libs get in' is pointlessly pessimistic. If labor gets a better majority and realizes that the homophobic 1% really are just 1% I'd say there's a pretty decent chance. The greens are also steadily gaining support. But who can say at this point? I'd rather remain hopeful than plan out the long years ahead that we might spend not having same sex marriage.

Danoss

It did! He even did it without the wife knowing, she just heard kids getting dropped off to the pool while she was hanging up the washing! He went 3 times today by himself.

Proud as fuck.

Of course it did, and you should be very a proud dad. I was just making a bad joke.

Yagharek

Abbott is still ridiculously unpopular. Dreading about 'when the libs get in' is pointlessly pessimistic. If labor gets a better majority and realizes that the homophobic 1% really are just 1% I'd say there's a pretty decent chance. The greens are also steadily gaining support. But who can say at this point? I'd rather remain hopeful than plan out the long years ahead that we might spend not having same sex marriage.

Dread? I'm not dreading, just pointing out the inevitability. They are against SSM, and they will likely be the next government. There is no way its happening in the rest of this decade barring a miracle.

There is optimism and fantasy land, and I'm afraid you're living in the latter if you think this could change anytime soon.

markot

Banned
Feel sorry for the bloke. Must be a hell of a thing coming from the community he did, and then being thrust into the spotlight.

Also, god damn can't people in Canberra make a good pitch? This is tennis ball on concrete stuff.

Go to hell hitler!

Our grass is too good for this cricket shit crap.

Dread? I'm not dreading, just pointing out the inevitability. They are against SSM, and they will likely be the next government. There is no way its happening in the rest of this decade barring a miracle.

There is optimism and fantasy land, and I'm afraid you're living in the latter if you think this could change anytime soon.

Hey, fantasy land is definitely more fun :p I honestly can't see Tony Abbott becoming PM though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom