• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

Can't see that happening. If it did games would have to be significantly cheaper, otherwise no dice.

I am not sure that is strictly the case, people have been buying into this model with DLC / PSN / Xbox's marketplace etc for a while now. It really is just an extension that also encompasses your physically bought items.

(If it actually comes to pass)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I wish I understood audio equipment, receivers, amps, speakers and all that shit. It would make potentially buying something easier.

I wouldn't mind upgrading my PC speakers. Currently still using a logitech Z680 setup connected to my fancy soundcard Asus STX.

The speakers aren't too bad since I can hook up my PS3 via optical, although I think that's how my PC is setup at the moment. But they at least offer some flexibility in connectivity.

The soundcard is more for headphones than speakers but I honestly can't stand my AD700s. They seriously cause me to go partly deaf for half a week or more after using them for X amount of hours on a single day.

I could buy a 2 speaker setup but then I don't know if that allows for expansion if I ever get my own place and move whatever into the lounge. Maybe I keep them connected to the PC in another room or maybe etc etc.

Choices and decisions are too damn hard for me. Window shopping is where it's at.

Fusebox

Banned

Hmmm, thanks man that's odd, I couldn't find it sarching for tales, space or mutant on my Vita.

edit: Lol I just clicked your link from my Vita browser. "The Sony Entertainment Network Store is not Supported by this Browser."

Class.

I ended up buying it on my PC and then it appeared in the Download section on my Vita. Sweet. Sorted. Ta.

Omikron

This drugs in sport presser that is on atm is huge.

A quote from this report.

Widespread use of peptides has been identified, or is suspected by the ACC, in a number of professional sporting codes in Australia. Although the use of peptides appears to be more widespread in some major codes, individuals from a number of other sports are also suspected of using peptides. Multiple players (in one code) from a number of clubs are suspected of currently using or having previously used peptides, which could constitute an anti-doping rule violation.

Some players have also been identified as sourcing peptides for personal use. An instance of team-based doping, orchestrated by some club officials and coaching staff, has also been identified. Apart from the peptide’s anabolic effects, it has been found that injured elite athletes, particularly players from one sporting code, have been using peptides to assist in rehabilitating soft tissue injuries. While the level of suspected use of peptides varies between sporting codes, officials from one club have been identified as administering, via injections and intravenous drips, a variety of substances, possibly including peptides. Moreover, the substances were
administered at levels which were possibly in breach of WADA anti-doping rules. This activity was orchestrated by some club officials and the club’s high performance unit.

Youtube presser link

markot

Banned
Details? I know what the press is reporting but I didn't get to watch it live. What was amazing? Sounds like there's some pretty major stuff going on.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-07/4505884

Has a summary. Its pretty massive.

The report's key points:

The use of prohibited substances, including peptides, hormones and illicit drugs, is widespread amongst professional athletes. Especially cricket.
Evidence indicates it's not a majority of athletes. Especially cricket.
But multiple athletes across a number of codes are implicated. Especially cricket.
Players are being administered with drugs not yet approved for human use. Especially cricket.
The doping is being facilitated by sports scientists, coaches, support staff, doctors and pharmacists. Especially cricket.
Organised crime is involved in the distribution of the drugs and in one possible case, match-fixing. Especially cricket.
The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority will get new powers to conduct a "full and unhindered investigation". Especially cricket.

I wish I understood audio equipment, receivers, amps, speakers and all that shit. It would make potentially buying something easier.

Choices and decisions are too damn hard for me. Window shopping is where it's at.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/746

ma-15d_cw_angle_gal.jpg

These are really handy speakers with multiple inputs for hooking up two devices with a volume knob for each (meaning you can mix them together if you want). There are also a few smaller models. They are cakewalk branded now but they are made by Roland who are a very reputable synthesizer manufacturer (though old stock might be around with Edirol branding)

Stereo of course but very flexible and they sound decent.

Omikron

Details? I know what the press is reporting but I didn't get to watch it live. What was amazing? Sounds like there's some pretty major stuff going on.

At the start it sorted sounded like hot air, lots of 'we need to do better' type commentary etc etc, but then as the questions rolled in and you give that document a read, seems like the amount of investigation that has gone on is quite extensive and that the drug usage is almost a requirement in many codes.

Towards the end it was mentioned that 2 codes in particular have major problems with drug use and that their CEOs have had briefings etc. NRL guy in particular seemed fairly forthcoming in saying that he was talking to many clubs and players. Fairly sure the other code is AFL.

Gallop from the A-League mentioned his code was not directly implicated via the report. But who knows, there was a report/news article re gambling and the A-League.

Not much time was spent on the betting / gambling angle, but I get the feeling there is a lot to go there as well. Personally, not before time.

Still need information on who / what / when / how etc, but I am in the mind it will come out.

For Australia to be so implicated in drug taking is huge considering the 'holier than thou' attitude most of the public takes to our sporting people etc.

Fredescu

Towards the end it was mentioned that 2 codes in particular have major problems with drug use and that their CEOs have had briefings etc. NRL guy in particular seemed fairly forthcoming in saying that he was talking to many clubs and players.
The NRL have just appointed a former Federal Court judge to head up an integrity unit! Based on that, I wouldn't be surprised if the lions share of the problems are in the NRL.

Danoss

Monitors are terrible to listen to music on. Designed to be as neutral as possible also makes them as boring as possible.

Kritz

Banned
If that is true, it'll be an absolute write off in Australia. BANDWIDTH CRISIS!

If it helps new consoles will probably release sometime in 2014 here so we have an extra six months to work on getting bandwidth to people.

god please be a worldwide release :(

jambo

If it helps new consoles will probably release sometime in 2014 here so we have an extra six months to work on getting bandwidth to people.

god please be a worldwide release :(

I think I heard something like PS4 in NA was 2013 and EU/JP was early 2014. Seems realistic.

legend166

At the start it sorted sounded like hot air, lots of 'we need to do better' type commentary etc etc, but then as the questions rolled in and you give that document a read, seems like the amount of investigation that has gone on is quite extensive and that the drug usage is almost a requirement in many codes.

Towards the end it was mentioned that 2 codes in particular have major problems with drug use and that their CEOs have had briefings etc. NRL guy in particular seemed fairly forthcoming in saying that he was talking to many clubs and players. Fairly sure the other code is AFL.

Gallop from the A-League mentioned his code was not directly implicated via the report. But who knows, there was a report/news article re gambling and the A-League.

Not much time was spent on the betting / gambling angle, but I get the feeling there is a lot to go there as well. Personally, not before time.

Still need information on who / what / when / how etc, but I am in the mind it will come out.

For Australia to be so implicated in drug taking is huge considering the 'holier than thou' attitude most of the public takes to our sporting people etc.

It seems to happen in a lot of western countries. They look at China or the East Germans or something and their doping and wag their fingers, then you look at America and the MLB is rife with PEDs and when people in the NFL get busted they only get suspended for four games.

I hope any and all involved get thrown out. I hate drug cheats.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Monitors are terrible to listen to music on. Designed to be as neutral as possible also makes them as boring as possible.

I guess that depends on the type of music you listen to? I dunno to be honest.

I know that a lot of the mid to high end "PC Speakers" are essentially monitors. It's what people recommend these days when you want a good 2.0 or 2.1 speaker setup. Audioengine / aktimate are the goto's for suggestions these days. There's a few sets of swans that get thrown around as well.

I guess there's going to be a difference between speakers for your PC and speakers for your lounge room. Even though they all seem the same to me!

Danoss

I guess that depends on the type of music you listen to? I dunno to be honest.

Monitors aren't designed for musical enjoyment, they're designed for musical production.

I'll repeat my advice that I have dispensed in this thread on a number of occasions. Go into a proper audio store and listen to some nice bookshelf speakers. My brand preference is Dynaudio and, since our musical tastes seem to overlap somewhat, I think you'll very much enjoy the sound they produce. I do not recommend going larger than the Excite X12 model unless you have a very large room. There are plenty of stereo amps that will power these things and the staff in the store can surely help you find a suitable one.

jambo

Why?, It will just be a heartbeat if so, it's not exactly going to require a lot of bandwidth.

It's pretty annoying though.

My missus never has her PS3 signed in to PSN. She just turns it on, puts the disc in and plays.

If there's a patch that adds some major stuff or fixes some big bugs then she'll go online and update, but 95% of the time it's offline mode.

Plus her PS3 is in a part of the house that is far away from the wireless point, so it drops out sometimes. Imagine if she was using her PS3 and it kicked her out because it required an always online connection to PSN!

Also, a lot of always online services like Battle.net and the old ubi stuff will go down for scheduled maintenance, or just because of a problem. Maybe something in between is causing issues. The new CoD comes out and the servers can't handle it, meaning players of other games and general users are effected.

It just sounds like a bad idea for now. Maybe when everyone has fibre and game servers aren't going up and down like yo-yos it will work.

senahorse

Just remember Cookie, good quality sound is subjective, we all have different thresholds of what is considered good and bad. Just go to an audio store, play some of the music you like and buy what YOU think sounds best.

Hmmm, thanks man that's odd, I couldn't find it sarching for tales, space or mutant on my Vita.

edit: Lol I just clicked your link from my Vita browser. "The Sony Entertainment Network Store is not Supported by this Browser."

Class.

I ended up buying it on my PC and then it appeared in the Download section on my Vita. Sweet. Sorted. Ta.
No worries, glad to help.

Also, the webstore is not supported on either the Vita or PS3 browsers. Even Sony knows we don't want to use the PS3 store.

senahorse

It's pretty annoying though.

My missus never has her PS3 signed in to PSN. She just turns it on, puts the disc in and plays.

If there's a patch that adds some major stuff or fixes some big bugs then she'll go online and update, but 95% of the time it's offline mode.

Plus her PS3 is in a part of the house that is far away from the wireless point, so it drops out sometimes. Imagine if she was using her PS3 and it kicked her out because it required an always online connection to PSN!

Also, a lot of always online services like Battle.net and the old ubi stuff will go down for scheduled maintenance, or just because of a problem. Maybe something in between is causing issues. The new CoD comes out and the servers can't handle it, meaning players of other games and general users are effected.

It just sounds like a bad idea for now. Maybe when everyone has fibre and game servers aren't going up and down like yo-yos it will work.

I agree it will be annoying, I was merely pointing out from a bandwidth perspective it's kind of a moot point (even in Australia, unless you are in an area with wireless/3G only or you have a really bad quality line and experience multiple dropouts a day, but you can usually address such issues if you have a setting to adjust your SNR), a dialup connection would be able to handle it.

Note I am not sticking up for this type of DRM, but, it's inevitable. A lot of us have been used to it with Steam for many years.

Danoss

Just remember Cookie, good quality sound is subjective, we all have different thresholds of what is considered good and bad. Just go to an audio store, play some of the music you like and buy what YOU think sounds best.

That's all that needs to be done. It really is that simple. Bring some music that you know inside and out, you'll know what you like/dislike all the more.

I went in and tested a whole bunch and walked out with some Dynaudio DM2/6 speakers and an amp. A friend of mine went into the same store and walked out with the same amp and a pair of Paradigm Studio 10 speakers. I thought his choice sounded shrill, but he liked them and that's all that matters.

Bookshelf speakers are all that you'll need, I swear. They may not be much to look at in terms of size, but they sure deliver.

senahorse

I have friends (former...just kidding :)) that swear by those BOSE satellite speakers, I think they sound like crap, but who am I to argue with them :)

Just a note, I would love some of those Dynaudio speakers, for now I just stick to my Energys until I can afford something else.

Shaneus

I bought a pair of these a few months ago based on reviews only, very happy with them for the price (hell, for the price I'd have paid twice as much and still been over the moon):
VXiyGD3.jpg

Linky and pricey and reviewy

If I had to recommend *monitors*, I've been rocking these for a few years and love the shit out of them:
DuEyXOZl.jpg

I think they're going for around $200 each (not as a pair) these days and have a number of adjustments on them so they sound less clinical and more enjoyable. But being 5" drivers, there's very little bottom end to them. I'm still working up the courage to buy the matched sub, which is still going for around $600 (and I will when I finally start making music and not just listening to it).

Danoss

Sometimes I wonder if people can hear advertising pressure through speakers. That's the only understanding I would have for people buying Bose. But, it's not my money and not my ears, so no skin off my back, really.

I am not sure that is strictly the case, people have been buying into this model with DLC / PSN / Xbox's marketplace etc for a while now. It really is just an extension that also encompasses your physically bought items.

(If it actually comes to pass)

Yeah I've been buying into the model when it comes to downloadable games ie. under $20 is my throw away price, as in ill happily delete it after I've finished playing it. Whereas if I was forced to do the same with a $80 game id be much pickier about what I purchased.

Yagharek

I'm glad the anti-consumer mindset of platform holders and publishers is starting to become clearer. It makes it much easier to make buying decisions.

Omikron

The NRL have just appointed a former Federal Court judge to head up an integrity unit! Based on that, I wouldn't be surprised if the lions share of the problems are in the NRL.

yeah... and the Essendon thing recently kinda points to the AFL having heavy involvement.

jambo

whoa mini home studio?

or is that like the average audiophile setup?

That would be a huge waste if he wasn't using it as a studio =P

yeah... and the Essendon thing recently kinda points to the AFL having heavy involvement.

Just saw the back of today's Advertiser, Warren Tredrea claiming he was offered performance enhancing drugs =O

Would not surprise me in the slightest.

senahorse

I'm glad the anti-consumer mindset of platform holders and publishers is starting to become clearer. It makes it much easier to make buying decisions.

That may be true now, but this will be the last generation where this type of DRM doesn't exist uniformly over every platform. It will be interesting to see if consoles as we have today will survive through it. Personally for a console I just want my Panasonic/Sony/Pioneer box that plays games from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/everyone else, then let the platform (software holders) differentiate through software and control options.

Re. audio guys, remember that a properly matched amp is also really important. I bought a cheap first amp (about $700 I think?) and it was under powered for the floorstanders I ended up with (not that I need them really where I am now, but that's what I've got). I bought a much nicer amp a few years back and the same set of speakers (and they're not exactly a high quality brand) sound way better.

I'm still rocking my 12 year-old Yamaha 2.1 piece of shit system. I should probably look at getting something better for the PC.

31CVD86445L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom