• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got some games with similar trophy % that I've finnished the campaign on. Uncharted GA springs to mind straight away only like 15% complete on the trophy list but fully finnished the campaign.

The cheevos he does have though show only some progress through the campaign.

In any case he could very well have done a lot of it offline. Strange though as most reviewers would take their gamertag to the office with them wouldn't they? Someone of his position at the very least, rather than have MS put 2 gamertags on the DO NOT BAN FOR PLAYING EARLY list.

RY4InoC.jpg

Deeku

Aw was hoping WI would win so the series wouldn't already be won..good effort though!

Also just caved in and bought the rest of the FFs before the sale ends. Then I forgot I had VI on gba so probably didn't need to get that...but yeah, never gona touch em lol..:/

Jintor

Aw was hoping WI would win so the series wouldn't already be won..good effort though!

Also just caved in and bought the rest of the FFs before the sale ends. Then I forgot I had VI on gba so probably didn't need to get that...but yeah, never gona touch em lol..:/

lol

I at least started FFVII. it's alright so far

Sounds like the PC space these days tbh.

No second hand market will mean Xbox games get about as much retailer shelf space as PC.

Can't see it happening yet, they will push DD hard until printing retail discs because an uneconomical proposition before pissing off Gamestop that much.

Yagharek

What happened to you Vince, you used to be cool. Have you nothing better to do than continually pick fights in a thread that is supposed to be non-fighty?

Did you see the steam thread about gabe making some throwaway comment about player characters being retarded and autistic? The whales and dolphins picture was subject to the same kind of missed point. You weren't the only one who fell for it.

I just found it funny to see the feigned outrage when the real disgusting practice was being defended under the guise of tradition and misinformation.

I'm not picking any fights. I made a tongue in cheek comment about your apparent idealism regarding SSM (be honest, I doubt you see it happening any time soon either) and you took it to be a post of doom and gloom about Tony Abbott. It was just an acknowledgement of the reality of what will probably happen. The minke whale comment was just poking fun.

SwissLion

Unless I'm missing something in that article it's not entirely clear what comes from the 'sources' and what is interpretation and extrapolation.

The always online thing is totally believable and something pretty much everyone I pay attention to expected. But there are plenty of reasons for it other than locking out second hand sales, and the assertion that that is the reason doesn't seem to be backed up at all.

It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Believed by who? The source? The Edge staff? Readers hungry for sensationalised stories?

Rumor rumouring. "Sources".

Same shit as always.

No second hand games in 2013 just wouldn't fly with Gamestop. Good luck getting them to agree to stock your console and games!

Yagharek

My guess is they're sounding out for reactions. If people are vehemently opposed they might dial some of it back. If people are resigned to it, they'll go ahead.

Personally, I'm cynical enough to assume they will do it, get CoD exclusive support for the first year or two and drag a major segment of the market into the always-connected DRM utopia publishers have dreamed of.

markot

Banned
Yeah, wouldnt be suprised if they get the big publishers on board easy if they try it, score some sweet shit out of the deal and bling bling know what im saying?

SwissLion

My impression (mostly from the bombcast) is that over this generation Gamestop has lost a lot of it's share of the games-selling market to places like Best-Buy and even Target and Wall-Mart.

Still in the clear majority but if that trend continues, places that don't rely on used sales and other stuff that screws publishers and developers could be placed to take over from Gamestop-like places.

So it's definitely possible, but I agree that now is too soon.

My guess is they're sounding out for reactions. If people are vehemently opposed they might dial some of it back. If people are resigned to it, they'll go ahead.

Personally, I'm cynical enough to assume they will do it, get CoD exclusive support for the first year or two and drag a major segment of the market into the always-connected DRM utopia publishers have dreamed of.

CoD exclusivity is 100% not going to happen in the first year or two. They sell way too many on 360 and PS3 to tank their sales on a new system. Maybe exclude the PS4 but that is a hell of a deal to work out with a PS3 version almost assured.

Always online I'm sure they have crunched the numbers on their live totals and look at steam and think they can do it.

Yagharek

Now the question is do sony follow? If they do, a lot of people will bite the bullet and take it. If they don't, it's the equivalent of a free hit.

CoD exclusivity is 100% not going to happen in the first year or two. They sell way too many on 360 and PS3 to tank their sales on a new system. Maybe exclude the PS4 but that is a hell of a deal to work out with a PS3 version almost assured.

Always online I'm sure they have crunched the numbers on their live totals and look at steam and think they can do it.

(I assume you mean PS4?)

I'm just outlining a scenario that would essentially make a large population take the bitter pill and buy one anyway. CoD gamers that I know tend to buy very few games and get a LOT of multiplayer time out of them. Online-only isnt a downer for them, since they have to be online to play it. No second hand isnt a downer for them since they dont buy enough games to make trading even remotely relevant.

IF (big if) MS wanted to pony up the cash for exclusive next gen CoD for just a year or two, it would absolutely sway a lot of early adopters on to their platform. And given both PS4/XB3 won't have huge initial userbases, the cost of buying that exclusivity wouldn't be as high as it would be for say, MW3 when that came out a few years back.

And MS do have that kind of cash.

markot

Banned
it may be an attempt to monetize second hand games. Allow it, but force stores to give new codes which then give a cut off the sale to m soft and publishers. I'm sure they know that second hand sales go toward funding new game sales most of the time.

I doubt it though. The move will never be popular though, they either bite the bullet or don't.

Yagharek

it may be an attempt to monetize second hand games. Allow it, but force stores to give new codes which then give a cut off the sale to m soft and publishers. I'm sure they know that second hand sales go toward funding new game sales most of the time.

Definitely plausible, but if theyre going down this route its probably something with the support of publishers helping to design the restrictions. Now, either publishers recognise they benefit from used sales, or they claim they hurt them. It can't be both.

So if this anti-used system happens, then it must be because of publisher input/preference, and if thats the case then you would assume that either both sony and ms are doing it, or they are going to give a bit more support to whomever does the anti-used system.

Next gen is going to be ugly.

Now the question is do sony follow? If they do, a lot of people will bite the bullet and take it. If they don't, it's the equivalent of a free hit.

(I assume you mean PS4?)

I'm just outlining a scenario that would essentially make a large population take the bitter pill and buy one anyway. CoD gamers that I know tend to buy very few games and get a LOT of multiplayer time out of them. Online-only isnt a downer for them, since they have to be online to play it. No second hand isnt a downer for them since they dont buy enough games to make trading even remotely relevant.

IF (big if) MS wanted to pony up the cash for exclusive next gen CoD for just a year or two, it would absolutely sway a lot of early adopters on to their platform. And given both PS4/XB3 won't have huge initial userbases, the cost of buying that exclusivity wouldn't be as high as it would be for say, MW3 when that came out a few years back.

And MS do have that kind of cash.

No I meant PS3, it sells in the region of 8-10 million on PS3 i think it would be hard for them to work out a deal where it comes for PS3 but not 4 because it is 100% guaranteed to be coming to PS3 for at least the first year possibly 2.

It would cost far too much money to secure exclusivity at least away from the current systems and if it's multi on all the systems from the start it would have an already established base on the PS4.

COD and GTA are just far too big to nail down imo, even things like TES and Assasins Creed would be a big stretch. If you're thinking exclusives that the console makers would have a chance at actually securing you should be looking more at stuff that sells in the range of Borderlands, Far Cry, Mass Effect and Final Fantasy.

Yagharek

PS3 is irrelevant though when talking about next gen systems. If you had a choice between next gen cod or current gen cod, and next gen cod was available on only one system, then you would go for that one.

I'm not suggesting a scenario where it isnt on any current gen system.

PS3 is irrelevant though when talking about next gen systems. If you had a choice between next gen cod or current gen cod, and next gen cod was available on only one system, then you would go for that one.

I'm not suggesting a scenario where it isnt on any current gen system.

Yeah but I'm suggesting it would be hard to work out next gen exclusivity with the way the game is selling. Because of it's popularity on the PS3 it's not so simple to just dump the PS4 imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom