• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

I've learned to put up with the lack of paper manuals included with games. Sly Cooper has to be a new low, though. This is the entire contents of the PS3 Sly Cooper 4:
622F21A3-EC3D-42E0-8F16-52A780F5CD19-2258-000002A9A3F59A9E_zps528d59a0.jpg

I suppose I should at least look on the bright side. At least there was no advertisement slip...

That Sly Cooper 4 case is a bit disappointing.

If I had to recommend *monitors*, I've been rocking these for a few years and love the shit out of them:
DuEyXOZl.jpg

I think they're going for around $200 each (not as a pair) these days and have a number of adjustments on them so they sound less clinical and more enjoyable. But being 5" drivers, there's very little bottom end to them. I'm still working up the courage to buy the matched sub, which is still going for around $600 (and I will when I finally start making music and not just listening to it).

I've been considering getting a pair of these or a pair of KRK Rokit 5s for my little home studio.

Yagharek

Surely this is the way to do it, provide a 'bonus' to those that purchase full retail, don't gimp the actual product itself.

Ive got nothing against bonuses. Club nintendo sort of does it once in a blue moon. Cross purchase is a good idea too. But the thing that makes my ears prick up straight away is the 'uniquely identifiable' bit.

Oh fuck. PS4 used game strategy confirmed.
I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but this isn't new. Sony Japan has a program where owners of PSP UMDs can get a discount off the PSN version to be used with their Vitas. The PSP would read the unique identifier off of the disc and issue a discount for the PSN version. That game could no longer be used to redeem a discount. This caused a little bit of a gamble for people buying up used copied of UMDs trying to get a cheap PSN version.

Also, I know some people are usual interested so, 90 Day PS+ Subscriptions are currently on sale: were $19.95 now $13.45.

Yagharek

I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but this isn't new. Sony Japan has a program where owners of PSP UMDs can get a discount off the PSN version to be used with their Vitas. The PSP would read the unique identifier off of the disc and issue a discount for the PSN version. That game could no longer be used to redeem a discount. This caused a little bit of a gamble for people buying up used copied of UMDs trying to get a cheap PSN version.

Well since PSP programs like that weren't available outside Japan, and now they have taken the same tech to a PS3 game it has a more significant possible consequence for PS4. After all, they had been going with the program of one time use codes printed on the manual for online passes. Now they have stopped doing that and have gone for the unique ID on the disc itself.

Portal 2 has a code on the manual for steam redemption. PSVita games like everybodys golf or wipeout have codes to access online and wipeout hd/fury tracks. But the Sly 4 example is the first time I'm aware of where they have kept the redemption code on the disc itself (outside of the Jp PSP example you mention).

So ... its obviously the method that could be used to tie games to accounts and it is already there, waiting to be used. The only question is, why did they even bother using printed codes for online pass in the first place?

So ... its obviously the method that could be used to tie games to accounts and it is already there, waiting to be used. The only question is, why did they even bother using printed codes for online pass in the first place?
I think the answer is most likely because it's easier to create codes that someone puts in rather than have a database of disc identifiers. It's possibly also because consumers may feel differently about "buying a code" rather than some Big Brother-ish disc recognition system. Also, because Online codes were publisher-based and this would be System based?

Maybe?

Yagharek

Who knows. In either scenario though, it does add an element of doubt as to whether a game has been used before or not (eg stores with return options). A code on a piece of paper might have been claimed already, or photographed if left in the case. A disc might have been used, claimed and returned. Neither confers a sense of security to a potential purchaser unless the shrink wrap is present.

In that sense, both methods serve the same purpose of dissuading second hand sales in that you get an inferior product. (Granted, Sly 4 doesn't do this, rather it offers a benefit to the new customer).

But I'm assuming this is going to become the norm on PS4/XBox3.

In the end it comes down to one question: which publishers will use the carrot, and which will use the stick?

Who knows. In either scenario though, it does add an element of doubt as to whether a game has been used before or not (eg stores with return options). A code on a piece of paper might have been claimed already, or photographed if left in the case. A disc might have been used, claimed and returned. Neither confers a sense of security to a potential purchaser unless the shrink wrap is present.

In that sense, both methods serve the same purpose of dissuading second hand sales in that you get an inferior product. (Granted, Sly 4 doesn't do this, rather it offers a benefit to the new customer).

But I'm assuming this is going to become the norm on PS4/XBox3.

In the end it comes down to one question: which publishers will use the carrot, and which will use the stick?
It would (hopefully) put an end to EB Games' practice of opening all games to put behind the counter. In an ecosystem where a new game is mandatory you would be foolish to a) open games if you are a shop owner, and b) equally foolish to accept a game that wasn't shrink wrapped.

I don't like the idea of one use discs, and my 3G only area precludes me from Always Online, if that get's used. Which of the publishers doesn't want my money? Both? Could be.

Yagharek

It would (hopefully) put an end to EB Games' practice of opening all games to put behind the counter. In an ecosystem where a new game is mandatory you would be foolish to a) open games if you are a shop owner, and b) equally foolish to accept a game that wasn't shrink wrapped.

Out of interest, how would you propose they display what games they have?

I think the code on disc thing is probably a way of stopping people from buying the PS3 version and then selling off the Vita code.

Or the opposite I suppose buying the PS3 version and selling it off while keeping the Vita code.

Yagharek

I think the code on disc thing is probably a way of stopping people from buying the PS3 version and then selling off the Vita code.

Or the opposite I suppose buying the PS3 version and selling it off while keeping the Vita code.

That makes sense I guess. I'm personally more concerned as to what the tech may enable further down the line. At least in this case the powers are being used for good.

Out of interest, how would you propose they display what games they have?
They can still have and empty case on the shelves but just put the stock in the back room.

If my console goes off of a disc identifier I'm not going to be comfortable buying an opened game (especially from a retailer with a 7 day return policy) and as a retailer, I would no longer have a return policy unless the shrink wrap is unbroken. I'm not willing to take the chance that the disc has been used.

Once you've downloaded the Vita version there is nothing stopping you from selling the PS3 disc.

legend166

I can deal with the downsides of digital distribution on Steam (no resale) because I get the advantage of hugely discounted prices.

If console publishers are planning on implementing all the downsides of a digital distribution system into retail, but with none of the upsides, there's practically no chance I'll buy a PS4 or 720.

I was already leaning towards just going towards PC/Wii U, but it's getting firmer every day.

Omikron

Can't think of a more perfect time for you to come to the light side of the PC then, welcome brother.

PC is the worst for the sorta thing he is complaining about though, pretty much all games are linked to some form of online account, even multiple at times (although this is slowly going away) and there is 0 resale market.

Sure there are DRM free options, but that aren't what you would call mainstream.

Jintor

I can deal with the downsides of digital distribution on Steam (no resale) because I get the advantage of hugely discounted prices.

If console publishers are planning on implementing all the downsides of a digital distribution system into retail, but with none of the upsides, there's practically no chance I'll buy a PS4 or 720.

I was already leaning towards just going towards PC/Wii U, but it's getting firmer every day.

pretty much

Dead Man

PC is the worst for the sorta thing he is complaining about though, pretty much all games are linked to some form of online account, even multiple at times (although this is slowly going away) and there is 0 resale market.

Sure there are DRM free options, but that aren't what you would call mainstream.

Yeah, but the prices compensate for that.

Once you've downloaded the Vita version there is nothing stopping you from selling the PS3 disc.

Yeah I didn't think that all the way through heh although the double version is more expensive than the vita one you would still come out ahead with a trade in on the PS3 one if you went that way.

Yagharek

They can still have and empty case on the shelves but just put the stock in the back room.

If my console goes off of a disc identifier I'm not going to be comfortable buying an opened game (especially from a retailer with a 7 day return policy) and as a retailer, I would no longer have a return policy unless the shrink wrap is unbroken. I'm not willing to take the chance that the disc has been used.

It's not really plausible to have display cases for every single game in inventory. There are thousands of different titles. If you're not happy to take the risk (fair enough) shop elsewhere or request specifically an unopened game. But from a practical standpoint, some boxes will always need to be opened.

Can't think of a more perfect time for you to come to the light side of the PC then, welcome brother.

Fat fucking chance. PC has this stuff already all the way up the whazoo.

I had/have doubts on Wii U, but the problems it has (account setup and battery in the gamepad) are the far lesser evils at this stage in the game.

Exactly. I think the only PC games Ive got on the computer right now are cave story and free portal. And I havent signed into steam in a good 12 months.

Clipper

But the Sly 4 example is the first time I'm aware of where they have kept the redemption code on the disc itself (outside of the Jp PSP example you mention).
I think they can actually do this with all PS3 games. Back when they were trialling the PS Rewards program, one of the ways to earn points was to play a game off a new disc. They made a point of saying that this was for games that were newly purchased rather than new releases, or whatever. Unfortunately, the update delay for PS Rewards data was so long that it was impossible to tell exactly what you were receiving points for, or whether your games were being detected as new or not.

So having the code tied directly to the disc wasn't all that much of a surprise to me, as it's the only way they could achieve what they said was meant to happen with PS Rewards. The difference here is that the system clearly works now.

Whether it's used to block or hinder used games sales, we're yet to see, but I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised to see the method replacing Online Game Passes, though.

Fredescu

Yeah it's my 'studio', which is really just one end of my living room and isn't sound-treated so actually isn't a studio at all but it kind of feels like one so I dig it.

Is that a Cort bass? You could be AusGAF Cort Bass member #3!

How do you like the Dark Terror? Do you have to get it loud for it to sound good?

senahorse

Yeah I know, I was just prompting him for a response, I am a shit stirrer I guess :D

The DRM is horrible on PC for the most part, but something I have learnt to live with since I was using a code wheel and/or code book to get into the game in the first place. The resale doesn't bother me at all as I attribute worth to how many hours enjoyment I get out of something. Example, I bought Sonic Racing 2 for $20, I have already put in about 8 hours, money well spent. I could have bought the same game on a console for 3, 4 even 5 times the cost of that so on PC the disadvantage of not being able to sell on is far outweighed by the cheaper prices.

Sonic Racing 2 was $49 at launch on consoles!
Also it came out last year :)

Damn good prices from GMG though!
$40 on Steam is the typical $10 less than console price tag.

It's not really plausible to have display cases for every single game in inventory. There are thousands of different titles. If you're not happy to take the risk (fair enough) shop elsewhere or request specifically an unopened game. But from a practical standpoint, some boxes will always need to be opened.
I don't think I've bought more than one or two new games from EB or any other retailer that does this. While this is mostly from a price point of view, it's also because I don't agree with the practice, especially from a retailer that heavily promotes what comes down to a free 7 day rental program. I don't like paying full price for a new item when it may not be.

As a consumer, it's not my responsibility to come up with a way to protect themselves and their customers but it could be quite simple. One thought is that they could keep 4 or 5 display cases for popular items on the shelf and only one for old and seldom sold titles. You bring up a display case, they get a new copy from out the back (for the popular titles they could keep 10 unopened copies in the disc drawers that they'd no longer be using. In the downtime between customer's they could put the display cases back up (after checking with their stock management system). But like I said, it's not really my concern how they fix it but I'd think it would be in their best interest if these rumours becomes a reality.

senahorse

Sonic Racing 2 was $49 at launch on consoles!
Also it came out last year :)

Damn good prices from GMG though!
$40 on Steam is the typical $10 less than console price tag.

Oh well not the best example, still $30 cheaper, did it run at 1080P and 60fps on consoles, because for a racing game I crave those options.

Fusebox

Banned
Is that a Cort bass? You could be AusGAF Cort Bass member #3!

How do you like the Dark Terror? Do you have to get it loud for it to sound good?

It's a Peavey Grind sorry. I don't mind the Cort stuff though, pretty good for the price. You play bass? I'm not much of a bassist, I'm just fake it. What style do you play? Can you slap and pop?

I fucken love the DT. I used to have a Tiny Terror, then I ended up swapping some shmuck at work my old iPhone 4 for his Dark Terror. The extra gain and effects loop in the DT won the day and I sold the TT.

I don't have to run it very loud at all, in 7 watt mode I can get a sweet, creamy tone without disturbing the neighbours.

may I ask what you do in your studio?

Mostly just pretend I'm a musician. :p

Guitar stuff like this https://soundcloud.com/kaarma/down-an-up and electronic stuff like this https://soundcloud.com/kaarma/inside-outside

It would (hopefully) put an end to EB Games' practice of opening all games to put behind the counter.

Pretty much everywhere does this now, though. Big W, JB, KMart, you name it. Sometimes they'll grab a sealed copy from out back but the gutted copy from the folder under the counter is far and away the standard. Some places like Sanity even do it for CDs, DVDs and BRD.

Danoss

Re. audio guys, remember that a properly matched amp is also really important.

Much less of an issue for bookshelf speakers, but still worth keeping in mind. I think any stereo amp sold in an proper audio store would power them without even breaking a sweat. Floorstands are more demanding, of course.

Shaneus

Yes to the Vita, no to the exploit I just wanted to buy the game while it was on sale. What does the exploit let me do?

Btw those HS-50s look cute! ;) Here's my big boys:
The HS-50s seem to review a little bit better than the 80s, so nyer :p

(still have to drop another ~$500 or so for said sub, but still... better reviews ;) )

the Yamaha monitors are pretty much the defacto reference speaker in the world's studios, replacing the NS-10's. That's to say, if you get a mix to sound good on them, they'll sound good on pretty much anything

Fusebox- Nice guitar work. You put my simplistic guitar riffs to shame

Fredescu

You play bass? I'm not much of a bassist, I'm just fake it. What style do you play? Can you slap and pop?
I just fake it too. I took it up when I lived in a share house for a few years were we had a few guitar players, drums, and a guy who could sing pretty well, and a shed to play and record in. I always played guitar, but I had a shitty $50 bass and it was fun as hell to jam with, so I bought a decent one and took lessons so I could do proper fingerstyle rather than just playing it like a guitar. Then I became a boring family man and so did my jamming buddies and the bass doesn't get played much because it's sort of boring to play on it's own. I never did get around to learning slap/pop.

Shaneus

I'm just trying to compensate... :(
:)
Apparently they're still good if you're not planning on getting a sub, but it seems that it's the HS-50s that are able to get startlingly close in frequency response to the NS-10s (sans bottom end, obviously).

I've been considering getting a pair of these or a pair of KRK Rokit 5s for my little home studio.
Well, I can personally vouch for the Yamahas (not my pic BTW) but like I said, probably needs some decent, matched bottom end to get the most out of them. I'm not sure how the KRKs stack up, but there are enough options with it (such as frequency tweaking/cutoff) to get it sounding how you'd like without really compromising the sound in any way:

But like I said, I don't really have anything quality to compare them with other than my old man's NS-1000s (not actual photo, but exactly the same):
tudN5Ca.jpg

Given the size difference though, there's not exactly a lot that can be compared, other than the brand :/

the Yamaha monitors are pretty much the defacto reference speaker in the world's studios, replacing the NS-10's. That's to say, if you get a mix to sound good on them, they'll sound good on pretty much anything
You seem to know your shit. Remind me of that next time I try and pull a fast one on you.
FWIW, I actually bought mine before a lot of reviews were out there and the comparisons with the NS-10s were made (around '07 I think I bought mine?). For the price, it's fucking ridiculous that you can get studio monitors that the best around would happily endorse. But yeah, that ~$600 for the HS-10W is gonna hurt like a bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom